Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Is this security guard a jerk? Or am I overreacting?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Is this security guard a jerk? Or am I overreacting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 04:44 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is in Lansing, right? I noticed that the local transit system has a couple of bike lockers for rent at $10/month.

https://www.cata.org/bikes_lockers.html

That means there's a person at CATA who went to the trouble of making the bike lockers happen. Who is that person? Does he/she have enough political mojo to make another bike locker appear at or near your hospital?
Old 05-19-08, 04:50 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
"We don't have room for everybody to take their bike inside"
Yeah, I really don't think that's going to be a problem. Classic!

... Brad
Old 05-19-08, 05:19 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Novakane
In addition to everyone else - I say take it higher up as well. Security guards are usually outsourced, so placating their little power trip is not likely to be as high a priority for management as keeping their staff happy.
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson
Security guards are generally those who are too dumb or out of shape to be cops. I would ignore him or go over his head if he continues to be an annoyance.
No, our guards are employed by the hospital and they're paid a lot more than the so-called rent-a-cops. Some of them have worked there for years, but I don't know this guard. Most of them are professional and polite--one reason I was taken aback by this one. And yes, to me it seemed like he was power tripping, but that was an impression I got more than actual words that he used.

My relationship with the guards is kind of important. I work on the psych unit, and we occasionally call them for backup when we need help with an assaultive patient. I sure don't want them all ticked off at me, and by extension my whole unit.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-22-08, 08:07 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
....So far, I've been parking outside, hoping he'll give up on me and I can go back inside before something happens to my bike. Any ideas what I should do to handle this better? Or should I just give up and park outside? What do you all do with your bikes at work?

The retort that I always tell a non -goverment worker is "Will you sign this legal document promising to replace my bike in the event of theft/vandalization? The usual response is the guy walking away from me or refusal to sign (I have an actual physical written document clearly assigning fault to the guard him/herself as well as the company employing him/her and promising to pay for all damages and loss. Most of the time, it is some minimun wage desperate person who needs a quick and easy job-and they will not sign. Another way to fool these mororns is to use a folding bike and bag the thing completely way before being sighted by the building staff-and continue to park the bike in that out of the way indoor storage room. Since it is little used, I can't understand why the security guard even found out about the bike. Is there someone who rats on other people working there? That would be real tragic in itself.

Basically, I think it is only one person who is hassling you for some other reason besides being "bike prejudiced." I would also go over his head and talk to the highest person you can get to. Most places do not want trouble and if your solution won't cost money for the hospital, you will probably be allowed to place the bike in that out of the way place. But you might gain an enemy who will just be bothersome as the unknown thief-so go foward cautiously. Only you know the best way to continue to protect your bike.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 05-23-08 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-22-08, 08:39 PM
keiththesnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roody:
I agree that if you get YOUR supervisor to support you, then the rent-a-cop's supervisor will likely agree with him or her. Sparrow? Useless waste of building. Really great lobby. Maybe they should invest in the human resource, instead. Just my two cents.
Keith
Old 05-22-08, 08:54 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any chance of bringing a folder inside?
Old 05-22-08, 09:16 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The supervisor will always side with their subordinate. You need to start bringing the bike inside again, citing that there is nothing in your Post Orders that state bringing a bicycle into the buidling is against hospital policy. Post Orders are the actual procedures the Security Guards go by that is policy. This will force him to produce a copy of the written document that backs him up (which they won't have, and they'll have to change policy to inconvenience you).

If they decide to change policy, find the environmental liaison with the hospital and plead your case. The last thing they want is people saying they're "not green."
Old 05-22-08, 09:21 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
folder fanatic, were we separated at birth?

My pat answer to anybody telling me I can't bring my bike in at work is simple -- when you put $2500 in an envelope, seal it, write my name on it, and set it in the safe for me WHEN and not IF my outside-locked bike gets stolen/stripped, THEN you can tell me whether I can bring it in the door.

I had a central office of my old bank tell me once that I couldn't take my bike through the drive-up, but I could bring it in the lobby. I still stopped using that location after that date. A local fast-food joint told me I couldn't come through the drive-up on my bike -- almost got into a fight w/ a smart-mouth busboy about it. In their defense, my bike wouldn't set off the signal for the speaker. I did like that they had to throw away the food I ordered.
Old 05-22-08, 09:29 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATAC49er
folder fanatic, were we separated at birth?

My pat answer to anybody telling me I can't bring my bike in at work is simple -- when you put $2500 in an envelope, seal it, write my name on it, and set it in the safe for me WHEN and not IF my outside-locked bike gets stolen/stripped, THEN you can tell me whether I can bring it in the door.

I had a central office of my old bank tell me once that I couldn't take my bike through the drive-up, but I could bring it in the lobby. I still stopped using that location after that date.
A local fast-food joint told me I couldn't come through the drive-up on my bike -- almost got into a fight w/ a smart-mouth busboy about it. In their defense, my bike wouldn't set off the signal for the speaker. I did like that they had to throw away the food I ordered.
FYI, the same thing happened to me at McDonalds.

...but Starbucks drive thrus welcome cyclists; in fact they always fill up my water bottles...
Old 05-23-08, 12:58 PM
SkippyX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Security Guard: "You can't take the bike inside. You have to park it outside."

Me: "I'll worry about it when you get your fat @$$ out of the car and prevent me from doing it. 'til then - bite me."

Pretty simple, really.
Old 05-23-08, 02:18 PM
freeimprov
meh

Bikes: Cayne Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking as a professional bureaucrat and former security guard...

You want to MUSCLE this guy. Most security guards are decent (read lazy) guys, but some are wannabe Dirty Harrys who enjoy taking advantage of the badge in order to push people around. They're easy to spot because they come on aggressively rather than politely, like most guards. The bad guards are simply thugs, and you have to speak to them in thug language. And that means asserting dominance in no uncertain terms.

As others have pointed out, your FIRST line of support is your own manager. Make sure your manager is aware of the situation and supportive of your actions. If you must go speak to a building or security manager, try to do it with your own manager present if at all possible. It becomes much harder for them to say no to you if it risks setting off an inter-departmental fight.

Now, security managers are a different breed than the thug-type guard. Thugs don't make it to management, because they're brutal and stupid and lack the finesse to pass the interview. Most security managers are from the lazy-guard pool, and they don't want anyone harshing their mellow any more than necessary. Moreover, they have years of experience dealing with the thugs (who often try to bully their own bosses), so he may not reflexively defend his own staff here - in fact, he may appreciate a reason to slap down a problem guard. This is of course a generalization and not necessarily true in your specific case, but the odds are good that the security manager will be sympathetic.

But back to the muscle. Besides your own manager, you should get HR involved (with your manager's knowledge). They NEVER want hassles or disputes, and could care less about "security", so they're likely to join you against the guard just to nip problems in the bud. And, since you're in a hospital, you may want to see if you can get some doctors to support you as well... after all, biking is healthier and safer than driving!

With the correct support, you could get motion toward a REAL solution to the problem - a safe, secure, and guarded area where bike commuters can park their rides without fear of theft! Done right, you can even win some recognition from your own management for showing leadership and initiative! You'd be encouraging biking to work (a good thing) and a safer, healthier working environment.

This makes me appreciate how spoiled and lucky I am... I work with terrific on-site security (federal police) who are always polite and helpful, and bike commuters get to keep their bikes in the locked, access-controlled, guarded garage. I don't even lock mine!
Old 05-27-08, 11:03 PM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chain your bike to the security guard's car.
Old 05-28-08, 04:50 AM
smilin buddha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go higher also talk to your boss. I got stopped one time by a security guard at a local Target. He checked my receipt for dog food. When I was going back in he let a guy with plastic totes leave the store without checking them. How was I supposed to hide things in a bag of dog food. Difference the guy with the totes had a tie and slacks on. I had shorts and my tattoos were showing. I confronted him and talked to his supervisor. He got transferred . I would still talk to your boss. But sometimes they are not used to someone questioning them. A badge doesnt give you power. Or see if you can leave your bike inside the delivery area.
Old 05-28-08, 04:54 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Whose to say security guards know **** about acautal policy. . I'd taken the matter to a higher authroity long ago.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 06-05-08, 02:34 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would suggest death threats, If that doesnt work kidnap one of the security guards children. But then again, Im told that I have a bit of s short fuse...
Old 06-10-08, 12:42 AM
PotatoSlayer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fun way to deal with this moron:

Chain your bike to the back of his SUV.
Old 06-10-08, 04:36 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Update: I decided to take the coward's road. For a couple weeks I locked my bike outside. Then I started taking it in again. If I get any more crap, I'll take it to a higher authority, as so many of you suggested.

Thanks to everybody who responded. It's nice to know that we can rely on the folks here for good ideas!

"Think Outside the Cage"