Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

A Wider Q-Factor Possibly Beneficial?

Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 01-06-19, 01:40 PM
calamarichris
Horse Categorie

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I've always gone with the narrowest Q-factor possible, but I recently built up a bike that had a non-performance crank and bottom bracket that were much wider (over 2cm wider at least than my usual Dura Ace 7800 crank & BB.) And I noticed that my legs were less prone to tightening up when digging deep/pedaling hard.

I'm a larger rider, 185 pounds, 6'2" with proportional hips, and I wonder if perhaps riders my size do not benefit from the narrowest Q-factor possible? There isn't much information on it (the best I was able to find so far is the below pasting on the Wikipedia entry, but my local bike fitter said that the narrowest-Q-factor is basically a wives tale that doesn't apply to everyone.
******Pasted from Wikipedia:
A larger Q Factor (wider tread) will mean less cornering clearance (while pedaling) for the same bottom bracket height and crank arm length. A smaller Q Factor (narrower tread) is desirable on faired recumbent bicycles because then the fairing can also be narrower, hence smaller and lighter.[4] Sheldon Brown said that a narrower tread is ergonomically superior because it more closely matches the nearly-inline track of human footsteps.[5]Research from The University of Birmingham in the United Kingdom suggests narrower Q Factors are more efficient, likely due to improved application of force during the pedal stroke, as well the potential for reduced knee variability and risk of injury.******
Old 01-06-19, 01:43 PM
calamarichris
Horse Categorie

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Has anyone else experimented with widening the "tread"/Q-factor? What did you learn?

How did you do it? Shift cleats inward?

Are Hollowtech spacers suitable for outboard bottom brackets to help?
I don't want to use the pedal spacers, because I don't need to go 2cm wider--perhaps 5 to 10 mm wider.
Old 01-06-19, 01:57 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
Interesting challenge, going to substantially wider Q-factor. I will not be of much help. I'm of the as-narrow-as-possible type. (My knees do not like wide Q-factors at all and have never seen too narrow. A bike they love is my latest fix gear with a narrow Phil Wood BB, set up asymmetrical for chainline on the right and crank close to the chainstay on the left. I do my best to stay away from Shimano cranks and look for older Sugino cranks because they are straighter with smaller clearances to chain and chainstay.

We all have to find what works of us. I love seeing the creativity people use to meet that need.

Ben
Old 01-06-19, 02:26 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Standing up going uphill you will find if the Q gets too wide you are fighting the bars/bike.
Old 01-10-19, 12:52 AM
calamarichris
Horse Categorie

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Standing up going uphill you will find if the Q gets too wide you are fighting the bars/bike.

I actually experienced the reverse when standing with these wider cranks. One thing I've been incorporating in my focus when training is dynamically and fluidly bracing one pedal against the other when pedaling. It might simply be psychosomatic, but I've found that when my focus is good and I'm able to do it well, it feels stronger and easier, AND my HR-to-watts ratio also confirms its benefit. And when I did it with the wider cranks, the additional leverage was slightly offset by the awkward lateral feeling of the wideness. it didn't exactly feel like I was fighting the bars (which are 52cm wide, to accommodate the dog chariot.) or bike though.

So today I drove up to Santa Monica visit Nate Loyal to check on this. He explained to me why and how I do not need a wider Q-factor. Also did an 8-year check up on my fit on 3 bikes. He left a lazer pointed at my knees while I pedaled for a few minutes and he believed going wider would be a mistake.

My saddle on my "base" bike, (my beloved 86 Schwinn Peloton) had somehow crept back and down over half a centimeter since I last saw Nate in 2010.

A lot happened over the last 8 years. He's fathered two kids, I've broken 6 (or so) bones, including a femur, which I feared would affect my leg strength imbalance. Thankfully it appears I dodged that bullet, but Nate told me a few stories about clients of his who'd broken femurs, who'd had some interesting anatomic anomalies. In addition to Nate's expertise and meticulosity when performing the personal fit, it was also an enlightening experience.

LA traffic just gets worse and worse every time I go up there, (which happily is not often), but Nate is worth the drive.

Last edited by calamarichris; 01-10-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-10-19, 12:47 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 181 Posts
I intentionally widened the Q on my touring bike because I started the trip on the last weeks of February and wore shoe-covers to keep mt feet warmer and drier,

with pedal extenders , so those shoe covers did not rub against the crank arms , with every pedal stroke .. you get used to it .. Bike tour was 3 seasons long..

I now have a somewhat wide setup to get the chain-line right, for the requirements of the Rohloff hub in the back..

Single chainring on inside of crank spider , disc chain guard on the outside...

Old 01-11-19, 04:38 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
I put 15 mm pedal extenders on my bike last year. I feel more natural on my bike. My knees go straight up and down almost automatically. Without the extenders, I need to concentrate to do that.

I'm a clyde, though - big thighs.
Old 01-11-19, 05:20 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 56 Posts
Wider Q-factors are much more comfortable to me. Narrow Q-factors give me a funny feeling in my knees - doesn't feel right. I use pedal extenders on some bikes. (I'm big, 6'5").
Old 04-11-19, 09:53 AM
Nikola88

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I use 20mm pedal extenders on my road/fixed bikes, my hips are a little bit wider and i found that my knees feel better now, especially when riding single speed (it even helped with toe overlap on one bike), its easy to try, there are cheap 15mm ones on ebay