Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Let It Bleed should be played loud!!!!

Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Old 09-24-18, 03:16 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Trek 2500, Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale Super V400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

right now!!!
Old 09-24-18, 03:48 PM
cb400bill
Administrator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 (carbon fiber), Pinarello Stelvio (steel), Cannondale Synapse (aluminum)

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Why?
Old 09-24-18, 06:49 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
Why?
It’s a catchy tune. Makes you want to snap your fingers and do the bunny hop.
Old 09-24-18, 06:55 PM
cb400bill
Administrator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 (carbon fiber), Pinarello Stelvio (steel), Cannondale Synapse (aluminum)

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Great album but I thought maybe something had happened. That's all.
Old 09-24-18, 08:26 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Trek 2500, Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale Super V400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got the silver, you got the gold........
Old 09-25-18, 12:45 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2774 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
If memory serves (I sold all my vinyl 15 years ago), Sticky Fingers actually had "Play it loud!" written on the jacket.
Old 09-27-18, 03:19 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 25 Posts
hard knox and durty sox. play it loud. esp trax 1, 6 and 8. gimm(i)e shelter, midnight rambler and monkey man. i wish the stones had saved stray cat blues for this album...
my big question is if this is their 2nd or 3rd best all-time album. can't take it over sticky fingers. the iconic songs better than the boozy drugged vibe of exile??

Last edited by ooga-booga; 09-27-18 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-28-18, 03:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2774 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Yeah, my favorite Stones album may still be Exile. Sticky Fingers and Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! live albums come very close to my #1 .

I still enjoy Beggar's Banquet, Satanic Majesty's Request, Let it Bleed, Some Girls, Tattoo You and the vastly underrated Dirty Work. What makes Dirty Work so great is it's mostly Keith's album and simmering with pent up resentment over unresolved conflicts with Jagger, which Keith acknowledged was his own fault for being drugged up for years while Jagger carried the band. So if real life drama counts for anything in creative endeavors, Dirty Work was their last great album.

After that it was mostly a business.
Old 10-01-18, 03:51 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

^definitely a business after some girls. dirty work has a few good songs. prefer steel wheels to dirty work a little bit more. last truly great original album was some girls.
is there another song that is semi-comparable to "miss you?" so many styles involved. a total shape-shifter. i love exactly half of tattoo you but it's mostly reworked/unreleased material
from the previous decade. ends up being really really essential tho.
Old 10-01-18, 03:53 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Yeah, my favorite Stones album may still be Exile. Sticky Fingers and Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! live albums come very close to my #1 .

I still enjoy Beggar's Banquet, Satanic Majesty's Request, Let it Bleed, Some Girls, Tattoo You and the vastly underrated Dirty Work. What makes Dirty Work so great is it's mostly Keith's album and simmering with pent up resentment over unresolved conflicts with Jagger, which Keith acknowledged was his own fault for being drugged up for years while Jagger carried the band. So if real life drama counts for anything in creative endeavors, Dirty Work was their last great album.

gyyyo!'s versions of midnite rambler, live with me and stray cat blues all shred.
Old 10-01-18, 03:57 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post

i can't poke a hole in that argument. por mi, it's just a feeling of that particular day. sticky fingers usually reigns supreme for me but exile satisfies just the same. made a playlist mixing in both albums and it's a blessing.
Old 02-21-19, 08:07 AM
Goofball

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Beggars banquet, let it bleed, sticky fingers, exile, what a run, all produced by jimmy miller
Old 07-05-19, 11:30 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, that is the reason that folks that are my age can't hear.... .....that and going to see The Rolling Stones more than twelve times (13 times over all the decades and hope to see them for number 14 and beyond....)

There is a version of You Got the Silver (perfect quality) that first appeared on a seventies era bootleg Lp that has Jagger singing instead of Keith.........this Jagger version was also done in the same '69 studio session and is great but Keith's version was the right choice.

The whole entire Let it Bleed album, as well as the most famous Beggars Banquet tracks and the Jumping Jack Flash /Child of The Moon (single) and the ***** Tonk Women / You Can't Always Get What You Want ---earlier version released five and a half months before the LP version on Let IT Bleed, and then the most famous tracks of Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street ---------------if you packaged that, the only suitable title would have to be "THE GENIUS OF KEITH RICHARD".............yep, he was not using the (s) during that era..... Rock and Roll Guitar playing defined such that if you had to put just a one word definition it would be Keith, or just a picture of Keith.
NOBODY ACCOMPLISHED MORE FROM SO LITTLE, THE 5 STRING BANJO TUNING (open G ) toss away the sixth string because it gets tuned to D and because G is the root and its the fifth string, you don't need the dang sixth string.............
OPEN G tuning LOW to high (D) G D G B D obviously the in parenthesis (D) is the 6th string the gets omitted or removed all together....thus 5 strings....
It gives a hellaciously full sounding G chord with no hands touching the fretboard
and one-finger major chords.......................you know the musical alphabet don't you? G G#/A flat A A#/B flat B C C#/D flat D D#/Eflat E F F#/Gflat then it repeats .... G G#/A flat A A#/Bflat B C C#/Dflat ......................

you can travel up and back along this moveable alphabet as long as you have guitar frets.....

