Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Riding in the Phoenix Metro area

Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Riding in the Phoenix Metro area

Old 08-29-16, 07:43 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Addendum to yesterday's ride

Shoulder blades are sore. Doesn't quite feel like my lats. It's not bad. Just stiff. Did some stretches. Feels better.

I was trying to ride more relaxed yesterday. Someone told me to think of the elbows as shock absorbers not support pillars. So I worked on it yesterday. Maybe the soreness is a good thing? Maybe I need to work out my upper body.
Old 09-06-16, 02:41 PM
locolobo13 

Rose Mofford Sports Complex

I had planned a 35-40 miler yesterday morning. Went bowling Sunday evening. Strained (or is it sprained) the back of my leg. So I chickened out yesterday morning.

Too bad. The weather was perfect. 70F, low humidity, etc. But I went for a short ride yesterday afternoon. Partly just to see how bad things were. There was a little soreness but not much.

You'll find the pix here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/res1du...57671294911851

I started north on 23rd Ave. All the way until it ends a block or two north of Dunlap. Then west to 25th Ave, north to the Arizona Canal. East on the Arizona Canal Trail to the Cave Creek Trail. Cross the Arizona Canal Flood Control Drainage canal, then quickly cross to the west side of the Cave Creek Drainage.

There is a park on your left as you go north. I think of this whole area as the Rose Mofford Sports Complex.

Rose Mofford Sports Complex by res1due, on Flickr

There are playgrounds, soccer fields, basketball, tennis, handball, and either baseball or softball fields. As you can expect the park was very empty yesterday. I entered on the north side by this saguaro.

Saguaro by res1due, on Flickr

Here's the view looking into the park.

Same place looking SW by res1due, on Flickr

There's an Exercise area with all kinds of stations.

Exercise Area by res1due, on Flickr

and don't forget to smell the flowers.

Bird of Paradise by res1due, on Flickr

Statistics
13.2 mi
1 hr 2 min riding time
Kept it in lower gears and took my time.
Old 09-11-16, 09:46 PM
locolobo13 

Sahuaro Ranch Park

Went for a ride this afternoon. Decided to go to Sahuaro Ranch Park. It is the site of a historic ranch in Glendale.

[IMG]Sahuaro Ranch Park by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahuaro_Ranch

Pix are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/res1du...57671294911851

The start today was the same as last week. North on 23rd Ave to Mission ln north of Dunlap. Then work over to 25th Ave and the Arizona Canal. Today I went west crossing under the I17 freeway.

[IMG]I17 underpass by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Continue on the trail until 35th Ave. Cross under 35th Ave, then cross to the south side of the canal, continue west on the south side. About a half mile up you will find an alley going west.

[IMG]Leaving the Arizona Canal by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I took it. It's only a couple hundred yards long. Next time I'll go around. It is the shortcut though. Watch for broken glass and other sharp debris. Dogs barked all the way thru.

On the other side I had to go around a school, then worked my way to 43rd Ave. From there I went to Mountain View Rd, crossed and continued west. From here continue west to 59th Ave. The park is on the west side of 59th Ave. There was a tractor in front.

[IMG]Tractor by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I wondered around a bit. Tried to shoot a peacock. But he was uncooperative. If you go thru to the other side of the park it has normal park amenities; BBQ, kiddie playground, etc. Somebody offered me something from the BBQ. But I politely declined.

To return I went east on Mountain View back to 47th Ave. South to Maryland, west to 23rd Ave, then south back into my neighborhood. Stopping at a convenience store for a gatorade.

The temp was 103 F when I started. The wind was mostly WSW around 6 mph.

21.2 mi
99 min riding time, little more than 2 hrs total time.
Old 09-16-16, 02:36 PM
TheNormanRider

Bikes: IZip E3 Path+, Specialized Diverge A1, GMC Denali, Roadmaster Quarry Ridge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Subscribed!
Old 09-19-16, 02:17 PM
locolobo13 

Peoria Loop

Peoria Loop by res1due, on Flickr

Rode out to Peoria yesterday. Temp was 104F with a SW breeze around 2mph when I left a little after 3PM. Pix are here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/res1due/albums

The first leg of this ride is the same as last weeks. Started north on 23rd Ave from my home near Campbell. After crossing Dunlap, turn left on Mission ln, then go over to 25th Ave. North to the Arizona Canal. This week though I don't cross the canal at 35th Ave. Kept going down the main MUP. Here is a shot of the Peoria & 43rd Ave underpass.

Crossing Peoria on the Arizona Canal by res1due, on Flickr

A little more than a half mile ahead you come to a water treatment plant. There are pedestrian bridges crossing both the canal & the flood control channel. You can see both in this pic.

Crossing the Arizona Canal by res1due, on Flickr

I crossed to the SW side here, continued NW to the north side of the water treatment plant. There is access to Cholla St. here. Continue west on Cholla. All the way to 83rd Ave. Here I turn south and cross Grand Ave. There is more than one way to cross Grand along here and I crossed at the first crossing which is Peoria Ave. I circled back around to 83rd Ave & Washington St, then south. I stopped for a few pix of the Peoria Historical Society's museums. After finding a suitable place to park my bike.

Peoria Historical Society by res1due, on Flickr
Farming Equipment by res1due, on Flickr
Farming Equipment by res1due, on Flickr

After leaving downtown Peoria I went to a "Wally World" at Peoria and 79th Ave to get a Gatorade. From there I went southish on Cotton Crossing to Whitney Rd, turned left. I suppose they are planning on developing this empty spot because they have a round about here.

