Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Occasional ride log and other cringey babbling

Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Occasional ride log and other cringey babbling

Old 04-23-19, 09:44 PM
Phamilton
Gone

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Poppa, momma, and baby bear bikes. We rode to the pet store to get guinea pig supplies this evening.
Old 04-23-19, 09:49 PM
Phamilton
Gone

I ordered a stem for my wifeís bike last weekend and itís supposed to be here Thursday. The frame is a good size but the lady who owned it before was about 6Ē taller than my wife and had installed an aftermarket 110mm stem at some point,
the new one is a 60. I hope itís an improvement for her. She doesnít do a ton of riding but I want her to be able to enjoy it. Riding a bike with too long a reach is kind of a drag.
Old 04-24-19, 12:43 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 44 Posts
I enjoy cringey babbling. Keep it up.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 04-24-19, 02:42 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton View Post
I put over 4,000 miles on that Raleigh commuting. It’s still in my garage. The rear wheel is dying. I broke one spoke and then two more trying and failing to take the freewheel off to replace the broken spoke.
I feel like I got my money’s worth out of it. The frame is the right size but something about how it rides is off. I think the forks might be bent or the headset needs replaced or both. It’s a pretty light frame for what it is. And the left crank arm pedal threads are stripped. And the chainrings are bent. Etc etc etc.
Headsets can go out of adjustment surprisingly fast, they need to be checked regularly. And that banging around, water, dirt and grime take a toll, and cause them to get stiff and notchy in what seems like no time. I would take off the front wheel and check it. Fork does not look bent from the pics.

I used to consider headsets an fairly unimportant component, which I guess they are in a way, but there is no way you are gonna be able to ride no-handed on a bike with a bad headset. Definitely check it, and don't hesitate to replace a bad one, I bought a $20 Tange Levin last week, slapped it on, and wondered why I had put off replacing such a cheap thing for so many years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tange-L...sAAOSwGDNcl56a
Old 04-24-19, 07:07 AM
Phamilton
Gone

I donít mind changing my mind about things. Or people. But itís easier to not make up your mind in the first place.
Old 04-24-19, 09:03 AM
Phamilton
Gone

@Lemond1985 Iíve overhauled a few but never replaced one. The one on that Raleigh Iíve overhauled a couple times and itís still a little notchy, I think I even put new ball bearings in it last time. Iím sure itís the original one and Iím pretty sure it just needs replaced.
Old 04-24-19, 10:50 AM
Phamilton
Gone

Various pond pics and critters I've photographed at work.
Old 04-24-19, 10:51 AM
Phamilton
Gone

All winter long I was planning to take my bike out on the frozen pond with my studded tires but never did it. I'm not sure I missed much.
Old 04-24-19, 11:07 AM
Phamilton
Gone

Various pics taken while commuting over the last couple years, in no particular order.
Old 04-24-19, 11:26 AM
Phamilton
Gone

I have no training or aspiration to be a photographer but I like to take pictures. I've been thinking about getting a cheap used DSLR and a handlebar bag to put it in and taking lots of pics on some of my non-commuting rides.
Old 04-24-19, 11:29 AM
Phamilton
Gone

Photography is about like playing guitar for me. And riding a bike, too, I guess. It's hard to do any of them really well, I don't have a passion for any of them but I find it very satisfying to do a mediocre job at all 3.
Old 04-24-19, 11:45 AM
Phamilton
Gone

Oh and being employed at a job, too.
Old 04-24-19, 11:48 AM
Phamilton
Gone

Random critters
Old 04-24-19, 11:51 AM
Phamilton
Gone

More random commute pics, except the one on top I must have been in a car, see reflection of cup in cupholder or something in lower right corner.

Last edited by Phamilton; 04-24-19 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-24-19, 12:04 PM
Phamilton
Gone

Randoms:

My mustache
Our cat who we re-homed with a friend
A cat that visited our backyard
My bum leg
Sunset pics from in town rides
Old 04-24-19, 04:21 PM
Phamilton
Gone