INCREDIBLY SIMPLE TO REMEMBER: B goes directly to C and E goes directly to F , otherwise every other letter has a sharp/flat equivalent letter in between (What I mean is B flat and A sharp (A#) are exactly the SAME, they can simply be called different names.....)

Keith then has this simple signature move of throwing down the BIRD finger on the B string (2nd String) and throwing down the RING finger on the 4th STRING (D string) beyond the simple one index finger major chord..................
the BIRD FINGER lands one fret up and the RING finger lands on next fret up.......................................................thus if PLAYING the C chord with the index finger across all five strings at the FIFTH FRET...............drop the BIRD finger on the B string (2nd String) at SIXTH FRET and that along with the index barre across the strings at the FIFTH FRET and what you've got is some type of suspended C chord............................................okay NOW IF YOU DO THAT AND AT THE SAME TIME, YOU ALSO throw down the RING finger on the 4th STRING (D string) at the SEVENTH FRET, you get the F add 9 chord
-------------------------so you get the basic I to IV chord move heard in Stones' classics since 1969......it is the Keef sound
So in the key of C, the C is the I chord because by definition the I chord is the whatever key you're in, isn't it.......... In the key of C, the IV chord would be F, although in this case it is always the add 9 version, thus here Keef is using the F add 9 which works perfectly enough for this type of rock and roll.

Anyway it is classic and simple. I will not waste any more time , risking complicating matters by explaining more.
Youtube has some fine simple explanations from the likes of hoodrio and others....................classic keith richards, open g guitar playing, etc...

Monkey Man is all standard tuning.... as is Gimme..... ***** Tonk Women (single) and the later massive hits Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Start Me Up are all OPEN G, as are 1971's CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING the classic keith part that everyone remembers and so much more.

Keith often uses a CAPO which not too many folks try on rock and roll electric guitar.

He is also a great acoustic guitar player and is responsible for crafting so many memorable songs.
So many morons say Mick Taylor is so great and yes he was great at fluid singing solos such as heard in live versions of Love In Vain, and You Can't Always Get What You Want from the 1972 US TOUR and 1973 LA Forum "earthquake benefit" and 1973 Hawaii tour, and 1973 Australia Tour, and 1973 European tour (none of theseYou Can't Always versions have been released except perhaps the dvd of '72 tour movie Ladies & Gentlemen....

Most people do not realize that the LET IT BLEED album is all KEEF from a guitar standpoint except on the song Live With Me.
Keith did everything on all the 1968 and 1969 records.
Brian Jones was wasted beyond the ability to contribute anything by 1968, so much that by early '69 they decide to kick him out of the band. About two months after being kicked out, Jones drowns in his mansion's pool on July 3rd and the Stones' planned July 5th concert in Hyde Park for 300,000 fans becomes a wake of sorts, a most horrible performance that can't provide anything useful even though it was filmed and recorded with state of the art equipment for that era..........decades later the Stones did allow for klein / london-decca , whoever had the songs rights/ownership to release it once they agreed on terms.

the singles (45 rpm records) from 1968 and 1969 are as good, or better than anything on Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky, Exile...
Unless you bought the 45 singles, you had no way to play these tunes until the Blue Stop Sign Album (compilation album came out in late 1969 at about the same time as Let it Bleed, maybe a few weeks before Let It Bleed was issued.
-- JUMPING JACK FLASH / CHILD OF THE MOON
--***** TONK WOMEN / YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT

I can't be certain by my recollection is that Child of The Moon and maybe the single version of YCAGWYW were not placed on LP.
There is another later great ROLLING STONES song that was the flip side of the 1974 It's Only Rock and Rolll single called THROUGH THE LONELY NIGHTS

Interestingly enough in 1975 Allen Klein/decca issue a compilation of alternate versions and unreleased songs to cash in on the 1975 Stones tour.
JIVING SISTER FANNY from the Let it Bleed recording sessions is on this compilation called Metamorphosis.
There are three versions of this tune that are completely done and are of perfect quality. The version chosen for Metamorphosis LP was the one that could be played on radio because one version has Jagger singing "and she effed up my electric guitar. All of the three versions sound as if they were done live in the studio..
this song is worth gathering from YOUTUBE.

