Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Why do people want 1x???

Old 01-04-18, 10:24 AM
  #26  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,091
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7984 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 126 Posts
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 10:53 AM
  #27  
Troy Winter
flyover
 
Troy Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Emporia, Kansas
Posts: 41

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Lemans RS, 2013 Trek DS 8.3, All-city Machoman, 2018 Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Sram Rival front derailleur switches the chain from the big sprocket to the little sprocket and back when I "tell" it to. What else is it supposed to do? Why do people say they don't work? What am I missing?
Troy Winter is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 11:21 AM
  #28  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,845

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Winter View Post
My Sram Rival front derailleur switches the chain from the big sprocket to the little sprocket and back when I "tell" it to. What else is it supposed to do? Why do people say they don't work? What am I missing?
that these guys wrench on their own bikes when they shouldn't be.
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 11:36 AM
  #29  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,306

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 146 Times in 104 Posts
Friction front shifting via Gevenalle. Its fast, its accurate, its infinitely trimmable. 0 dropped chains. 0 fuss. 0 chain grinding. 0 maintenance.
I never knew front derailleurs on road bikes(which gravel bikes are) was such an issue that a nuclear option like 1x was needed to correct the issue.

On MTBs- 1x makes sense. I spend most my time in 1 ring on my MTB.
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 01-04-18, 11:39 AM
  #30  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,306

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 146 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot View Post
The new Shimano 8000 style front derailleurs are also amazing.
Any chance you know if the 8000 works back compatible with 6800 STI shifters and 6800 cranksets? I read 8000 has different stops in the movement due to 8000 cranks having wider ring spacing. All this is because of disc brakes, apparently.
I would figure that new ring spacing means derailleurs with different stop positions, but havent seen this confirmed.
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 01-04-18, 11:49 AM
  #31  
Facanh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post

On MTBs- 1x makes sense. I spend most my time in 1 ring on my MTB.
I did that on my 39-52 crankset too. I basically never used the big ring.

In my opinion shifting at the front is a bit more cumbersome than shifting at the back but it's not a big problem at all. 1x is simply nicer to use to me. That's about it. I know it sounds dumb but I simply have more fun on my bike with a 1x.

I think 1x is good as an option but some companies are forcing it which is not cool, or talking about it like it's a revolutionary thing.

Last edited by Facanh; 01-04-18 at 11:56 AM.
Facanh is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 12:15 PM
  #32  
cobra_kai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Any chance you know if the 8000 works back compatible with 6800 STI shifters and 6800 cranksets? I read 8000 has different stops in the movement due to 8000 cranks having wider ring spacing. All this is because of disc brakes, apparently.
I would figure that new ring spacing means derailleurs with different stop positions, but havent seen this confirmed.


I am using a 9100 front derailleur with 6800 shifters and praxis rings on a rotor 3d+ crankset on my road bike, works great. The only place you have to worry about compatibility is using the 9100 or 8000 crankset with older derailleurs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
9100%20FD%20compatibility.JPG (110.6 KB, 405 views)
cobra_kai is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 05:33 PM
  #33  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,928

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6836 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 215 Times in 179 Posts
There are fashion trend/ marketing - changes in bikes , 1 by is trendy now..



My 1 by has a Rohloff hub in the back..










Last edited by fietsbob; 01-06-18 at 02:50 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 06:31 PM
  #34  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 12,060

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 287 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
my 1x MTB friends always seem to be changing their chain ring to get the right gearing. Geeze, if I want to do that I'll ride my track bike.
I did a hilly gravel ride last year with a group that included @79pmooney who rode it on his eponymous fixed gear bike. He had a nifty setup that gave him a surprising number of options for quick gear changes but also brought a chainwhip and extra cogs and stopped to change as needed based on the terrain. I passed him a lot and vice versa. He finished the ride well before I did, and I'm pretty sure I walked up more hills than he did, despite my having a 26x30 low gear.

Gearing is all about personal preferences.
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 06:33 PM
  #35  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 12,060

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 287 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TruthBomb View Post
My SRAM road front derailleur has been as good if not better.

__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 06:42 PM
  #36  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 12,060

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 287 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh View Post
I simply love using 1x. Shifting at the front is not a big task but it's so nice when you get rid of it. With SRAM I do all my shifting with one lever too. That's it for me really.
I can see the appeal of this argument, but honestly I have a mental block about it. I feel like my bike is somehow awkwardly asymmetric if I don't have a shifter on both levers. I know this is entirely ridiculous, but it's the way I feel. Even in situations where I know I'm not going to need two chainrings, such as most cyclocross races, I like having multiple chainrings.