I had what they called lymphedema in my left leg for a few months after the tumor was removed. The doctors prescribed these cotton bandages, they were $20/pc and I had to buy 6 of them, it took 3 to wrap it and I needed two sets. I donít remember why I had to pay out of pocket for them. I had an older cousin who got breast cancer and after the mastectomy got lymphedema in her arm that never went away. I told the docs that it seemed like the wraps were causing or exacerbating the swelling but they advised me to stay my course because it would only get worse if I didnít keep it wrapped. I took them off and the swelling went down after about 3 weeks and I didnít need the crutches to walk anymore. I have no idea how long it was until I rode a bike. I think they nicked a lymph node during the surgery, and also a nerve. I didnít have any feeling on the inside of my leg for close to a year. It still feels weird 6 years later, pins and needles occasionally.
Old 04-24-19, 04:35 PM
Phamilton
Gone

It started when I started noticing some range of movement issues in my left leg, I couldnít cross it over the right one. And there was this sort of knot just above my knee on the inside of my leg.
I first went to the chiropractor and he gave me some exercises to do. The knot was really sort of slowly getting bigger, and the exercises werenít making for any improvements. I took my concerns to my family doctor. He said thatís a collapsed muscle, your adductor is torn at the top, nothing to worry about, not cancer or anything like that, scheduled me for an MRI, went to the MRI and they called me back in to the office to say theyíre pretty sure itís cancer, a weird rare one called Myxoid Liposarcoma. A biopsy confirmed and a surgery was scheduled to remove it. They said that due to the size and location and everything that they ďmay not be able to save my legĒ but excising the tumor is the first step. It was roughly lemon-sized and shaped. Because the family doctor had originally classified it as a sports injury (torn adductor), they sent us the full bill for the surgery and hospital stay and all the MRIs and everything else up to that point, $57,000. The 45 minute surgery was $36k. Insurance eventually got things straightened out.
Old 04-24-19, 04:48 PM
Phamilton
Gone

They had me set up to go to radiation treatment but I couldnít make it work. At the time my wife was attending college full time and we had 3 children in the house. My income was our only source, and money was pretty tight. The only treatment center in network was on the opposite side of town, a 50 minute drive from work, and it was a 3 hour appointment in the middle of the workday, 5 hours total including drive time. I couldnít physically swing the 13-14 hour days to make 8 hours of pay. My boss (the guy my dad hated) was willing to work with me on the hours but it was another $50/wk in gas.
The docs said there was a 40% reduction in chance of metastasis if I went to radiotherapy. I asked what were the chances in the first place? They replied thereís a 40% reduction in the chances of metastasis if I went to radiotherapy.
Old 04-24-19, 07:23 PM
Phamilton
Gone

Anyway, there was a lot more to it and overall was just a terrible experience that I donít like to remember and had an easier time forgetting honestly until I decided to start riding my bike to work.
Old 04-24-19, 07:41 PM
Phamilton
Gone

I donít really have a story or a narrative about it, or about bike commuting or anything really. I just have things Iíve experienced and remembered. I canít decide if I think bike commuting is a good idea or not. There are times I agree with how anybody feels about it. I donít enjoy doing it every day, but on days I donít enjoy it I seem to appreciate it - meaning I am not optimistic by nature, it requires great effort, being optimistic, that is - and there is so much about bike commuting that can inspire all sorts of pessimism and skepticism (the weather, the abuse, the stress, advocacy and safety, to name just a few) but spending that time on my bike always seems to inspire me to want to make other good decisions about my life. It gives me time to actually give my life some time for serious contemplation. But itís a benefit that I didnít and couldnít have realized until I slowed down and stopped caring about my average speed.
Old 04-24-19, 07:53 PM
Phamilton
Gone

The facts are that I work a job my estranged dad did for a living. I do it in my hometown, which I hate. I do it for my kindergarten classmate, who drives brand new cars and takes 10 trips to Florida yearly while I ride my bike past the trailer court of broken dreams to keep his shop running while heís away and I and my coworkers watch our numbers dwindle along with the incoming work. I even let it slide that I havenít had enough work to get a paycheck big enough to pay for a haircut (which now Iím not so sure Iím going to do now, thank you very much) since 2018. I must really really enjoy the time I spend on my bike.
Old 04-24-19, 07:59 PM
Phamilton
Gone

There are days riding my bike to work feels like the best decision I ever made and some days it feels like the worst. I seem to try harder to remember the good ones.
Old 04-24-19, 08:10 PM
Phamilton
Gone

When I have better days, I see lots of cool opportunities in my situation.
Old 04-25-19, 06:11 AM
Phamilton
Gone

But they're saying they're praying about it a lot, every day.
Old 04-25-19, 10:03 AM
Phamilton
Gone

I just read a thread about a fellow BF member who passed from cancer a year ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.