Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can Road Cyclists' be trusted for advice?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can Road Cyclists' be trusted for advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 02:06 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokehouse
A few shooting/firearms forums come close though...
And if they are football fans....run to the hills!
Old 01-04-14, 02:35 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26434 Post(s)
Liked 10,394 Times in 7,219 Posts
...is it just me, or is it getting trolled in here ?
Old 01-04-14, 04:07 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...is it just me, or is it getting trolled in here ?
It's not just you ...

"Sock puppet troll" comes to mind.
Old 01-04-14, 05:40 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
The best troll is the one who is sufficiently subtle that respondents don't immediately realize the insincerity of his post.
So is the worst one!
Old 01-04-14, 05:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22614 Post(s)
Liked 8,935 Times in 4,164 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I am a real cyclist, I advise you never to trust a road cyclist.
Wow.
Old 01-04-14, 06:01 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nah…my post wasn't directed at you in the slightest…I figured you were being sarcastic.

I stick around this place because I've actually had some good conversations about the sport I adore…I've had my breaks here and there though when someone attempts to insult me (which is more often than not).

I've been on various forums since the late 90's…I'm still a member on many of them. Like I said, I've yet to come across many forums as brutal as this one can be at times. A few shooting/firearms forums come close though...
Who really gives a hoot what a group of 135 lbs string beans have to say? Don't let the angry little men get to you..
Old 01-04-14, 07:30 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
real cyclists was a nice web site before it shut down.
Old 01-04-14, 07:33 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
https://youtu.be/eS1kuLPRqLA

This is just an example. I've noticed on forums, videos, blogs cyclists seem to be like Durian. They will say a whole lot of BS, but then end up doing what they make fun of.

Be a real cyclists. Compact are for newbies and fatties. But then have to eat their words when they discover the best cyclists in Vuelta and France are using compact on the mountains. Carbon is crap, it's not reliabl, but then end up riding carbon anyway. Aluminum is too heavy blah blah and then end up using Aluminum because tired of spending too much $$$ each year, $800 for Aluminum vs $5K for carbon.

Crap I'm writing are just from what I've watched and read on forums, blogs and youtube from UCI/USAC.

I'm starting to think, cyclists just can't be trusted. Just do what works for you because for every person who makes fun of someone for riding a carbon, an aluminum, a compact, for style of riding, on the hoods or on the bottom, there are INCREDIBLE pros who make absolute fools of them doing what they say real cyclists don't do.

Really the only good advice I seem to find online are from the few writings and videos of race team mechanics who explain how they clean and maintain the bikes for their team's riders. Cause what they do, is often what I read say not to do, just again more terrible advice when the best riders riding on best bikes, trust their mechanics to do.

seriously though, duranrider??? I subscribe to his youtube channel because it's so entertaining, not for knowledge or information. If you want some good advice and information, try these guys: https://www.youtube.com/user/globalcyclingnetwork
Old 01-04-14, 07:36 AM
Smokehouse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
You spell like an engineer
LOL...my spelling/typing is terrible, this is why I don't write spec books. On a related note, My wife loves poking fun at me about it.
Old 01-04-14, 07:48 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
And if they are football fans....run to the hills!
Oh boy...ok, you got me there. Years ago, I skimmed football (US football) fan sites...I've never seen a more delusional, more inflammatory group of people. I found it ironic figuring they have zero control, zero say in anything. At least cars, guns or bikes you can control...and own. You can develop skills in using them (shooting, track driving, cycling). I can see debates concerning them. Football you simply watch, you have no control in it. They then get online and argue about it...I've always found that part to be odd.
Old 01-04-14, 07:59 AM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can we be trusted!!!! Sure..............we never ever lie about our abilities and how we just missed being a Tour rider if only work had not gotten in the way or hide behind keyboards telling others how darn great we are! We are like golfers..............had my best game today,,,,,,sorry you could not be there to see it!

Hey, this is the biggest bunch of liars about one's abilities you will ever meet......I have never seen so many border line pros here. Me on the other hand is a average Joe! I know I suck!
Old 01-04-14, 08:04 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11978 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 3,492 Posts
The answer is in my signature. Little guys are arrogant here because, well, because they can't be arrogant anywhere else without getting punched out.

Then the fat guys get arrogant because they're offended by the brazen little guys.

Then the middle-weight guys get arrogant too because, well, because they feel left out otherwise.

But it all starts with those mean n' hostile little people.

Last edited by BillyD; 01-04-14 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-04-14, 08:13 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Of all of the hobbies I have had over the years…bicycle forums like this take the top prize for the most arrogant, opinionated and quick to condemn a-holes I've yet to come across on the internet.
I had to laugh at this and I agree completely. For example, this guy tells me that to get a real power meter before I speak of results and then slinks away, never to be heard of again when it's shown that he is being an arrogant, quick condemn a-hole. It's pretty funny.
Old 01-04-14, 08:21 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWC
I had to laugh at this and I agree completely. For example, this guy tells me that to get a real power meter before I speak of results and then slinks away, never to be heard of again when it's shown that he is being an arrogant, quick condemn a-hole. It's pretty funny.
"slinking away" and "dropping the issue" are two different thing…apparently you have no idea which is which. I made an ass out of myself…there was no point in continuing to dig further.

Thanks for bring it up though…real class act.
Old 01-04-14, 08:22 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

A Clint Eastwood quote seemed to be warranted, as I keep hearing the showdown tune from "A Fist Full of Dollars."
Old 01-04-14, 08:28 AM
DaveWC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
"slinking away" and "dropping the issue" are two different thing…apparently you have no idea which is which. I made an ass out of myself…there was no point in continuing to dig further.

Thanks for bring it up though…real class act.
I'm sorry. I thought this was a thread about some of the a$$hat behaviors we find on this forum and that post stuck in my head. You seemed to be pretty vocal about the types of characters you find here and I thought you might look at it a little differently if the lens was focused in another direction. I get that you stopped digging on that thread. Another way to go could have been to simply make a post stating that you were incorrect and were moving on. But everyone chooses how to behave in the online world.
Old 01-04-14, 08:35 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWC
I'm sorry. I thought this was a thread about some of the a$$hat behaviors we find on this forum and that post stuck in my head. You seemed to be pretty vocal about the types of characters you find here and I thought you might look at it a little differently if the lens was focused in another direction. I get that you stopped digging on that thread. Another way to go could have been to simply make a post stating that you were incorrect and were moving on. But everyone chooses how to behave in the online world.
Any time I've ever been wrong in an epic manner like that…making any further comments, even if to apologize, only make things worse. Dropping the subject is the only thing that has ever worked for me. If I offended you…I apologize. (An E-apology…LOL. That and a nickel will get you a nickel I guess…)
Old 01-04-14, 09:01 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
The answer is in my signature. Little guys are arrogant here because, well, because they can't be arrogant anywhere else without getting punched out.

Then the fat guys get arrogant because they're offended by the brazen little guys.

Then the middle-weight guys get arrogant too because, well, because they feel left out otherwise.

Mods are allowed to troll now?
Old 01-04-14, 09:06 AM
DaveWC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Apology? Why would anyone expect an apology from a forum cluttered with arrogant, quick condemn a-holes? No, that was never expected. You apparently suffer from an inability to see irony and maybe that's one of the reasons you may have trouble on forums like this. Look inward my man. On any given day a single poster can be the a$$hat or the victim of a$$hattery. It's just the way it goes. There's no doubt that the 41 is strewn with odd, aggressive behavior unlike what you'd see face to face. And under the right or wrong circumstances most people can end up on either side of the a$$hat fence. This thread seemed to be rife with people that only see themselves on one side of that fence. I fully recognize my capability for aggressive behavior and don't apologize for it. Much of the benefit of this forum is entertainment.
Old 01-04-14, 09:14 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by lsberrios1

Dude! I've read your advice in the forum and honestly listened to it and appreciated it. I don't think this comment is being fair to the forum. The 41 tends to be a little snotty but it isn't terrible either. I come from car forums, motorcycle forums, watch forums and I have to say that this is probably the most understanding and helpful forum. I will give it to you the 41 is probably the most "aggressive" but it is not bad at all. Then you have the C&V which are freaking awesome and helpful and you also have the C&A which are extremely motivating people.

I'd am a road cyclist... I like to toot around in my Vintage bikes, put the hammer down in my CF rig and get dirty on my old mountain bike. in the end every road cyclist wants to be better and live the life of a superhero. Easier said than done. I live a complete lie thinking that my race bike will take me to some sort of trophy and give me some fame... I talk like i know about cycling and I believe I need a 14 pound race bike to crush the competition. In the end it's what makes me happy. Some people like to drink and smoke, others like to eat good food and others like to play racer. The "arrogance" comes from a false sense of accomplishment that is the result of such "hard" work.

I don't know what I want to say... Be happy and be nice to others. I am sure in the end we are all just keyboard warriors and deep inside we are all nice people. Also, why bother listening to negative nancies and not focus on those who offer help and make the community better? I know there are tons of the latter.

Really good post, good observations.
Old 01-04-14, 09:15 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by halfspeed
Mods are allowed to troll now?
Why should you guys have all the fun?
Old 01-04-14, 09:18 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Speaking of trolling, tuna fish does not taste the same since they removed all of the dolphin. Or is that trawling?
Old 01-04-14, 09:28 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

Old 01-04-14, 09:35 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Speaking of trolling, tuna fish does not taste the same since they removed all of the dolphin. Or is that trawling?
I thought they got rid of the mercury, and that affected the taste. Was it the dolphin that tasted so good? I think Costco-Kirkland must still have it, because that is the best.
Old 01-04-14, 11:01 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26434 Post(s)
Liked 10,394 Times in 7,219 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.