Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mirrors

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mirrors

Old 05-28-19, 10:56 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6830 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 175 Posts
On your helmet perhaps?
Old 05-30-19, 11:24 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 2016 Giant Liv Rove Lite, 2004 Giant OCR1, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp (frame)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Just ordered this for my Pretty Purple Princess Penelope (aka '92 Rockhopper w/north road bars). It's in keeping with the Velo Orange look I'm going for; let's see how it works as a mirror.

Old 05-30-19, 11:42 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 43 Posts
Big fan of helmet mirrors but not of the attachments so I make my own. A simple fiberglass piece, formed with a shape that the mirror clamps securely to. At its top, it is formed to fit the inside of my helmet visor. Drill two small holes and use nice SS screws. Outlasts several helmets. Near perfect, both for view and no-hassle. I take the visor off to clean the helmet anyways, so that is also easy. I make the mounts to fit the clamp on Third Eye Round Helmet Mirror.

Ben
Old 06-03-19, 04:06 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I ride in constant traffic. Either passing or getting passed constantly. A mirror would simply be a distraction but maybe you're conditions are different.
If I have parked cars on both sides of the street and two way traffic in addition, I don't have anytime for a rearward mirror.
That is the situation where they're most useful.

You know *exactly* where cars are, where the gaps are so you can set up better transitions, who's setting up to pass and turn in front of you (goodbye hooks), who's about to mess with you for sport, who doesn't see you at all, and who has stuff sticking out the sides (trailers, construction stuff, etc) and isn't thinking about that when considering their width, and who's giving you extra space so you can fit somewhere you need to be.

Ignore all that stuff, and you're relying on luck for your safety.
Likes For banerjek:
Old 06-04-19, 03:21 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek View Post
That is the situation where they're most useful.

You know *exactly* where cars are, where the gaps are so you can set up better transitions, who's setting up to pass and turn in front of you (goodbye hooks), who's about to mess with you for sport, who doesn't see you at all, and who has stuff sticking out the sides (trailers, construction stuff, etc) and isn't thinking about that when considering their width, and who's giving you extra space so you can fit somewhere you need to be.

Ignore all that stuff, and you're relying on luck for your safety.
Dude, sorry, but where I ride the cars are packed and mirrors are useless.

This is an example.

Maybe it's different for you but a mirror is nothing but an unwanted distraction for me.

This is old video and traffic is much worse now.
Likes For acidfast7: