Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Cyclist's palsy - it's real!

Old 04-09-19, 11:11 AM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How does one treat this once it sets in?
Old 04-09-19, 11:39 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Wait for the feeling to come back. I pinched a nerve in my shoulder once and it took 6 months to get the feeling back in my hand.
Old 04-10-19, 08:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie View Post
How does one treat this once it sets in?
Never again do whatever it was you did. Wait. Hope. Nerves are amazingly good at repairing themselves. I do these hand exercises several times a day when I have hand or wrist problems. They seem to help.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Exercises
Old 04-14-19, 07:58 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
... Most cycling specific gloves have a gap there so it doesn't push on the nerve. Adding too much padding can cause this problem. The ulnar nerve probably is easier to push on. ...
I've had good success with these with their "ulnar channel groove." https://shop.serfas.com/p/rsm-rd-men...rt-finger?pp=8
Old 05-19-19, 05:59 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Did you also have numbness going down your arm, from the elbow to your pinky and ring finger? If so, you probably had Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. I had this for about a week when I was training for my first century ride. The ulnar nerve comes around the elbow and enters the Cubital Tunnel, just distal to the elbow. It gets pinched at this point from hours of having your elbow somewhat flexed. It is becoming more common with many people who use their smart phones so much. Picture yourself using your smart phone as a computer instead of a phone. Your elbows are at an angle just larger than 90 degrees. That's a similar position to our arms when cycling.

I saw an orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible and also had nerve conduction studies done by a neurologist to see how much damage was done to the ulnar nerve. I was really scared, considering I use my hands for work. I treated the condition by wearing an elbow brace at night to keep my elbow straight. In all honesty, I just took a short length of 1 X 2 wood and loosely wrapped an Ace bandage around my arm when I was sleeping or lounging. This helped. I also no longer allow my elbows to be so flexed when I'm riding. This does put some more stress on my shoulders, so I try to place my hands in different positions every few minutes.

If you didn't have numbness going down your arm, then I hope this is helpful to someone else.