Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Contador's asthma

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 07:53 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Contador's asthma

Contador has had sanctions in the past for certain asthma medications, did anyone notice his 4 or 5 inhaler
puffs on one of the monster climbs IIRC Wed 7/19. He was in a bunch, climbing hard and reached around
to a jersey pocket pulled out something, shook it several times and put it to his mouth and repeated this
4-5x. Just amazing to be using an inhaler on one of the toughest days on the tour.
Old 07-24-17, 08:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Meh. I can't climb some hills at all without taking ephedrine tablets beforehand, let alone at race effort.

Steroid inhalers do nothing for me, most of the powder gets stuck in my mouth and throat. It takes half a dozen puffs just to get a little into the lungs. Even then it never clears the airways like ephedrine.

Problem is it's bad for my BP and thyroid. But I tend to need to breathe while riding.
Old 07-24-17, 09:15 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not because he used an inhaler but Contador to me in the tour captured his true champion heart. He gave his all and wasn't enough. Not as strong as his former self or we would have seen a better fight.
But was great to see the two time champion in the mix fighting every step of the way. Whatta bike rider he is.
Old 07-24-17, 09:28 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Contador was awesome this year.

I am not a fan of TUEs for banned substances (Froome has a boatload of those too) but I know my asthma inhaler wouldn't get me up a mountain in less than triple the time these guys take.
Old 07-24-17, 10:06 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
90% of the peloton has "asthma". It's amazing how all those sickly asthmatic kids you knew in school have all become world class cyclists.
Old 07-24-17, 01:18 PM
Cigarguy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Not because he used an inhaler but Contador to me in the tour captured his true champion heart. He gave his all and wasn't enough. Not as strong as his former self or we would have seen a better fight.
But was great to see the two time champion in the mix fighting every step of the way. Whatta bike rider he is.
+1

He's one of my favourite too. When he was young, it was a sight to see him dance up the mountains. Age more than anything else contributed to his downfall. The affect of age is universal for us all.
Old 07-24-17, 03:10 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cigarguy
+1

He's one of my favourite too. When he was young, it was a sight to see him dance up the mountains. Age more than anything else contributed to his downfall. The affect of age is universal for us all.
A true gentleman isn't he? Class act. Remember when Lance came back which ultimately was his undoing...Lance being out of his prime with Contador on his team. Lance couldn't beat Contador. They didn't speak to one another on the same team. Was supposed to be Lance's show. Not to be Contador was too strong. As you say, nobody is immune of the ravages of age even when guys are in their 30's and among the best bike riders on the planet.
Old 07-24-17, 07:21 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
Contador was awesome this year.

I am not a fan of TUEs for banned substances (Froome has a boatload of those too) but I know my asthma inhaler wouldn't get me up a mountain in less than triple the time these guys take.
We agree. Dump the TUEs.

In the last 25 years of TdF of the yellow jersey wearers in Paris - two riders have no public documentation that they used any PEDs.
All others have.

Right now - PEDs are needed to win Le Tour - just like Lance said.

Last edited by Doge; 07-24-17 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 08:04 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
90% of the peloton has "asthma". It's amazing how all those sickly asthmatic kids you knew in school have all become world class cyclists.

It's not that kind of asthma. Many athletes suffer from exercised-induced asthma. Probably just as many people in the general population would also have asthma attacks triggered by exercise if they ever bothered to get off their sofa and put it a hard effort to find out.
Old 07-24-17, 08:16 PM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
We agree. Dump the TUEs.

In the last 25 years of TdF finishes in Paris - two riders have no public documentation that they used any PEDs.
All others have.

Exactly.
Old 07-24-17, 10:34 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Contador was awesome in the tour. So aggressive and willing to work and take chances. Was hoping he could get a stage victory, but for sure all heart and guts.
Old 07-25-17, 09:32 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts

Contador to me in the tour captured his true champion heart. He gave his all and wasn't enough
Early on I was not an Alberto Fan but over the last few years his courage has changed my mind. His performances in the TDF, and especially the last day of Paris Nice were the highlights of the year as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-25-17, 02:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
As an asthmatic i can assure you there is no asthma medication which is going to get me up to racing speeds. Some stuff will raise my heart rate---which makes it dangerous because I could damage my heart. Even if it gets my heart racing, none of it gives me that big a boost ... mostly I can just breathe less badly than before. I wish i could take a shot of an inhaler and power up hills. But there is nothing legal I could find in any inhaler which would do that.

As for Contador ... yeah, he went for it this year and I loved it. I was a fan until he got busted and the Spanish UCI branch tried to get cute and all that ... but he paid the price. He lost maybe his prime year of riding.

He is old now ... but he showed heart like not a lot of riders do, IMO.
Old 07-25-17, 04:27 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
stage 17 of the 2012 vuelta where contador took purito to school was a masterclass
in racing. bertie's had some pretty decent gambling attacks-some have paid off, some haven't-
but that one was gutsy and netted him the leader's jersey and the eventual overall win.

love him or hate him...at least you can't say he's been boring. when he was at the top of his game
a few years back as a climber, time trialist and tactician, he was nearly impossible to beat.
his supporting cast (expect for the ascension to the throne early years) has generally been
dogmeat compared to some of his biggest rivals. i will miss his combativeness when he leaves.
Old 07-25-17, 07:39 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
We agree. Dump the TUEs.

In the last 25 years of TdF of the yellow jersey wearers in Paris - two riders have no public documentation that they used any PEDs.
All others have.

I believe it was Jacques Anquetil who said (I'm paraphrasing) You don't win the Tour de France with Perrier. Same as it ever was.
I agree that Contadore showed how a true champion rides. He went down but he went down swinging. I forget which stage it was but Contadore attacked to bridge to the leaders and tried to take Quintana with him. The Colombian could not hold his wheel. Said something about both cyclists