Roundabout to Nowhere by res1due, on Flickr

Whitney turns into 79th Ave which leads to Olive Ave. Turned left at Olive and went to 75th Ave. Turned south on 75th Ave. Stopping near Northern to take a shot of the Agua Fria Power Plant.

Agua Fria Generating Plant by res1due, on Flickr

Continuing south on 75th I turned left at Glendale. Rode east to 73rd Ave, then went south to Maryland. Turned east on Maryland. From here it is straight east to 23rd Ave. Then south back home. The only thing to add is I ran out of Gatorade about 7 mi from home. My tongue was dry when I got home.

27.3mi
120 min riding time.
Old 09-19-16, 03:21 PM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking rides and I have enjoyed your reports which have inspired me to checkout the canals a bit more than I already have.
Old 09-20-16, 07:42 AM
locolobo13 

Thanks Bruce,

Hopefully this blog is helps people riding in the area.
Old 09-25-16, 08:40 PM
locolobo13 

Max Delta Mine

This morning I rode to the Max Delta Mine in South Mountain Park. Despite a google search I don't know much about it. Discovered in 1895, in production from 1913-1942. Described as a Au-Ag-Cu mine. You can read more here:

Max Delta Mine, Arizona - Ghost Towns of Arizona and Surrounding States

You can find the pix here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/res1du...57671294911851

The ride begins as my previous rides to South Mountain. South on 23rd Ave to Osborn, west to 24th Ave, south to Thomas. Where I had breakfast at McD.

From McD E. to 23rd Ave. Then worked my way to Encanto & 19th Ave. East to 5th Ave and South to Van Buren, downtown Phx. Made my way to 1st Ave then headed south. Stopped at the RR tracks to shoot a couple of pix.

Crossing the tracks by res1due, on Flickr

Not sure why they made this so convoluted. It is very easy to walk around. It looks like some did.

Perhaps a warning? by res1due, on Flickr

Anyways, back on 1st Ave, heading south. 1st Ave merges with Central, continue south. I stopped at Circle K at Dobbins and Central for a powerade and snack. On into the park.

One of the reasons I rode here today is Silent Sunday. What does that mean? On Silent Sundays Most of the interior roads are closed to motor vehicles. That doesn't mean you can ride carelessly. There is still the need to watch for other cyclists, pedestrians and their dogs, and park vehicles. I only saw one park vehicle. But there were plenty of people enjoying the park this morning.

On the climbs I was huffing and puffing. I rode to the 3 way junction of Central Ave, San Juan Rd and Summit Rd. The trail to the Max Delta Mine is just past this junction on the south side of San Juan Rd.

I pushed my bike up an old unpaved road about a quarter mile. Then parked.

Parked here by res1due, on Flickr

Notice the handlebar bag? I got a new camera. A Sony A6000. It's pretty cool. Used it last week but there is a problem. It doesn't fit in my pocket. Riding with an expensive camera slung around my upper body doesn't seem like a good idea. Last week I put it in the backpack. With the result I hardly used it.

So this week I got a cheap handlebar bag. I don't think it is going to be my final solution. But it works. I could stop, unzip the bag and pull the camera out. Gotta a lot to learn tho. Been using pocket-able PowerShots for years.

There are no standing structures left. And I don't really know what the floor plans are saying. Here are a few pix.

Looks like a fireplace by res1due, on Flickr
Another level by res1due, on Flickr
Inevitable Art at Max Delta by res1due, on Flickr

The facility keeps going up another level. Concrete floors, piles of slag, floors again, piles of rock, etc. Didn't go to all the levels. Didn't want to get too far from my bike. Probably didn't need to worry because I didn't see anybody. I wondered around about a half hour. Then pushed my bike back to the pavement.

One of my long term goals is to climb to Gila Lookout near the towers at the top. I'm more afraid of coming back down than going up. So experimentally I went up the Summit Rd to the Ranger Trail. It is about a half mile from the junction.

I learned something important on that half mile. I pulled in behind four riders on road bikes. Behind them because I know I'm slow. But I wasn't. They were only doing 6mph up that part. Started to pull around them but that would have meant a real effort and I wasn't going that far. So I stayed behind them. Guess what? When I got to the Ranger Trail crossing I was neither huffing nor puffing! Gotta remember to pace myself better. Nice view at the crossing.

Ranger Trail & Summit Rd by res1due, on Flickr

Coming back down wasn't a problem. OTOH I was just coasting. The gears on the 3700 aren't high enough to add power even if I had wanted to.

Well it was time to head home. Stopped once on Central to snap this shot.

Street Art by res1due, on Flickr

Cutting through downtown I took a few shots. But I'm not really happy with them. Nothing wrong with the camera. The photographer just has to learn a few things. One of the pix is in the album. The potted plant. Meh.

From downtown it's up 3rd Ave to the QuikTrip on Indian School Rd. There I got a chocolate milk and walked the bike up 3rd Ave while sipping chocolate.

