Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We are all crazy.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We are all crazy.

Old 06-17-19, 09:22 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
We are all crazy.

We want lighter because it saves us seconds on climbs that are higher grades and 10x longer than we ever ride. Why? To be faster in certain, yet rare situations, while at our current level of fitness. Cost... A lot of $$$$

We want more aero to make us faster (while at our current level of fitness), while we ride in groups, draft, and negate the aero all but when we are on the front pulling. Cost... A lot of $$$$ P.S. the most aero position is the one you rarely see anyone riding in.

Meanwhile riding a heavier, less aero bike would technically make us more fit (for the same speed) as we were forced to squeeze out those few extra watts to keep pace with our group rides.

So the only time any of our "upgrades" make sense is if we are riding solo and want to be faster (presumably for strava that almost no one analyzes), or racing.

All that being said, I cant help but want a bike that's lighter and more aero.
Old 06-17-19, 10:02 AM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
HA! Right there with you! And... '69 was one of Chevrolet's best years!
Old 06-17-19, 10:32 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Meh, I wouldn't mind dropping some grams but an aero bike is the last thing I'd want in my stable.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 06-17-19, 10:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Even if I was to fork out $12,000 for a new bike, this is still cheaper than other hobbies/interest I've had.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-17-19, 10:46 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Hah, just the opposite here. I'd love an aero bike...but see no need to lose grams (or ounces...or even pounds).
Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 06-17-19, 10:55 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Speak For Yourself.
Likes For firebird854:
Old 06-17-19, 10:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Cue Slade:

Likes For datlas:
Old 06-17-19, 11:00 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Old 06-17-19, 11:19 AM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Like a tiger chasing its tail. Well it gives us all something to strive for I guess.
Old 06-17-19, 11:37 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Don't put me in your box.
Likes For joelcool:
Old 06-17-19, 11:46 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm just chasing the dragon. (You never catch the dragon.)
Old 06-17-19, 11:58 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
Train heavy, race smart. Old school quotes never mentioned aero or lightweight (directly).
Rode the tandem as a single with some climbing, for a good leg workout last Sat.

Nice ride on the paved forest roads.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-17-19 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 12:08 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Not all of us are strong enough to lift heavy bikes
Old 06-17-19, 12:20 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I'm just chasing the dragon. (You never catch the dragon.)
Cue Steely Dan:

Likes For datlas:
Old 06-17-19, 12:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
We want lighter because it saves us seconds on climbs that are higher grades and 10x longer than we ever ride. Why? To be faster in certain, yet rare situations, while at our current level of fitness. Cost... A lot of $$$$

We want more aero to make us faster (while at our current level of fitness), while we ride in groups, draft, and negate the aero all but when we are on the front pulling. Cost... A lot of $$$$ P.S. the most aero position is the one you rarely see anyone riding in.

Meanwhile riding a heavier, less aero bike would technically make us more fit (for the same speed) as we were forced to squeeze out those few extra watts to keep pace with our group rides.

So the only time any of our "upgrades" make sense is if we are riding solo and want to be faster (presumably for strava that almost no one analyzes), or racing.

All that being said, I cant help but want a bike that's lighter and more aero.
Some of us actually race.

And those of us who have raced for awhile have discovered that equipment is only a small (in some cases, very small) part of the equation.
Old 06-17-19, 03:06 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
No, it wouldn't.

I wouldn't ride harder because I was on a crappier bike. I'd ride the same and just be slower.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 06-17-19, 03:26 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
If I feel like I'm not doing enough work in a group ride, I can take longer pulls, or race up climbs, or whatever. Exertion is much more down to how hard I want to work, than to the bike I'm riding.

If I want an easy day but still want a group ride, I don't hop on a fast bike, I ride with a slower and/or steadier group.
Old 06-17-19, 03:34 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've ridden inexpensive bikes and expensive and if you can't "feel" the difference hen buy the inexpensive.

I can feel a difference and I don't have to be climbing Cat 1 mountains or riding at 50KpH to get an advantage. The feel, handling and shifting is impressive. So if you can afford it... do it. If you can't ... save. And if you can't fell the differance don't buy an expensive bike.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-17-19, 03:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
If I feel like I'm not doing enough work in a group ride, I can take longer pulls, or race up climbs, or whatever. Exertion is much more down to how hard I want to work, than to the bike I'm riding.

