Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Unusual Saddle Sore - Advice Needed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Unusual Saddle Sore - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 12:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Yes, however, I suspect that this may weaken skin and remove protective oils, as that's effectively how it works. Showering with that several times a day to solve a specific issue before a ride a week ago contributed, I think, to a much greater general soreness during and after the subsequent ride beginning almost from the start; granted it was my longest of the season, but only by around 15%. It was successful, in that the trouble spot was okay for the ride, and I didn't develop any new ones, but it seems like it came at a cost. So my new strategy absent an issue is to only do that prophylactically once or twice in days immediately after a lot of time in sweaty shorts, and absent a specific issue not do it in days resting up before a long ride.
The good acne washes don't strip skin oils. They use gentler surfactants than most soaps. And the salicyclic acid helps remove dead skin and schmumph that clogs pores. Using this inexpensive stuff, I've had far fewer problems with psoriasis on my hands and scalp and fewer minor skin irritations around the groin caused by irritated hair follicles.

There are harsher acne washes, but this stuff uses the same ingredients as pricey face treatments like Eucerin: primarily glycerin, sodium laureth sulfate, with the addition of salicylic acid.

For folks with sensitive skin, first try it without scrubbing -- no washcloths, loofahs, buff puffs, etc.
Old 06-18-19, 01:13 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The good acne washes don't strip skin oils. They use gentler surfactants than most soaps. And the salicyclic acid helps remove dead skin and schmumph that clogs pores. Using this inexpensive stuff, I've had far fewer problems with psoriasis on my hands and scalp and fewer minor skin irritations around the groin caused by irritated hair follicles.

There are harsher acne washes, but this stuff uses the same ingredients as pricey face treatments like Eucerin: primarily glycerin, sodium laureth sulfate, with the addition of salicylic acid.

For folks with sensitive skin, first try it without scrubbing -- no washcloths, loofahs, buff puffs, etc.
The thing is that salicylic acid is not gentle. It actually works by weakening skin. The effect with a facial product is less because the concentration is limited, but it's actually the very same stuff as in corn remover. Put some on your face and realize that the "tight" feeling is actually a low-grade chemical burn; that's literally how it works to strip away the dead skin and other pore-clogging gunk.
Old 07-13-19, 09:12 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
After seeing earlier issues fade away in time to get in some long rides last month, I've been being annoyed by some heat-worsened groin-crease irritation on both sides even with only taking one short ride in the past week, and with an upcoming plan for a long ride, decided to give up any pretense of dignity and try some zinc oxide diaper rash ointment.

So last night after concluding a streaming TV binge I grab the tube out of the shopping bag, and thinking of a long ago visit to grandparent's when my siblings were younger and a half asleep parent grabbed the wrong tube from the travel toiletries to squeeze onto a toothbrush, start applying my purchase in the applicable area.

It has a creamier and less greasy consistency than expected, but no matter, I rub it in to the skin.

A moment later I notice that is has a very "fresh" feeling.

Actually it kind of stings.

Not "kind of" but quite a bit.

It's then that I realize that I'm holding the new tube of salicylic acid acne wash that was the other part of the plan

That's how I ended up taking a shower at almost 3am...

No conclusion yet on the actual zinc oxide beyond wondering how it will ever wash off, kind of wonder to what degree (if any?) it differs from sunscreen.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-13-19 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-14-19, 09:43 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
If you get saddle sores routinely something is wrong. Goal should not be to alleviate the current round of exceptional sores but to quit getting sore entirely.

Real basic. Stand on the pedals. If not sitting on saddle no saddle sores. Version 1.1 of standing on pedals is less weight on saddle, more weight on pedals. Yes, this means you are working harder and going faster. Not a bad thing.

Most common cause of saddle sores (no, I do not know this is OPs problem) is a high saddle. High saddle means hips are rocking and butt is dragged side-to-side over the saddle. No saddle, no shorts, no chamois cream is good enough to alleviate that abuse. Instead of measuring and consulting charts and formulae and experts, have a friend make a short video of yourself riding. Camera directly behind pedaling rider. Hips should be level and sit still. If hips are rocking the source of problem is found. If camera shows hips are still, well, there is more investigation to do.