Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disc Brakes; Yay or Nay?

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc Brakes; Yay or Nay?

Old 06-14-19, 10:39 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advanced | Fuji Transonic

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I don't need to have a catastrophic blowout to know that my 105 r7020 hyd discs are much, much better than my Ultegra r8000 direct mount rim brakes. I was in the "rim brakes are just fine" camp, until I got a bike with hyd discs.

Yes, rim brakes will still stop you, but I wonder if people arguing that hyd discs aren't better, either haven't ridden them, or are not riding speeds/curves/hills where the difference is glaringly apparent. To put it simply, they are confidence inspiring. You can brake later and harder, and still have more control through a curve or descent.

On a recent 50 mile ride that averaged 20mph with about 3k ft of elevation, the difference was really eye opening for me. I'm very interested to re-ride a century I did recently that had about 9k ft of elevation and had me white knuckling a few sections. I'm also now looking forward to a ride I'm doing next weekend, 120 miles w/ 17k ft.

I'm not going to rush to ditch my rim brake bike, but all future purchases will by hyd disc (with the exception of a TT bike, simply for aero purposes and lack of braking while TTing).

Last edited by Rides4Beer; 06-14-19 at 11:42 AM.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 06-15-19, 01:26 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by satrain18 View Post
This is normal. And tire blowouts with rim brakes are not the result of poor maintenance. It's the result of the rim overheating.
sorry, what? Couple of blow outs on flat ground and a couple of worn out rims splitting.
Old 06-16-19, 10:53 AM
DanAndrews01

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10, 2017 Focus Izalco Max

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The element that aren't mentioned enough for me are 1) safety and 2) comfort 3) ability to run carbon wheels daily in the mountains. Disc brakes simply better IMO, although I love the classic look of rim brakes.
Old 06-17-19, 01:58 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Man, getting some real mixed signals on this. One of the bike-candidates I am looking at buying in the future has disc brakes. I have no prior experience with them at all. How common / likely is it for a disc to go out of true, and how easy is it to true said disc yourself? One of the things I have disliked about rim brakes is the need for a pretty true rim - sometimes that goes out of true and rubs annoyingly, requiring some fiddling around to "fix" it until I can get the rim true again. Having no truing stand, that involves a trip to a bike shop, which is itself kind of annoying. Are some brands of disc better at staying true, like a cheap rim vs a quality one can? Can one just swap in the discs they want or are there standards I need to pay attention to?

The bike in question is just listing a "Promax Mechanical".
Old 06-17-19, 03:53 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
Man, getting some real mixed signals on this. One of the bike-candidates I am looking at buying in the future has disc brakes. I have no prior experience with them at all. How common / likely is it for a disc to go out of true, and how easy is it to true said disc yourself? One of the things I have disliked about rim brakes is the need for a pretty true rim - sometimes that goes out of true and rubs annoyingly, requiring some fiddling around to "fix" it until I can get the rim true again. Having no truing stand, that involves a trip to a bike shop, which is itself kind of annoying. Are some brands of disc better at staying true, like a cheap rim vs a quality one can? Can one just swap in the discs they want or are there standards I need to pay attention to?

The bike in question is just listing a "Promax Mechanical".
It might need a truing if you inadvertently impact the disk against a boulder or something. Promax Mechanical will probably make you hate disc brakes if you don't maintain it properly.
Old 06-17-19, 09:59 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Scwinn GTX-3 Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
OP here/.... Old thread but I'm happy to report back on my question.... Rims or Disc's.??

I went with Disc's and couldn't be happier. Such a great feel in the hands. Good feedback. Great modulation. I'm impressed. I really wanted Hyd. Disc but in the end the Specialized Diverge E5 came with Disc's and they have performed very well over a short 300 miles.

I'd recommend them to anyone.
Old 06-18-19, 07:40 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo View Post
It might need a truing if you inadvertently impact the disk against a boulder or something. Promax Mechanical will probably make you hate disc brakes if you don't maintain it properly.
Are Promax famously poor disc brakes? What goes into maintenance beyond changing out the pads?

I do have an LBS that I hire to do fiddly stuff - I seem to have bad luck keeping brakes in good shape, so I'd heard discs were less involved and started considering them.

There's a rim-brake model with fewer gears (not a big deal) but naturally not in the color I like best, ha!

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs View Post
OP here/.... Old thread but I'm happy to report back on my question.... Rims or Disc's.??

I went with Disc's and couldn't be happier. Such a great feel in the hands. Good feedback. Great modulation. I'm impressed. I really wanted Hyd. Disc but in the end the Specialized Diverge E5 came with Disc's and they have performed very well over a short 300 miles.

Well, that's encouraging a bit.
Old 06-18-19, 08:27 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs View Post

None of this is surpising.

Go look at any of the major bike manufacturer websites and you will see majority of road bikes have moved to disc brakes. Rim brakes will soon be a thing of the past.