Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

I walked out of Blade Runner 2049 after 20 Minutes

Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

I walked out of Blade Runner 2049 after 20 Minutes

Old 12-28-17, 06:25 PM
  #51  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Jolly 'ol Winnipeg
Posts: 633

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by syncro87 View Post
Interesting. I'm a big fan of the original BR, and went to the new one figuring it would be a disappointment, but hoping it would be at least decent. To my surprise, it was outstanding. Frankly, I was blown away by how good it was. In my opinion, a 100% worthy successor to the original. Maybe the best movie I've seen this year. I'd rate it above Dunkirk, and I thought that movie was very good.

I consider myself to be fairly cynical, maybe a bit too much of a glass half empty person if I had to admit it. I should be one of the people dissatisfied with 2049, really, given how much I like the original. But I have to say, the new BR was great, in my opinion.

My only beef with it, if I had to look for one, would be Robin Wright's character. Not sure she was the right person for that role. But a minor carp, and easily overlooked given how good the rest of the film was, and the rest of the casting decisions. Heck, I don't even particularly like Ryan Gosling in general, and I thought he was very good.
Hi, thanks for that input. Glad you enjoyed the film. You know, I'll probably watch it eventually when someone donates a disc and says "here, watch this". I can get up and hit the toilet, pause the film, skip scenes etc at home vs. the moviehouse. From what I understand, BR2049 shared a denigrating view of humanity along with other recent Sci-Fi blockbusters. I don't prefer to expose myself to that kind of propaganda without a choice of respite. I have to brace myself for it.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-29-17, 07:30 AM
  #52  
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,392

Bikes: Trek 2500, Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale Super V400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
I'd say Hollywood tries to maximize their bottom line from all markets. The USA is the number one consumer society in the world and it's reasonable for studios to take a path of least resistance to profit taking. Some films do not translate or relate well to global audiences. In terms of overall cultural exports (movies, music, celebrity, sports etc), America is undeniably the most influential at spreading it's toxic contamination globally. Untouchable really.
StarBiker is offline  
Old 12-29-17, 09:54 AM
  #53  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,695

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Hi, thanks for that input. Glad you enjoyed the film. You know, I'll probably watch it eventually when someone donates a disc and says "here, watch this". I can get up and hit the toilet, pause the film, skip scenes etc at home vs. the moviehouse. From what I understand, BR2049 shared a denigrating view of humanity along with other recent Sci-Fi blockbusters. I don't prefer to expose myself to that kind of propaganda without a choice of respite. I have to brace myself for it.
Not all the drama is on the screen when you watch a movie, eh?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 12-29-17, 03:23 PM
  #54  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,616
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Hi, thanks for that input. Glad you enjoyed the film. You know, I'll probably watch it eventually when someone donates a disc and says "here, watch this". I can get up and hit the toilet, pause the film, skip scenes etc at home vs. the moviehouse. From what I understand, BR2049 shared a denigrating view of humanity along with other recent Sci-Fi blockbusters. I don't prefer to expose myself to that kind of propaganda without a choice of respite. I have to brace myself for it.
It has the same denigrating view of humanity the original did. Do you hate that one, too?
Kontact is offline  
Old 12-29-17, 08:13 PM
  #55  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Jolly 'ol Winnipeg
Posts: 633

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think Angie Han should get a stern talking to and tell her to lighten up a little (and ride a bike)

In 2017, blockbuster movies stopped taking humanity for granted
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-29-17, 08:28 PM
  #56  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Jolly 'ol Winnipeg
Posts: 633

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
It has the same denigrating view of humanity the original did. Do you hate that one, too?
The original Star Wars, Star Trek & James Bond films had an element of campy fun to them which has since evaporated. They were fun to watch.

The original Blade Runner (OBR), was for me, a metaphor that human life is precious and limited. it was creepy! Who wants that type of world. Best to be avoided. Thankfully humans don't have programmed incept dates. OBR was a reminder that we have only one Earth and we best look after it. Maybe aspies like Jeff Bezos models himself after a Eldon Tyrell and wants a bunch of Nexxus 6 working in his warehouses sorting books. If everyones job is replaced by an NX6 who'd have any money to buy what he's selling <insert mobius loop error here>
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-29-17, 08:37 PM
  #57  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,616
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
The original Star Wars, Star Trek & James Bond films had an element of campy fun to them which has since evaporated. They were fun to watch.

