Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIV

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 06:16 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
@MoAlpha In the 80s, my training tires were 19c. Racing tires were either Clement cotton or Clement seta tubulars . But those 19s pumped to 110 were harsh (I weighed ~142-145).

80s tech - 19c tires... we thought.
Yup. Clement Elvezias and assorted other cheapos, pumped up to the atmospheric pressure of Jupiter. I remember owning one pair of silks and saving them for the man I marry.
Old 05-20-19, 06:34 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
A lot of the guys I ride with have really gone wide and are doing road rides on 40mm width tires. I know they must be great on rough tarmac, but I don't know if I am missing anything. The issue is my Habanero can only go as wide as 25 and the Roubaix I think 28. I currently run 23F 25R on the Habby and 25F 25R on the Roubaix. I suppose I can get a set of 28's for the Roubaix to get a taste of wider. Or just ride my CX bike (which has not been ridden since last year. Sad!).
Old 05-20-19, 06:54 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I finished my first tour, on Friday, and experienced none of the issues I had prepared for. Thankfully. Not even inattentive drivers. My cygolite rear appeared to function well at moving passing traffic out wider than was actually necessary.
Old 05-20-19, 06:57 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I finished my first tour, on Friday, and experienced none of the issues I had prepared for. Thankfully. Not even inattentive drivers. My cygolite rear appeared to function well at moving passing traffic out wider than was actually necessary.
Old 05-20-19, 07:05 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
A lot of the guys I ride with have really gone wide and are doing road rides on 40mm width tires. I know they must be great on rough tarmac, but I don't know if I am missing anything. The issue is my Habanero can only go as wide as 25 and the Roubaix I think 28. I currently run 23F 25R on the Habby and 25F 25R on the Roubaix. I suppose I can get a set of 28's for the Roubaix to get a taste of wider. Or just ride my CX bike (which has not been ridden since last year. Sad!).
Panaracer Paselas and Gravel Kings in 28 mm run narrow, around 26 mm on most standard rims. They're the best tire for road bikes of a certain era that were not intended to run anything wider than a 25.

Gravel King 28's on my 1988 Cannondale Crit Series, which I have never been able to fit any other brand of 28 mm tires onto:

Last edited by Lemond1985; 05-20-19 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 07:08 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I went down to 36mm from the 40mm tires that came on the Lynskey, in order to fit fenders, and there was an immediate improvement in the bike's numbers with no decrease in comfort. Wish I'd gone to 32s. As I noted, the new 23s on the road bike are measurably faster than the 25s they replaced, although they're also faster tires. I don't think the wider-faster relationship is monotonic, especially for us lightweight individuals, and some people I trust say it's basically nonsense.
Old 05-20-19, 07:11 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Very few people these days ride FG unless they do track racing or a few other things that suit them. I am really looking forward to getting back on by FG which is old Shogun road bike I rescued from a rubbish dump and rebuilt it as a FG. I have done a few randonnees, started 2007 PBP and then toured various parts of Europe and Britain on it as a FG.

The real advantage of FG is that every drive component is basic. There is no assembly to allow the wheel to turn when you don't pedal. The result is that there are very few components that need attention or regular replacing.

The Shogun has done just over 7,000km as a FG, and I think the drivetrain components are all as I originally put on except for the rear hub and its gear -- I used a cheap and rather nasty gear that stripped the thread holding it on to the hub, so that combination will never be used by me again. New hub was the same, but gear was much better and more expensive.

I am looking forward to riding the FG again. I suggested next weekend on a certain cycleway, but Machka was quite apprehensive about me doing that right now because of hills and lots of stops to check vehicle traffic before crossing roads.

She suggested (as an expert partner does) doing again last weekend's ride location, and along with the previously mentioned Merlin CF bike, we could be riding the same little township both days next weekend. The weekend after that, we go to another part of the island state as she is organiser of a randonnee for someone who is using it as great practice for his trip to this year's PBP. Plenty of places for me to ride around up there, if the weather is OK.
@Machka is wise.
Old 05-20-19, 07:13 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I actually looked to see if you might be in that group, but I was sort of looking into the sun.

