Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Traveling with my bike or buy/sell

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 11:33 AM
achanez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all - New to the forum, and hope I found the right category for this post.

I have been casually riding for about 10 years, but only recently for exercise. Before, it was just cruising around or getting from A to B. I signed up for Seattle to Portland, and shortly after, we found out my wife is pregnant, and decided we wanted to move to be closer to family before she gets into the third trimester. This means we are moving one month before STP.

I currently ride a ~2007 Specialized Allez Elite. With the big move, baby on the way, looking for a new job, etc., I am trying to make this ride as hassle free as possible. Currently, my plan is to leave my bike with my riding partner, try to buy a used bike of similar fit in California to train on for the month leading up to the ride, bring my Allez Elite back to CA with me after STP, and sell the used bike I bought for training. I'll have plenty of free time for my first week in California to find a bike and tune it up, but come race time, I imagine I will be flying out, riding, and flying back. Am I overthinking traveling with a bike, or do does my plan seem viable?

I tried to look into renting a road bike, and it seems like I could buy/sell for much cheaper, even if I were to buy a brand new entry level bike and sell it.

For reference of my mechanical aptitude, I just now started servicing my own bike, after spending more than I could afford at bike shops. Basic maintenance like derailleur adjustments, bottom bracket replacement, wheel and tire changes, etc.

Thanks in advanced!
Old 06-05-19, 11:42 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I assume you have a moving truck for all the other crap. Why not just add the bike?

I'm no racer, but think one would want to train with the exact bike one is racing. Same fit. Gearing etc.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 06-05-19, 11:47 AM
achanez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not so much moving it down that is an issue, because I will eventually bring it down after the race, regardless. It is really the transport back up from California with the bike and having to worry about assembling it, any issues in transport, etc. I've only done one other organized ride, but it was local, so my experience both in organized rides and traveling with a bike are limited.
Old 06-05-19, 12:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Overthinking/worrying. What assembly issues? You wrote that you can tune up a bike. The GF and I flew to Italy with boxed bikes. I "re-assembled" them with a multi tool. Same during the four Cycle Oregons I have done.

And as noted, you want to train on the bike you will be riding in STP.
Old 06-05-19, 02:40 PM
achanez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Overthinking/worrying. What assembly issues? You wrote that you can tune up a bike. The GF and I flew to Italy with boxed bikes. I "re-assembled" them with a multi tool. Same during the four Cycle Oregons I have done.

And as noted, you want to train on the bike you will be riding in STP.
Thanks, indy. I guess just getting into bike maintenance, I haven't quite gotten my confidence to know that I'll do fine packing it up/reassembling, but I think you're probably right, there's not much to it as long as I pack it carefully.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 06-05-19, 03:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Aircaddy.com

Great reusable bike box that doesn't cost and arm and a leg. Works much like a car top fork mount bike carrier. Just remove the saddle and seat post together along with the front wheel and put it in the box.

The hardest thing about it is assembly of the box itself. Can be confusing, but is simply tab and slot assembly.
Old 06-05-19, 04:33 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by achanez
It's not so much moving it down that is an issue, because I will eventually bring it down after the race, regardless. It is really the transport back up from California with the bike and having to worry about assembling it, any issues in transport, etc. I've only done one other organized ride, but it was local, so my experience both in organized rides and traveling with a bike are limited.
This sounds like a perfect N+1 moment. Since it sounds like you will only need a new bike for a short time, but need to train for your race, you might be able to use a different kind of bike, i.e., anything that keeps your muscles and lungs in shape will suffice. For this reason, why not buy a different kind of bike, like maybe a hybrid or something that will be convenient for towing the baby in a trailer / tag-along when the time comes.
Old 06-05-19, 04:55 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 409 Posts
I have traveled a lot internationally with a bike. Hunt for a used case on eBay, Craigslist, or put a wanted sign on the bulletin board at your local bike shop. You might even try offering to rent a case. Try to get a bike case which does not look liked a bike case. You will have to pay an oversize bag fee. Most airlines charge a bicycle fee in addition. If they ask me what is in the case, I say "camera equipment." I'm not fooling anyone, but airline check staff think bike fees are as silly as bike riders do. When you are done with your ride, sell the bike case for what you paid for it.
Old 06-06-19, 12:14 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Buying a used bike at a moment's notice isn't too hard. Selling it at a moment's notice is a different story.
Genesis 49:16-17