Stats:
Rode 31.0 mi, 2 hrs 25 min
Walked or hiked 0.8 mi, 36 min, well maybe another 1/4 mi while drinking the chocolate milk.
Temps were cool. Drank 1 powerade, then the chocolate milk. Last time I rode to South Mountain it was closer to a half gallon of tea and gatorade before getting to QuikTrip.
Old 10-02-16, 04:24 PM
locolobo13 

Tempe Town Lake via the Crosscut Canal

[IMG]Tempe Town Lake Ride by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Rode to Tempe Town Lake this morning. The album is here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/res1du...57674686671015

I recorded the workout and map on Endomondo.

https://www.endomondo.com/users/1891...outs/815770225

Started around 5:20 AM. It was around 70-75 F with an light easterly wind. I went east on Campbell to 7th Ave. There I got on the Grand Canal, then kept going east. I intended to eat breakfast at McDs at Indian School Rd and 10th St. But they weren't open yet. So I stopped at the QT at Thomas.

Then it was back on the Grand Canal to Oak St. I got on Oak St going east. All the way to the Crosscut Canal. From about 40th St East I could feel the rise of the land gradually getting steeper. Along with the east wind I reached the top of the not quite a hill doing 8 or so mph. The Crosscut Canal was about a mile further. There was a rest stop and a bridge there.

Crossing the Crosscut Canal by res1due, on Flickr

Turn south here. Stay on the west side. It's not too far to McDowell Rd. South of here the canal borders Papago Park. I stayed on the canal path until I saw these people.

[IMG]Papago Park by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Don't know who they were but they were greeting the sunrise. Continuing south I come to a holding pond. I tried a few shots of the pond and several of its damn. I wasn't impressed with my photography. A couple are in the album. Looking west I could see south Phoenix was getting a good rain. Looks like the rain is moving north into my neighborhood.

[IMG]It's raining in south Phx by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I continued on down to the lake. There was some kind of running event going on. I had to wait for a break in traffic (joggers) to cross the path that goes around the lake. Then I enjoyed the view.

[IMG]Mill Ave Bridge by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the weather.

[IMG]Interesting cloud pattern by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I liked the patterns. And the camera did catch it. But it is getting closer. Time to head home. Maybe I can beat it. So I got on Washington and headed west. Stopping for one more pic.

[IMG]New Construction by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

They're really coming along with this project. I'm hoping they're going to open the Grand Canal path behind it soon. And the rain is getting close. It started sprinkling lightly on me within the mile. Getting heavier as I go.

I stopped at the Circle K at 44th St and bought a bottle of Tea. Got a plastic bag to put my electronics in as well. After standing on their porch about 5 min I decided, "To heck with it" and rode on into the rain. The wind was behind me now so it didn't feel bad.

I got on the Grand Canal and rode back to Thomas. There I stopped at Dunkin Donuts and had some coffee and a donut. Something about rainy weather makes me crave coffee and sweets.

From here it is 5 mi to home. It was sprinkling enough I didn't want to get my camera out anyway. It was never hard but enough to get me wet. But if you live here then the occasional rain is actually refreshing.

Stats:
27.4 mi
2 hrs 10 min riding

Forgot to pause Endomondo while eating breakfast and the donut later.
Old 10-10-16, 05:01 PM
locolobo13 

Fountains & Locks Ride

I rode NW this morning. I screwed up my workout on Endomondo so sorry about that. The gallery is here if you're more interested in the pix.

Started north on 23rd Ave. North of Glendale I cut easterly through the neighborhood to get to McD at Northern near 19th Ave. Had breakfast there. After breakfast I crossed the street to Circle K and got a powerade.

Then back to 23rd Ave north past Dunlap to Mission ln. Thru the business neighborhood to the Arizona Canal. Northwesterly on the Canal Trail to Skunk Creek. Skunk Creek is going SW here. Follow it.

There was a coyote howling in the creek. At first I had no idea what it was. Then it dawned. If not for that I never would have seen it.

[IMG]Coyote in Skunk Creek by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

About a half mile further decided to shoot this.

[IMG]Daisy, Sunflower or Weed? by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Almost immediately after you come to Rio Vista Community Center.

[IMG]Crossing New River by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

There is a lot of playgrounds with all kinds of stuff for the kids to play on. I stopped here to take a break. Tried some shots but pix of playground toys without kids is kinda blah.

After my break I crossed New River. The Trail continues north along the west side of the river. My intention was to cross New River again at Rose Garden ln. But I missed it. After crossing under Deer Valley Rd I looked at my map. It looked like I could cross maybe another half mile north. Of course I could cross at Deer Valley but where's the fun in that?

About a half mile north the concrete path ends. The map shows it going on as an unpaved trail. There was a gravel road going east-west here. I crossed on that road. At the end of the road just before getting back on pavement I found this.

[IMG]Don't know what this was by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

No idea what it was. BTW I'm in Glendale on the east side, the west side of New River is Peoria. I got on Hillcrest Blvd and went east to 71st Ave. Then south to Arrowhead Loop Rd.

[IMG]Fountain by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From here I went south on 71st Ave to the 101. Realized I couldn't cross. After looking at my map I back tracked to Arrowhead Loop Rd and went east to 63rd where there is a pedestrian bridge over the 101.

[IMG]Ped Bridge over the 101 by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

What's that stuff in the fence?

[IMG]More Locks by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]and more by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]and more by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Interesting. No idea how or why tho. From here I continue south on 63rd Ave. Stopping at Dos Lagos Park at Utopia Rd for this shot.

[IMG]Fountain at Dos Lagos Park by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Continue south on 63rd Ave to Union Hills Rd. Make sure you don't follow Utopia. It was an easy mistake. At Union Hills go east to Skunk Creek and get on. The southeast side is better but it doesn't matter as you can cross a little down stream.

About a half mile on I came to Sunset Vista Park. Here I got on 64th Dr and continued south to Grovers Ave. On Grovers I went east to 63rd Ave again. From Grovers I went south back to the Arizona Canal and home.

The weather is still warm. But cooler than a few weeks ago!

The numbers:
41.3 mi
3 hrs 9 min

My legs were tired and my rear hurt. Been doing too many shorter rides over the summer.
Old 10-17-16, 05:02 PM
locolobo13 

Reach 11

Yesterday I rode the Reach 11 Recreational Area. It appears to be a large flood control area. Even without flooding the dike along the CAP (Central Arizona Project) canal holds a little more water than the surrounding desert/city.

If you're more interested in pix go here.

The endomondo for the first segment, near home to the east end of Reach 11 is here.

https://www.endomondo.com/users/1891...outs/822402772

I started north on 23rd Ave to Citrus Way, east to 21st Ave, north to Maryland, then east. Continue east to 14th St. There I turned north and went to Glendale. At Glendale & 16th St I had breakfast at McDs.

After breakfast I stopped at the service station across the street for a Gatorade. Then north on 16th St to Myrtle. East to Dreamy Draw Dr. North to the end of the street. The Dreamy Draw Bikeway begins here. Get on it. The bikeway goes northeasterly. I stopped and crossed the pedestrian bridge. Just to enjoy the view.

Then back to riding. The bikeway ends at 32nd St. Continue east on Mountain View Rd. Turn north at 36th St. Continue north to Thunderbird Rd. Turn east. Continue east to 64th St. From here go north to Paradise ln and turn east. At 68th St turn north. About a half mile up you come to Bell and the end of the road.

REACH 11 by res1due, on Flickr

For some reason I thought I would be able to access the area from 68th St. It is on the other side of that dike. I crossed Bell and looked around. Then at my map. Decided to go east and find the eastern most access point. That meant going to Scottsdale Rd. Saw this interesting spire.

FLW Spire by res1due, on Flickr

After goofing off here I went north on Scottsdale to the next street cutting west, Princess blvd. Just west I found the entrance.

REACH 11 by res1due, on Flickr

I had to dismount. Then just followed the trail. The endomondo workout for the trail riding is here.

https://www.endomondo.com/users/1891...outs/822503043

My recollection of google maps told me to head for the trail as close to the CAP dike as possible. The trail was a smooth level gravel road. There are a few gullies.

Inside REACH 11 by res1due, on Flickr

Now we're going generally west. There is a lot of mesquite and other desert plants in here. The only wildlife I saw was lizards and some quail. I saw this massive gate(?) structure and wondered. Do they open it to water the recreational area? If so I'd like to see that.

Massive Flood Gate by res1due, on Flickr

As you're riding along you can see the Mayo Clinic to the north.

Mayo Clinic by res1due, on Flickr

I'm running out of time so I'll finish up later.
Old 10-17-16, 05:23 PM
johnu 

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great posts! Thanks for sharing. I rode a lot of those trails last winter doing the "snowbird" thing near South Mountain. This winter I'll be next to the canal trail in Scottsdale and Hayden Rd trails to the east.
Old 10-17-16, 07:32 PM
locolobo13 

Thanks Johnu. It's amazing how many riding paths and trails there are around here.
Old 10-17-16, 07:41 PM
TheNormanRider

Bikes: IZip E3 Path+, Specialized Diverge A1, GMC Denali, Roadmaster Quarry Ridge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those locks on the fence are love locks. Couples use them to symbolize their love and devotion to each other; in essence, it's supposed to be unbreakable. My wife and I put one on a fence in Paris; it was a designated site just for that purpose and there were thousands of locks secured. The couples oftentimes put their initials on the locks as well. Just a silly little thing.
Old 10-17-16, 07:59 PM
locolobo13 

Reach 11 Part 2

Shortly later I came to the 56th St bridge. Continuing west on the path nearest the dike the foliage gets thicker. There was sacred datura and castor beans. My shots of the datura didn't come out. But here's one of a castor bean plant. At least I think it's castor beans.

[IMG]Castor Beans by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

The trail doesn't go under Tatum Blvd. Instead I come to a gate I can't roll my bike thru. Had to lift it over head and walk around a little. But got there. On the other side I somehow found myself on a paved road. Should've gone further south. I pass by the Horse Lover's Park. They are having some kind of show. I didn't stop tho. When I got to the west side of the Horse Lover's Park I cut south until I found the trail again. Soon enough I come to the 51 freeway.

[IMG]the 51 by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

The desert is more open between the 51 and the 101. While going under the 101 I see another biker coming from the left. It turns out it goes up on the dike. I didn't hop on it right away but 1/4 mi later there was an obvious cut where bikes have gone up and down the dike. I walked my bike up there. The view was nice!

[IMG]CAP lookin West by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]CAP structure by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I decide to ride up here for a while. Shortly I pass soccer fields.

[IMG]Soccer anybody? by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I can't imagine that many people playing soccer that close together. The soccer fields are near the end of the Reach 11. I continue on the dike to Deer Valley. Now I'm back on the road. The endomondo workout is here.

https://www.endomondo.com/users/1891...outs/822545033

From here it is pretty much a straight shot. South on Cave Creek to Hatcher. Then west to 7th Ave, south to the Arizona Canal, west to 15th Ave then home.

Going south on Cave Creek I stop at the first Quik Trip for an iced tea. It tastes pretty good! Further south at Grovers Basin Park I stop for another couple of pics.

[IMG]Grover's Basin Dog Park by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Grover's Basin Park B by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

There are a lot of tracks going under the road here. But there were too many people camped under there for me to follow them.