Got tummy problems over Saturday night and am still feeling the effects. Think it was from the grab and go sandwich I got at the Phoenixville Giant. Other than that and the headwind both days, it was great.

When I got to Kimberton Rd. four Schwinn Armstrong types were coming towards Pughtown. Two blew right through the stop sign. As you know, Pughtown is a descent there. I ended up having to split them in order to avoid a collision.

Later on the SRT a large group was passing me in a narrow area where there are mid-trail bollards at road crossings. A woman didn't see a bollard, clipped it wand went down along side me. I unclipped but couldn't avoid putting my foot down on her rear wheel. No damage done.

Two more near misses. One on Main St. In Manayunk and another on the Kelly path. I told the idiot who turned right in front of me to pull over for the coffee shop that in the event of a collision, I am a semi and you are a Toyota Corolla. So many people riding with no concern for anyone but themselves.
Sounds exciting.
Old 05-20-19, 07:16 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

40s on road bikes.

SMH

R.I.P. @DougRNS
Old 05-20-19, 07:17 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Old 05-20-19, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
This is Marty. He works at the Giant supermarket in Phoenixville, PA. He even has his own name tag. Marty's job is rove around the store, detect any spills and report them to humans. When I encountered Marty he was milling around in the same place doing nothing. So in that respect, he is like many human employees. Other than that, he's a robot that works in a grocery store. Let that sink in.

Old 05-20-19, 07:36 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by indyfabz
This is Marty. He works at the Giant supermarket in Phoenixville, PA. He even has his own name tag. Marty's job is rove around the store, detect any spills and report them to humans. When I encountered Marty he was milling around in the same place doing nothing. So in that respect, he is like many human employees. Other than that, he's a robot that works in a grocery store. Let that sink in.

Might be looking down womens' shirts, being 9' tall with googly eyes and all.
Old 05-20-19, 07:37 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Might be looking down womens' shirts, being 9' tall with googly eyes and all.
He's sounding more human.
Old 05-20-19, 08:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
No rides for me this weekend - under the weather.

There was some back-and-forth from some club-mates' rides, though, and their proudly proclaimed top 3 finish reinforced my decision not to do organized rides when they only involve those couple of the younger fellas.

Backstory is that I did a gravel ride with them about a month ago and one of their friends showed up. Nice guy, but someone that I'd never met before. About half way though the ride, we all in the same group of 20+, but not all on each other's wheels. Their friend was a couple wheels behind them and a couple wheels in front of me when he got a flat. My two guys kept motoring, and I wasn't sure if they knew that he'd flatted. I rolled to a stop with him and asked if the other guys knew. He shrugged, thanked me and told me to ride on without him.

By this time, the group was 200 yards up the road. I busted my ass, but just couldn't close the gap with the wind and gravel conditions. After burning my matches solo for 30-40 minutes, it was evident that there was no re-group coming so I limped the rest of the way. My two guys up ahead were evidently drunk on the draft, never having ridden with a group that large on gravel before, and they never looked back for the remaining 30 miles or so. Kinda pissed me off. Afterwards, they were apologetic but also thrilled with their "race" and their top 40-ish finish (), rolling in with the second or third group. I pointed out that I got just as many upgrade points as them, but that evidently fell on deaf ears.

Anyway, their weekend "results" just tell me that their outlook for those kinds of rides isn't the same as mine and that our priorities are divergent enough to be frustrating under the right circumstances. I mean, I'm all for a hammer ride, but those kinds of rides will never be races to me - I don't see any glory based upon finish so I wouldn't leave my guys on the side of the road or flapping alone in the wind just to finish higher. Oh well.
Old 05-20-19, 09:05 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by WhyFi
No rides for me this weekend - under the weather.

There was some back-and-forth from some club-mates' rides, though, and their proudly proclaimed top 3 finish reinforced my decision not to do organized rides when they only involve those couple of the younger fellas.

Backstory is that I did a gravel ride with them about a month ago and one of their friends showed up. Nice guy, but someone that I'd never met before. About half way though the ride, we all in the same group of 20+, but not all on each other's wheels. Their friend was a couple wheels behind them and a couple wheels in front of me when he got a flat. My two guys kept motoring, and I wasn't sure if they knew that he'd flatted. I rolled to a stop with him and asked if the other guys knew. He shrugged, thanked me and told me to ride on without him.

By this time, the group was 200 yards up the road. I busted my ass, but just couldn't close the gap with the wind and gravel conditions. After burning my matches solo for 30-40 minutes, it was evident that there was no re-group coming so I limped the rest of the way. My two guys up ahead were evidently drunk on the draft, never having ridden with a group that large on gravel before, and they never looked back for the remaining 30 miles or so. Kinda pissed me off. Afterwards, they were apologetic but also thrilled with their "race" and their top 40-ish finish (), rolling in with the second or third group. I pointed out that I got just as many upgrade points as them, but that evidently fell on deaf ears.

Anyway, their weekend "results" just tell me that their outlook for those kinds of rides isn't the same as mine and that our priorities are divergent enough to be frustrating under the right circumstances. I mean, I'm all for a hammer ride, but those kinds of rides will never be races to me - I don't see any glory based upon finish so I wouldn't leave my guys on the side of the road or flapping alone in the wind just to finish higher. Oh well.
Sounds French-Showery to me. I agree with your conclusions. I mean, unless you have a number pinned on it's NOT a race.
Old 05-20-19, 09:11 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Sounds French-Showery to me. I agree with your conclusions. I mean, unless you have a number pinned on it's NOT a race.
Well, they're organized rides, so there are numbers involved, but no timing chips, no clearly-marked finish line, no racing license necessary, etc, etc. So yeah, def not a race.
Old 05-20-19, 11:53 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Well, they're organized rides, so there are numbers involved, but no timing chips, no clearly-marked finish line, no racing license necessary, etc, etc. So yeah, def not a race.
Even the gravel races I've been to around here aren't so serious. As one of the race directors describes them, "they're like a mullet. Business up front. Party in the back." There are a dozen, or so, contenders racing hard off the front and the rest of us are out to do our best and have a good time.
Old 05-20-19, 12:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Yeah that's NOT a race and again, sounds like a French Shower maneuver by your "friends."
Old 05-20-19, 12:19 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I've never liked Panaracer Paselas, though they get rave reviews from the c&v crowd. The current Trek has them, and it's unlikely they'll make the trip South, unless they are needed for padding. The rims will likely suffer the same fate. Serious packing begins tomorrow. This morning I picked up a bike box, a utility knife, and a large roll of gorilla tape.
Old 05-20-19, 12:21 PM
MoAlpha
• —

So, @datlas, ever regret not doing a cards fellowship? So many mysteries to solve.
Old 05-20-19, 12:21 PM
indyfabz

Storm's a comin'. Time to move the bike under cover.
Old 05-20-19, 12:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

So, @datlas, ever regret not doing a cards fellowship? So many mysteries to solve.
Maybe. I entered medicine a little later in life so I did not do a fellowship. I am just a little bitter that the cardiologists make 3X what I make because they order (mostly unnecessary) tests that enhance their revenue.

So, no mysteries to solve. Sad.
Old 05-20-19, 12:45 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Maybe. I entered medicine a little later in life so I did not do a fellowship. I am just a little bitter that the cardiologists make 3X what I make because they order (mostly unnecessary) tests that enhance their revenue.

So, no mysteries to solve. Sad.
I am just making oblique and forbidden references, but can't resist.
Old 05-20-19, 12:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I am just making oblique and forbidden references, but can't resist.
I don't mind. This is a fairly safe place to make such insinuations.
Old 05-20-19, 12:52 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

One of my patients works in medical research. He told me that he is working on the "next generation" of erythrocyte stimulating agents. I mentioned that there are probably some cyclists who would be very interested in his work....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.