Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Software update: 4/18/19

Old 04-24-19, 02:21 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6126 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Ah...the old, "It works for me (an Admin), so you (the customer) must be wrong." line. So, after all of that proof above about what I'm experiencing, it doesn't matter. It's my fault.

Got it.
Carlton, where are the scores of other BF users complaining about the problems you describe? Even a dozen users. I'll take five.

C'mon man, you're ignoring the obvious for some reason that is beyond *me*.
Old 04-24-19, 02:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Carlton, where are the scores of other BF users complaining about the problems you describe? Even a dozen users. I'll take five.

C'mon man, you're ignoring the obvious for some reason that is beyond *me*.
Bally, while I gather 5, will you ask your QA lead to chime in on this thread and see if (s)he can recreate this?

How many unique users ever reply to these "Update" threads. 5 total? 10? Out of thousands of users. Most just suffer in silence.

If this is how you guys run things, cool.

I come with "receipts" proving issues, and you call me a liar because others don't log into their developer console and take screenshots. Nice.
Old 04-24-19, 02:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can call me an a$$. But what you can't call me is wrong.

I know what the hell I'm doing and I've been doing it professionally at a high level for decades.

I love this site. I want it to be either the way it used to be or better. The past 2 years it's simply gotten worse with each update.

Not sure if you folks know, but I used to be a mod on this site and I quit because of other obligations. Would this feedback be better received if I had a blue star by my name again? If so, why? Do my words (and screenshots) not have strength enough to stand on their own?

Get it together, Admin crew.

Ban me if you like, that won't make you right.
Old 04-24-19, 04:47 PM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Okay Carleton. Thank you for your input.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-25-19, 01:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Quoted: 5383 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 69 Posts
OK sorry for referring to stuff I didn't know about. I still see a closed-mindedness to carleton's suggestions, an attitude of denial. One of the most annoying administrative responses is, "We've never heard that complaint before" as if that means it must not be a problem. The problem with this response is that you'll never believe a complaint the first time you hear it.

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-25-19, 04:35 PM
IBobi
Administrator

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What we try to do is determine if it's widespread. Generally if only one person is reporting something, unless that thing is a very seldom-used feature, it means the issue is on the user's side (browser).

Some of what Carleton mentioned is (or was, before we had a chance to fix it) an issue. We do not ignore issues. We try to reproduce them, and if we are unable to, and nobody else is reporting them, there's literally nothing else to be done. We always help members to try to debug their browsers and fix the issue.

The issue with Carleton's posts was that right in the midst of a significant 3-part software upgrade on the site, he constantly brought up issues not related to the update, as well as blanket criticism of how technical issues are handled. Sorry, but while we are in the middle of a software update, we don't need that, and we won't respond to it. We have limited resources, and need to stay on the ball.

With regard to ongoing technical issues, I don't believe there are any we have not acknowledged and responded to. If some things are still glitchy, we're working on them. Or we have made a response that they just work differently now. If there's something specific that's not working, anyone is welcome to mention it in this Support forum, and we'll reply to that too.

Thank you
Likes For IBobi:
Old 04-25-19, 05:11 PM
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by IBRyan View Post
The "Like" feature is now live! Please reply on this thread if you experience any issues!
I tried to peruse the thread for a report....but this feature is not present on the BikeForums Mobile theme of the forum. Intentional? Bug? Tested on mobile theme on Android Kiwi Browser (fork of Chrome IIRC) on Android Pie, also tested on Firefox v66.0.3 64-bit on Linux. There simply is no "like" button present.

I do like the new mobile theme otherwise tho.
Old 04-26-19, 12:12 AM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Did you try using "full site"? on mobile?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-26-19, 05:46 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
If that's the question, then the answer is "no, we didn't put that in the mobile version."

Why not just say that? Why not be precise in your update messaging to make it clear that not all features will be available on mobile? Or, if likes are suddenly so important, why not wait until you get it done in mobile too, since I'm guessing phones must be a decent sized chunk of your traffic, and if they're not, it's probably not a good thing, it's an indictment of your previous or current mobile platforms.

I remember back when I paid for the worst app I've ever purchased and got the BF phone app. It was essentially unusable, and as far as I know was abandoned eventually instead of being fixed.
Old 04-26-19, 09:22 AM
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
The button is there on full site on mobile
Old 04-28-19, 08:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Still fighting the good fight...

This screenshot illustrates what I mean about problems running waaaaay to many 3rd party scripts.

See the message at the top?

I have a fully updated, damn-near server class MacBook Pro (with 16GB of RAM), and Safari (version 12.1) is telling me that this text-only website is too taxing. The only time I have ever seen that message is when I've been watching live streaming video in 1080P...rarely.

This is a problem.
I had a similar problem with Firefox crashing a lot but it was a virus my malware app finally caught, not here.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Likes For Rollfast:
Old 05-01-19, 07:08 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
This has now happened 2/3 times for me.

On mobile, if you tab away while writing a post and then come back, it wipes your comment completely and you have to start over.

Samsung S9, Chrome 73.0.3683.90
Old 05-01-19, 10:57 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Major complaint with new software

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but it's TOO EASY to hit the wrong keys and all of my post is LOST!

It used to be that the post was saved as I typed and if I got blown out of the thread, I could come back in and there was a button at the right hand bottom of the window that said something like "Restore Previous Text".

I have big, clumsy fingers and I've lost several hours of writing since the software has changed.

Maybe there is something I'm missing?

verktyg

Chas. ;-)
Old 05-01-19, 11:35 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1961 Legnano Gran Premio, 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg View Post
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but it's TOO EASY to hit the wrong keys and all of my post is LOST!

