Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Shingles!!

Old 05-30-18, 08:57 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
I got my the shot a few weeks ago when I was at the Doctor's office. I am set to go back for the booster sometime in Sept.
Any annoying side effects? Apparently more common with the new improved vaccine than with the original less-effective vaccine. But generally not serious side effects.
Old 05-31-18, 04:55 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Any annoying side effects? Apparently more common with the new improved vaccine than with the original less-effective vaccine. But generally not serious side effects.
Nothing that I have noticed.
Old 06-20-18, 07:35 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
Why Is Everyone Getting Shingles?
https://medium.com/s/story/why-is-ev...s-2d19b30d906c
Old 06-20-18, 08:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
The author makes no mention of the medication that is reputed to make a big difference in the length and severity of the outbreak. I went online and saw acyclovir (Zoirax), Famciclovir (Famvir) and Valacyclovir (Valtrex).

I do not recall the medication I was prescribed when I was diagnosed at age 58, nor do I know what my grandmother was prescribed but our experience is relevant here.

Long ago my great aunt had a bout with shingles. She knew of the medication but had her life changed forever by a botched surgery and did not trust the medical world. She suffered horribly for months. Her sister acquired shingles and knowing that story, promptly went to the doctor, got the medication and went through the shingles in weeks. I did not know those stories when I noticed a line of spots along a rib as I dressed to ride home from work. Stopped at Medical on the way out. The nurse immediately diagnosed the shingles and said I had 24 hours to get that medication and that she wasn't letting me leave until I had made the doctor's appointment. Went straight to the doctor after work the next day. Same diagnosis, just as fast. Was prescribed the medication and told my next stop was the pharmacy - no plans were more important - and that I was to immediately take my first dose. I did, A week later I was feeling a little better. Better still a week later, Missed no work. Not fun, but not a nightmare either.

See the spots? Act fast! Get to the doctor. Don't let him not address shingles. (I've heard of people being misdiagnosed other things who then had to go through h*** because they missed that little window.)

Ben
Old 02-10-19, 02:39 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
I've been on immunosuppressants for a kidney transplant back in 1998, and because of this, I was unable to get the previous Shingles vaccine since it's a live virus. My first bout with Shingles happened in 2014. The pain started in my lower back in the area of my right kidney. This concerned me because I'd had renal cancer in my left non-working native kidney back in 2005, so my first thought was to have the right kidney checked out. The day after the nephrologist appointment was when the rash finally showed itself. A visit to a local doc confirmed Shingles and he started me on the meds. This was the start of six agonizing weeks.

I've been told I have a high tolerance for pain, but this was worse than anything I'd experienced. I was forced to lay face-down on the sofa as it was the most comfortable position I could find. The pain lingered at around a 7-8 for most of the time, but about every 10-15 seconds I'd get the sensation that someone twisted a knife, sending the pain level to at least a 9. Then, about once a day, I'd get what I called "fire attacks". This was when, somewhere in the affected area, the sensation that my skin was on fire would start in a small area, then radiate out until it covered the entire area. The entire attack would last only 30 seconds or so, but the pain was indescribable. In the end, I'm left with neuralgia on my right hip that will sometimes itch like mad.

Then, in November of 2018, I was again diagnosed with Shingles, but this time on the back of my neck and around my right ear. I was prepared for the worst, but it ended up feeling like a bad sunburn. I was very relieved. I'll be talking to my transplant docs about the new vaccine.
Old 02-10-19, 09:17 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I had a shingles vaccine last year at age 65. I recently had my yearly wellness check-up and was told that there is a new vaccine out but medicare does not pay for it. Also my doctor said it was on back order at that time. This thread reminded me to check into getting the vaccine. I hope my medi-gap plan will pay for it.
Old 02-10-19, 09:41 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I had a shingles vaccine last year at age 65. I recently had my yearly wellness check-up and was told that there is a new vaccine out but medicare does not pay for it. Also my doctor said it was on back order at that time. This thread reminded me to check into getting the vaccine. I hope my medi-gap plan will pay for it.
The new vaccine (Shingrix) is administered in 2 doses, 2-6 months apart.
My 6 months was up in December, and I am still waiting for it to become available for the 2nd dose.
Old 02-10-19, 11:34 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
The new vaccine (Shingrix) is administered in 2 doses, 2-6 months apart.
My 6 months was up in December, and I am still waiting for it to become available for the 2nd dose.
Sometime last fall I was supposed to go into the Dr's office for the 2nd shot. The morning of, they called and said they ran out. I went down to the local CVS pharmacy and they did have it in stock, and I got my 2nd shot there..