The original Blade Runner (OBR), was for me, a metaphor that human life is precious and limited. it was creepy! Who wants that type of world. Best to be avoided. Thankfully humans don't have programmed incept dates. OBR was a reminder that we have only one Earth and we best look after it. Maybe aspies like Jeff Bezos models himself after a Eldon Tyrell and wants a bunch of Nexxus 6 working in his warehouses sorting books. If everyones job is replaced by an NX6 who'd have any money to buy what he's selling <insert mobius loop error here>
It's a metaphor made with all artificial people.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-19-18, 04:06 PM
  #58  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Jolly 'ol Winnipeg
Posts: 633

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
It's a metaphor made with all artificial people.
I see the replicants as merely a symbolic device as part of the story used to make a statement about certain aspects of humanity itself.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 01-19-18, 04:24 PM
  #59  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,616
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
I see the replicants as merely a symbolic device as part of the story used to make a statement about certain aspects of humanity itself.
I don't think any thoughtful piece of (especially) science fiction ever boils down to one simple platitude. Blade Runner has always been about issues that are speculative in nature, but on the horizon as we explore gene modification and artificial intelligence. It is a what if? about problems that we don't yet have and an invitation to step out of human skin in our thinking.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-19-18, 07:14 PM
  #60  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Jolly 'ol Winnipeg
Posts: 633

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
I don't think any thoughtful piece of (especially) science fiction ever boils down to one simple platitude. Blade Runner has always been about issues that are speculative in nature, but on the horizon as we explore gene modification and artificial intelligence. It is a what if? about problems that we don't yet have and an invitation to step out of human skin in our thinking.
There's no triteness in what I said. We're talking about a film that can be interpreted any way the viewer sees fit even if divergent from the original intent(s) of the writer. Dicks' dead now so we can't drag him into a bike forum to clarify on aspects. For you, BR has been about the uncertain what-ifs and stepping outside of what someone would consider human behavior. If the film was a religious experience for you that way then you got your money's worth. Whether some would say that one of BR's motifs comments on the cheapening of human life by functional supply and demand via duplication or it's likening to a commercialized form of mass produced Frankensteins is up to them. It's a film that still has strangers talking about it 35 years after it was released, to it's credit.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 01-19-18, 09:12 PM
  #61  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,695

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
I saw the BluRay version today. Trerrible 2 hours and 49 minutes of pretentious doo-doo without ANY redeeming qualities. At least I didn't spend any money on it as it was a loaner from the library.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 01-19-18, 09:42 PM
  #62  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,616
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
There's no triteness in what I said. We're talking about a film that can be interpreted any way the viewer sees fit even if divergent from the original intent(s) of the writer. Dicks' dead now so we can't drag him into a bike forum to clarify on aspects. For you, BR has been about the uncertain what-ifs and stepping outside of what someone would consider human behavior. If the film was a religious experience for you that way then you got your money's worth. Whether some would say that one of BR's motifs comments on the cheapening of human life by functional supply and demand via duplication or it's likening to a commercialized form of mass produced Frankensteins is up to them. It's a film that still has strangers talking about it 35 years after it was released, to it's credit.
I didn't call your post trite.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 09:23 AM
  #63  
trsidn 
Jeff Vader
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Posts: 381

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif View Post
I saw the original back in the day at the behest of my girlfriend's brother, who said it was the best movie he'd ever seen. Neither my girlfriend or I liked it or even understood the point. I just remember it was very dark, literally and figuratively, and I didn't feel good when it was over. No plans to see the new one.
It was meant to be very dark. It wasn't a feel-good movie.
__________________
We are all a litter of piglets in the barn fire of life - Piney McKnuckle
trsidn is offline  
Old 01-23-18, 04:58 PM
  #64  
rickpaulos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
I'd say Hollywood tries to maximize their bottom line from all markets. The USA is the number one consumer society in the world and it's reasonable for studios to take a path of least resistance to profit taking. Some films do not translate or relate well to global audiences. In terms of overall cultural exports (movies, music, celebrity, sports etc), America is undeniably the most influential at spreading it's toxic contamination globally. Untouchable really.
yep, and some movies do far better overseas than in the USA. I've talked to a local second-run theater owner. He says he is open to suggestions but shot down all of mine. I've suggested "events" like the Lord of the Rings trilogy shown back to back (with bathroom / popcorn breaks) on a weekend. 1 ticket to see them all. There are plenty of movies with sequels or remakes that could be shown like that. He states that DVD sales are death to ticket sales, that once a movie is released on DVD, no theater will run it. The handful of revival showings are probably done for free or nearly free royalties.

