Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Finally! (?)

Old 06-17-19, 11:39 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '92 Specialized Epic Carbon - '15 Cannondale CAAD10 Disc - '81 Trek 710 - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I will second @ManInBlack - congrats!! Looking strong in that photo. Trim, too, of course!

A dialed-in bike always feels really good. And for group rides, it's one less thing on your mind as you work and get faster. A little bar tape re-work wouldn't hurt (and I usually start the wind from the ends of the bars, toward the center/stem clamp), though that may be the kind that is a bit stiff and doesn't wrap around/laterally flex like standard EVA/foam tape. I've tried to work with it and have had middling success.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 06-20-19, 09:36 AM
velojym

Bikes: 2000 Kona Jake the Snake, Surly LHT, Montague Paratrooper, Cannondale M500, Santana Arriva, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Not really doing any 'official' weigh-ins while I'm in NM, as I'm away from my scale. The ancient spring scale in my folks' house is telling me I'm hovering around 240 or so... but we'll see when I get back to the house.
In the meantime, I thought I'd do part of the Tour de Taco while I'm here, and though I only planned on doing the 20 mile route this time, I cut South and added a few miles.
Strava doesn't know about the minor headwind on the way out, which made the 200 ft minor climb on the westbound leg seem a bit more stiff.
Also, my neck isn't used to holding my head up like that for a couple hours, another thing I need to re-train.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2465905932

Last edited by velojym; 06-20-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 10:11 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym View Post
Also, my neck isn't used to holding my head up like that for a couple hours, another thing I need to re-train.
I know, right? Necks get stronger, but still on long rides I get tired of holding my head up. My helmet has a visor, and I discovered that it is possible for me to lower my head for a while and see through holes in the visor. That works when there are long empty stretches and I don't need to be looking far ahead all the time.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 06-20-19, 11:31 AM
velojym

Bikes: 2000 Kona Jake the Snake, Surly LHT, Montague Paratrooper, Cannondale M500, Santana Arriva, Bridgestone 200

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I know, right? Necks get stronger, but still on long rides I get tired of holding my head up. My helmet has a visor, and I discovered that it is possible for me to lower my head for a while and see through holes in the visor. That works when there are long empty stretches and I don't need to be looking far ahead all the time.
I spent most of my exercise time, over the last few months, hiking some fairly strenuous and technical trails. My head was down through much of that, as in my heavier condition I was very careful about rocks and off-camber surfaces.
I don't plan on doing a lot of the longer rides in the short term, and will probably spend a few more weeks aiming for the more casual group rides, which oughta get my neck (as well as my kiester) better conditioned for riding.
Old 06-24-19, 03:15 PM
velojym

Before I went to NM, I went about switching the LHT's wheels back to it, and fitting my Chukkers to Jake.
Well, oops. My tubes all had something like 32mm stems, too short to use in those wheels. As I was close to leaving, I decided to just take the Surly with me.
While I was a little disappointed that I didn't rush to bring Jake with me, the LHT turned out to be a great bike for the roads around Clovis.

When I got back last night, the tubes I'd ordered were here, so after a bit of a sleep-in, I went down and got Jake back up to ride-able. I may strip the bike down later and do a full-on
upgrade-overhaul, but we'll be good for a while here.
While I was at it, I figured I wouldn't be using Sarge (the Paratrooper) as much for road rides, so I slapped on some Honey Badgers I had handy. At 2.2", definitely fatter than the 2" slicks I was running, and probably the biggest I'd care to run on this bike. It'd fit a little bigger, but I like a little clearance. A ride in the driveway and on the lawn reminded me that it's been a *while* since I rode a knobby MTB. The plan with this one is to take it to a nearby state park and maybe give the easy trails a try.

Jake, finally with stems long enough for these Chukkers

Sarge, with knobby tires for the first time in a long time.
Old 07-04-19, 07:14 PM
velojym

I took Jake out again today, and it felt *really* good. The old Selle Italia saddle felt like I'd never left it for over a decade.
However, my flush/lube job on the brifters may not have been quite enough, as it was missing shifts from time to time. Rather than futz with it, I've gone ahead and ordered a new set of Sora brifters to match my 2x9 drivetrain.
I didn't want to spend a bunch right now, as I figure on doing a complete re-vamp of Jake in the not-too-distant future. I just want something that'll shift my current gears for now.

There's a spur not far from home, about 3 miles away. It's a 3 mile lap out and back to a school, with no traffic during the Summer... as the school is the only thing on the road. Nearly 800ft elevation gain on the 2-lap 6.2 mile ride.
For close, quick workouts during Summer mornings, it'll be a perfect place to work my lap count up as I gain cycling fitness.
Old 07-05-19, 12:48 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Cool beans Brother!!
Old 07-08-19, 09:23 PM
velojym

I was on the road over the weekend, delivering a cat for a friend. On the way back, I'm spending some more time with my family in NM, and my folks bought a modern scale! Woot!

So, my Monday weigh-in this morning: 243.6

I've blown past my HW wager, and still on my way to 200.

Also, my brother bought another road bike, an older 105 level Schwinn Super Sport in XL, and while I did pack my Montague in the trunk, I'm planning to put a few miles on his "new" bike.
Old 07-14-19, 08:16 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '92 Specialized Epic Carbon - '15 Cannondale CAAD10 Disc - '81 Trek 710 - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
200 is a great goal!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: