Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Fender width

Old 03-21-19, 12:59 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Fender width

So, I read that Jan Hein did wind tunnel aerodynamic testing to prove that "the overall effect of the full fender and (small) mudflap neither increases nor decreases the wind resistance of the bike."

But I notice his picture show he use very skinny fenders that seem to barely cover the tire's width.

So, the question is how much does wide fenders slow you down? Lets discuss.
Old 03-21-19, 01:33 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 438 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I think part of his argument is that fenders increase drag in some areas, but the part of the front fender that covers the top part of the front of the front tire reduces drag, so the net effect is negligible. That makes sense to me, but my front fender hardly goes down the front at all, so I doubt I get any advantage there.
Old 03-21-19, 01:33 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Given my frontal surface area and my preference for sitting more upright due to lack of flexibility in my lower back, the width of fenders is certainly not making me go any slower than I already do.
Old 03-21-19, 01:51 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
Old 03-21-19, 08:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
We ride our tandem year 'round, fenders in winter, none in summer. We have normal over-width fenders and a big rear mudflap. I don't notice a difference. I used to keep track on Strava - winter trim and summer trim - but quit when it became obvious that it made no difference. Of course that's on a tandem. Still, clothing, position, and tires will make the most difference. For sure you'll be faster if more comfortable, so fenders are good, especially long and large mudflaps on the front fender.
Old 03-24-19, 09:06 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
The wind tunnel testing was mostly nonsense. I've never seen anyone run a fender like the one in the test and the results would most likely not replicate with any off the shelf fenders. It's the same as how a rear saddlebag that was wider than the rider's hips was used as proof that front handlebar bags have less drag than rear saddlebags. Nonsense.

Like wide tires and handlebar bags, I believe there is additional aero drag due to fenders but over most distances it's negligible. Would I run a fender in a time trial or a race? No. For a 300k+? I debate quite a bit as I know from experience having fenders adds anywhere from 15-25 minutes over 200k. Usually I take fenders but if it's going to be completely dry I have foregone them in the past.

But for most of my everyday riding bikes the difference is small enough that it's just noise. On particularly windy days I do notice the difference in the effect of gusty headwinds when using fenders on the same bike vs when fenders aren't installed. If a 10-15-20mph cross wind is obviously affecting the bike more with fenders does it not stand to reason that wind directly from the front has an effect as well
Old 03-25-19, 12:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
hungry

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 79 Posts
^ I was a little incredulous after reading that article as well. It would seem that anything additional that you put in the wind has the potential to add drag, even if it's in front of or behind something else.

I don't have any data to prove it, but I feel like I have to work a little harder with fenders on. It may just be in my head.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-25-19, 05:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
the first year I rode with fenders was a bad year for me anyway, so I have no point of comparison. But I don't think fenders really slow me down much. I like fenders a lot, so I think I will stick with them. I think the best part about fenders is not getting wet when the rain has stopped but the roads are still wet.
Old 03-25-19, 05:23 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite, 2007 Spec. Roubaix Elite, 2003 Spec. Big Hit 2, 1998 VooDoo Zobop, 1985 Trek 410, 1984 Trek 620

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
So, I read that Jan Hein did wind tunnel aerodynamic testing to prove that "the overall effect of the full fender and (small) mudflap neither increases nor decreases the wind resistance of the bike."

But I notice his picture show he use very skinny fenders that seem to barely cover the tire's width.

So, the question is how much does wide fenders slow you down? Lets discuss.
Fenders slowing me down - now that's funny!

My mountain bike shorts and long sleeve sun shirt flapping in the breeze is probably a bigger issue - but I'm not a racer. However, I do enjoy keeping up with my Lycra-clad buddies on their carbon bikes while I spin along on my vintage steel frame with fenders and DT shifters. I will admit to riding in the drops frequently and hiding behind other riders to reduce my wind exposure! And there are some riders who I couldn't keep up with no matter what I was riding, fenders or no.
Old 04-02-19, 07:46 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot View Post
The wind tunnel testing was mostly nonsense. I've never seen anyone run a fender like the one in the test and the results would most likely not replicate with any off the shelf fenders. It's the same as how a rear saddlebag that was wider than the rider's hips was used as proof that front handlebar bags have less drag than rear saddlebags. Nonsense.

Like wide tires and handlebar bags, I believe there is additional aero drag due to fenders but over most distances it's negligible. Would I run a fender in a time trial or a race? No. For a 300k+? I debate quite a bit as I know from experience having fenders adds anywhere from 15-25 minutes over 200k. Usually I take fenders but if it's going to be completely dry I have foregone them in the past.

But for most of my everyday riding bikes the difference is small enough that it's just noise. On particularly windy days I do notice the difference in the effect of gusty headwinds when using fenders on the same bike vs when fenders aren't installed. If a 10-15-20mph cross wind is obviously affecting the bike more with fenders does it not stand to reason that wind directly from the front has an effect as well
If I recall, Heine also was claiming that the long forward extension reduced water being thrown upward by the tire. Upward into the rider's face - one of Heine's goals for a good fender setup was to not throw water into the face, because road water could be contaminated by some really nasty and disgusting stuff. Of course it was also about protecting the drivetrain against dirt thrown back by the front wheel's rooster-tail, and other matters of foot and frame contamination.

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-02-19 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-03-19, 04:50 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 438 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
If you're getting a spray of nastiness thrown up from the road, it's probably the bike in front of you that needs better fenders. To protect the drive train etc, you need a really good mudflap on the front fender.

One of the drawbacks of fat tires is that they displace a lot of water, and the mudflap has to be wide enough to catch it.
Old 04-03-19, 07:05 AM
Bandera 
~>~

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 38 Posts

I've ridden the same 4 mile false flat for time on a variety of machines over the years.
Oddly enough the 2nd fastest time set in the '17 season was ridden on my winter/wet bike replete with full mudguards, box section 32 hole wheels, heavy 28mm tires and a cheerful bell.
Not exactly the ideal aero TT set-up but end of season fitness and the mind-set to lay down a stout time trumped light weight, lower position and aerodynamics on all but one full-on ride.

Fit = Fast.

-Bandera
Old 04-11-19, 12:23 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10E, 1966 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Fit = Fast.

-Bandera
Boom!