General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bloody bee stings

Old 08-08-02, 10:26 AM
fofa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW! So what do you think is attracting them to your head/helmet?
Old 08-08-02, 10:53 AM
cowgirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by tokus
Ah another bee story...

When I was little I was at a 4-H fair and I was sitting on a bleacher swinging my feet and little did I know there was a hornets nest under the bleacher. These werent yellow jackets these were those red headed hornets and my my do they hurt. I accidentally kicked it and got swarmed but about 20 hornets and was stung repeatedly, I then proceeded to fall off the top of the bleacher and land on the ground. Which actually turned out good since I wasnt further injured and it scared the hornets off. A guy came over and told me to take weeds and rub them onto the sting, it really does help in case your ever in the middle of no where and have a sting. I ended up having about 40 stings on me, damn hornets and those smooth stingers.

Wasnt really cycling related but when there was talk of swarming i thought I'd share, also remember that trick with the weeds it helps.
Just make sure the weed isn't poison oak or poison ivy.
Old 08-08-02, 11:47 AM
Natophelia
Bambo

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Allez; STILL drooling over Specialized Epic from afar.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup...red heads. They like bright colors and shiney things. When I found out I was allergic I was 'ordered' to not wear bright colors, patterns, hairspray, or perfume. Yeah right..I was 12 and it was about 1989. Doh..just realized..the jerseys. Bee/wasp magnets. Hmmm...
Old 08-08-02, 03:56 PM
SoreBum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasp/Hornet Top Speed = 4 mph

My top speed = a heckuva lot faster!
Old 08-15-02, 07:34 PM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arg! I was stung today on my middle finger. A wasp got stuck in my gloves, and decided to sting his way out.
Old 08-15-02, 11:33 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been very lucky I guess. The last time I got stung while riding was about 12 years ago when a wasp flew into my mouth and stung the inside of my mouth before I could spit it out. Over the years since, I've had stinging insects bounce off random parts of my body but no stings. Recently I had one of those big fuzzy bumble-bees fly into my helmet and that kinda scared me. I nearly strangled myself getting the helmet off. The bee simply flew away. It probably was too confused to sting or something but those things are generally pretty harmless anyways. I'm glad I'm not allergic to any stings but I have often thought about carrying some anti-sting creme or something... as well I should probably carry a mini first-aid kit. I'm trying to limit the amount of stuff I do carry though. Anyone know of a really compact first-aid kit appropriate for cycling? I have a small seatbag that barely fits my mini-tool and I usually carry a tiny cellphone, wallet with credit cards, contact case in the event my contacts get all wonky on me, rx inserts for my sunglasses (same reason), and a couple of energy bars so my jersey pockets are fairly occupied. What do other people carry for emergencies/repairs/etc?
Old 08-16-02, 07:46 AM
Natophelia
Bambo

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Allez; STILL drooling over Specialized Epic from afar.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn Joe! uh..I can say damn right? Guess you'll let me know if I can't! What a wierd place to get stung. How'd the bee get in there???
Old 08-16-02, 10:36 AM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm lucky so far. Haven't physically encountered a bug while riding. Maybe it's the desert tempreture and lack of humidity. Maybe they dry out before they can fly too far
Old 08-30-02, 06:35 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by khuon
I've been very lucky I guess. The last time I got stung while riding was about 12 years ago
I must have jinxed myself. I just got back from a ride cut short because something (probably a wasp) managed to catch the airflow over my helmet and got deposited right on the back of my neck. I guess it was angry at being tumbled around and stung my right at the base of my neck. My neck and back are tingly. Grrrr... Funnily enough, there's not much swelling.
Old 09-03-02, 09:35 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by vlad
Ethylene glycol antifreeze, which has a sweet taste, kills people, dogs, cats etc. I have read that as little as four oz will kill a person.