I've tried a 1x10 setup a couple of times. I used it for CX racing for a season and had a couple of problems with chain drops (the technology has gotten a lot better since then). I also tried it on a commuter bike and didn't like it. I had a range that worked for my commute, but it required a few cogs that I hardly ever used at the low end, and a bit of spinning at the high end. The high end bothered me most, because even though my top speed didn't matter at all (even to me) I just didn't like the feeling of approaching the limit where I couldn't go much faster even if I wanted to.
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 07:03 PM
  #37  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 12,060

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 287 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
1x is not about gear range, it's about shifting. Front shifting doesn't work as well as rear shifting. Not anyone's brand, not any group. That's why the front shift is the big one and you keep away from it until you have to. Rear shifting just works. 2x is about shifting ratios. Doubles will survive as long as roadies want a corncob in the rear. I pretty much expect triples to disappear, though. The only reason they're surviving on cheaper MTB's is that the Walmart-to-$500 range is a very standard bike with very standard parts and the triple is one of them.
This really makes me sad. I love triples.

I feel like most people just don't understand the triple mindset. Or maybe it just doesn't appeal to them. I use a triple very much the way everyone else uses a 1xN setup, except I've got a couple of aces in the hole. I do almost all of my riding on the middle ring and then use the small ring as a bailout gear and the big ring when I really want to hammer. I choose my cassette for the gear range I want with the middle ring.

The "equivalent" range argument just doesn't hold water when you look at it like this. Suppose I've got a 50/39/26 crankset with an 11-34 cassette. Using just the 39T ring I've got a range from 32 to 100 gear inches, but when I hit that 32 inch gear and I need a little more help, I can drop to the small ring and go as low as 21 inches. And when I top out on the 39x11 gear and want a little more, I can pop up to the big ring and go as high as 128 inches. I've got the simplicity of a one ring setup, but I've got a LOT more range. What kind of cassette is going to give you this range with a 1x? Even 10x50 doesn't get you there, and if it did (say I'm only comparing to a 50/39/30) I'd have fully one third of my cogs used for parts of the range that I rarely use.

Long live the triple!!!
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 07:08 PM
  #38  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 12,060

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 287 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TruthBomb View Post
Wow. You found a picture on the internet.

That must mean that I've just been imaging the stellar shifting that I have experienced.

Thanks for clearing that up!
You do know what that picture is, right? That's someone losing the Tour de France because of a dropped chain with his SRAM system (at least until the guy who beat him got DQ'd).

In any event...

__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 07:08 PM
  #39  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 12,060

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 287 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Friction front shifting via Gevenalle. Its fast, its accurate, its infinitely trimmable. 0 dropped chains. 0 fuss. 0 chain grinding. 0 maintenance.

This. +30
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 08:37 PM
  #40  
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,522
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post

Long live the triple!!!
I agree...I have bikes with triples, doubles, and singles. They all have their place. Depends on what you want to do with the bike and where you want to ride it. I would be a sad day if we had fewer choices on how to gear a bicycle.
I really don't why triples are perceived as being clunky and unnecessarily complicated. If you can wrap your head around how to operate a double, a triple isn't any more complicated. Mine have always worked flawlessly. They provide potential for more range and fewer gaps...whats not to like?
mihlbach is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 09:17 PM
  #41  
Banzai
Jet Jockey
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 4,852

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh View Post
Sadly that is not always true. I just bought a Rival 1 mechanical groupset 2 months ago from bike24.

SRAM Rival 22 with brakes: 470 EUR

SRAM Rival 1 with no brakes: 470 EUR

105 5800 with brakes AND a bottom bracket: 460 EUR

And there is of course the price of the cassettes which with the XD driver start from 100 EUR...




Don't sweat it, you will find the "because SRAM can't make a front derailleur" joke in pretty much every 1x vs 2x discussion.
That's cuz it's funny and true.
Banzai is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 11:47 PM
  #42  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 12,060

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 287 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TruthBomb View Post
If you have to explain a "joke" then...
That's OK. It was funny to me. I'm sorry if I offended you. I really didn't mean to.
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 01-05-18, 01:25 AM
  #43  
motrheadsroadie
Senior Member
 
motrheadsroadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Posts: 867

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
clutch rear derailleurs might be innovative tech, but if you go back to the toeclip era and youll find that 1x drivetrains for cx is nothing new.

motrheadsroadie is offline  
Old 01-05-18, 03:14 AM
  #44  
Facanh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
I can see the appeal of this argument, but honestly I have a mental block about it. I feel like my bike is somehow awkwardly asymmetric if I don't have a shifter on both levers. I know this is entirely ridiculous, but it's the way I feel. Even in situations where I know I'm not going to need two chainrings, such as most cyclocross races, I like having multiple chainrings.

