Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My wife isn't happy I brought home a 27 year old Redhead...

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My wife isn't happy I brought home a 27 year old Redhead...

Old 04-11-19, 01:57 PM
  #26  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit View Post
As a former hole snipe, it's barely worth reading....

Carry on, shipmate.
Thank you sir, for your services on board!!! Retired Photog...
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 02:26 PM
  #27  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
Aye, there is a a helluva a tease of your fine girl... Dare one ask... To see more?


OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 02:42 PM
  #28  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post



Pardon my crass manners as I whistle for such an appealing girl!!!
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 03:29 PM
  #29  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
Pardon my crass manners as I whistle for such an appealing girl!!!
Thanks! It’s an ‘86 760 w/Campy drivetrain. Only comes out on nice days but does get rode hard now and then.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 03:49 PM
  #30  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
Nice bike.

FWIW, I don't find those sorts of thread titles to be amusing. They harm the inclusiveness of the group. There's a reason that this subforum is overwhelmingly male.
The word “redhead” is genger neutral. It refers to gingers of either gender.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 04:04 PM
  #31  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post

Thanks! It’s an ‘86 760 w/Campy drivetrain. Only comes out on nice days but does get rode hard now and then.
I had decided to get some different wheels for my redhead, but seeing those black on yours, I may rethink that as it had some balck rims already, they are just filthy. I was considering some redtires all the same, and I think that might be the right thing to do as well. I had been trying to decide on grip tape, and think red may be the way to go, as it has black quill and seatpost already..

Yes sir, that is a nice ride indeed.
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 07:32 PM
  #32  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
I had decided to get some different wheels for my redhead, but seeing those black on yours, I may rethink that as it had some balck rims already, they are just filthy. I was considering some redtires all the same, and I think that might be the right thing to do as well. I had been trying to decide on grip tape, and think red may be the way to go, as it has black quill and seatpost already..

Yes sir, that is a nice ride indeed.
Be sure to post your progress!
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 07:46 PM
  #33  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrineau Park, Florida
Posts: 12,422

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
Thank you sir, for your services on board!!! Retired Photog...
Photo School at NAS Pensacola, by any chance? Lived her for 62 years, known many folks that went through the old school, done many buildings around place, onboard NASP.

BTW, nice thread, great comebacks, and @Aubergine and @wgscott get the "mic drop" and "FTW" on this one.

Semper Fi,
Bill

P.S. S'up Ryp and Ernesto @OldsCOOL and @eja_ bottecchia
__________________
I Didn't Choose To Have Parkinson's Disease, I Have Chosen Not To Allow It To Define How I Live
Life Member "Hairy Eared Engineer's Society"
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 04-11-19 at 07:57 PM.
qcpmsame is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 09:08 PM
  #34  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,520

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
Yeah, sorry to get your hopes up...

1992 Trek 1400. I couldn't pass guys on these 27 years ago. It is a bit rough, but might clean up ok.

Yes, I have a N+1 issue..
It all started with a failed attempt at another Trek...
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ek-1000-a.html
MIssed out on that bike, and then a 1200 popped up. But was too small... Then this 1400 popped up.
Did you buy her a goodie as well? Be fair, share and show you care now
__________________

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Rollfast is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 11:12 PM
  #35  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Photo School at NAS Pensacola, by any chance? Lived her for 62 years, known many folks that went through the old school, done many buildings around place, onboard NASP.

BTW, nice thread, great comebacks, and @Aubergine and @wgscott get the "mic drop" and "FTW" on this one.

Semper Fi,
Bill

P.S. S'up Ryp and Ernesto @OldsCOOL and @eja_ bottecchia
Good old Bldg 1500. I understand that is now the NAS Pensacola HQ building, and there is one room set as the Photo School Museum of sorts... I was there in Sept through Dec 1981, then again, Jan to May 1989.
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 11:14 PM
  #36  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Did you buy her a goodie as well? Be fair, share and show you care now
She gets plenty of goodies, Proper offset!
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 11:22 PM
  #37  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Cleaned up, taken out a couple times. Stole the wheels off another bike for now. New chain, new cassette, new brake pads. This was used as a winter commuter, and the crankset suffers for it, cosmetically. Crappy weather for now, but hope to ride Saturday, slow with the grand kids...

That yellow bar tape HAS to go... Being a 7 speed , I was surprised the wheels had a 9 speed cassette, but that didn't work well. It stays 7 speed, for now. But it rides nice and is way faster than I am. A compact crankset will be in order before too long.

Last edited by zjrog; 04-11-19 at 11:29 PM.
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 05:35 AM
  #38  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
i
Cleaned up, taken out a couple times. Stole the wheels off another bike for now. New chain, new cassette, new brake pads. This was used as a winter commuter, and the crankset suffers for it, cosmetically. Crappy weather for now, but hope to ride Saturday, slow with the grand kids...