In my case the insurance from work paid for it.
Old 04-04-19, 05:42 PM
Patriot1 
Retired loving & Life!

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Had my Shingrix first shot awhile back and got an email notifying me of my second shot April 28th.

Old 04-06-19, 04:26 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I got both shingles shots at the VA (service connected health care). The first one laid me low for about a day with flu like symptoms. The second one five months later didn't. Based on what people have written who've had the shingles, I don't want any part of that.
Old 04-06-19, 05:11 PM
Patriot1 
Retired loving & Life!

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I got both shingles shots at the VA (service connected health care). The first one laid me low for about a day with flu like symptoms. The second one five months later didn't. Based on what people have written who've had the shingles, I don't want any part of that.
Yes, the first shot also had me feeling fluish and kinda dragging around lacking energy for 4-5 days. I hope the second shot doesn’t.

Last edited by Patriot1; 04-07-19 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 08:02 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Had a breakout of Shingles in Feb '17, as a result of Chemotherapy wiping out my immune system. Struck a nerve on the left side of my face with rashes from my lip to the top of my bald head. Add a nice case of thrush that made my tongue completely white on one side and I looked like a Batman villain. Added Acyclovir to the dozen or so meds I was already on, but cant really say if it helped. Luckily it stayed out of my eye, but I lost about 80% of the hearing in my ear. (Don't tell my wife that it's mostly back) Still have scars on my cheek from the deepest rash.

The rashes cleared after a month or so, and then the Post-herpetic Neuralgia set in. Like hot needles in my ear drum and cheek bone, the nerve pain lingered forever. The left side of my mouth still feels numb most of the time, 2 years later. It's gone from unrelenting and nearly incapacitating, to something I mostly ignore now. Of all the stupid complications of my cancer, 5 of which had me a day from dead, Shingles gave the worst and the most lasting pain. Protect yourself from this at all cost.
Old 04-08-19, 08:07 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Good advice. My father has been suffering with it fo a couple months now and says it’s the worst pain he’s ever experienced. He had been vaccinated with the old shot. My wife and I managed to get the first shot a couple weeks ago. She felt kinda funky for a couple of days, I just felt a bit tired for one day. Not a bad trade off to avoid this disease.
Old 04-08-19, 08:33 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Got my first shingrix dose a week ago and had most significant vaccine reaction I can remember. But, tolerable and mostly gone after 2-3 days. Arm still a bit sore on day 6. Didn’t keep me from doing what I wanted/needed to do, bicycling included. Really looking forward to second dose in a couple of months! Much, much better than actual shingles, from what I understand.
Old 04-08-19, 08:44 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Yes, sore arm too, more so than I recall from other shots. But like you it didn’t really stop me from doing anything.
Old 04-09-19, 03:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Yes, sore arm too, more so than I recall from other shots. But like you it didn’t really stop me from doing anything.
I didn't even get a sore arm from my first dose of Shingrix, but the second dose left my arm sore for over a week. The day after that second dose I did have some malaise/lethargy (I actually took a nap that afternoon, which is pretty much unheard-of for me when I'm not sick) but it passed quickly. Much better than suffering with shingles, that's fer sure!
Old 04-09-19, 04:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I need to put myself on the list for the new vaccine. Good thing I procrastinated and didn't do the old one.

I heard there are nationwide shortages. Vaccine imported from the UK? Time for a 2 month trip to Europe?

Around here, one is supposed to reserve the follow-up shot when one gets the first one.
Old 05-04-19, 03:29 PM
Patriot1 
Retired loving & Life!

Just received the second booster Shingrix vaccine this past Friday. I felt tired and flu like, arse dragging and have had a pretty sore arm the last two days. All in all I am glad I got the vaccine. My insurance paid for it.

No Doctor here, but I think it’s wise to get the shot based on what shingles can do to the body.

