Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last TV series you watched

Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last TV series you watched

Old 10-13-18, 01:59 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
Netflix let me go back to start the good place without the commercial breaks..
Old 10-17-18, 12:46 PM
patrick_s

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot Tourmalet; 1985 Bianchi Rekord 845

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I watch the fourth season of Gotham right now and after I finished that, I'll start with season 9 of The Walking Dead.
Old 11-26-18, 11:32 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Detectorists on amazon prime gotta say 10/10 beyond goofy humor on the adventures of local guys w/ metal detectors
Old 11-30-18, 12:00 PM
bensonthetiger

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Highly recommended TV shows:
Game of Thrones
The Sinner
The Haunting of Hill House
Old 12-19-18, 01:39 AM
amyrich

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on a Netflix binge spree now. TV Series have become my drug of choice, tbh. Just finished Mindhunter (for the second time). Can't wait for the next season!
Old 12-19-18, 02:26 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2813 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by bensonthetiger View Post
Highly recommended TV shows:
Game of Thrones
The Sinner
The Haunting of Hill House
Because??
Old 12-22-18, 04:31 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
The Great Interior Design Challenge on NF...cuz I'm decoratively-challenged. Like so many reality shows, I watched the first several eps start-to-finish. Then FF'd through the remaining shows to cut to the chase...Before/After. Learned a few things. So I found it worthwhile. I mainly watched this cuz I stink at picking out colors. I need to paint every room in the house after having it insulated (attic, walls, and block wall basement).

Oh, and why the obsession with painting walls, cabinets, etc gray?...so depressing.
Old 12-22-18, 06:57 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in -Time

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mars 5/10 (Season One was 8/10, but Season Two is so "bang the drum" eco-Left docu-drama that it badly impacts the "Mars" part of the series)
Mr. Inbetween 8/10 (would be higher, but doubling-up 30-minute shows meant that the series lasted all of what? a month?)
NFL Redzone 10/10 (Scott Hanson has got to be the new "Hardest Workin' Man in Show Bizness")
Old 01-22-19, 02:31 PM
late

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 8906 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Sex Education (netflix), really good.
Old 01-22-19, 03:22 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My GF got me hooked on Outlander.
Old 01-23-19, 08:28 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 56 Posts
Miami Vice
Old 01-24-19, 04:37 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story on Netflix 9/10. Well acted, fascinating true crime story based on the non-fiction book, Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace, and the Largest Failed Manhunt in U.S. History by Maureen Orth.

Downgraded because the TV series over-emphasized the creepy ****sexual relationships of the delusional murderer with most of his victims, and barely addressed the police/FBI cross country manhunt procedures that I found so interesting in the book. Excellent production values.

Bad Blood on Netlix, a Netflix one season mafioso crime series set in Montreal. 7/10 nothing out of the ordinary. The same old, same old betrayals, snitching and murder.
Old 01-25-19, 01:06 AM
KraneXL

I'm not that biggest fan of musicals (or Westerns for that matter) but even though they'd likely be at the bottom of my list of things to watch, there are still a few that I can say have had a lasting impact.

For example, I liked "The Sound of Music" mostly because it was a family story with a genuine message of patriotism and a commitment to a cause and the sorrow we face and the sacrifices we sometimes have to make. Also, the very well written score and singing was integral to the telling of the story, and not necessarily forced or contrived.

Similarly, "West Side Story" had the right balance of characters along with dramatic real-life experience although the dance scenes were a lot more theatrical and lacked the semblance of spontaneity found in TSOM.

My point is, if you asked me to go see a musical I'd immediately say no unless you gave me a good reason why I might want to expand my views and reconsider.
Old 01-25-19, 01:41 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 2781 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 121 Posts
Star Trek: Enterprise -- 6/10
I've watched Enterprise on and off for years, since it was in first run, but never in sequence. But Comet has been running entire sci-fi series in sequence from pilot through final episodes, for binge watchers. So for the last few days I've been able to watch the final season of Enterprise and the restart of the entire series with the pilot.

It pretty much confirms the impression I had all along, back 15 years ago: the acting and writing are mostly terrible.

Only a few things made the series tolerable: T'Pol, as Jolene Blalock found her footing and developed nuances within an inherently limited character. Seeing the series final a couple of nights ago, followed by the pilot the next night, confirmed that she was the only actor and character who developed during the run of the series.

And I've always like John Billingsley, the actor who played Phlox. Phlox reminded me of my ENT surgeon, which was actually very reassuring getting ready for thyroid cancer surgery in November. I didn't tell my doctor because it would probably seem weird. And John Billingsley has played a variety of good and bad characters equally well, and shaded Phlox with that same range throughout the series.