That yellow bar tape HAS to go... Being a 7 speed , I was surprised the wheels had a 9 speed cassette, but that didn't work well. It stays 7 speed, for now. But it rides nice and is way faster than I am. A compact crankset will be in order before too long.
Lookin’ good, man. There is something extra cool about the classic Treks. What derailleurs are on this?
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 05:36 AM
  #39  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Photo School at NAS Pensacola, by any chance? Lived her for 62 years, known many folks that went through the old school, done many buildings around place, onboard NASP.

BTW, nice thread, great comebacks, and @Aubergine and @wgscott get the "mic drop" and "FTW" on this one.

Semper Fi,
Bill

P.S. S'up Ryp and Ernesto @OldsCOOL and @eja_ bottecchia
Bill, so good to see you posting lately! I pray all is well with you!
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 07:36 AM
  #40  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post

Lookin’ good, man. There is something extra cool about the classic Treks. What derailleurs are on this?
Thanks! Full Shimano 1055 105 group.

That chain was ok, just filthy, but no idea how old, didn't even bother to see if it was stretched. The wheels are true, but were also quite dirty, and the rear has had one spoke replaced, 1 silver spoke stands out in black spokes. As you can see, the crank looks ugly. I could tear it down, media blast it, or sand it and paint it I suppose. But as usual, I have a friend offering a deal on a more modern set up, and a definite step up from 105... Been down that rabbit hole...

My 1986 KHS Fiero... My first "adult" bike. Bought in 89, it survived a lot of parts changes, and then 10 or so years of neglect. Started as just a wheel change, then snowballed. 105 5600 brifters and derrailure, FSA Vero compact crankset, SRAM Apex brake calipers. Wheels were shot, found a pair of Alexrims at the bicycle Collective, which started the whole thing. The fancy wheels on it here, are show off only. That low spoke count looks nice, but not sturdy for my Clydsedale butt. Though the 20 spoke rear wheel is just fine on the trainer. It is as taller than the Trek, but I like the two sizes for different reasons.

Last edited by zjrog; 04-12-19 at 11:13 AM.
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 04:59 PM
  #41  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrineau Park, Florida
Posts: 12,422

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
Good old Bldg 1500. I understand that is now the NAS Pensacola HQ building, and there is one room set as the Photo School Museum of sorts... I was there in Sept through Dec 1981, then again, Jan to May 1989.
Indeed, it is now NASP HQ, always thought it looked so typical of the 30s and 40s military architecture around the base. If its been since '89 you were here, its a different world now, Hurricane Ivan seriously changed the area. Most of the facilities along the seawall were wiped out by flooding and tidal surge. A lot of places got torn up, or just flat washed away. Access is highly restricted for Force Protection requirements, no longer an open base as it was for so long. Glad I am retiring and don't have to hassle with security and my ID/passes/decals any more.

Bill
__________________
I Didn't Choose To Have Parkinson's Disease, I Have Chosen Not To Allow It To Define How I Live
Life Member "Hairy Eared Engineer's Society"
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
qcpmsame is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 07:18 PM
  #42  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Indeed, it is now NASP HQ, always thought it looked so typical of the 30s and 40s military architecture around the base. If its been since '89 you were here, its a different world now, Hurricane Ivan seriously changed the area. Most of the facilities along the seawall were wiped out by flooding and tidal surge. A lot of places got torn up, or just flat washed away. Access is highly restricted for Force Protection requirements, no longer an open base as it was for so long. Glad I am retiring and don't have to hassle with security and my ID/passes/decals any more.

Bill
I understand that the base has changed, it was quite a bit different between 81 and 89... Progress can't be avoided. I would LOVE to visit just for the Aircraft Museum!

Edit: When I Whenat Photo School in 89, I stopped in a bike shop and came close to buying a new Rakeigh MTB. But, uncertainty with shipping a new bike to Hawaii after school, I waited. That Raleigh got me back to riding, actually. Still haven't had a Raleigh...

Last edited by zjrog; 04-12-19 at 08:46 PM.
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 08:44 PM
  #43  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Got my bar tape in today, and on the bike. It has a fabric base, so doesn't stretch. That and I'm out of practice, so I hope it stays on... I ordered a spacer to use my 7 speed cassette on 8,9,10 hubs. That way I can put these wheels back on my Cannondale R200, and use one of the other set of wheels I have. I had picked up a set of used wheels with 5600 105 hubs, planning to use on my KHS. Buttttttt, I may just use them on the Trek instead. Yeah, I think that might be better for now.
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 10:29 AM
  #44  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The 105 group components are solid and dependable. I have an ‘87 Miyata 712 with full 105 right down to the hubs which all together lends a very dialed in feel and ride. Also, was surprised to see the KHS Fiero. KHS bikes are underrated in my opinion. I refurbed a KHS mountain bike a few years back. Solid performer!
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 01:27 PM
  #45  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
The 105 group components are solid and dependable. I have an ‘87 Miyata 712 with full 105 right down to the hubs which all together lends a very dialed in feel and ride. Also, was surprised to see the KHS Fiero. KHS bikes are underrated in my opinion. I refurbed a KHS mountain bike a few years back. Solid performer!
I stopped at my local bicycle Collective looking for an older 105 crankset like on the Trek. To no avail. I see no good reason to change from the 105 group just for change. It all works still and works well. Unless my friend settles on a price for something quite special.

