Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Is my sleeping bag not good enough?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 09:46 PM
mymorningjacket

Bikes: Norco Threshold, Masi Giramondo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Teton Trailhead +20f/-7c. Took it out for the first time last night camping. I was woken up at 4am because I was too cold. I was wearing a longsleeve wool shirt and underarmour long johns. I had to put on another pair of pants and use my sleeping liner. When I got home I checked the weather and it was only about 7 Celsius, which makes me worry.
My sleeping bag says its lightweight. Its about 2 pounds or so which is nice, but I'm worried for my upcoming tour that it wont be very effective.
It also takes up a lot of space in my pannier even though I use a compression bag.
Does anyone have any experience with this bag? or any reccomendations for a replacement??
Thanks!
Old 06-05-17, 09:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Sleeping bag temp range info is only a guideline.

It's one of those cases "your mileage may vary".

Things like dampness, what kind of ground pad you used, your own size and weight, and the size of your tent will all affect how warm you are in a sleeping bag.

IME - the same bag has felt warm on some cold nights, and not so warm on warmer nights. It's the same as with clothing, the outside temp may be the same, and you may dress the same, but you won't always feel the same.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-05-17, 10:05 PM
mymorningjacket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Things like dampness, what kind of ground pad you used, your own size and weight, and the size of your tent will all affect how warm you are in a sleeping bag.
I have a one man Eureka Midori and a Klymit Static V.
Old 06-05-17, 10:13 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
There are no official objective methods of rating sleeping bags in America. EU is working on a system which is getting out there, but not common yet.

Most traditional ratings are what an adult man sleeping in long underwear on top of a proper pad should feel comfortable to. Therefore, it can vary quite a bit from person to person. I generally pick one that is 15-20F lower than the lowest temp I will generally expect to be out in. I use a 25F bag for Michigan summers, where nights can easily drop down to the high 40s. If it is warmer, I just leave it unzipped.
Old 06-05-17, 10:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by mymorningjacket
My point wasn't about the specific details as much as about the variables.

For example, if you under eat you don't produce as much body heat and can start to chill in the early AM as the fuel runs dry.

OTOH - if you're too well insulated early on when outside temps are higher, you might start sweating in your bag, which dampens it and lowers insulation. Then you have a compromised bag when the temps drop and get chilled.

So, one test may not be enough, you may want to try it under various conditions and dial in how to layer, and how it will perform under various conditions. Then you may decide it's OK for your needs, or that you need more.

But neither I, not anyone else can answer that for you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-06-17, 02:10 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the question should be, i would think is, "how am i going to determine whether ANY new bag i get will be warmer than the one i have, which is not warm enough?".

and in general, "the higher the loft the warmer" is about the best i can do. so i would take my old bag to whatever store i thought had the best deals on down bags, and lay the old bad next to the new bag, and then ask 10-12 customers, at random , which one looked like it had the most loft.

or something similar...
Old 06-06-17, 07:07 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
All I can say is what can you expect for $70 (prices I saw on eBay for that bag)?

Check out the EN 13537 rating system. Decent bags will have that, and will also have a substantially higher price tag.

A quilt might give a better weight to warmth ratio, and could save some money, but you won't have features like a zip and a hood. There's always a trade-off. Just as in the down vs synthetic question. (One of those is always better, until it isn't.)

If you don't spend money on a good bag now, you will probably spend much more on a succession of cheaper bags. When I finally, after decades of inferior stuff, bought a decent bag, I wanted to kick myself for waiting so long. When I think of all those cold nights, maybe a dollar a night would have meant such a difference.
Old 06-06-17, 07:42 AM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another issue is what you ate for dinner. If heavy on carbs, fruits and veggies you will burn through those energy sources quickly and wake up cold in the early a.m. Add some days and protein. These take longer to convert to energy and you stay warmer longer. In Boy Scouts training for cold weather camping (anything less than 50F) the following analogy is used: carbs, fruits, and veggies are like kindling --burns hot and fast, but out quickly. Protein and fats are the big logs -- not quite so hot but will go all night.
Cheers!
Old 06-06-17, 07:57 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
So, one test may not be enough, you may want to try it under various conditions and dial in how to layer, and how it will perform under various conditions. Then you may decide it's OK for your needs, or that you need more.

But neither I, not anyone else can answer that for you.
that certainly reflects my camping experiences, and as a skinny feller, I can certainly relate to needing warmer clothing/sleeping bags and how I feel at night compared to other "higher R factor" folks in both sleeping and outdoor activities in general.

