Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How long do I have to rest in Training Days?

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How long do I have to rest in Training Days?

Old 05-09-19, 04:50 AM
  #1  
SuperPershing
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SuperPershing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long do I have to rest in Training Days?

How long do i have to rest in Training Days? Currently my training route is basically Train on Monday then rest on Tuesday, Then train on Wednesday then rest on Thursday. Basically my training and resting is on every other day.

My training routine is 50km laps on a 30-45 kph maintaining speed. And when it will take a 10km route to go to my training grounds and 10km again when going home and usually the whole day total mileage is 70km and sometimes it gets to 90-100 km a per training day.

My questions is, is every other day a good resting periods? or am i over training and exhausting my body? How long should i rest? Tia!
SuperPershing is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 08:41 AM
  #2  
Hondo Gravel
Voted For Pedro
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 1,044

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 67 Posts
Age? Years of experience? Goals? I got 111 miles in 3 consecutive days and feel ok. I started back every other day after a 5 month layoff that worked great until fitness returned. This all depends on many variables.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 09:48 AM
  #3  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,190
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
You are probably not overtraining, but you might be stagnating if youre doing similar workouts every other day.
redlude97 is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 12:22 AM
  #4  
SuperPershing
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SuperPershing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Age? Years of experience? Goals? I got 111 miles in 3 consecutive days and feel ok. I started back every other day after a 5 month layoff that worked great until fitness returned. This all depends on many variables.
18 yrs, 3 years of fixed gear biking and no exp of racing, Crits
SuperPershing is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 12:27 AM
  #5  
SuperPershing
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SuperPershing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
You are probably not overtraining, but you might be stagnating if youre doing similar workouts every other day.
Then what kind of training should i do?
SuperPershing is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 08:26 AM
  #6  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,353

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperPershing View Post
18 yrs, 3 years of fixed gear biking and no exp of racing, Crits
IMO, the good news is that you have been riding fixed that probably means your ability to accelerate a big gear is solid or to say it a more technical way your neuromuscular capability is good. To race crits, you need to add the ability to accelerate over and over again as you race around the course. So that style of training is something like 30seconds on 30 seconds off for 10 minutes, rest 5 minutes do it again.

The other area to work on is VO2 Max. These are 3 to 5 minute efforts as hard are you can pedal for that time period biased with the idea that you will to 4 to 8 repetitions.

Then there is sprinting at the end of the race that requires maximum 10 to 15 second effort standing while in the drops pedaling as hard as possible.

To race in a group, you need pack skills that can only be obtained by riding with others of similar ability at race pace. It is always a good idea to take a skills course before you start racing.

Go to the racing forum at BF and look over the stickies where there are more tips how to train to race. Read over the training status section and see what other racers are doing.

Last edited by Hermes; 05-11-19 at 08:29 AM.
Hermes is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 10:19 PM
  #7  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 6,755

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3600 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 123 Posts
I personally think that resting every other day is too much resting. But then again, I don't train to race, because I never plan to race. No desire whatsoever. You know what's good? Variety.

Seems to be working for me.

__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 12:02 AM
  #8  
SuperPershing
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SuperPershing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
IMO, the good news is that you have been riding fixed that probably means your ability to accelerate a big gear is solid or to say it a more technical way your neuromuscular capability is good. To race crits, you need to add the ability to accelerate over and over again as you race around the course. So that style of training is something like 30seconds on 30 seconds off for 10 minutes, rest 5 minutes do it again.

The other area to work on is VO2 Max. These are 3 to 5 minute efforts as hard are you can pedal for that time period biased with the idea that you will to 4 to 8 repetitions.

Then there is sprinting at the end of the race that requires maximum 10 to 15 second effort standing while in the drops pedaling as hard as possible.

To race in a group, you need pack skills that can only be obtained by riding with others of similar ability at race pace. It is always a good idea to take a skills course before you start racing.

Go to the racing forum at BF and look over the stickies where there are more tips how to train to race. Read over the training status section and see what other racers are doing.
wow. This looks hard. And yeah every 1.5km, we have a turn so there is always a launch control. and my gear is 48x15.
SuperPershing is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 12:08 AM
  #9  
SuperPershing
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SuperPershing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Yeah like that on the blue marker. that whole loop is approx 3km
SuperPershing is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 12:11 AM
  #10  
SuperPershing
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SuperPershing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
IMO, the good news is that you have been riding fixed that probably means your ability to accelerate a big gear is solid or to say it a more technical way your neuromuscular capability is good. To race crits, you need to add the ability to accelerate over and over again as you race around the course. So that style of training is something like 30seconds on 30 seconds off for 10 minutes, rest 5 minutes do it again.