Another block south I see some unique statues.

[IMG]Metal Cowboy by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Metal Horse by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm intrigued by the cowboy but I really like the horse. As I said above it is pretty straight shot home.

Numbers:
45.6 mi 3hrs 38min riding time. Total time was around 5.5hrs. I sure goof off a lot.
Weather was better. Still warm by 11 AM tho.
Old 10-17-16, 09:05 PM
locolobo13 

Originally Posted by TheNormanRider View Post
Those locks on the fence are love locks. Couples use them to symbolize their love and devotion to each other; in essence, it's supposed to be unbreakable. My wife and I put one on a fence in Paris; it was a designated site just for that purpose and there were thousands of locks secured. The couples oftentimes put their initials on the locks as well. Just a silly little thing.
Cool. Some of the locks did have hearts drawn on them.
Old 10-23-16, 07:48 PM
locolobo13 

The Old Crosscut Canal Path

I decided to ride to the Old Crosscut Canal Path this morning. If you are more interested in pix the album is here:

Remembered to record the ride on Endomondo. The map is here:

https://www.endomondo.com/users/1891...outs/825624413

Started out on Campbell going east. Got on the Grand Canal at 7th Ave. Continued east. The Grand Canal was quiet. A few pedestrians another bike or two. The sun rose above the horizon by the time I got to Washington.

At Washington I went east to 48th St. From there north to McDowell where the Old Crosscut Canal starts. The crosscut canal connects the Arizona Canal to the Grand Canal. The current Crosscut Canal is another mile or so east. This one appears to follow 48th St. Probably at the time that was the eastern edge of Phoenix.

I think there were a group of National Guardsmen getting ready to run the path. They were grouped near McDowell in shorts and T-shirts. When I got to Thomas there was a single guy in camos standing there with a stop watch. This sign is from just before Thomas.

[IMG]Old Crosscut Canal Trail by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

The path had several joggers, people walking their dogs and a few bikes. But mostly it was a quiet Sunday morning.

[IMG]Old Crosscut Canal Trail by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Just past Indian School Rd you come to the Arizona Canal. I turned west there. Along this section there are no underpasses to get past the major streets. But it's early Sunday morning. The underpasses start at 24th St.

Crossing 24th St by res1due, on Flickr

The sign says to dismount and walk your bike thru the tunnel. That's what I did on my birthday ride. But several bikers that day blew thru there like it was a raceway. It was too narrow. I opted to cross 24th St instead this morning.

A little further along you pass the 24th St. Water Treatment Plant. Then quickly come to Granada Park. Here are a couple of shots.

[IMG]Granada Park by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Granada Park by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

People come here to fish and/or feed the birds. There were a lot of pigeons, ducks and geese queueing up.

From the park I get on Maryland and continue west to the 51 Freeway. Got a shot of the tunnel entrance there.

[IMG]Under the 51 by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then Maryland west to 21st Ave. 21st Ave south to Camelback Rd. Just east of 21st Ave on Camalback Rd is a pub with some murals. Here's one of the shots.

[IMG]Murals by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From there it was a quick and easy ride home. Numbers
23.9 mi
1 hr, 48 min riding time.

Weather was nice this morning.
Old 10-30-16, 08:03 PM
locolobo13 

CAP Trail around Deem Hills Loop

Went for a ride this morning. North to the CAP canal. Then followed the trail along the CAP west to Stetson Valey Pkwy, just west of the Deem Hills. I messed up the workout in Endomondo. But I created a route of the basic loop I followed from the Arizona Canal at 25th Ave and back to it. The route is here.

https://www.endomondo.com/routes/829094357

The album is here.

Starting out north on 23rd Ave I proceeded to McDs on Northern near 19th Ave. Got my usual coffee and had breakfast there. After breakfast I got back on 23rd Ave and went to 25th Ave & the Arizona Canal. From there to the Cave Creek Trail where I rode north. By the time I got to Thunderbird Rd it was getting light.

[IMG]Cave Creek Park by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From there I crossed Tbird, rode west to 26th Ave and went north. At Winchcomb Dr I turned right and follwed it.
Winchcomb Dr turns back into 23rd Ave. 23rd Ave ends where at Paradise ln. There is a sidewalk there continuing north. Follow it to Grandview Rd, get back on 23rd and keep going.

At Bell Rd 23rd ends. I moved over to 21st Ave and continued north. A quarter mile north of Union Hills Rd 21st Ave ends. Fear not. Go one block west to 20th Dr and continue. At Utopia Rd 20th Dr ends. There are several ways to get there but I'm aiming for the QTrip on the north side of the park on 19th Ave. Got a bottle of iced tea there.

North of the 101 freeway 19th Ave has a bike lane. There were balloons out this morning. It looked like they were
actually over Deer Valley Airport. But as I passed the airport they were north of it. They appeared to stay about a mile north of me as I continued.

At Happy Valley Rd I turned west and got on Norterra Pkwy going north. Followed Norterra all the way to the CAP canal. The CAP trail starts here just before you cross the canal.

[IMG]The CAP trail starts here. by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Continuing about a half mile you come to this.

[IMG]Skunk Creek Crossing the CAP by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Got a decent shot of a Sacred Datura there.

[IMG]Sacred Datura by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Around the bend a little ways you get a good look at the pedestrian bridge crossing I17. One of the reasons I came this way was just to get a better look at it.

[IMG]Getting closer to the bridge by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Ped Bridge over I17 by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Ped Bridge over I17 by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Less than a half mile past the bridge I come to a gate into the neighborhood.

[IMG]Gateway to the neighborhood by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

This was my "bailout point" if I didn't feel like going all the way around the Deem Hills. But I could see the hills. They were calling to me.

Too many pix continuing in next post.
Old 10-30-16, 08:15 PM
locolobo13 

CAP Trail around Deem Hills Loop Part 2

Kept going. About a mile up there was another wash crossing.

[IMG]Unknown wash crossing by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

It amazes me to think how much engineering went into the project so they could allow the washes to cross the canal. I decided to look closer at the culverts. Glad I did.

[IMG]Interesting Art by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

A couple hundred yards further at the top of a shallow rise I met a trail runner. He was familiar with the area and
assured me these were indeed the Deem Hills.

[IMG]The Deem Hills by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not too much further on the road rises. Shallowly at first, then steeply. I ended up walking to here.

[IMG]The saddle from the last pic by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quite view from here. While I was enjoying the view, taking pix a bike came up the hill from the west side. I made sure of where I was. He gave me some advice on the current trail conditions locally. Then we each got to go DOWN the hill! Took a few pix at the bottom.

[IMG]Pyramid Peak by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Pyramid Peak by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From here followed Stetson Valley Pkwy southish. At Happy Valley Rd I turned west and went to 55th Ave. Turned south on 55th to Pinnacle Peak Rd. Turn right onto Pinnacle Peak or 59th Ave according to your map. You will go thru a small pass between 2 hills.

[IMG]Thunderbird Conservation Park by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pretty cool going down the other side! Continued on to Deer Valley Rd. It is Deer Valley west of 59th but Melinda ln to the east by these hills. Melinda ln takes you thru a neighborhood called Arrowhead Lakes.

[IMG]Arrowhead Lakes by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looking at this neighborhood from google maps I wonder about it. There must be a boat ramp somewhere. But where are you going on a boat here anyway. I could see using it for kayaking, windsurfing, paddleboarding, etc. But it takes all kinds.

Stats
45.8 mi
3 hrs 36 min riding time
Left home around 5:20 AM
Arrived home around 11:00 AM

My legs were stiff and my rear sore. So I stretched a few minutes.
Old 11-06-16, 05:38 PM
locolobo13 

Western Canal in Tempe

Rode part of the western Canal Trail in Tempe this morning. Cooler morning, 58F, with a light SE or ESE breeze. Actually wore a long sleeve shirt over my usual T-shirt. If you are more interested in pix the album is here.

Started out east on Campbell to 7th Ave. There I got on the Grand Canal and continued east. I was going to stop at McDs for breakfast but their doors were locked. At 5:45 AM! So instead I stopped at QTrip and got coffee and a protein bar. There was another old timer there. About my age sitting at one of the outside tables. We had a nice chat. He was riding a nice looking Cruiser. Talked about photography too. Turns out he was into photography in H.S. But doesn't have a modern digital camera. Unless you count his phone.

After breakfast I started endomondo before continuing east on the Grand Canal. The map is here.

https://www.endomondo.com/users/1891...outs/831939780

I turned east onto Van Buren, "just because". Stopped in at 40th St & Washington to buy an iced tea. Took the long sleeved shirt off there too. Then east on Washington. You could see the sun on taller buildings by the time I got to Priest Dr in Tempe. I turned south there. Stopped at Broadway to get a shot of Tempe Butte. Not sure if that is it's name.

[IMG]Tempe Butte by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

At Southern I saw the sun hitting the Petersen House. I stopped for some pix.

[IMG]Petersen House by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Lost and Found by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Continuing south on Priest I come to the Western Canal just south of US 60. My original plan was to turn E or SE here and continue. But looking west I wanted to see the canal come out from under I10. Especially as this tunnel might indicate a way thru.

[IMG]Western Canal by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

But no, it was just a utility access. I suspect the gate should have been closed. It would have been cool if the trail had a way for bikes and walkers to cross the 10.

Continuing east on the western canal I soon come to Baseline Rd. Turned east to Kiwanis Park. Stopped at the park to use the Men's room. Rode around the lake taking a few shots. A couple of them are in the album.

Just south of the park is Guadalupe Rd. South of Guadalupe the path goes thru the Ken McDonald Golf Course. It's a nice course. I actually golfed here a few years ago.

About a half mile south of Guadalupe the canal and path make a 90 turn to the east. There is a power plant just south of the canal here.

[IMG]Power Plant by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Riding east between the golf course and the power plant I see an elevated platform. Not sure why it's there but stop to take some more shots.

[IMG]Western Canal Trail by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'll continue the ride in the next post.
Old 11-06-16, 05:43 PM
locolobo13 

Western Canal in Tempe Part 2

The path crosses to the south side of the canal. Then crosses Rural Rd. Another half mile on it recrosses to the north side of the canal at Lakeshore Dr. My original plan was to turn for home here. But I forgot.

[IMG]Lakeshore Dr Crossing by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Instead I get to Price and the 101 before realizing I came too far. Looking at my bicycle trail map it looks like I can take Country Club Way and get back home that way. Turning back I take a shot of this sign.

[IMG]Typical You Are Here by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Don't confuse this with Country Club Dr like I did. Country Club Way is a residential road. It is well suited to bicycling. I follwed it north crossing US 60 on a pedestrian bridge.