If I want an easy day but still want a group ride, I don't hop on a fast bike, I ride with a slower and/or steadier group.
Exactly. I'll play this game where I'll see how many times I can attack, get caught, drift to the back, recover, fight my way to the front, and attack again. Repeat until dropped. That's a lot different ride than one where I just sit in.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-17-19, 07:44 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
............So the only time any of our "upgrades" make sense is if we are riding solo and want to be faster (presumably for strava that almost no one analyzes), or racing.
My upgrades make the bike function more efficiently and feel better to me. Enjoying the ride (for whatever reason I find valuable) is why I ride.
Old 06-17-19, 08:04 PM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I did not upgrade to an "aero" bike, but I did spend many dollars (> $1400.00) upgrading the bike I have (which I purchased on sale for around $400.00), and in the process, with the new components, shaved about 3 or 4 pounds from the bike. I now enjoy the bike even more than I did before and I do not feel the need to upgrade to a new one...however, that does not mean I do not look.
I may upgrade n + 1 at some point in the future...but not until I can really afford the "dream" bike. I do not want to upgrade to "just another bike" I will only want to replace in a couple years.
Old 06-17-19, 08:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Want > need.

And you can absolutely do both. My Cervelo weighs 8 pounds less than my Ritchey. The lighter Cervelo is inarguably faster-- but I have over double the miles on the Ritchey this year. It's not always about going as fast as possible.
Old 06-17-19, 08:52 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
But most of my rides are solo and I spend most of my time in the drops. Hoods are for relaxing or slow climbs.

I also dispute that you'd get fitter with a heavier bike. That only applies if you fail to apply the LeMond principle that it never gets easier, you just go faster. I can only work so much beyond my limits on any bike but a faster bike means that those limits are that much faster. Need to work harder? Just go faster.
Old 06-18-19, 03:54 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
As someone else higher up the thread said, speak for yourself. When I was in the market for a new bike, I bought an aero bike as the price was right, it was the right size, and after a 20 mile test ride, I found it extremely comfortable and fun to ride. I'm not really fast enough to make massive gains through aerodynamic advantage. But it brings a smile to my face when I'm riding, so who cares?
However, I am faster on it this year than I was last year. Is it because I spent all winter riding my heavier CX bike with 35mm tyres? Or am I just fitter because I rode my bike all winter? Probably a combination of the two. But, the CX bike is a lot harder work than my aero bike.
On Saturday, I took the winter bike out on a club ride as there was rain in the forecast. I joined group 3 as I'm tapering for a 205 mile ride at the weekend, and didn't want anything too fast or hard work. Group 3 rides are generally a social affair in my club. However, it was a tough ride on the bike. 26 miles, 1600 ft of climbing, 14.6mph average, the usual small hills a struggle, and just a struggle in general through the entire ride. Heart rate was zone 3 and zone 4 for most of the ride.
The prior Sunday, however, I was out on a sociable "ladies ride" with some of the other girls in my club on my aero bike. 80 miles, 4500 ft of climbing, 14.8mph average, 2x categorised climbs (3/4), but a really nice, sociable ride. It wasn't a struggle, and we all had a good natter throughout the ride. Heart rate was zone 2 for a majority, with a small amount in 3 and a few minutes in zone 4. I could have pushed it more, and I still wouldn't have struggled nearly as much as I did on Saturday.
And if I compare my winter bike to my aero bike on a group 2 club run, for a ride that is 15.5mph average pace over mostly the same route (group 2 adds 1 x categorised climb and roughly 1.5 miles to the route), again, my heart rate is mostly in zone 2, with a bit of time in 3 and 4. Again, that ride was not a massive struggle compared with this past weekend's.
ride. And comparing temperature and wind, both were about the same.

I didn't buy the aero bike because it would make me faster. I bought it because it's fun to ride. I didn't buy the CX bike because it would make me stronger when on the aero bike. I bought it because it could take wider tyres and has hydraulic disc brakes, which is what I wanted for winter riding and so I had something a bit more versatile that would be appropriate for a bit of off-road riding. It is also fun to ride, but in a different way.

I don't ride for the sole purpose of seeing how fast I can go, although how far I can go is a completely different story. I ride because it brings a smile to my face, and yeah I get excited if I set a new PB, or on the rare occasion get a QOM. Let's see if I am still smiling come sunset Saturday...
Old 06-18-19, 04:01 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Some of us actually race.

And those of us who have raced for awhile have discovered that equipment is only a small (in some cases, very small) part of the equation.
Even if you race unless you are a paid to race, sponsored professional, it makes zero sense to spend thousands on a bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.