Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Refurbing our Santana Arriva

Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 06-08-19, 07:02 PM
velojym

Bikes: 2000 Kona Jake the Snake, Surly LHT, Montague Paratrooper, Cannondale M500, Santana Arriva, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

We bought this bike from Jim at Richardson Bike Mart, 14 or 15 years ago, and had a great time on it for a while. After a couple moves and family life getting in the way (I have a thread on this in the clyde forum) it's been sitting in the basement, gathering dust.
Gettin' back on the bikes, and going through all our rides. This is now on the short list.

Mechanically, I don't plan to change anything. The bar-ends and gear ranges are fine.
I'll clean/lube everything that doesn't need replacing.

I do plan on working on the 'look' a bit, though. Since it's a 'vintage' steed, I think a retro look would do well, especially given the color.
Honey brown Brooks saddles, matching bar tape, and I'm thinking about using brown cable housings as well. B17 up front, and maybe a 67 in the back, to give my Rear Admiral a little suspension.
As with many tandems, the top tube is a little chipped up, while the rest of the paint is in great shape.
Figured, instead of a repaint, I'd go with some top tube protection. Maybe matching bar tape wrapped around the front and rear tops.
Oh, and replace the black plastic bottle cages with silver or chrome.

We never did go for the newest-lightest-fastest when riding tandem, though we did rip around White Rock Lake at a pretty good clip, and I think this gal can serve for a good while longer, and look good doing it.

Last edited by velojym; 06-08-19 at 07:11 PM.
Likes For velojym:
Old 06-08-19, 07:33 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Motion Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Nice lookin' bike! I say "go for it!"
Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 06-11-19, 05:00 AM
DHPflaumer

Bikes: Norther Klickitat Pass, Soma Grand Randonneur, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
It's beautiful! I'm particularly a fan of purple and green for some reason so I'd probably pick up a pair of green brooks saddles, lime newbaums tape (I don't like padding), and some lime green housing...

On a related note: I like wrapping a roll of bar tape around the top tube of my bikes rather than using a sew on or velcro top tube protector. It does the same job and provides a good grip/doesn't slip around (my bikes live on the second floor so this is valuable to me). Bonus points for being less bulky and coming in a fun range of colors.
Likes For DHPflaumer:
Old 06-11-19, 05:03 AM
velojym

Bikes: 2000 Kona Jake the Snake, Surly LHT, Montague Paratrooper, Cannondale M500, Santana Arriva, Bridgestone 200

Originally Posted by DHPflaumer View Post
It's beautiful! I'm particularly a fan of purple and green for some reason so I'd probably pick up a pair of green brooks saddles, lime newbaums tape (I don't like padding), and some lime green housing...

On a related note: I like wrapping a roll of bar tape around the top tube of my bikes rather than using a sew on or velcro top tube protector. It does the same job and provides a good grip/doesn't slip around (my bikes live on the second floor so this is valuable to me). Bonus points for being less bulky and coming in a fun range of colors.
I can see that color scheme being very distinctive, all right.
I'd originally looked at some of the lace-on wraps, and figured, for the price, I'd be able to get bar tape cheaper, and well done would be just as effective... and easier to match the handlebars.
My wife likes the honey brown, so we're gonna head in that direction. Purple and green makes her think of the Joker.
Old 06-11-19, 05:05 AM
DHPflaumer

Originally Posted by velojym View Post
Purple and green makes her think of the Joker.
OH NO now I'll never unthink that! Hard to go wrong with a classic anyway! To be fair, the bike I have that color scheme on is a MUCH darker purple...
Old 06-11-19, 05:08 AM
velojym

Originally Posted by DHPflaumer View Post
OH NO now I'll never unthink that! Hard to go wrong with a classic anyway! To be fair, the bike I have that color scheme on is a MUCH darker purple...
Do you have a pic of that one? I'd love to see it.
Old 06-11-19, 05:13 AM
DHPflaumer

Do you have a pic of that one? I'd love to see it.
I think this is the best I've got and it doesn't show the color particularly well. I also hadn't gotten around to swapping out the cables. It's been sitting in my basement for like two years now while I worked on other projects... The second photo is a slightly better idea of the actual color, but only slightly...
Old 06-11-19, 05:33 AM
velojym

Nice. The skinwall tires look good on the classics, too. I have another set of Pasela TGs for the tandem, as these are a little brittle with age. I don't think I've ridden more than a few yards without hoods on the brake levers. Are they comfy enough without?