It might work for insects too. I have not tried it. Put the dish where your pets cannot reach it.
It sure will kill insects. It is used by entomologists in numerous passive trapping systems. But I think your scheme would not be that effective. Insects exist in tremendous populations. We are living in the "Age of Insects" afterall. It would be impossible to put a big enough dent in the bee and wasp population to affect one's chance of an accidental sting whilst riding. Besides, nearly all bees and wasps are beneficial. Bees are invaluable for pollination (nearly all of our fruits and vegetables are dependent on bee pollination). And virtually all wasps prey on insect pests.
Old 09-03-02, 09:41 AM
Pat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by joeprim
If the bees/wasps were attracted to you using a Deet type repelent will keep them away. If it was a random collision it may not help as much. People tell me that regular "Skin-So-Soft" also works as a repellent.
HTH
Joe
I doubt that this would have any effect. Deet interferes with the detection apparatus for flying blood sucking insects like mosquitos and maybe no see ums, black flies, horse flies etc.

Wasps and bees generally sting in nest defense or when you whomp them a good one (like running into the little girls when you are riding your bike). Did you know that the males don't sting? The sting is a modified ovipositer (egg layer). So the bee or wasp does not care if you are smeared with Deet or not.

The only possible exception might be yellow jackets. Yellow jackets are mighty fond of sweet stuff and can be real pains at picnics. Deet might interfere with their ability to detect food. But they are coming after your food and not you. I don't know anyone who puts Deet on their food.
Old 09-03-02, 09:44 AM
Pat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Cdude
Wasp are bastards that piss people off and serve no purpose in nature. Fun to piss them off though when they can't touch you.
Nearly all wasps are predators of insect pests. Nearly all wasps are beneficial insects. Some wasps are so effective at curbing pests that they are introduced into areas where foreign insect pest have become a problem.

Of course, to the wasp, I suppose that people are pests who serve no purpose. It all sort of depends on your viewpoint.
Old 09-03-02, 09:48 AM
Pat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by SoreBum
Wasp/Hornet Top Speed = 4 mph

My top speed = a heckuva lot faster!
I think it would be a lot faster than that. Honey bees and yellow jackets and paper wasps might be that slow. But I think bald faced hornets would go somewhere over 10 mph. They are big, fast and hot tempered.

Some friends of mine and I were riding through a forested area and we were hotly pursued by deer flies. We found that the deer flies could draft in our slipstream at a certain speed. I think it was 12 mph.
Old 09-03-02, 01:15 PM
joeprim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes those deer flies are as bad as anything and are hard to out rund in a lot of off road conditions. I seem to have luck with the Skin-so-soft as a repelant.

Yes Pat I didn't mean it would do a lot to prevent most bee stings sinch they are usually caused by accidental collisions but maybe it would reduce the few that were do to some other attraction.

Joe
Old 09-03-02, 01:35 PM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaaah, stinging demon stories....

I always remember the time I saw a wasp the size of a 747 drowning in a jar of water....I tipped the jar, figuring that the waterlogged insect wouldn't be able to come after me until it dried out. No luck, it zoomed up immediately and headed right for my face, sounding like a dirt bike motor. Fortunately, I was close to a door. (No kidding, this thing was about 4 or 5 inches long! Never saw anything like it.)

My dog loves to snap bees and wasps out of the air. One of these days she'll miss and get stung in the throat or something.

Another lovely wasp memory was when I was running a paper route through Oneida...I took some old, soggy Buyer's Guides out of a delivery box, only to realize that they were COVERED with wasps, apperently nesting. I threw the papers out the car window and floored it. Only got two stings out of it, that time...I was lucky. I don;t take old soggy papers out of the boxes anymore, except occasionally and carefully....and if possible, I wait for winter to do it.

The wasps like to try to build nests over the library's back door. Once when I came out, one zipped down and stung me on the lip. My lip swelled up, and it gave my whole face the most awful, lop-sided, mentally-deficient expression. I walked around for two weeks looking like someone whose entire vocabilary probably consisted of "Duuuhhhh....."

My only other fond memory of wasps is from the time I was driving along leaning on the car windowsill and one went up my sleeve. BTW, the last three incidents all happened in one year. Must have been a good year for flying nasties.
Old 09-03-02, 03:08 PM
neguypdx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny that this subject would come up....