Hey, whoever it was that stated that the mid eighties era album called DIRTY WORK was a decent album is WRONG in my opinion. DIRTY WORK is a horrible pile of trash that does not warrant listening to. Too Rude is the best thing on it. The cover of Harlem Shuffle is fine. One Hit To The Body is barely acceptable. Nothing else is even equal to the worst track on Emotional Rescue LP........where the boys go, ..

VOODOO LOUNGE cd (1994) is better than Exile on Main street(1972) in my opinion, and Exile is outstanding.
It ranks up there with SOME GIRLS (1978), TATTOO YOU (1981), GET YER YA-YAs OUT live '69 LP/cd, LET IT BLEED (1969) , STICKY FINGERS (1971)

STEEL WHEELS (1989) is outstanding too, as good or better than BLACK AND BLUE (1976) and IT's ONLY ROCK AND ROLL (1974)
Steel Wheels is better than BEGGARS BANQUET (1968) and BETWEEN THE BUTTONS (1967) and GOATS HEAD SOUP (1973) and EMOTIONAL RESCUE (1980)
Emotional Rescue is underrated as it has some great tracks, but it also has the inexplicably horrible 'where the boys go' and nearly equally horrible "summer romance"
Other than those two tracks, it is a really good album.
The crazy thing is that The Stones did the superb tracks, EVERYTHING IS TURNING TO GOLD , and I THINK I'M GOING MAD around that same time or perhaps during the Paris EMI sessions that ended up on SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL, and TATTOO.
Everything -and- I think I'm Going Mad can only be found on the now out of print compilation called Sucking In The 70's.

The March 1977 El Mocambo SIDE of LOVE YOU LIVE LP (club in Toronto called El Mocambo) is absolutely fantastic.

There is a JUNE 1978 live recording of HOUND DOG at their performance at the mid-south coliseum in memphis that is superb and should be released. It was perfectly recorded by either King Biscuit or Westwood One or ABC Radio etc.

There is a superb live release called STRIPPED from the mid 1990's.

1997 has a great song called SAINT OF ME on the Bridges To Babylon cd

There are some fantastic songs that are outtakes from some albums that are great and should be heard.
Yes, they have added some previous outtakes to some various release packages.....e.g. some girls special edition etc but typically those tunes you can see why they were outtakes because they just were not equal to the other tracks...

There is a 1993 recording that was a Voodoo Lounge outtake, called Jump on Top of Me......perfect quality.....great version......IT CAN BE FOUND ON THE SUPERB bootleg CD called Stripped Companion There is a version of an old song that I think Jimmy Reed did called "Honest I Do" which is on the bootleg CD called Stripped Companion that is tremendous.

There are two versions of the 1958 Jerry Butler song called "FOR YOUR PRECIOUS LOVE" that were recorded in 1989 during the STEEL WHEELS sessions.
Incredible is the only description applicable.

There is a 12" single version of Mixed Emotions that was only available as single until the officially released 2005 compilation CD called Rolling Stones Rarites, also on that same Rarities cd is "Through The Lonely Nights" (the flip side to the Its only rock and roll 45 rpm in 1974) Sadly there isn't much else on that CD that is worth seeking except for perhaps the long version of Miss You. The Rolling Stones have been notoriously poor at giving their fans one compilation of all the really good rare stuff.......instead you've got what seems like four thousand various issues, compilations, hit packages with maybe one decent previously unreleased song and several other previously unreleased songs that should have been left in the storage closet, or that they simply should have erased and re-used the tape to record something else.

Stones fans will also appreciate the great song called "I CAN'T STAND THE RAIN" on Ronnie Wood's 1975 NOW LOOK album.
The arrangement is in my opinion the definitive version and best version of this tune by anyone ever.
This has the classic KEITH and WOODY guitar attack................if you don't think you ever have heard this one, go find it on youtube and listen to it.
Ron Wood's vocal sounds like Bob Dylan at his best, and Wood's vocals generally were typically worse than Dylan, so that is saying something.
It sounds like a Rolling Stones song with a great matching vocal from Ronnie Wood.

