Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Sterling ( Bilenky)

Old 06-08-19, 08:54 AM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Cannondale ST400, Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sterling ( Bilenky)

Trying to move a couple bikes that just donít get ridden. This is a Sterling touring bike made by Bilenky. The paint is not in great shape. I just donít know how much to ask. I want to move the parts over to another frame. What price would br reasonable for just the frame & for complete? Iím in southern New Jersey.
Thanks

Old 06-08-19, 05:31 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Full disclosure - I’m interested as a buyer, so not objective and won’t throw out a value.

Frames from smaller name builders are highly variable and depend a lot on your marketing skills, your patience, how you’re selling it, your eBay rep, your location and luck. It’s a difficult frame to value, and frames like this are often a better buy for the purchaser.
Old 06-08-19, 06:43 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
And clearly has some rust under paint issues. Ebay is tricky with selling stuff with flaws, as buyers win all complaints, regardless of disclosure. I had one item returned for being "not as described". Ebay approved return without any contact with me. So I called them and asked "what EXACTLY was not as described?" They could not tell me. I resold the item a second time and got glowing feedback.

Worse in many ways are buyers who try to squeeze you for a discount later. "I didn't realize it was THAT bad. I like it, but how about a price break?" Very common ploy/strategy by some buyers. Always best to have them return the item instead.

Cool frame regardless!
Old 06-08-19, 07:00 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
And clearly has some rust under paint issues. Ebay is tricky with selling stuff with flaws, as buyers win all complaints, regardless of disclosure. I had one item returned for being "not as described". Ebay approved return without any contact with me. So I called them and asked "what EXACTLY was not as described?" They could not tell me. I resold the item a second time and got glowing feedback.

Worse in many ways are buyers who try to squeeze you for a discount later. "I didn't realize it was THAT bad. I like it, but how about a price break?" Very common ploy/strategy by some buyers. Always best to have them return the item instead.

Cool frame regardless!
Very cool!

There was an IP issue with the British sterling...the result was he Re-named them Bilenky. He kept the sterling name for tandems longer (Brit sterling didnít make tandems, so no issue). Eventually he went with Bilenky across the board for consistency.
Old 06-09-19, 04:22 PM
gomango 

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
More full disclosure.

I have a Bilenky tourer and I love it.

It's like owning a pack mule!

Now, you might be a little surprised at the low $$$ figure it was purchased for a few years ago.

@op Your's has a load of potential with a potential refinish.

Until that's accomplished, I think $300 for the frame is fine and perhaps $450 complete.

That rust worries me.

Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
Old 06-10-19, 03:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
More full disclosure.

I have a Bilenky tourer and I love it.

It's like owning a pack mule!

Now, you might be a little surprised at the low $$$ figure it was purchased for a few years ago.

@op Your's has a load of potential with a potential refinish.

Until that's accomplished, I think $300 for the frame is fine and perhaps $450 complete.

That rust worries me.
Exactly this, the rust is very worrisome.

Merz used Zinc Chromate dip even before carmakers did and he was in Portland so.....

Never seen one of his or a Schwinn look like that, seems like a no brainer, I guess most aren't playing the long game.
Old 06-10-19, 04:59 PM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Cannondale ST400, Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts & ideas. Thatís the worst of the rust & that pic was taken when I first got the frame. Iíve thought about powder coating it, I just donít know if It makes sense to do that if Iím going to sell it.