Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek or Lemond

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek or Lemond

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 06:55 PM
Bluetick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek or Lemond

Another newbie question. TREK 5000, Trek Madone 5.0 or Lemond Versailles, my LBS has these 3 bikes in stock and I test rode them. They both felt good to me, but being completley new to road bikes I couldn't tell alot of difference. I need someone to tell me the pros and cons of these 3 bikes. The prices are pretty close. The lemond has a slanted top bar while the Trek has a straight bar. Do you think this makes the Lemond a little more comfortable. I am in need of some help. Anything you have to offer about these bikes would be appreciated. If you would rather PM me feel free. Thanks
Old 07-29-07, 09:04 PM
SpeedNut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How close is close?
Old 07-29-07, 09:33 PM
mNod
Noob in training

Bikes: 1992 Trek 2300 - SR Sport Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never ridden on any of those bike so I cant help you. It would probably be easier for other people to help you if you told them what kind of riding you planned on doing.
Old 07-29-07, 09:46 PM
Bluetick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be riding for excersize to start with, with hopes of joinging a bike club as I improve. Lemond Versailles $1900, Trek 5000 $1600, Madone 5.0 $2000.
Old 07-29-07, 10:17 PM
Old School

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like your budget is not a limiting factor. All three models are fine bikes and come with very good components. The two Treks have marginally higher components -- full Ultegra vs 105/Ultegra mix, and both have full carbon frames. The Lemond has a "min-max" carbon frame (I am not quite sure what that means) and "compact" geometry (i.e., slanted top tube). Go back and ride each of them again -- one of them is bound to suggest itself as the bike for you. By the way, proper fit is essential for a ride that feels right. Be sure you take some time to determine the correct frame size for you. Good luck and be sure to let us know your decision!

Last edited by Old School; 07-29-07 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-29-07, 10:23 PM
Dr_Robert
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old School
Sounds like your budget is not a limiting factor. All three are fine bikes and come with very good components. Go back and ride each of them again -- one of them is bound to suggest itself as the bike for you. Proper fit is essential for a ride that feels right. Good luck and be sure to let us know your decision!
+1

For your intended use & proposed budget, any bike will do - provided it fits you well. If possible, do 3-5 miles on each bike, and get the one you're most comfortable on.

-DR
Old 07-29-07, 10:44 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Treks will have similar geometries. The Lemond will have a different geometry. Do some longer test rides and go with the line that fits you better.

Don't they have a Trek 5200 between the 5000 and the madone? That's a nice rig.

Oh, and the Lemond Sarthe is where it's at anyway.
Old 07-30-07, 01:02 PM
modsquad
Gravelbad

Bikes: ancient stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that the Sarthe is killer. Big (self) respect for fewest bucks. I've got a 07 Zurich which I think is an amazing ride. If you can spring for a Triomphe frame bike (like the Versailles) you should go for it.

You really won't go wrong with any of the bikes you've listed. Other than the Sarthe you should lean towards Ultegra equipped bikes.
Old 07-30-07, 01:37 PM
Cassadamius
Extra Junior Member

Bikes: '05 LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lemond. More relaxed geometry and Lance didn't ride it, so it's less common.