Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

No, chocolate milk does not improve the recovery of athletes (French version only)

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

No, chocolate milk does not improve the recovery of athletes (French version only)

Old 02-11-19, 08:46 PM
  #1  
SylvainG
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ottawa,ON,Canada
Posts: 1,250

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No, chocolate milk does not improve the recovery of athletes (French version only)

No, chocolate milk does not improve the recovery of athletes (French version only) | Scientifique en chef

Must know French or know how to use a translate site

I used to drink a glass of chocolate milk after my commute home, thinking the benefits overtook the sugar spike. Not too sure anymore...
SylvainG is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 10:52 PM
  #2  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I knew I should have taken French instead of Spanish in HS.
Bmach is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 01:13 AM
  #3  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
I knew I should have taken French instead of Spanish in HS.
En California saber Frances no te sirve para nada.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 01:21 AM
  #4  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,903

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 60 Times in 51 Posts
I had my first dietary breakthrough when I quite consuming milk and all non-cultured milk products when I was racing 40 years ago. Last year my GP strongly urged me to go dairy-free (again). I did. Another breakthrough. I feel better at 66 than I ever did as a kid. The chocolate milk ads were lost on me from day one.

Ben
79pmooney is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 06:30 AM
  #5  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
As I understand it, the whole "recovery window" idea has been deemed to be somewhat overrated. Yes you might absorb nutrients faster, but unless you are doing a crazy amount of volume each day (like a grand tour), and assuming you eat enough, then nutrient absorption likely isn't the limiting factor in your recovery. The meal you eat a couple of hours later will be absorbed just as well (albeit a bit more slowly).
OBoile is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 07:06 AM
  #6  
BloomBikeShop
BloomBikeShop.com
 
BloomBikeShop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 534

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The National Dairy Council will do its best to make sure there isn't an English version available.
BloomBikeShop is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 07:49 AM
  #7  
BonkonFleet
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 40

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda sl6 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never understood people drinking chocolate milk after a workout, or bike ride. Milk bloats me so bad I'd rather not eat or drink anything after a ride than drink milk.
BonkonFleet is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 09:21 AM
  #8  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BonkonFleet View Post
I never understood people drinking chocolate milk after a workout, or bike ride. Milk bloats me so bad I'd rather not eat or drink anything after a ride than drink milk.
Milk doesn't bloat everyone. It is, in theory, a good blend of carbs and protein for a post-workout recovery drink.
OBoile is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 10:55 AM
  #9  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post


En California saber Frances no te sirve para nada.
so true
Bmach is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 11:29 AM
  #10  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,190
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BonkonFleet View Post
I never understood people drinking chocolate milk after a workout, or bike ride. Milk bloats me so bad I'd rather not eat or drink anything after a ride than drink milk.
Have you tried lactaid? You probably just have reduced lactase enzyme.
redlude97 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 11:46 AM
  #11  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,190
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Here is the main article referenced to make their point https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/b...-2018-0152.pdf
The comparison is between drinking chocolate milk or gatorade of equal calorie/kg following a 40km TT and then allowing the athletes to consume whatever they wanted in the following day. If the cyclists didn't drink chocolate milk they naturally consumed more protein in post meals to make up for it, and ended up consuming more calories, carbs, fat, and protein overall than the chocolate milk group. So while chocolate milk may not provide an added performance benefit, it may be a way to curb hunger following a hard ride and keep food consumption in check. That's been my experience as well, a post ride drink containing protein+carbs(not necessarily milk) allows me not to gorge on pizza or a greasy burger right after
redlude97 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 12:22 PM
  #12  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 5,219

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Well, if chocolate milk isn't going to be the magic bullet, I'll just have to fall back on chocolate iced cream filled doughnuts.

Should I buy some Krispy Kreme stock and go on daytime TV to push this new post-exercise recovery technique? It'll be at least two or three years until anyone can come out with a rigorous scientific study to prove it doesn't work!
pdlamb is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 12:26 PM
  #13  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 2,910

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Milk doesn't bloat everyone. It is, in theory, a good blend of carbs and protein for a post-workout recovery drink.
And it's delicious!
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 12:39 PM
  #14  
Mitkraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
Well, if chocolate milk isn't going to be the magic bullet, I'll just have to fall back on chocolate iced cream filled doughnuts.

Should I buy some Krispy Kreme stock and go on daytime TV to push this new post-exercise recovery technique? It'll be at least two or three years until anyone can come out with a rigorous scientific study to prove it doesn't work!
Someone beat you to it:

Mitkraft is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 02:19 PM
  #15  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,088

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2774 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft View Post
Fact. My recovery nutrients often include a convenience store stop for coffee and chocolate donuts.

I've lost 15 lbs on this recovery diet, down from 165 to 150. Well, that, and burning 3,000 calories per ride.