[IMG]Crossing US60 by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

One word of warning. When I got to Carson Dr one block south of US 60 it appeared the bike route ended. At a park and school. The route/path continues thru the park. Just ride under a couple of trees and you can see the ramp leading to the bridge.

I continued north to Alameda Dr and turned west. At Dorsey Ln make a jog to the north, then back west on Alameda Dr. At College Ave I turned north. Then turned west onto Apache Blvd. Apache Blvd makes a turn by Grady Gammage Auditorium at ASU. You can see some interesting architecture to your right along here.

Apache becomes Mill Ave. At Washington I turn west and proceed to the Grand Canal. I turn onto the Grand Canal and head for home. The canal was low this morning. Lots of birds, terns, ducks, cranes(?), etc. More debris than usual too.

[IMG]Shopping Cart for a perch by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Shopping Cart Wreck by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Oops doesn't cover it by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Numbers
43.6 mi
3 hrs 15 min riding time
5+ hrs total time

Not sore today. Maybe it's a function of all the time goofing off on the ride?
Old 11-06-16, 07:03 PM
johnu 

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride report!
Thanks
Old 11-12-16, 06:36 PM
locolobo13 

Southeasterly Loop

After last weekend I wanted to see where the Western Canal came out from under I17 on the west side. This morning I did a southeasterly loop. Stopping to see the canal. Then looping down around Baseline and home via Tempe Town Lake and the Grand Canal.

If you're more interested in pix the album is here.

Started around 5:20 AM going south on 23rd Ave. At Osborn turned west to 24th Ave, then south to Thomas Rd. McDs is just across the road. Ate a small breakfast at McDs.

From McDs I went back to 23rd Ave turned south and worked my way to 19th Ave & Encanto Blvd. BTW this is easy to do, just follow the bike route signs. At Encanto I turned east to 15th then south. At Roosevelt I got on Grand Ave heading SE.

At Van Buren & 7th Ave you enter what I think of as downtown proper. From here I worked my way to 1st Ave & Jackson. There are several ways to go through downtown. At this time of the morning traffic is light and it doesn't really matter how you do it. I rode past the Madison Ave Jail this morning.

At 1st Ave I proceed south. 1st Ave merges with Central Ave. I continue on Central all the way to Southern. After crossing the Salt River it is slightly uphill. My left hamstring was tight and aching on the uphill section. Yesterday my brother and I did some hiking in the Catalinas near Tucson. Strained the hamstring, or something. I shifted down and hoped that it would loosen up when I turned east on Southern. It didn't. But it just didn't seem bad enough to stop for.

At 40th St I turned south and headed for the Western Canal. Found it just north of Vineyard and turned east on the canal path. Mostly it is a hard graded road in good condition. Watch for patches of broken glass. About 3/4 mi east of 40th St I come to a pedestrian bridge.

[IMG]Crossing the Western Canal by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Another 1/4 mi at 48th St I stop for another shot.

[IMG]Shopping Carts by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Maybe I should have stopped way back on Central. My hamstring while still tight isn't hurting. Gotta keep that in mind. Nobody is forcing me to keep grinding away. Probably another half mile east of 48th St I come to the end of the trail. Took a few shots.

[IMG]Western Canal by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Fish or Cut Bait? by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Took a few minutes here. Long swig of gatorade, took off my long sleeve shirt and tried for some good shots. I left here the way I came in. At 48th St thinking there was a McDs at Baseline I turned south. It wasn't there. Found out it was at Southern. Oh well. Turned east and headed to Priest. There is a McDs there. Stopped for more coffee.

From McDs I headed north on Priest to Alameda. Then east to Hardy and north again. All the way to Tempe Town Lake. Took a few shots there.

[IMG]Dam at Tempe Town Lake by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Reflections by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Bridge over the lake by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From the lake my way home was the same as last week. Like last week the wind was out of the east. So a nice tailwind. Stopped to get a shot of this shopping cart.

[IMG]Purple Cart by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Other than that it was a nice uneventful ride home. Stretched when I got home. Hamstring while still tight feels OK.

Stats
35.5 mi
2 hrs 39 min riding time
about 4 hrs total time
Old 11-16-16, 07:34 AM
locolobo13 

Westside Loop

Yesterday afternoon I rode a short loop westerly. Partly wanted to get some riding in, I didn't work so no commute yesterday. Mainly I've seen some street murals I wanted to shoot.

The album is here.

Started south on 23rd Ave to Indian School Rd. Then west. The first section of Indian School has a bike lane. It ends at I17 tho. From I17 to 27th Ave I rode on the sidewalk. A little west of 27th there is a residential street parallel to but separated from the main drag by a curb. I rode that to 30th Ave. This is my first stop.

[IMG]Street Mural by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From here it is west a block to 31st Ave. Then south across Indian School. Keep following the street to Grand Ave. Grand Ave was too busy to cross without a light so I rode down the shoulder/sidewalk to Osborn. Then west. I followed Osborn all the way to 59th Ave. It is mostly bike route with some bike lanes. Watch for cars parked in the bike lanes. Sometimes right in front of the No Parking signs.

When I got close to 59th Ave I realized I had made a tactical mistake. 59th Ave & Osborn is Maryvale H.S. It was around 2:45 or so and the school was letting out. Hordes of kids. Back in the 70s I used to cruise by Maryvale as a teenager. Different era.

At 59th I crossed and stated south. Again there was a residential street parallel to the main street. Managed to get ahead of the kids walking south on 59th. Almost to Thomas Rd I stopped to shoot these.

There are more photos in the album.