I've tried a 1x10 setup a couple of times. I used it for CX racing for a season and had a couple of problems with chain drops (the technology has gotten a lot better since then). I also tried it on a commuter bike and didn't like it. I had a range that worked for my commute, but it required a few cogs that I hardly ever used at the low end, and a bit of spinning at the high end. The high end bothered me most, because even though my top speed didn't matter at all (even to me) I just didn't like the feeling of approaching the limit where I couldn't go much faster even if I wanted to.
Totally understandable. I'm the opposite, 1x feels more natural to me. You have one shifter, you can get an easier gear or a harder gear, and that's it. But we are all different.
Facanh is offline  
Old 01-05-18, 05:40 AM
  #45  
Sullalto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,206

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
This really makes me sad. I love triples.

I feel like most people just don't understand the triple mindset. Or maybe it just doesn't appeal to them. I use a triple very much the way everyone else uses a 1xN setup, except I've got a couple of aces in the hole. I do almost all of my riding on the middle ring and then use the small ring as a bailout gear and the big ring when I really want to hammer. I choose my cassette for the gear range I want with the middle ring.

Long live the triple!!!
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
I really don't why triples are perceived as being clunky and unnecessarily complicated. If you can wrap your head around how to operate a double, a triple isn't any more complicated. Mine have always worked flawlessly. They provide potential for more range and fewer gaps...whats not to like?
4 different LBSs and a Co-Op haven't been able to get my triple working adequately.

It can only ever get adjusted for using two rings. Invariably, one ring just slides the chain off like it's allergic.

No amount of trimming, or clean&lubing the chain helps.

Maybe friction shifters would work.
Sullalto is offline  
Old 01-05-18, 08:14 AM
  #46  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,306

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 146 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto View Post
4 different LBSs and a Co-Op haven't been able to get my triple working adequately.

It can only ever get adjusted for using two rings. Invariably, one ring just slides the chain off like it's allergic.

No amount of trimming, or clean&lubing the chain helps.

Maybe friction shifters would work.
Curious what your crank model and tooth counts are, what your derailleurs are, what speed and range cassette you use, and what your shifters are.

Not like itll be fixed over the internet, but I am always interested to see the setups of those who dont have triples that work. It seems many dont have proper trim options.
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 01-05-18, 08:54 AM
  #47  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,845

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Curious what your crank model and tooth counts are, what your derailleurs are, what speed and range cassette you use, and what your shifters are.

Not like itll be fixed over the internet, but I am always interested to see the setups of those who dont have triples that work. It seems many dont have proper trim options.
Most issues with triples is people want to cross chain small small / large large, and that doesn't work.
Or they bought a used bike. True story, my neighbor says his bike isn't shifting right. Pulls out his Leatherman and bends his FD. he also told me his front tire wasn't holding air. He tells me he checked it 8 times and every time he checked it it was lower. (using a car tire pressure gauge)
he has Shimano 50LX rapidfire, I told him he needs to keep the shifter lubed with triflow or similar. Days later he tells me he opened it and filled it with graphite powder.
His career, a mechanic... LOL! Not a bike Mechanic apparently.... hahahah
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Old 01-05-18, 09:21 AM
  #48  
davei1980
Senior Member
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 584

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Langster and guest starring a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... same reason some people prefer single speed, etc.... Improved simplicity/chainlines/fewer moving parts at a cost of some gear range.
davei1980 is offline  
Old 01-05-18, 09:30 AM
  #49  
Sullalto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,206

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Curious what your crank model and tooth counts are, what your derailleurs are, what speed and range cassette you use, and what your shifters are.

Not like itll be fixed over the internet, but I am always interested to see the setups of those who dont have triples that work. It seems many dont have proper trim options.
Drop bar sora shifters, sora derailleurs. The long cage rear one. FSA vero crankset.

Bike came with 11/28. It used to always be 30/39 or 39/50 would work. Now it's 30/50. Weird, right?

It has an 11/32 now.
Sullalto is offline  
Old 01-05-18, 10:57 AM
  #50  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,306

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 146 Times in 104 Posts
Sora shifters- less click trim positions than higher level STIs.
At least thats how it was a handful of years ago. Not sure if Shimano changed the design.
mstateglfr is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.