Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Your century bicycle(s)

Old 05-18-19, 09:24 PM
rgvg

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 1984 Specialized Sequoia which I rode today on my first Century ride. It was also the bike I used for my first metric century in April. I bought this from a retiree who changed bikes to a more upright hybrid for comfort reasons. He told me it was his first big purchase after getting a good job back in the 80's. It is too big for me but it is the also probably the best specced out bike in my small fleet of old bikes. Now that it's my first century bike I may never sell it, unless I run into another one that is more right sized for me.
Old 05-27-19, 05:57 PM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I started riding at least one century a year on my birthday, or as close to as I could. I got inspired by reading someone on the internet. I think this year will be the 5th year in a row.

I can't post pics yet, (once I fulfill the 10 post quota I'll post pics) but I've done centuries on three bikes:

1978 Trek 510. It was an odd build but it got the job done. Mix of old new and throw some fully weighted paniers on for good measure. Some friends and I took a vacation and biked from Burlington VT down to New York NY. This was my first century and before I started the birthday century tradition.

1986 Univega Viva Sport. Absolutely LOVE this bike. It was built up with 10 speed Dura Ace at the time.

1996 Scott A.F.D. 303. One of the few steel road bikes Scott has made. Other than it's a bike that fits and works for me, its not all that impressive.

I will say, all but the first century have been on Brooks saddles. I'm a huge fan of leather saddles.
Old 05-28-19, 04:51 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg View Post
My 1984 Specialized Sequoia which I rode today on my first Century ride. It was also the bike I used for my first metric century in April. I bought this from a retiree who changed bikes to a more upright hybrid for comfort reasons. He told me it was his first big purchase after getting a good job back in the 80's. It is too big for me but it is the also probably the best specced out bike in my small fleet of old bikes. Now that it's my first century bike I may never sell it, unless I run into another one that is more right sized for me.
Very cool, I have 1983 and 1984 Sequoias in the queue to be built up and taken out for a long ride.