From here I followed the residential road around the corner to 63rd Ave & Thomas. Then south to Virginia. Stopped at the park there for a little bit. Then west on Encanto to 87th Ave. The section between 75th & 83rd Aves was a little bit nerve wracking. It was a busier 2 lane each way street with no bike lane and no shoulder. But I was there, so I took the right lane. Nobody buzzed me along the stretch. West of 83rd Ave the Encanto has a bike lane and traffic was lighter.

At 87th I turned north around Desert Star Park. At Osborn I turned east. Then north again at 79th Dr. 79th Dr meanders a little bit. But I followed it until it turned into Sells Dr. Which is Campbell west of the Grand Canal. East on Sells Dr to the Grand Canal. Stopped there for one more shot.

[IMG]Heading Home by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

At this time of day following the Grand Canal home isn't as practical. It is shorter but there is too much traffic at the major streets to cross without traffic lights. So I went east to 63rd Ave & Campbell. Another school letting out at 63rd Ave. North to Maryland. Then east to 23rd Ave and south to go home.

24.8 mi
1 hr 54 min riding time
about 3 hours total time

left hamstring still sore
Old 11-18-16, 04:34 PM
locolobo13 

Cave Creek Wash Trail

Did a loop today. Rode up the Cave Creek Wash Trail from the start at the Arizona Canal to Union Hills Rd. There is a segment missing just north of Tierra Buena ln. For those more interested in pix the album is here.

The map is here.

https://www.endomondo.com/users/1891...outs/836841042

It was 41F when I woke up this morning. For me that's cold. So I wore 3 layers to start this morning.

Started north on 23rd Ave and rode to McDs on Northern near 19th Ave. After breakfast I got back on 23rd Ave and rode to the Arizona Canal at 25th Ave. I turned on Endomondo here. About 1/4 mi east of 25th Ave Cave Creek runs into the Arizona Canal. The trail starts here. I turned onto the trail, crossed to the west side of the creek and rode north.

The first couple of miles is like a huge park. In fact you are riding by various parks. You can ride on either side of the creek but the underpasses at the major streets are on the west side. About 1/2 mi north of Cactus I crossed the creek again.

[IMG]Pedestrian Bridge over Cave Creek by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then continued north along the east side. Part way up the trail I saw a home made BMX area. There were jumps and pits. I think the local kids probably put it together. I can remember doing that in an ancient quarry pit growing up. After crossing Thunderbird Rd you ride alongside a golf course. At the NE corner of the golf course the trail crosses 19th Ave following the creek again. Pretty soon you come to a fork in the trail.

If you continue straight you will be on the Greenway Parkway Trail. I'm turning left to follow the Cave Creek Wash Trail.

[IMG]Going under Greenway Pkwy by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From the tire tracks you might think the trail is on the left. It is actually on the right. Although you can take any of the 3 tunnels to get to the other side of the road.

Very shortly the trail comes to Tierra Buena Ln. The trail continues on the west side from here but doesn't go all the way thru. So I rode east to Greenway Pkwy, north to 11th Ave, north again to Cave Creek where the trail resumes. Almost immediately you come to 10th Ave.

[IMG]10th Ave Bridge by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From here north, even though you are in the middle of town, the trail follows the creek and looks like it's in the desert. Most of the bridges have homeless people camped out this early. So be careful. One of them was actually laying across the trail and I had to slow way down to get past him. Nothing to be afraid of just be aware.

After 10th Ave you go under Phelps Rd then Bell Rd. A little north of Bell Rd I found this memorial.

[IMG]Trailside Memorial by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm assuming Josh was a cyclist from the brake lever. But don't know. Next is 7th Ave. After that the creek turns more northerly. Between Grovers and Union Hills there are three dam like concrete structures. In the middle is a notch maybe 6 ft deep. Stopped at the first one for some shots.

[IMG]Dike or Damn? by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Shortly after I come to Union Hills Rd. And the end of the Cave Creek Wash Trail.

[IMG]End of the Trail by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

There is a fork taking you to Union Hills Rd. You are just east of 7th Ave. I rode west on Union Hills Rd to 19th Ave. There I stopped for a snack. And some more coffee.

[IMG]Nutritional Supplement by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

After goofing off I continued west on Union Hills Rd. All the way to 39th Ave. Let me say the bicycle lane on Union Hills is very nice. For the most part it is wide enough a faster biker could pass me without leaving the lane. The lane disappears when Union Hills goes under I17.

At 39th Ave I turned south. 39th Ave is mostly a bike route. With a few sections painted as a bike lane. It seemed like a good bike route though. With light traffic and few breaks. Those breaks were at Acoma Dr and Sweetwater Ave. At Acoma Dr the bike route was marked and easy to follow. At Sweetwater I didn't see any signs and wondered off the bike route a little. Following 39th south I soon came to the Arizona Canal.

Now I ran into a problem. I'm on the north side of the flood control channel. Sometimes there is a rideable trail on the north side. Indeed there was one going west. I wanted to go east. There was no trail. I ended up riding east on the nearest street to a dead end. Back tracking north, east, south, east to the next dead end. Eventually I ended up at 35th Ave a block north of the Arizona Canal. Might have been faster to go west, cross the flood control channel at Peoria and get on the right trail. Que sera.

Continuing from here I soon come back to 25th Ave where I turn off Endomondo. It is an easy 5 mi home with no problems.

30.3 mi
2 hrs 17 min riding time
A little more than 4 hrs total

Temps stayed cool, probably 50 something when I got home around 9:30

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.