It used to be that the post was saved as I typed and if I got blown out of the thread, I could come back in and there was a button at the right hand bottom of the window that said something like "Restore Previous Text".

I have big, clumsy fingers and I've lost several hours of writing since the software has changed.

verktyg
Me too, it's very irritating. It happens mainly when posting photos, and trying to go back to the text area. The auto save used to be a way to get back. Seems to be broken now. Isn't there a better place for "happy" users to comment on software "upgrades"? 😉
Old 05-01-19, 11:59 PM
bwilli88 

Location: Kampong Cham, Cambodia but I have quite a few in Lancaster, PA

Bikes: Bikes in USA; 73 Raleigh Supercourse dingle speed, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix SS, 78 Raleigh Supercourse, 83 Centurion Pro-Tour, 82 Raleigh RRA.

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think if you go to the advanced page, it saves for you.
Old 05-02-19, 07:37 AM
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed View Post
Me too, it's very irritating. It happens mainly when posting photos, and trying to go back to the text area. The auto save used to be a way to get back. Seems to be broken now. Isn't there a better place for "happy" users to comment on software "upgrades"? 😉
This. Also, don't go assuming you can just go back & edit any small errors. The text gets lost, because the photo looks gigantic, when you hit the edit page.
And don't tell us where to complain "properly", lol. 😉
Old 05-02-19, 08:37 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Moving this thread of Major Complaint with New Software under Forum Suggestions and User Assistance and the Software Update thread. This is so the right people are aware of all the issues and can address them.
Old 05-03-19, 06:07 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth

Proper place to bring up an issue

Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
Moving this thread of Major Complaint with New Software under Forum Suggestions and User Assistance and the Software Update thread. This is so the right people are aware of all the issues and can address them.
I posted muy message in the C&V forum for 2 reasons:

1. To get a moderator's attention concerning a problem. I was not able to find a link to send a message to "the moderators".

2. So that other members with the same problem could chime in and let the moderators know that there is a problem. I imagine that most forum members aren't aware of the "Forum Suggestions and User Assistance and the Software Update thread". I certainly wasn't.

I learned binary at age 7 in 1951 and I had backdoor access to CMU's IBM 360 mainframe in the late 60's so I'm not a digital newbie.

Accidentally hitting the wrong keys blows me out of the message and all of my work is gone! It happened to me last night and the night before.

Regards

Chas. "verktyg"

Chas. ;-)
Old 05-03-19, 07:30 AM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

verktyg
Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
This has now happened 2/3 times for me.

On mobile, if you tab away while writing a post and then come back, it wipes your comment completely and you have to start over.

Samsung S9, Chrome 73.0.3683.90
I posted muy message in the C&V forum for 2 reasons:

1. To get a moderator's attention concerning a problem. I was not able to find a link to send a message to "the moderators".

2. So that other members with the same problem could chime in and let the moderators know that there is a problem. I imagine that most forum members aren't aware of the "Forum Suggestions and User Assistance and the Software Update thread". I certainly wasn't.

I learned binary at age 7 in 1951 and I had backdoor access to CMU's IBM 360 mainframe in the late 60's so I'm not a digital newbie.

Accidentally hitting the wrong keys blows me out of the message and all of my work is gone! It happened to me last night and the night before.

Regards

Chas. "verktyg"
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post
This. Also, don't go assuming you can just go back & edit any small errors. The text gets lost, because the photo looks gigantic, when you hit the edit page.
And don't tell us where to complain "properly", lol. 😉
Originally Posted by Slightspeed View Post
I will check into this with tech and see what is happening and give an update.

@verktyg if you post something in the wrong place, a moderator will move it to the correct place. Rest assured, our mod team sees everything and is extremely diligent. Other members can chime in here instead of on a thread that has no relevance with a tech issue that someone is experiencing. It is just like the other threads-- you find the thread you are looking for and post in there.
Old 05-05-19, 09:26 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

I will check into this with tech and see what is happening and give an update.

@verktyg if you post something in the wrong place, a moderator will move it to the correct place. Rest assured, our mod team sees everything and is extremely diligent. Other members can chime in here instead of on a thread that has no relevance with a tech issue that someone is experiencing. It is just like the other threads-- you find the thread you are looking for and post in there.
Problem with "LOST" entries fixed.

THANK YOU!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)
Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-06-19, 05:34 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

@verktyg You do realize that you can report yourself and you aren't going to ban yourself...right? Might be faster than a PM.

We all do things like that now and then, as long as it's not as embarrassing as putting foot itch creme on a wound instead of triple antibiotic (yes, I actually did and the person waiting for me wasn't happy)....

Old 05-12-19, 06:25 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

BTW Ya know that when I click under my avatar for Likes etc they don't show MY likes or even my posts?

It's like I push the diet Dr. Pepper button and get tea.

Old 05-13-19, 10:00 AM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
BTW Ya know that when I click under my avatar for Likes etc they don't show MY likes or even my posts?

It's like I push the diet Dr. Pepper button and get tea.
that is interesting because I just did it and it linked me to your posts and the posts you liked?
Old 05-13-19, 10:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
that is interesting because I just did it and it linked me to your posts and the posts you liked?
But what happens when you click the links under your own picture? I think that's what he's saying is the problem.

Edit: That's not a problem for me either.
Old 05-13-19, 11:08 AM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Originally Posted by himespau View Post
But what happens when you click the links under your own picture? I think that's what he's saying is the problem.

Edit: That's not a problem for me either.
When I click the likes links under my own picture, it links me to my posts or to the posts I have liked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.