I did skip the cigarettes. Too many empty calories in those candy cigs.
canklecat is online now  
Old 02-12-19, 04:28 PM
  #16  
SylvainG
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ottawa,ON,Canada
Posts: 1,250

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Here is the main article referenced to make their point https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/b...-2018-0152.pdf
The comparison is between drinking chocolate milk or gatorade of equal calorie/kg following a 40km TT and then allowing the athletes to consume whatever they wanted in the following day. If the cyclists didn't drink chocolate milk they naturally consumed more protein in post meals to make up for it, and ended up consuming more calories, carbs, fat, and protein overall than the chocolate milk group. So while chocolate milk may not provide an added performance benefit, it may be a way to curb hunger following a hard ride and keep food consumption in check. That's been my experience as well, a post ride drink containing protein+carbs(not necessarily milk) allows me not to gorge on pizza or a greasy burger right after
That's one of the articles, not necessarily the main one (there are no main one). That article only followed 12 cyclists. No research were done with a large sample size hence why no main article. There is a meta-analysis article linked to it but even they said that "larger sample sizes are warranted"
SylvainG is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 04:49 PM
  #17  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,190
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG View Post
That's one of the articles, not necessarily the main one (there are no main one). That article only followed 12 cyclists. No research were done with a large sample size hence why no main article. There is a meta-analysis article linked to it but even they said that "larger sample sizes are warranted"
well the meta analysis found positive results contrary to the article(as translated to english) so I meant the only one quoted in the article that supports the premise
A larger study, released in 2017, however, sways the balance of evidence on the side of skeptics. This is a meta-analysis - that is, a study that reviews a large number of published studies on the same topic and therefore results in a more robust outcome - that also concludes that chocolate milk has no benefit from the point of view of sports recovery. She has appeared in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. After analyzing 33 studies including markers of recovery, effort, burnout, heart rate and lactate and creatine kinase levels in elite athletes, researchers write that chocolate milk offers no advantage compared to placebos or sports drinks.
Originally Posted by Eur J Clin Nutr.
In conclusion the present systematic review and meta-analysis, revealed that CM consumption after exercise improved TTE compared to placebo or CHO + PRO + FAT drinks. Furthermore, CM consumption led to lower blood lactate compared to placebo. Therefore, CM either provides similar or superior results on recovery indices compared to other recovery drinks and thus represents an alternative and often economic replacement. Further investigations with larger sample sizes and more rigorous methodology will help to elucidate the effect of CM on recovery from exercise.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29921963

If you don't have access to the full article I can email a PDF
redlude97 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 05:43 PM
  #18  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Milk doesn't bloat everyone. It is, in theory, a good blend of carbs and protein for a post-workout recovery drink.

Pfft!!!! Nothing beats a post-ride cold beer. Nothing!
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 05:47 PM
  #19  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post



Pfft!!!! Nothing beats a post-ride cold beer. Nothing!
I like the way you think good sir!
OBoile is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 06:02 PM
  #20  
SylvainG
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ottawa,ON,Canada
Posts: 1,250

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
well the meta analysis found positive results contrary to the article(as translated to english) so I meant the only one quoted in the article that supports the premise

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29921963

If you don't have access to the full article I can email a PDF
Yes, but each of the studies within the meta-analysis didn't have a large sample size hence why the meta-analysis said as its last line of its conclusion "larger sample sizes are warranted "
SylvainG is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 06:08 PM
  #21  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,190
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG View Post
Yes, but each of the studies within the meta-analysis didn't have a large sample size hence why the meta-analysis said as its last line of its conclusion "larger sample sizes are warranted "
That doesn't mean that the conclusions drawn are incorrect, otherwise there is no evidence to back up the article, then what is the point of the article? Certainly not what the title implies then if you want to take that position.
redlude97 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 06:10 PM
  #22  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
I like the way you think good sir!
Gracias!
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 06:22 PM
  #23  
SylvainG
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ottawa,ON,Canada
Posts: 1,250

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
That doesn't mean that the conclusions drawn are incorrect, otherwise there is no evidence to back up the article, then what is the point of the article? Certainly not what the title implies then if you want to take that position.
Yes, it doesn't mean that the conclusion are incorrect but to me, it means that studies with a larger sample size are needed to sway in one direction or the other. Personally, since last Fall, I try to limit my fiberless simple sugar intake and this article makes me wonder if, beside its great (to me) taste, drinking CM is worth it, dietary.
SylvainG is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 06:28 PM
  #24  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,190
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG View Post
Yes, it doesn't mean that the conclusion are incorrect but to me, it means that studies with a larger sample size are needed to sway in one direction or the other. Personally, since last Fall, I try to limit my fiberless simple sugar intake and this article makes me wonder if, beside its great (to me) taste, drinking CM is worth it, dietary.
In almost all the studies the placebo is a fiberless sugar drink compared to chocolate milk. There is no question(according to this article as well) that simple sugars are a great recovery after cycling, the only question is whether CM provides additional benefit.
redlude97 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 06:31 PM
  #25  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 5,540

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
If your body is depleted after a hard ride, then anything will act as a recovery drink. It doesn't matter if it's chocolate milk or Gatorade or beer or some other carb or sugar rich drink, your body will use whatever it is given at that time. Studies like these are pointless and prove nothing. Food and beverage manufacturers will do anything they can to promote their product as being superior, but in the end they all work.
wolfchild is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.