But Scott Bakula is just ... barely competent. In every role. He seems like a guy who nails a cold reading or audition and charms the casting director. Then he never grows beyond that. No matter what's happening in a scene, he's practically shouting his lines at the same level without any reaction to what the other actors are doing. No interpretation, no levels, no nuance, no dynamics, no genuine interaction with other characters. This was painfully apparent in every scene with Blalock, who could own a scene with just a Vulcan side-eye glance, while Bakula is regurgitating lines he memorized over breakfast. Same in Quantum Leap years ago. Same in NCIS: New Orleans now. He must be a really nice guy to work with, reliable and not a PITA. I can't think of any other reason why he keeps getting hired.

The rest of the cast... I can barely remember them. Some guy named Trip with a ridiculous Huck Finn accent but otherwise likeable in an aw-shucks way.

But the worst was the writing. At every possible turn they did it wrong. They came up with some good ideas and completely pissed them away with indifferent sequencing. And that doesn't even get into the conflicts and resolutions that were preposterous even by the loose standards of the Star Trek universe.

And I'll probably still leave it on when it comes on TV because it's tolerable background noise and ... T'Pol. And Phlox.

But I'd rather watch Deep Space Nine, which used to be my worst of the Star Trek franchises. Just awful, hokey melodrama. Enterprise managed to make DSN seem okay.
Old 01-25-19, 03:15 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Star Trek: Enterprise -- 6/10
I've watched Enterprise on and off for years, since it was in first run, but never in sequence. But Comet has been running entire sci-fi series in sequence from pilot through final episodes, for binge watchers. So for the last few days I've been able to watch the final season of Enterprise and the restart of the entire series with the pilot.

It pretty much confirms the impression I had all along, back 15 years ago: the acting and writing are mostly terrible.

Only a few things made the series tolerable: T'Pol, as Jolene Blalock found her footing and developed nuances within an inherently limited character. Seeing the series final a couple of nights ago, followed by the pilot the next night, confirmed that she was the only actor and character who developed during the run of the series.

And I've always like John Billingsley, the actor who played Phlox. Phlox reminded me of my ENT surgeon, which was actually very reassuring getting ready for thyroid cancer surgery in November. I didn't tell my doctor because it would probably seem weird. And John Billingsley has played a variety of good and bad characters equally well, and shaded Phlox with that same range throughout the series.

But Scott Bakula is just ... barely competent. In every role. He seems like a guy who nails a cold reading or audition and charms the casting director. Then he never grows beyond that. No matter what's happening in a scene, he's practically shouting his lines at the same level without any reaction to what the other actors are doing. No interpretation, no levels, no nuance, no dynamics, no genuine interaction with other characters. This was painfully apparent in every scene with Blalock, who could own a scene with just a Vulcan side-eye glance, while Bakula is regurgitating lines he memorized over breakfast. Same in Quantum Leap years ago. Same in NCIS: New Orleans now. He must be a really nice guy to work with, reliable and not a PITA. I can't think of any other reason why he keeps getting hired.

The rest of the cast... I can barely remember them. Some guy named Trip with a ridiculous Huck Finn accent but otherwise likeable in an aw-shucks way.

But the worst was the writing. At every possible turn they did it wrong. They came up with some good ideas and completely pissed them away with indifferent sequencing. And that doesn't even get into the conflicts and resolutions that were preposterous even by the loose standards of the Star Trek universe.

And I'll probably still leave it on when it comes on TV because it's tolerable background noise and ... T'Pol. And Phlox.

But I'd rather watch Deep Space Nine, which used to be my worst of the Star Trek franchises. Just awful, hokey melodrama. Enterprise managed to make DSN seem okay.
You summed up the entire series in one short sentence. Funny you should mention ST, I just got through watching a Las Vegas Comic-Con youtube videos of TNG cast.

I was stoked when I first heard of another new ST series coming to TV. But after being a loyal view for the first 2 seasons Enterprise I finally gave up and threw in the towel. The only thing memorable about Enterprise was the theme song which I memorized (something done since I was 7). None of the character ever developed any individuality and I got tired of the same old dull plot with the harpoon and umbilical shuttle week after week. When it comes to ranking ST captains, I typically have to be reminded he was ever one of the candidates.

