Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favero Assioma DUO Power Meter Feed back

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 03:08 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

I would like to know if anyone in the forum is using these and their experience. I have decided to get a power meter and it seems to be either this one since it is duo sided, or could go with Pioneer 8000 shimano. The only other real option I think is simply getting a single sided crank power meter I can get for 4iiii for $300. I have been a serious cyclist for years and never used one but now seems to be the time. I am a runner too but slowing down real fast so not much to go on, on the bike I can still push the pace and ride well. I think the power meter would be fun but of course at 58 next month I am not training for anything except beer and donuts. Going with pedal based makes leaving my other bike on trainer in winter and then just swapping pedals. Seems a better fit?
Old 06-18-19, 05:47 PM
ReLLiK75

Bikes: 2014 Look 695, 2012 Look 695, 2011 Giant Anthem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I would like to know if anyone in the forum is using these and their experience. I have decided to get a power meter and it seems to be either this one since it is duo sided, or could go with Pioneer 8000 shimano. The only other real option I think is simply getting a single sided crank power meter I can get for 4iiii for $300. I have been a serious cyclist for years and never used one but now seems to be the time. I am a runner too but slowing down real fast so not much to go on, on the bike I can still push the pace and ride well. I think the power meter would be fun but of course at 58 next month I am not training for anything except beer and donuts. Going with pedal based makes leaving my other bike on trainer in winter and then just swapping pedals. Seems a better fit?
I have them. I've had them since they were released. Rock solid. They've even updated their firmware a few times to add new features. They work great and for the price you probably can't find a better power meter.
Old 06-18-19, 06:50 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
How is clipping in and out. I use Shimano sps-sl I have heard some find the Keo harder to clip in. I even after years have to watch it with Shimano road clets they don’t always hit first try.
Old 06-19-19, 08:16 AM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had the Favero Assioma DUO for a bit over a month, ~200 miles of ride. I love them as power meters: very consistent reading at its price range and easy to switch between bikes.

However, I've been riding with SPD-SL Ultegra carbon pedal systems for more than six years, same style of shoes (four Giro shoes) and same cleats positions. I could never find the sweets spot of the Look system, particularly when I was climbing at lower cadence (<60) and (> 3 watts/kg). Clipping in and out was easy. The Look pedal is approximately ~1 in narrower than the SPD-SL. I tried the Assioma's red cleats, Look's red/grey cleats, but it just worked out perfectly for me. Maybe I just needed more time to develop different muscles for the new pedal systems.

In the end, I sold the Assioma ebay after one month of use. I lost $100 (including ebay fees and shipping) for the one month trial (bought it brand new).

Based on my personal experience, they're great power meters at their price range. The bottom line is how do you like the Look pedal system? are you able to make the changes to a new pedal system?
Old 06-19-19, 09:48 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
You may also want to consider https://powermetercity.com/product/fsa-road-powerbox-alloy-crankset-power-meter/ it is dual sided power at the crank, its batteries get hundreds of hours before a quick replacement, it auto calibrates every time you stop pedaling for 3 seconds and has temperature compensation, it even has an LED that lets you know if your connected, it's woken up, etc.

I bought it a few months ago, have about 800 miles on it, and it's been perfect, my only gripe is it's extremely heavy, but you'd be saving hundreds in comparison to almost every other system.
Old 06-19-19, 01:25 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Any issues with shoes hitting the pods? Looks like there would be.
Old 06-19-19, 01:27 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by firebird854
You may also want to consider https://powermetercity.com/product/fsa-road-powerbox-alloy-crankset-power-meter/ it is dual sided power at the crank, its batteries get hundreds of hours before a quick replacement, it auto calibrates every time you stop pedaling for 3 seconds and has temperature compensation, it even has an LED that lets you know if your connected, it's woken up, etc.

I bought it a few months ago, have about 800 miles on it, and it's been perfect, my only gripe is it's extremely heavy, but you'd be saving hundreds in comparison to almost every other system.
I absolutely hated that thing. The spindle was just a touch too big and wouldn't go into or out of my frame without a heavy mallet and tons of pounding. It was absurd. So that meant a battery change was not in any way quick.

It also had a much wider q factor compared to Shimano, which was so awful I couldn't ride without it feeling like my crank was wobbling.

And yes, crazy heavy. And...fsa.
Old 06-19-19, 02:45 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I absolutely hated that thing. The spindle was just a touch too big and wouldn't go into or out of my frame without a heavy mallet and tons of pounding. It was absurd. So that meant a battery change was not in any way quick.

It also had a much wider q factor compared to Shimano, which was so awful I couldn't ride without it feeling like my crank was wobbling.

And yes, crazy heavy. And...fsa.
Maybe we're thinking about two different cranksets, cause, the battery is is located just behind the crank under an easily accessible rubber cap (this is essentially a rebranded Power2Max Ngeco):

Also, the crank set on my previous bike is essentially this with carbon cranks and it feels exactly the same while giving accurate and cheap dual sided power.

I haven't had to change the battery yet but I doubt it'd take much longer than 30 seconds...
Old 06-19-19, 05:09 PM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Any issues with shoes hitting the pods? Looks like there would be.
I've been riding the UNO for a year with two different shoes, a Northwave and a Louis Garneau and no issues hitting the pod.
Likes For str8jakett:
Old 06-19-19, 06:41 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by firebird854
Maybe we're thinking about two different cranksets, cause, the battery is is located just behind the crank under an easily accessible rubber cap (this is essentially a rebranded Power2Max Ngeco):

Also, the crank set on my previous bike is essentially this with carbon cranks and it feels exactly the same while giving accurate and cheap dual sided power.

I haven't had to change the battery yet but I doubt it'd take much longer than 30 seconds...
Ah, yes, that is different. On my FSA p2max it was behind the crank spider so you had to take off the cranks. That's a much better setup there.
Old 06-19-19, 07:06 PM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Ive had mine for about a year. They have been absolutely flawless. I was also a Shimano pedal/cleat user and it only took 1 ride or so to get used to the new cleats.