Last edited by Patriot1; 05-04-19 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 09:43 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Oh, that brings back memories! NOTHING relieves bone-deep nerve pain. I would lie on the cool tile of the kitchen floor and whimper. Four months to go through the various stages. The blisters look spectacular but they actually didn't hurt - mine went away after a couple of weeks. My doc said I had immunity for a year afterwards, then advised Shingrix. 300.00 for two shots but well worth it. No coverage public or private insurance where I live.
Old 07-02-19, 11:52 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
About 6 weeks ago, I said that I need to talk to my doc about the vaccine next time I see her... Three weeks ago yesterday, I wore a pair of shorts I hadn't washed first. Three weeks ago today, I noticed a rash above my butt crack. And thought it was just a rash from the shorts... By that weekend it had spread across my lower back and left buttock, and around my hip right up to my pubes, thankfully, no further... And realized, it was NOT just a rash. Two weeks ago today, I began to feel like I'd exercised and was quite sore. The next day, the sore became severe deep tissue pain. And made an appointment to see my doctor. Still not thinking shingles. Wrong. I saw her that Friday, she gave me an anti-viral med to limit the effects of the shingles, but I was well into them. I couldn't ride my bike, I couldn't go to the gym, anything that made me sweat irritated the skin and any and all movement made me regret it. And then my left hip began to hurt, and that deep bone pain is tough. I know deep bone pain after one knee replacement and planning the other..

Ok, Three weeks into this. I am still sore, but improving. MOST of the rash is gone, but there remains spots that had scabbed over and are healing, these itch terribly and are irritated by sweat. TRIED to ride my bicycle Sunday, about 3 miles was my limit, the spot in my groin and left thigh is still highly agitated... I don't feel like I got hit by a bus anymore... I DO have a high pain threshold... This tested that pretty hard. I took the offered percocet a few times.

My doc put me in for the vaccine in a month or two. I need to be clear of all symptoms she says. The odl vaccine was 50-70% effective, she said. The new is better than 90%, though she says I'm likely good for 2 years without. But if I don't get the vaccine, I WILL get shingles again. So, yeah, I'm getting the vaccine as soon as I can.

Coincindence? Or just random bad luck. I had Chicken Pox at 6 years old, in June... Now Shingles, at 56, in June... Makes one think, eh?

A friend once told me, after I had a severe Gout attack, that he'd rather have Shingles. Not long ago, I said the same thing before this got worse. I hate to think what it would be like without the anti-viral for the last 10 days... I don't want either...
Old 07-02-19, 01:09 PM
roundrocktom

Bikes: Catrike Dumont

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I did get new Singles vaccine. Part 1 was a piece of cake, part 2 knocked me on my butt for a few days but bounced back. My wife is living with Shingles since being a teenager, not something I wish on anyone.

I also got the pneumonia vaccine.

Early Poster mentioned Gabapentin, which works for me. Not well understood, but my peripheral neuropathy is insane. Imagine walking up screaming, thinking your feet are being submerged in boiling oil. Not pleasant at all. I'd flip off covers, turn on lights and stare at healthy feet telling myself it was a dream but, the dream never stopped when I was awake. Gab helps, only the time I can fully disconnect my brain from that sensation is during intense exercise. Hence Triathlons are my idea of fun.
Old 07-02-19, 07:27 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by roundrocktom
I did get new Singles vaccine. Part 1 was a piece of cake, part 2 knocked me on my butt for a few days but bounced back. My wife is living with Shingles since being a teenager, not something I wish on anyone.

I also got the pneumonia vaccine.

Early Poster mentioned Gabapentin, which works for me. Not well understood, but my peripheral neuropathy is insane. Imagine walking up screaming, thinking your feet are being submerged in boiling oil. Not pleasant at all. I'd flip off covers, turn on lights and stare at healthy feet telling myself it was a dream but, the dream never stopped when I was awake. Gab helps, only the time I can fully disconnect my brain from that sensation is during intense exercise. Hence Triathlons are my idea of fun.
Yeah, I have neuropathy in my feet. At least the burning is never super intense. I'm leery about going back to gabapentin. I had severe drowsy issues for a year. But I'm rapidly reaching a point I need to do something... With my weightloss this past year, my A1C has dropped out of pre-diabetic range for good., I've had this nueropathy for 5 or 6 years and it is getting old. I had been on gabapentin after my back and neck injury 8 years ago. After that year, they switched me to Lyrica, and that caused a 60 pound weight gain in 18 months. Switched back to gabapentin for a few months before stopping it on my own... I've been using a B complex called Metanx for the past year. Pricey, and beginning to think it is no longer enough.
Old 07-05-19, 03:19 PM
BlackForestTerp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I finally got called into my pharmacy after 11 months on their waiting list to receive vaccination 1 of 2 for Shingrex. The pharmacist said she believed that GlaxoSmithKline was finally ramping production but said they were still rationing.

I just hope that my second vaccination is available in 6 months.