Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for guidance on converting to Di2 triple

Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Looking for guidance on converting to Di2 triple

Old 06-08-19, 01:00 PM
  #1  
ahultin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ahultin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bonsall, Ca
Posts: 582

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking for guidance on converting to Di2 triple

I am going to be helping a friend convert his carbon davinci tandem to di2. I have read several of the di2 threads on here and think I have a good direction. The hope is that the di2 will help solve horrible shifting this bike has had since new which would be cheaper than scrapping it altogether. .I have the following parts in my cart and wanted to run it by here to see if we are on the right track. Any help would be appreciated.
Xtr rd-m9050
Xtr rd-m9050
Xtr sc-m9051
Ultegra st-r8050 or st-6870 (bike is caliper brakes but rear is setup to handle disc as well)
Ultegra cn-hg701
CS-hg800 11-34 (hub body is 10spd so has to be 11spd mtn)
Bt dn1101
Sm-btc1 (haven't determined if we can mount internally)
Sm-jc40

Does this look to be the right track?
ahultin is offline  
Old 06-08-19, 01:35 PM
  #2  
Joint Venture
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Youíll probably need the 13-21-29 chainrings (26-42-58 equivalent) with the conical spacers (they act as shift ramps) from da Vinci to make it work if you donít have them already. Todd sells his da Vinci tandems with Di2 and has for a few years now, so a quick call or e-mail to him might be advised in order to save some trial and error like which front derailleur mount to use.

Last edited by Joint Venture; 06-08-19 at 01:40 PM.
Joint Venture is offline  
Old 06-08-19, 07:30 PM
  #3  
ahultin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ahultin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bonsall, Ca
Posts: 582

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, i have sent todd at daVinci a message already. He responded to the first question which was could the carbon frame be modified to internal di2. Waiting for reaponse on any other tips and tricks
ahultin is offline  
Old 06-14-19, 03:03 PM
  #4  
geoffs
Senior Member
 
geoffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 283

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’d be having a think about just having a double chainring instead of a triple. We’ve just come back from nearly 2 months in Italy using a double chainring setup on davinci canes instead of a triple and the shifting was just fantastic. We’re using Sram etap but you could do the same with di2
geoffs is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 01:27 PM
  #5  
DubT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,140

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ahultin View Post
I am going to be helping a friend convert his carbon davinci tandem to di2. I have read several of the di2 threads on here and think I have a good direction. The hope is that the di2 will help solve horrible shifting this bike has had since new which would be cheaper than scrapping it altogether. .I have the following parts in my cart and wanted to run it by here to see if we are on the right track. Any help would be appreciated.
Xtr rd-m9050
Xtr rd-m9050
Xtr sc-m9051
Ultegra st-r8050 or st-6870 (bike is caliper brakes but rear is setup to handle disc as well)
Ultegra cn-hg701
CS-hg800 11-34 (hub body is 10spd so has to be 11spd mtn)
Bt dn1101
Sm-btc1 (haven't determined if we can mount internally)
Sm-jc40

Does this look to be the right track?
You could just get 2 of these and save time and money. https://www.sportcrafters.com/produc...x-kit-mini-pod

I am using it on our tandem 1 X 10 and am EXTREMELY happy with the arrangement.
DubT is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 06:26 PM
  #6  
ahultin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ahultin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bonsall, Ca
Posts: 582

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DubT View Post
You could just get 2 of these and save time and money. https://www.sportcrafters.com/produc...x-kit-mini-pod

I am using it on our tandem 1 X 10 and am EXTREMELY happy with the arrangement.
While that is an intriguing option, I dont think it would save much money. I am right around 1000 so far and that includes going to hydraulic brakes. The take-offs should have a couple hundred in value making it almost even with the 800 the xshifter would run.
ahultin is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 08:00 PM
  #7  
act0fgod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 63

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you wouldn't mind posting your progress and results I'd appreciate it. I'm looking at getting a used da vinci and doing the upgrade to Di2.
act0fgod is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 04:40 PM
  #8  
mtseymour
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 393

Bikes: 2014 Calfee Tetra, 2014 Norco Carbon Sight, 2016 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahultin View Post
I have the following parts in my cart and wanted to run it by here to see if we are on the right track. Any help would be appreciated.
Do you have a custom length of EW-SD50 cable that is long enough to go from the shifters to the rear bottom bracket? Do your bottom bracket shells have openings to allow the cable to thread through? Make sure that your BB won't interfere with the cable. This is part of the reason why I use the Bushnell Lightweight eccentric without the full shell.

Before you modify the frame, test the setup by temporarily mounting the battery externally. If everything works fine, it's not difficult to drill holes at the headtube, rear BB, and R chainstay. I suggest that you talk to Calfee because they modify all brands of carbon frames, and Di2 conversion is one of their services.
mtseymour is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 07:51 PM
  #9  
ahultin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ahultin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bonsall, Ca
Posts: 582

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtseymour View Post
Do you have a custom length of EW-SD50 cable that is long enough to go from the shifters to the rear bottom bracket? Do your bottom bracket shells have openings to allow the cable to thread through? Make sure that your BB won't interfere with the cable. This is part of the reason why I use the Bushnell Lightweight eccentric without the full shell.

Before you modify the frame, test the setup by temporarily mounting the battery externally. If everything works fine, it's not difficult to drill holes at the headtube, rear BB, and R chainstay. I suggest that you talk to Calfee because they modify all brands of carbon frames, and Di2 conversion is one of their services.
I actually had been communicating with todd at davinci and ordered a pinned 28t cog that he said was needed. According to him, because of the aluminium insert in both bottom brackets , most of the wire must go external so i have ordered the sm-btc1 external case for the seatpost battery, this has a six port juntion box. This was all before i found out that this is a calfee built and specced bike with davinci drive and branding. I got in touch with jason at calfee briefly friday so i hope to revisit the internal routing with them. since several of the components were ordered from japan, i have some time lol.
ahultin is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 10:17 PM
  #10  
act0fgod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 63

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahultin View Post
a calfee built and specced bike with davinci drive and branding.
That is the dream tandem.
act0fgod is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 11:22 AM
  #11  
DubT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,140

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ahultin View Post
While that is an intriguing option, I dont think it would save much money. I am right around 1000 so far and that includes going to hydraulic brakes. The take-offs should have a couple hundred in value making it almost even with the 800 the xshifter would run.
Please tell us how you are doing this upgrade for $1,000.
DubT is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 12:24 PM
  #12  
ahultin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ahultin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bonsall, Ca
Posts: 582

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DubT View Post
Please tell us how you are doing this upgrade for $1,000.
Most was purchssed from ebay during the 13% back promotion from last week which resulted in @125 ebay bucks which iwill use to purchase the etube wires
Xtr rd-m9050 289.99 ebay
Xtr fd-m9050 - 69.99 universal cycles clearance from a few months back
Sm-fd905 13.12 ebay
Xt sc-mt800 84.99 ebay
Ultegra st-r785/brs785 245.00 ebay
Ultegra cn-hg701 29.99 local
CS-hg800 11-34 31.66 ebay
Bt dn110 120.11 ebay
Sm-btc1 55.00 ebay
Sm-jc40 19.00 ebaySm-bcr2 89.87 ebay
ahultin is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.