The other area to work on is VO2 Max. These are 3 to 5 minute efforts as hard are you can pedal for that time period biased with the idea that you will to 4 to 8 repetitions.

Then there is sprinting at the end of the race that requires maximum 10 to 15 second effort standing while in the drops pedaling as hard as possible.

To race in a group, you need pack skills that can only be obtained by riding with others of similar ability at race pace. It is always a good idea to take a skills course before you start racing.

Go to the racing forum at BF and look over the stickies where there are more tips how to train to race. Read over the training status section and see what other racers are doing.
and also, im having troubles in a peleton or groups cause most riders that i ride with are roadies, it could be either they discriminate me that i am a fixed gear rider or tires are almost in collision course due to sudden braking.
SuperPershing is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 07:46 AM
  #11  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,353

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperPershing View Post
and also, im having troubles in a peleton or groups cause most riders that i ride with are roadies, it could be either they discriminate me that i am a fixed gear rider or tires are almost in collision course due to sudden braking.
A solution to the braking problem is to add a front brake to your fixie. I suspect you are very good at stopping the bike using the rear wheel but against other riders with two wheel stopping power, it is not enough.
Hermes is offline  
Old 05-14-19, 10:47 AM
  #12  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 14,969

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 30 Posts
I led a winter ride series with a mixed group of geared, SS, and fixed bikes. All the bikes had brakes. I chose to ride SS on a geared bike. The rides went OK, but they weren't easy rides. In my case, we were all long-time friends so were willing to make allowances. Like waiting for the fixed riders to walk the 15% hills where the SS riders could cheat. Like not making the non-geared bikes pull at 24, though they had to be able to pedal 24 in the line. We had a Cat 2 come out with us on 60 mile rides. He'd quit and cut it short at about 35, plus occasionally screaming about "can we slow down a bit?"

Basically, if you want to compete with geared bikes and get their training effect, you have to ride geared. If you insist on riding fixed on other than solo rides, you aren't doing yourself or anyone else a favor. Personally, I wouldn't let you ride with us on our mixed rides for safety reasons. The only way to ride fixed safely in a line is to always have a positive pedal pressure and modulate speed with the front brake.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 02:12 AM
  #13  
SuperPershing
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SuperPershing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
A solution to the braking problem is to add a front brake to your fixie. I suspect you are very good at stopping the bike using the rear wheel but against other riders with two wheel stopping power, it is not enough.
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I led a winter ride series with a mixed group of geared, SS, and fixed bikes. All the bikes had brakes. I chose to ride SS on a geared bike. The rides went OK, but they weren't easy rides. In my case, we were all long-time friends so were willing to make allowances. Like waiting for the fixed riders to walk the 15% hills where the SS riders could cheat. Like not making the non-geared bikes pull at 24, though they had to be able to pedal 24 in the line. We had a Cat 2 come out with us on 60 mile rides. He'd quit and cut it short at about 35, plus occasionally screaming about "can we slow down a bit?"

Basically, if you want to compete with geared bikes and get their training effect, you have to ride geared. If you insist on riding fixed on other than solo rides, you aren't doing yourself or anyone else a favor. Personally, I wouldn't let you ride with us on our mixed rides for safety reasons. The only way to ride fixed safely in a line is to always have a positive pedal pressure and modulate speed with the front brake.
Sadly, My Cinelli has no Brake hole. Both rear and Front
SuperPershing is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 02:32 PM
  #14  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 14,969

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperPershing View Post
Sadly, My Cinelli has no Brake hole. Both rear and Front
Totally hip, but we had one of these bike/rider combos wind up under a cement truck. Around here rider deaths are more usually car runs light hits commuter. This was just a truck turning left. Nice track bike though.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 05-17-19, 01:49 PM
  #15  
SuperPershing
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SuperPershing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Totally hip, but we had one of these bike/rider combos wind up under a cement truck. Around here rider deaths are more usually car runs light hits commuter. This was just a truck turning left. Nice track bike though.
Damn son. May God bless him. And thanka!
SuperPershing is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vintagerando
Classic and Vintage Sales
4
04-08-19 11:14 PM
Seattle Forrest
Pacific Northwest
0
08-27-16 08:43 AM
CMcMahon
BMX
2
03-01-06 08:44 AM
jrsachs
Road Cycling
0
09-08-04 11:04 AM
Smoothie104
Road Cycling
2
06-07-04 10:47 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.