I've also found dampness to be a big factor in sleeping (dis) comfort. A camping spot down in a hollow, near a river with tons of dew, a bit of a breeze, perhaps your fly a bit loose, letting in cold, damp air in the night, your tent mesh design--can all make a diff ending up in a cold 4am period.

what sort of temps are you expecting for your trip, and where and when is it?
Old 06-06-17, 08:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wear more clothes to bed if you sleep cold in it. (reads like you did that , later)
Old 06-06-17, 09:10 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sűrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There's your problem. Look for a pad with a R value of around 3 or more.
Old 06-06-17, 11:02 AM
sculbertson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many good points already listed above. Another possibility that I didn't see mentioned has to do with the type and quality of the insulation in the bag. I also see you use a compression sack. Insulation materials respond differently to compression and some take a long time to retain their full loft and provide their full insulating power. As a general rule, I understand it is a bad practice to leave your sleeping bag compressed when storing between trips.
Old 06-06-17, 11:18 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Erick L
There's your problem. Look for a pad with a R value of around 3 or more.
An uninsulated pad will let the ground suck the warmth out of you. It's not pleasant. You might want a little more insulation to keep you warm. You can buy another pad, or you can use a supplemental closed cell foam pad. When it comes to real cold weather camping, I'll use an insulated air mattress and a Thermarest SOLite underneath. It's enough to keep me warm down to about 0, with an appropriate sleeping bag.
Old 06-06-17, 11:27 AM
mymorningjacket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
what sort of temps are you expecting for your trip, and where and when is it?
I'm traveling from Vancouver, North through Whistler, Jasper, Banff and ending up in Calgary.
I imagine tempatures will certainly get a lot lower the more North I go. I leave in 2 weeks.
Old 06-06-17, 11:31 AM
jefnvk

Look up what the weather is now in those places and use that as a guide. The temps wont be changing significantly in the next two weeks, and if it does, it will more than likely be for the warmer.
Old 06-06-17, 11:37 AM
mymorningjacket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sculbertson
I understand it is a bad practice to leave your sleeping bag compressed when storing between trips.
THats not good; I've kept it in a compression bag for about 4 months since I bought it. Maybe this ruined the bag and I should cut my losses and ask for a swap from teton.
Old 06-06-17, 11:42 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I saw this thread but don't have time to read the posts. I toured Wisconsin with one of the very first Quallofil bags, 1975. I was 6'1/2' tall and bought the considerably lighter regular bag for up to 6'. Way cold the first night. (Below freezing, October in Wisconsin.) Wore all my clothes the next and started paying real attention to fluffing the bag every time I moved. It worked and I slept well.

My touring philosophy for clothes is simple. If on the coldest, most miserable time of my tour I was not wearing everything I brought, I brought too much. Granted I am older now and like a higher level of pamper but my legs complain more than they used to if I go to far in that direction.

Ben
Old 06-06-17, 11:47 AM
mymorningjacket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
=GAJett;19634855 the following analogy is used: carbs, fruits, and veggies are like kindling --burns hot and fast, but out quickly. Protein and fats are the big logs -- not quite so hot but will go all night.
Cheers!
Thank you, this is very useful

Last edited by mymorningjacket; 06-06-17 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-06-17, 11:47 AM
jefnvk

THats not good; I've kept it in a compression bag for about 4 months since I bought it. Maybe this ruined the bag and I should cut my losses and ask for a swap from teton.
If it is compressed, toss it in a large dryer with no heat. Some people toss in tennis balls, too. Should fluff it back out to some degree.
Old 06-06-17, 01:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
If it is compressed, toss it in a large dryer with no heat. Some people toss in tennis balls, too. Should fluff it back out to some degree.
this will help a lot you will find. I recently washed and low tumble dried my bag (a synthetic one also) after a long trip and was reminded again how a wash and good tumbling fluffs it up (and its pretty old).

As a rule, sleeping bags, self inflate thermorest type campmats etc, all should not be stored squished all up.
Old 06-06-17, 06:51 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

Use a dryer sheet too.
Old 06-10-17, 09:21 AM
kosciuszkod1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you using a mat? You also need insulation underneath the bag. Try down socks and a hat too
Old 06-10-17, 10:57 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you replace look at Enlightened Equipment. They will do ASAP orders.
Old 06-10-17, 02:01 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Old 06-10-17, 02:46 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with this bag? or any reccomendations for a replacement??
I don't, but I've looked at Amazon's reviews and there is a consensus about temperature rating being misleading. Most would say it is a 40F+ bag. One comment said that the 20F is not a comfort, but a "survivability" rating...

1. You can get warmer with a liner, also useful to keep your sleeping bag clean. Supposedly adds 5F.

2. You can wrap yourself in a reusable thermal blanket. Probably another 5F.

3. Wear a woolen cap.

Have a great trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.