I was out riding last week and was zipping along and OUCH, a bee hit my shin and sunk its venom in. I haven't been stung in years. I forgot how much it does sting and how big of a swell my body produces. I think I will pack some anti-sting medication when I go on my cross country tour next summer. I hope I don't get West Nile!
Old 09-03-02, 07:05 PM
joeprim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Inkwolf
Aaaah, stinging demon stories....

I always remember the time I saw a wasp the size of a 747 drowning in a jar of water....I tipped the jar, figuring that the waterlogged insect wouldn't be able to come after me until it dried out. No luck, it zoomed up immediately and headed right for my face, sounding like a dirt bike motor. Fortunately, I was close to a door. (No kidding, this thing was about 4 or 5 inches long! Never saw anything like it.)
Ink
It sounds like we used to have in New Mexico called Trancilla (sp?) hawks. They would fight with trancillas usually winning stinging and laying eggs in the poor over size nonspider. I got to look at one close up that was drunk on fermented watermellon. Yes 4 inches across!
Joe
Old 09-03-02, 07:11 PM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by joeprim

Ink
It sounds like we used to have in New Mexico called Trancilla (sp?) hawks. They would fight with trancillas usually winning stinging and laying eggs in the poor over size nonspider. I got to look at one close up that was drunk on fermented watermellon. Yes 4 inches across!
Joe
Well, dang, what was it doing in Wisconsin? No tarantulas here....
Old 09-04-02, 10:20 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in Virginia we called em Cicada Killers (or cicada wasp).
The first time I saw one I nearly passed out (I had this thing
for wasps). We had this huge tulip tree in the back yard
where the not so little bastards built a nest.
I heard of one person who was stung by
one of these beasts and said it was excruciating.

Funny thing (slightly off topic) in South Africa the wasps
are rather docile but the bees are aggresive, exact opposite
of here (at least for now).

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-04-02, 12:56 PM
joeprim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back when we had horses putting vinigar in their water kept the horse/deer flies away. Will that work for people?

Actually I find wasps to be fairly nonaggtessive. Sure if it gets caught in you cloths, but I've not been botherd even workiing fairly close to their nest. They do eat mosquitos so I try not to bother them.

Joe

Old 08-12-09, 08:38 PM
Prusinski

Bikes: Rans Screamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bicycle helmet mounted face screen keeps them out while moving. We call it "MyBugScreen".com and just for safety, it does keep most bugs out of your face, eyes, mouth, ears and nose. Some do get in, but most don't. I'm not supposed to solict here and I'm trying not to, but the screen does add safety to your biking experience. www.gbnpro.com Just an FYI - Bob.
Old 08-12-09, 09:17 PM
The Toninator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Epic. You should get an award.
Your pal,
t
Old 08-15-09, 09:36 PM
lmtada

Bikes: Trek Fuel 100, GT Road Bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a hobby beekeeper and I get stung everyday that I see them. When I first started about 50 bites a day. Now maybe 2x month. They are attracted to heat/sweat. As long as you are calm around them and not swatting at them they will not hurt you. Always scratch the stinger out if you are stung. The barb in the stinger is pumping venom into you, so the sooner you get it out the less poison will be in you.Wasps however are different. They will attack you unprovoked. They like sugar. To kill wasps set up a container of coke or sugar water in a can. They will land and not be able to fly away and drown. Horsefly's are the worst, big stings and itchy.
Cheers Marc'o
Keep cycling
Old 08-16-09, 01:27 AM
mushrooshi
Hills scare me.

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone hear about that skateboard guy, he died.

EDIT: Name was Andy Kessler

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/14...ngs/index.html
Old 08-16-09, 03:12 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay - you opened a thread that lay dormant for 7 years. I won't ask why. But I'll give you a bit of entomology: Though only bees are known for this, wasps, too (and yellow-jackets) are attracted by floral scents. If you wear aftershave - it likely has a floral scent. You are, in effect, inviting them. And what color clothing you wear also can invite them over to get a buzz. Yellow is their favorite. Wearing a darker color and forgetting the aftershave, cologne, perfume, etc - will reduce your likelihood of being sought out and stung.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.