BTW, the Roman Catholic Church lead the way on spreading it's contamination globally for 1,000 years. The USA has only been exporting influence for less than 100 years.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 01-23-18 at 05:04 PM.
rickpaulos is offline  
Old 01-23-18, 05:16 PM
  #65  
jimincalif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 2,034

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
It was meant to be very dark. It wasn't a feel-good movie.
Yes, apparently so. But this is just not my thing. I will say one thing positive for it however,. It clarified for me that such movies are not my thing. That's probably saved me a bunch of time and money over 35 years.
jimincalif is offline  
Old 01-24-18, 01:43 AM
  #66  
jhoneil
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 18

Bikes: Biria Mini-20, Brompton S6L, Cannondale Quick, Cannondale Jekyll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would not describe Blade Runner 2049 as "recycled plots and CGI veneering over trite storytelling." You would know that if you stayed for more than 20 minutes.
jhoneil is offline  
Old 10-20-18, 01:51 AM
  #67  
Peralta99
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stayed away from seeing this one in theaters. The Final Cut was damn near perfect, and it was a film that didn't need a sequel.

But I eventually rented and really liked it. Ryan Gosling was very good in the film, I liked the back and forth between him and Joi, and I liked the mystery of K.


S P O I L E R S

I think this could have been just as good, if not better, had Harrison Ford NOT been in it.
Buy they needed that connection to the original to promote it, and then they had to have CGI Sean Young to show off their technical skills.

It was still a beautiful film, the cast minus maybe one or two were amazing. But the studio or producers tried too hard to make it more Hollywood than it should be, including the forced subplot in order to make it a franchise.
Peralta99 is offline  
Old 10-21-18, 06:14 PM
  #68  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Jolly 'ol Winnipeg
Posts: 633

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As the progenitor of this thread, incept date 12-28-17, I'm following up to state I stand by my decision to have walked out at the theatre. I subsequently watched it not that long ago on a loaned BD disc.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 12-03-18, 11:25 AM
  #69  
Kedosto
Ambulophobic
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 55 Posts
Wow. All this deep introspection re: Blade Runner and BR 2049. For me it was all about Sean Young. Gorgeous!


-Kedosto
Kedosto is offline  
Old 12-03-18, 12:08 PM
  #70  
trsidn 
Jeff Vader
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Posts: 381

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
fun fact: I share a birth date with Sean Young...
__________________
We are all a litter of piglets in the barn fire of life - Piney McKnuckle
trsidn is offline  
Old 12-16-18, 09:48 AM
  #71  
dynodonn
Banned.
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 7,465
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
This thread reminds me of watching Fargo.....20 or more minutes is all that the wife and I could stand, but my sister and her husband still rave about the movie whenever it is mentioned.
dynodonn is offline  
Old 12-17-18, 01:46 PM
  #72  
trsidn 
Jeff Vader
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Posts: 381

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I loved Fargo. I really enjoyed when Fx made a series out of it, too....
__________________
We are all a litter of piglets in the barn fire of life - Piney McKnuckle
trsidn is offline  
Old 12-17-18, 01:54 PM
  #73  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,695

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
I loved Fargo. I really enjoyed when Fx made a series out of it, too....
My wife and I also liked the movie Fargo and enjoyed the first two seasons of the TV series, the third season's storyline was too wacky for us to care about watching after the first two episodes.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 12-17-18, 01:59 PM
  #74  
trsidn 
Jeff Vader
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Posts: 381

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
My wife and I also liked the movie Fargo and enjoyed the first two seasons of the TV series, the third season's storyline was too wacky for us to care about watching after the first two episodes.
I had heard that, so I never saw season 3
__________________
We are all a litter of piglets in the barn fire of life - Piney McKnuckle
trsidn is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 05:02 PM
  #75  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Jolly 'ol Winnipeg
Posts: 633

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is a review of 2049 given by an unusual source:

"Reverend" Raul Antony is joined by Peter H. Gilmore, Peggy Nadramia, and Ruth Waytz to discuss the world of Blade Runner, artificial human companions, the ethics of self-aware AI, Anton LaVey on "Future Noir", critical response to Blade Runner 2049, and more.


prairiepedaler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.