Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Occasional ride log and other cringey babbling

Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Occasional ride log and other cringey babbling

Old 04-22-19, 11:17 PM
Phamilton
Gone

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
And the saddle is too high in that pic, about 1/2Ē.
Old 04-23-19, 09:31 AM
Phamilton
Gone

My dead grandpa, my dad's dad - he played guitar. He had a pre-war Martin acoustic something or other, a D-15 or D-18 or something like that. He had it as early as I remember. When I told him I had decided to play drums, he asked me why I want to bang around like an Indian. They had this piano in their house that they bought for my aunt, the trailer lady, when she was younger, and she was going to take lessons and never did, never learned how to play it. When I was 5, I started figuring out how to play chords and stuff so they enrolled me in lessons for a year. I guess my dad was supposed to start paying for the lessons after that but didn't or couldn't so I stopped going. My dad played alto sax in high school. He still had his sax when I was in sixth grade and I had taught myself to play it and wanted to play it in the school band. My school best friend was also playing alto sax. I was pretty good, I taught myself scales and how to play tequila. The band director already had like 9 alto saxes and one drummer and I never saw myself as a drummer but he said that was all he needed so I played drums. I wanted to be in the band.
When my grandpa died, my aunt got the house and the Martin went to her son, who doesn't play guitar.
My dad's brother got into biking back in the late 80's, I remember he had a blue Cannondale with 14 gears and said it weighed 22 pounds. I could lift it with one finger. He rode that thing everywhere. I haven't seen him since before I started riding as an adult. He might still have the bike. In hindsight, I'm curious about the bike. He's 5'5", would have had to be a pretty small frame.
Old 04-23-19, 09:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 3039 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 101 Posts
in my early teens, when I grew my hair long, my Grandfather would ask me:" what do you want to be? a musician?" (hope you don't mind that I added a comment)
Old 04-23-19, 09:39 AM
Phamilton
Gone

I picked up the guitar in 7th grade, I had another friend who played guitar and my grandpa didn't seem very pleased with my choice of instrument so I saved up $30 and bought this 3/4 size acoustic and a chord book and a couple guitar magazines and taught myself to play. My grandpa was never very impressed with my playing and never wanted to play guitar together. I was actually pretty good. I kept playing all through high school and beyond, played guitar in the band at another church for several years, did some session work for some friends in the studio and recorded a few demos of my own. But I never identified really as a guitarist, I have no passion for it. It's such a cool instrument and so hard to play well.
Old 04-23-19, 09:48 AM
Phamilton
Gone

Yesterday, I was getting ready to leave work on my bike and I saw a guy pull up in a car and walk over the pond. He was about my age, about my size, long hair and a beard. He said "My kids found this turtle and I brought it to put it in the pond".
Turns out he was another guy I went to elementary school with who went to my grandpa and grandma's church, his parents live across from the youth center where big angry Navigator guy parks, they were in charge of that particular youth group back in the day. I was part of that youth group too.
I told him I had long hair like his until I quit driving a couple years ago and started riding my bike everywhere. He didn't seem too eager to talk about high school or church or anything and I sure wasn't either. He has a younger brother that I ran into last year in town while I was on my bike. He also had long hair and a beard and was on bikes with his kids, said they were visiting grandpa and grandma in town but lived in the city close to where I do and that he and his kids ride bikes all the time.

Here's me before I started bike commuting.

This is me right after I cut my hair:

Likes For Phamilton:
Old 04-23-19, 09:52 AM
Phamilton
Gone

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
in my early teens, when I grew my hair long, my Grandfather would ask me:" what do you want to be? a musician?" (hope you don't mind that I added a comment)
No, I don't mind, it's fine. I think I'm just word vomiting. I don't expect that many will read or comment but it's OK. Thanks, actually.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 04-23-19, 09:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 3039 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton View Post
This is me right after I cut my hair:
wutz the matter? you don't like music?
Old 04-23-19, 09:59 AM
Phamilton
Gone

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
wutz the matter? you don't like music?
Naw, I love music. I cut it because it was hard to keep up with when I started bike commuting. I miss my long hair.
Old 04-23-19, 10:05 AM
Phamilton
Gone

I've never worn a helment (spelling intentional). I've taken to wearing a ball cap while I ride though. In hindsight, it would have been pretty easy to tuck my pony tail up inside the hat while riding or put it up in a high bun. I did that for a while, the "man bun". I am glad that trend has passed.
Old 04-23-19, 10:13 AM
Phamilton
Gone

This is me today

Old 04-23-19, 10:14 AM
Phamilton
Gone

I just wanna punch that smug face
Old 04-23-19, 10:32 AM
Phamilton
Gone

This is me and my brothers at my dad's parents' house when I was about 6 I guess, I'm on the right with the smug look and missing teeth. I think this was right before we moved in with them after dad and mom divorced.

Old 04-23-19, 10:33 AM
Phamilton
Gone

I haven't seen my youngest brother in a year or two. Yesterday morning on my ride to work, while I was riding past the trailer park, I passed a guy that looked just like him walking a tiny dog. I guess he turned 32 in January. That means I'll be 38 this fall.
Old 04-23-19, 10:48 AM
Phamilton
Gone

When I was about 4, before my youngest brother was born, my dad and mom and I and my middle brother who was a baby, we lived in this trailer out in the country on a gravel road. We were renting from some farmers who lived next door. They had a daughter my age and I was in love with her. She had the biggest brownest eyes I had ever seen. My dad taught me how to ride a bike there. I fell and scraped myself up on the gravel so many times but the freedom I felt as a 4 year old riding up and down that gravel road to go see my friends and eat mulberries off the bush by the bridge till we got sick was amazing. The neighbor's daughter went to kindergarten with me, too. As of a couple years ago she was waitressing at the restaurant here in town where I sometimes go to have lunch, but I hadn't seen her since elementary school and haven't seen her since.
My boss that I went to kindergarten with, a few years back his parents built a house right across the road from that old trailer where I learned how to ride a bike and fell in love.
We had some mutt dog named Snapper and it got rabies somehow and I remember the landlord coming over with a rifle and yelled at me to go in the house and I heard the gun go off and then we didn't have a dog anymore.
His cows got out of the pasture one day and we were eating in the kitchen of that trailer and a cow came up to to the window and looked in.
Old 04-23-19, 11:06 AM
Phamilton
Gone

The restaurant is located in the building that used to be home to the town grocery store that closed when the Meijer opened up down the road.
Itís right behind the trailer court.
Old 04-23-19, 11:08 AM
Phamilton
Gone

Thereís a waitress that works there who both of my younger brothers dated when we lived in the trailer park as kids.
Old 04-23-19, 11:15 AM
Phamilton
Gone

The other day I watched this interview, Sammy Hagar was interviewing John Mellencamp. The cougar is from Indiana and lives in Bloomington. He has a reputation for being ďunfriendlyĒ. Iíd never seen him speak before. I wouldnít say heís unfriendly. He just takes himself seriously as an artist. Sammy Hagar is an idiot. I would have been done with the interview after about 10 minutes. Iíve never been a big Mellencamp fan. His music is iconic. I didnít really even dig his stuff till I played drums in this one band and we covered one of his songs, maybe it was small town. I really like that song of his about the walls tumbling down. That song is on fire.
Old 04-23-19, 11:50 AM
Phamilton
Gone

I remember reading about Kenny Aronoff, John Mellencamp's drummer, when I was a kid in Modern Drummer magazine. I thought he looked old. I wasn't very impressed. I watched some youtube videos of his playing just within the last couple years. The guy is a monster.
Old 04-23-19, 04:53 PM
Phamilton
Gone

Iím really liking this new to me bike, the Voyageur. Sometimes if itís not too windy, I forget itís there and that Iím riding it. Thatís a nice feeling. And when the winds get above about 15-20 mph, it doesnít change character, itís just slower. I think it might make a better rider out of me over time.

The Voyageur, today, behind the restaurant behind the trailer court in the town where I was born and raised and left and came back and left and came back again and left and now work in. If I keep the bike, I might name it.
Old 04-23-19, 04:56 PM
Phamilton
Gone

And realized today some discomfort in the bars on my ride home from work. I donít think I care for the cables running around the front side of the bar, I might try something else, or maybe the bar is a little narrow or maybe both.
Old 04-23-19, 04:58 PM
Phamilton
Gone

I think it would look cool dressed up with velo orange stuff. Orange is also my favorite color.
Old 04-23-19, 05:04 PM
Phamilton
Gone

I gotta say, though, sometimes thereís no punishment quite as satisfying as a gusty windy ride home after a bad day at work and forgetting to fill your water bottle before you left on an empty stomach.
Old 04-23-19, 05:10 PM
Phamilton
Gone

The pond is kind of a fixture in my life right now. I love it, but I have to go to work to see it.

Old 04-23-19, 05:12 PM
Phamilton
Gone

That was last spring I guess. A pair nested there last year and the year before but I donít think this year, at least so far.
Old 04-23-19, 09:43 PM
Phamilton
Gone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.