People say it got better near the final couple of seasons, but I never went back to test that claim. Now that you brought it up, I may go back and try again to finish it. Its the only ST I haven't watched to the end. Except for Discovery which I'm boycotting due to pay channel. But from what I hear, its on the verge of collapse, so I'm not missing much.
Old 01-25-19, 08:54 AM
bobwysiwyg 

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 20 Posts
"Victoria" on PBS.
Old 01-25-19, 02:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 2781 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
People say it (Enterprise) got better near the final couple of seasons, but I never went back to test that claim. Now that you brought it up, I may go back and try again to finish it.
Mostly true. Generally, Enterprise got better as the show progressed. The main characters were more confident and comfortable with each other. Some of the episodes were somewhat enjoyably complicated, although they were all rehashed versions of STNG episodes that were done much better years earlier, such as the mirror, alt-universe or bizzarro world trope stolen from Superman comics.

But it still wasn't necessarily good. The same ridiculous stuff persisted throughout. Good guy character knocks out bad guy character instead of killing bad guy, then walks away to reconnoiter or whatever, with the viewer thinking or actually screaming aloud at the TV "TIE HIM UP OR KILL HIM, HE'S GOING TO SNEAK UP ON YOU AGAIN, IDIOTTTTTT!!!"

Etc.

One of the many bad TV tropes that annoys me. Even worse than Worf always getting his ass kicked in every fight. For a big, strong guy, Worf was a disgrace to the Klingon race.

T'Pol and Phlox were always the best thing about the show.
Old 01-25-19, 04:23 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 54 Posts
Happy! on Netflix - grimy, vulgar, trippy, and hilarious. I loved it, but it's not for everyone.
Old 01-28-19, 11:48 AM
trsidn 
Jeff Vader

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Saw the opening show of 'I am the Night' - looks very promising...
Old 01-28-19, 01:05 PM
KraneXL

Season 2 Premiere Star Trek Discovery

Finally, got to decide for myself if all the negative hype about this series was as bad as everyone claims. From what I say, the negativity is an understatement. I make a habit never to review a program until I've seen it in its entirety. But this was a real challenge, and one of the most painful shows I've had to watch since I can remember. Not just the worst ST episodes, but one of the worst TV programs ever. Sitting through it was truly painful. It lack story, character and substance.

Its basically a ST made for women. I say that because practically every scenes is a testament to female power. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the VIEW, as long as it doesn't pretend to be something that it is not. It slathered with political correctness. But not just PC, but PC in the most obnoxious presentation. You feel smothered by it, and at the cost of losing any hope of enjoying the show.

Starting with the main character Michael. The fact that Michael is a she should have been a clue to what this show is about to challenge. All of the traditional notions of gender identity. In that, STD starts off strong and never lets up. With everyone she meets Michael dominate the action -- including exchanges with the captain. Michael always knows best. What's worse, there wasn't even a good story.

Captain Pike comes abroad Discovery assume command after the Enterprise is damaged, to embark on a special mission to determine the origins of some strange RED signal they detect.

On the way, they find a crashed Starfleet ship in an asteroid field and have to rescue the occupants. Michael proclaims to the Captain that "we never leave a Starfleet person behind." Naturally Michael is a part of the away team of 4 in one man pods, and advises the others to listen to her guidance or they will die.

Surprisingly, (not really) one male officer choose to ignore her warning and is immediately crushed by an asteroid. After that, the captain pod is damaged and Michael rescues him -- even though he gave her an order not to.

Anyway, its more melodramatic soap opera than episodic. If all that wasn't bad enough, they chose to tell the story of Michael's childhood -- where she is raised by Spock's father and human mother -- using these accursed dreamlike flashbacks.

All through the show Michael experiences these unending annoying teeth grinding flashes of Spock as an arrogant, self-absorbed child. It ends on another of a half dozen dark and dreamy flashes of Spock and Michael's going through some as yet unknown emotional encounter. However, instead of leaving me anxious to see next week's episode, I felt a sense of great relief and euphoria that it was all over.
Old 02-06-19, 10:22 AM
colorider
smorenivore

My GF got me watching the first season of West Wing. I'm hooked.
Old 02-10-19, 10:36 PM
late

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 8906 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Russia Doll sucks.

I liked the look, almost 70s, and I loved Groundhog Day, it is superficially like that. I kept watching, thinking maybe they've got a big pay off coming.

There's no big payoff.

Skip it.

I mentioned Sex Education earlier in the thread, that was good.
Old 02-11-19, 11:33 AM
trsidn 
Jeff Vader

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
My GF got me watching the first season of West Wing. I'm hooked.

That show just makes me sad
Old 02-11-19, 03:54 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
That show just makes me sad
Comparing today's reality with a fictional functioning White House with leaders of character? Saddening indeed.
Old 02-11-19, 04:01 PM
trsidn 
Jeff Vader

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It was kinda sad when it was on...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.