The KHS was a bare frame at a bike shop, used. I didn't know any better at the time. But it was solid, and what I needed at the time. I later added the fork from a same era Nishiki Prestige that was wrecked. I was on a shoestring, scavenged from bikes left for trash, some parts new here and there... For 5 years, that bike was my prime ride and covered a lot of Oahu, Hawaii. I can't see letting this bike go for any reason.

After thinking last night, the wheels I was going to use on the KHS will be on the Trek for now. And the ones I got originally for the KHS will stay on it...
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 03:23 PM
  #46  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrineau Park, Florida
Posts: 12,422

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
I understand that the base has changed, it was quite a bit different between 81 and 89... Progress can't be avoided. I would LOVE to visit just for the Aircraft Museum!

Edit: When I Whenat Photo School in 89, I stopped in a bike shop and came close to buying a new Rakeigh MTB. But, uncertainty with shipping a new bike to Hawaii after school, I waited. That Raleigh got me back to riding, actually. Still haven't had a Raleigh...
Raleigh in '89, must have been Jim and Mary Fortney's shop over on 12th Ave, of one of the short lived places. Now its Truly Spokin' and Pensacola Cyclesport as the two major shops, with a few smaller operations that fill some niches. National Museum of Naval Aviation has grown immensely since you were here, it has now included an education aspect that runs a school simulating life on board a carrier for a week, with students coming in from around the nation. The retired USMC LTGEN that heads the museum, for the Enterprise Foundation, spoke at our church's men's group last October, the foundation is really on top of things and has it well under control/planned out.

If you get the chance to come back, give me a shout and I'll make sure you get the .25 tour, and perhaps we can pedal some miles around the area. Its a much different environment on board now, NATTC came from NAS Millington and all aviation rates train here now, busy place, and the USAF moved all of its UNT here, on board NAS Forrest Sherman Field, too. Corry Station is about to burst with the joint forces training in cyber defense and CT/EW/IT.

Bill
__________________
I Didn't Choose To Have Parkinson's Disease, I Have Chosen Not To Allow It To Define How I Live
Life Member "Hairy Eared Engineer's Society"
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
qcpmsame is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 07:32 PM
  #47  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Raleigh in '89, must have been Jim and Mary Fortney's shop over on 12th Ave, of one of the short lived places. Now its Truly Spokin' and Pensacola Cyclesport as the two major shops, with a few smaller operations that fill some niches. National Museum of Naval Aviation has grown immensely since you were here, it has now included an education aspect that runs a school simulating life on board a carrier for a week, with students coming in from around the nation. The retired USMC LTGEN that heads the museum, for the Enterprise Foundation, spoke at our church's men's group last October, the foundation is really on top of things and has it well under control/planned out.

If you get the chance to come back, give me a shout and I'll make sure you get the .25 tour, and perhaps we can pedal some miles around the area. Its a much different environment on board now, NATTC came from NAS Millington and all aviation rates train here now, busy place, and the USAF moved all of its UNT here, on board NAS Forrest Sherman Field, too. Corry Station is about to burst with the joint forces training in cyber defense and CT/EW/IT.

Bill
Fortney's sounds about right.

I'm not sure when I can make it that way, but sounds like a fun time!
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 07:36 PM
  #48  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Fun ride, just under 8 miles. Yeah, short for you guys! But good for me all the same. And a pic outdoors, not against the garage door... Never mind the filthy old Neon, bought new in 03...
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 08:32 AM
  #49  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 939

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Included a 30 minute trainer session on the Redhead yesterday, and have come to the conclusion, I need, yes NEED, a 50t chainring. Maybe as I get stornger and faster the 53 will return. But for now, it is nearly useless to me. I well remember a time I wondered why I couldn't have a 54t... Not that it helps now, but I see Origin8 sells up to a 56t!!! So, now my simple question for myself is, keep the original crank even in its ugly condition, or swap in a different crankset... A friend has made an obscene offer for a nearly complete group far above my capabilities or needs. Tempting. And I must say, I'm not as smooth in my reach for the downtube shifters as I used to be!!!
zjrog is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 07:21 PM
  #50  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,905

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
And I must say, I'm not as smooth in my reach for the downtube shifters as I used to be!!!
You can get an adapter that allows you to run your downtube shifters from your stem.
ColonelSanders is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.