A couple of tracks on Keef's TALK IS CHEAP album are nearly as great as Ronnie Wood's version of "I CAN'T STAND THE RAIN"on Ronnie's 1975 NOW LOOK LP.. There are three songs that are Excellent, if you can take Ronnie Wood's singing on Ronnie's 1974 solo album called I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO.................. Not anything else worth really listening to from Ronnie Wood other than the SLIDE ON THIS LIVE cd from the early nineties which amazingly enough is great (even the tracks Woody sings on).....stones sideman Bernard Fowler takes the lead vocals on some tracks.
The New Barbarians SOLD OUT 1979 tour of the USA had soundboard recordings from a few shows..............About ten or twelve years ago, live recordings from the Capital Center in Largo MD May 5, 1979 were officially released.............great rock and roll, but vocals are not tolerable.. awful as in your buddy doing karaoke and he can't sing.....but his timing of the vocal delivery is perfect but the voice itself is beyond horrible...........if you saw any of the shows on that tour, you enjoyed the heck out of it, they played really loud and the crowd was wild and it was a party......... .....it marked the only time that a previously unknown band, with no recordings , and no publicity, no radio airplay had ever instantly sold out every city that they announced, and they were playing 18,000 to 20,000 seat basketball arenas.............just to give you perspective this group assembled to play Keith's court ordered Benefit Concerts in Toronto on April 22, 1979 (two shows on 4-22-79)......................From the national publicity and news coverage of this 4-22-79 court ordered concerts........... a highly buzzed Keith and Woody were basking in the spotlight and they were asked by reporters something like with fan interest like this, any thoughts on playing more places, so they began to call around and rent basketball arenas that were available in major us cities and one or two amphitheaters..............No tour plans began until immediately after the 4-22-79 shows ended .................The tour developed within a week and the first shows were at the beginning of May 1979......they played about every night for about ten days or so. They played some new songs that Keith had recorded in 1977 mostly cover tunes of the new unreleased Keith songs, and then many of Ronnies songs and a Dylan cover, and Woody singing ***** Tonk Women and other Stones songs.........................I'm guessing that they just winged it and decided heck we know these songs and Woody knows the lyrics to some of the songs Jagger sings so lets just do it...............................I'm guessing they were running on High Octane Fuel and unlike ordinary musicians, you had two of the wealthiest rockers.......Keith was among the wealthiest as was Jagger, and Ronnie Wood was mega-rich too and super famous as the party animal lead guitarist and before that bassist in two famous bands with Rod Stewart as the frontman before joining his best pal in the Rolling stones.
People forget that Woody was the hardest working guitar player on the planet in 1975 touring with The Faces, and after that tour he was on loan to the stones but every fan knew he was a Rolling Stone, and after the Stones tour in the Summer of 1975 ended, The Faces toured again in 1975, ending for good as a group in around Nov when the final tour dates were completed.
Woody might not have a voice but he has at least three songs that he sings on that are great. Ooh La La, the title track of the 1973 Faces Lp which was their last LP release, is simply a classic.
Whatever folks think about WOOD and comparing him to the brilliant introvert, Taylor, .....Woodie is overall so much better for the group.............Sure, LOVE IN VAIN can't be done as well as Taylor did it, but everything else Gimme, You Can't, All Down The line, Street Fighting Man, Midnight rambler, Sympathy, Jumpin Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, ***** Tonk, Bit..., Tumbling Dice, Angie, Stray Cat Blues, have been performed LIVE with Ronnie Wood where Wood's performance equals or bests the live versions done with Mick Taylor..................................yes, Woodie isn't as reliable night after night to give a near perfect performance like Taylor was but perhaps that is part of Woody's charm. From an entertainment perspective, there is no question that Ron Wood is much more exciting to watch onstage than Mick Taylor. Woody energized the Stones when they needed it most and they recorded and released their largest selling records during his tenure....SOME GIRLS, and most of TATTOO YOU some of which contained ancient tracks going back to the Goats Head era..
Taylor is fantastic but Woody is much more all around useful and a better fit. Woody has the ability to get really funky which Taylor cannot do.
Wood is responsible for many classic rock tracks and he was a superstar in his own right before he ever joined the rolling stones.
People forget that he along with Rod had one of the biggest concert acts of the early seventies. There are a lot of classic tunes that are instantly recognizable as his guitar sound perfectly matched with Rod's raspy brilliant vocals.

P.S. Be careful or you might end up like me with diminished hearing in your old age.
In the old days, some of the concerts were super loud, I guess the level of impairment of the performers and sound people contributed to this sonic blast that literally would shake the walls of the arena. There was this one performer who performed as a two piece group, just him on a Hammond B-3 and just a drummer with massive amplification....................Talk about super loud............DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN ???
He was great. Heighty Hi, Stormy Monday, Rock Me Baby....... I don't know WHO was loudest but they were incredibly loud too.......Tommy can you hear me....TOMMY....TOMMY.......yeah that is Tommy's wife next door trying to get Tommy's attention and Tommy is just twenty feet away on the patio, grilling chicken breasts on the grill. Like every 68 year old who saw all of the big acts back in the day, Tommy and most of the rest of us can't hear unless you get really loud. At least we were smart enough to not partake of or cease doing the really stupid things folks did during some of those shows during that era. Many did check out early because of stupidity of the times. Drugs are never the answer unless something prescribed by your physician for a real medical condition. Thankfully some folks did progress from young dumb and stupid to smart productive citizens if they were lucky.
LOUD is relative......Too Loud and you'll be wishing that you took better care of your hearing if you live long enough................. I don't think they have anything like they do with artificial knee replacements and such.