Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

GM/Chysler bankrupcty

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

GM/Chysler bankrupcty

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 05:51 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have always purchased what made the most sense for me at the time. Unfortunately Detroit never really learned how to build a proper small car. They excelled at trucks and other full frame vehicles. I have owned many of Detroit's small and medium cars of the years and for the most part they fell far short of their European/Pacific competitors. AFAIK there is currently no US car company offering a small/medium sized wagon. Ford axed the Focus wagon in 2007, our family purchased two of them, but we are SOL if we want one now.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-10-09, 06:41 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
FYI, on Monday, the Supreme Court was delaying the sale of Chrysler to Fiat:
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/bu..._r=1&th&emc=th

Basically, Chrysler says it needs to be sold, and quickly, or else it could go out of business entirely and be forced to liquidate. Most of its investors agree, although there are a few investment funds (notably three based in Indiana) who are contending that the sale is illegal and filed an appeal with the Court.

However, the Court decided yesterday that the previous court decisions were correct and that the deal could go through. Fiat could own part of Chrysler as early as today.
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/10/bu...html?th&emc=th
Old 06-10-09, 10:49 AM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
FYI, on Monday, the Supreme Court was delaying the sale of Chrysler to Fiat:
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/bu..._r=1&th&emc=th

Basically, Chrysler says it needs to be sold, and quickly, or else it could go out of business entirely and be forced to liquidate. Most of its investors agree, although there are a few investment funds (notably three based in Indiana) who are contending that the sale is illegal and filed an appeal with the Court.

However, the Court decided yesterday that the previous court decisions were correct and that the deal could go through. Fiat could own part of Chrysler as early as today.
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/10/bu...html?th&emc=th
Done Deal.
Old 06-10-09, 06:20 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverexpress
Done Deal.
Yuppers. We might actually see some Alfas and Fiats, whether wearing their original badging or relabeled as Dodge or Chrysler cars.

(I'm posting these in LCF because, since people are still going to be driving cars, it would be nicer if more of them were like these)

I kinda like the Grande Punto, just from looking at it (no knowledge of its reliability record):
https://www.fiat.com/cgi-bin/pbrand.d...D=1074063125#;

Or the Alfa Romeo Brera (possibly the sexiest hatch on the planet... it looks damn good in person, too):
https://www.brera.alfaromeo.com/
Old 06-14-09, 06:22 AM
gemini

Bikes: Trek Allant 7.2, Trek Soho S

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
We might actually see some Alfas and Fiats, whether wearing their original badging or relabeled as Dodge or Chrysler cars.

I kinda like the Grande Punto, just from looking at it (no knowledge of its reliability record):
I have never owned a car and know remarkably little about them, but even I know that neither Fiat nor Alfa Romeo are exactly known for reliability. Alfa Romeos are in fact rather legendary for falling apart.

Originally Posted by Robert Foster
When I was in London in 2006 I didn’t notice any more bicycles than here. But gas was 8 bucks a gallon. Gas prices aren’t in itself going to change people much.
I remember seeing statistics showing that the cars in the UK consume on average about half of the fuel of compared to the average in the US, so the proportion of income spent on fuel is not necessarily all that different from the US, despite the price per gallon (the cars are much smaller, though). London also has a massive public transportation system that is mostly not at all integrated with bicycling.

That said, I've spent some time in London in 97/98 and again recently, and the difference in bicycling is very noticeable. I hardly saw anyone on a bike ten years ago, but now cyclists are a constant, if small, part of the traffic. The city seems to be putting a real effort to increase cycling and the trend looks pretty good.
Old 06-14-09, 06:28 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many of you would just love the minimalist Fiat Panda. It didn't even have door handles.....

Old 06-14-09, 07:05 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Who says Chrysler can't build small cars... Not long till we see these babies on the street.

The 300 gets upgraded to a 500. A convertible AND a moonroof!