I'd thought about the apple green saddle and bar tape on my Kona, which I think would really set it off, but the current setup will do for a while. I have a lot of miles on that saddle, and it's comfy for me.

Last edited by velojym; 06-11-19 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-11-19, 02:33 PM
oldacura

Bikes: 1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot, 2015 Calfee Tetra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the top tube chips are minor, you can likely get some touch-up paint from Santana. Then, you get some clear bra (3M Scotchcal) from Amazon or the like to protect the paint from future damage. Nice looking vintage bike if you keep the vintage look.
Old 06-11-19, 09:11 PM
velojym

Originally Posted by oldacura View Post
If the top tube chips are minor, you can likely get some touch-up paint from Santana. Then, you get some clear bra (3M Scotchcal) from Amazon or the like to protect the paint from future damage. Nice looking vintage bike if you keep the vintage look.
Sure, I'll check with 'em. It's, I think, an early '90s bike, but it'd sure be nice if I could match the color.
Old 06-12-19, 11:01 AM
DHPflaumer

I don't think I've ridden more than a few yards without hoods on the brake levers. Are they comfy enough without?
I never had a problem with them, but I also rarely rode this bike more than 30 or so miles. I don't think I'd be as comfortable doing something like my current riding without them at all. Maybe I'll grab an extra roll of tape and do a few laps around the posts just to see how it feels...
Old 07-10-19, 08:23 PM
velojym

Looks like it isn't such a 'vintage' look compared to the newer Arriva. Nice to have such a timeless bike.

I'm waiting for some brifters for Jake, currently in NM with the Montague visiting family... also cleaning/fixing up my parents' dimestore tandem that I bought them long before I knew anything about bikes.

As Mom isn't really able to ride anymore, I'm just getting it cleaned up so they can sell it for a few bucks.

Back to my Santana... I am tempted to, once I've put the new brifters on my Kona, further clean up the old 105s and upgrade the tandem to a 9 speed. I believe it's an 8 speed cassette right now, and the XTR mech should, IIRC, handle it just fine. If not, I have another set of bar-end shifters of the 9 speed persuasion that should do nicely. Not a big deal, and probably wouldn't bother if I didn't already have the parts laying around.

Brown saddles... I may not be able to fit two B17s in my budget at the moment, so I may have to find something cheaper that'll work for a while, but the Brooks microfiber bar tape is only about $20, and I already have one set.

Brakes... I've gotten better at adjusting cantis, and think that I won't change the Dia Compes out for the near future. I do have some Kool Stop pads waiting for installation though.

Bearings... I doubt they're worn, but I'll give 'em a good greasing. I may change my mind and replace the balls though, as they aren't that expensive anyway.

Cables/housing... I was thinking about saddle brown or tan for housing, and some nice stainless/teflon inners.

Tires... 700x35 Panaracer Pasela TG for now, as I already have them. I may consider something else later, but the skinwalls will look pretty snazzy with the rest of the bike after the saddle/tape swap.

Stoker... Gotta get her out on the bike some and back up to speed.
Old 07-11-19, 10:07 PM
WPH

Bikes: 2015 Apollo Syncro tandem, 2006 Scott CR1 SL (still a beastie race bike), 1993 Trek T200, 2006 Fuji Absolute Le, 2000 Thorn Club Tour

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is our old girl, also in purple, from 1993.

I love these old steel bikes, though they are heavy. A lot of character and lot of fun.

Love to see pictures of your completed refurb.

W