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-14-09, 08:17 AM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gemini

That said, I've spent some time in London in 97/98 and again recently, and the difference in bicycling is very noticeable. I hardly saw anyone on a bike ten years ago, but now cyclists are a constant, if small, part of the traffic. The city seems to be putting a real effort to increase cycling and the trend looks pretty good.
When I was in London in a hot sunny summer in the mid '90s, maybe '94 I'm not sure, I was impressed with the cyclists but some still wore masks. What impressed me was that they expected their rights to be respected. The image that sticks in my mind is of this old guy on one of those 3 speeds getting cut off by a car. He rode up beside the car and started banging on it yelling at the driver. This happened around the tower with big ben. Maybe that's not really London but it is close. The traffic was pretty thick.
A friend who lived there said when she arrived and they gave her an orientation briefing they told her something like "It doesn't matter what the highway code says- don't hit a cyclists or pedestrian." The company thought that American drivers had to be told not to run over non-motorists.
Old 06-14-09, 08:45 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
All these pictures of car are making me very...bored... can't stay... awake.... need... bike pictures... YAWN!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-14-09, 10:01 AM
gemini

Bikes: Trek Allant 7.2, Trek Soho S

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwd
When I was in London in a hot sunny summer in the mid '90s, maybe '94 I'm not sure, I was impressed with the cyclists but some still wore masks. What impressed me was that they expected their rights to be respected.
Yes, Brits have never built many bike lanes, but expect bikes to be ridden among the traffic and be considered vehicles. Most drivers are pretty good about this, at least compared to some other countries.

The image that sticks in my mind is of this old guy on one of those 3 speeds getting cut off by a car. He rode up beside the car and started banging on it yelling at the driver. This happened around the tower with big ben. Maybe that's not really London but it is close.
?

You mean the Houses of Parliament in Westminster? I'd say that ought to qualify .

The traffic was pretty thick.
I was recently very impressed with people cycling in the Piccadilly Circus among the car traffic. It's pretty much as thick as it gets, narrow lanes, no bike lanes, lots of double-decker buses, and the sidewalks are actually fenced off with iron railing to keep the masses of tourists etc. from stepping into the traffic. If you get squeezed by the cars there is nowhere to go, yet there were cyclists riding inbetween the buses all the time. Not just young men either, but all kinds of folks.

Edit: Google Streetview has got at least one cyclist on Piccadilly, even if he seems to be a spandex case:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...319.33,,0,5.95

Drag the image around with mouse to see the railing and buses.

Last edited by gemini; 06-14-09 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-03-09, 10:55 PM
Honeybee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The American car inventory is too huge. They offer way to many options and way too many versions of the same car. There was always a larger supply than demand. The cost saving would be easy if they simply stopped making so many models. Also, entire cities should never have been so dependent upon a corporation for sustainability (Detroit). It never made much sense economically was a disaster waiting to happen.
My advice would be to slim the model line especially Chevrolet, GM and Chrysler. Why do you need a Malibu and an Impala. Dump the Malibu. And the MSRP game they have played for years is old news.

I can go on and on about what a waste Buick and Pontiac have been. I mean why bother?
Thats what I dont like about American car manufacturers they dont understand the principles of simplicity and making one product very very good. Toyota and Honda have built reputations on two models: Camry and Accord.

What part of this is difficult to understand?

So in the end, they get what they get. If they go bankrupt oh well...their business model was stupid from the beginning.
Old 07-06-09, 02:48 PM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Our focus in recent weeks has been on creating a new company from the strongest parts of the old GM, and on doing it with transparency and speed. This has been an especially challenging period, and we've had to make very difficult decisions to address some of the issues that have plagued our business for decades," Henderson said. "We have, in effect, been fixing our bike while we ride it. Now the repair work is almost done, and we're steering the company back onto a path to viability and success. We're ready for the challenge, and prepared to ride as fast as we can." --- Fritz Henderson - CEO GM co.

More here....

https://m.detnews.com/news.jsp?key=487438&rc=an
Old 07-06-09, 03:13 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My father, who had never bought a foreign car in his life (he's in his 70's), finally had had enough of the junk coming out of Detroit and he bought a Prius. He says it's the best car he's ever owned.
I find it kind of puzzling that so many people are willing to use the brand name as an indicator of what is or isn't a foreign car.

Many Toyotas sold in the USA are made in the USA, while many General Motors vehicles are built elsewhere.

And the brand certainly doesn't always tell you who designed the vehicle - the Chevy Prizm is one of quite a few models that were built according to another company's design (Prizm is a version of the Toyota Corolla) but they stuck a plastic badge on it and called it a Chevy.