Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Knee pain

Old 11-17-19, 07:41 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Knee pain

Is riding a different bike nearly everyday making my knees hurt ?
Can going from a Standard framed bike to a crank forward bike and back cause knee pain ?
Anyone else experience this problem ?

Last edited by OldCruiser; 11-17-19 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-18-19, 07:41 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I'd guess the low seat height on typical cruisers could hurt your knees if pedaling hard (mashing) for any length of time. For one thing, the legs don't get full extension, which isn't a bad thing for slow casual pedaling. But as soon as you add power to it for a while . . .

In my case, my knee left knee was giving me real trouble a few months ago on my bikes with regular seat heights. Of course, it didn't help that my left knee has a sports injury from my youth.

Right now my 54 y.o. knees feel good. What seems to have fixed it is raising my seats another 1" or so to get my legs properly extended and mash the pedals less by either picking a lower gear ratio, or accelerate more slowly (easily) until I can get the bike pedals into "spin" range. Also, riding every other day helps my knees recover after a ride better.

Not sure how much this applies to cruisers, as even my cantilever frame cruiser had the seat set high.
Old 11-18-19, 10:31 AM
2old

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Agreed that seat height is paramount for individuals with any type of knee problem (one knee injured playing basketball as a collegian). I've never had a "crank forward" bike, but imagine it's not the best pedaling position except for leisurely rides.
Old 11-18-19, 03:54 PM
OldCruiser

I’ve played with the seat height . With my short legs , I’m on my tiptoes when sitting on the saddle stopped with my Electras .
I’ve changed out the rear cog on my Matte Bark C1 for a 24 tooth . The front chainring is a 44 . I spinout around 10 mph , but it’s so much easier peddling up a hill now .
like you guy say , it’s a cruiser bike , I’m not in a hurry when I’m riding . With the lower gear ratio I do a lot more spinning which will hopefully be better on the knees .

I was just wondering if the changing the angle I’m pedaling when I go from a conventional framed bike and a crank forward bike has an effect on my knees . If I stick with the crank forward I don’t usually have a problem with my knees .
I’m still going talk with my doctor next month .
Old 11-19-19, 12:15 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
My feet are not flat by any stretch on my cruiser. If they were then I couldnt get a good extension and thats tough on the knees even with the 34 tooth megarange.
If youre getting proper extension the change in position shouldnt matter as much. My .02
Old 11-26-19, 12:55 PM
Nighttrain

Bikes: Pinarello Prince that's cracked at the bb weld

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Replicating as near as possible the seat height and crank arm length between different bikes is the only way I can keep my knee from hurting more than normal. I finally had a total knee replacement a year ago.
Old 11-26-19, 03:14 PM
OldCruiser

I’ve changed out my seatpost clamps for the quick release type so it’ll be easier to adjust the height . I’ve lowered the seats to where I can sit on the saddles and touch the ground at least with my toes .
I had to cut the seatpost on my Rockhopper 3/4” to lower it . The seatpost was bottomed out when I bought it and it was too high .
Took four of them out for test rides afterward for 7 miles total and the knees felt better than they did after a 6.5 mile ride on my Roll two days ago .
I think had the saddles too high on all of them .
On the crank forward bikes I should be able to touch the ground seated . Before I was pushing off and then getting up on the saddle .
I don’t remember having this problem before I got to reading stuff on bike fitment . I need Togo back to what feels good to me .
Hopefully , I’ve got this thing figured out .
Old 11-26-19, 05:56 PM
Nighttrain

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
5-10 degree knee bend at the bottom of the pedal stroke has always worked for me. The length of the cranks spec’d by the manufacturers to match the frame size are usually good enough. If you had to cut a seat post then you may have to go with shorter cranks to avoid too much knee bend at the top of your pedal stroke.

I had to change to shorter cranks on my MTB and road bikes after all the knee surgeries.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-19, 07:01 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by Nighttrain
. If you had to cut a seat post then you may have to go with shorter cranks to avoid too much knee bend at the top of your pedal stroke.
between my short inseam and 29” wheels on my Rockhopper, it was the fit of the medium size bike frame that made it difficult to touch the ground sitting on the saddle
actually, after cutting the seatpost, the Rockhopper with its super low gearing seemed the be the easiest on the knees .
Old 11-27-19, 05:03 PM
OldCruiser

Just a short update .
I’ve been riding my Roll the last couple of days and the knees are getting better .
today I check my seat height while riding by putting my heel on the pedal and checking my leg position at the pedal’s lowest point . My leg was straight with my heel fully planted on the pedal . That’s where I read it’s supposed to be be ,
Think I’ve got figured out now .
Old 11-27-19, 06:45 PM
Nighttrain

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
Just a short update .
I’ve been riding my Roll the last couple of days and the knees are getting better .
today I check my seat height while riding by putting my heel on the pedal and checking my leg position at the pedal’s lowest point . My leg was straight with my heel fully planted on the pedal . That’s where I read it’s supposed to be be ,
Think I’ve got figured out now .
Do you drop your heels below the spindle when pedaling with resistance?
Old 11-27-19, 06:51 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by Nighttrain
Do you drop your heels below the spindle when pedaling with resistance?
no , I don’t think so .
When I’m not checking my seat height , my feet are between my arch and ball of my foot on platform pedals . This gives me a slight bend in my knee at the lowest point .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 12-15-19, 05:01 PM
OldCruiser

Since the weather has dictated when I ride, I haven’t been able to ride every day .
I’ve been riding either my crank forward single speed cruiser with the 24 tooth cog on the rear or my seven speed Electra Fat Tire bike with the crank forward .
Yesterday I took out my Rockhopper with conventional crank position and my knees started bothering me again . Not bad , but I could tell a difference.
Today , I went back to the seven speed Fat Tire Cruiser and this evening my knees are back to hurting again .
I think it’s from changing back and forth between crank forward and conventional cranking .
I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. I’m going to ask what she thinks about it .
as for now , I think I need to stick with one or the other .
Old 12-15-19, 06:39 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Work has interfered with my riding. I hadn't ridden in a week until this morning. My left knee didn't like it at all. Spraining my left thigh above my knee at work on Thursday didn't help things either.
Old 12-15-19, 07:31 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Work has interfered with my riding. I hadn't ridden in a week until this morning. My left knee didn't like it at all. Spraining my left thigh above my knee at work on Thursday didn't help things either.
I feel your pain . I’m still aching in places leftover from crash on Halloween. Especially the wrists .
Don't know how old you are but , in my case if I don’t ride at least every other day , it’s almost like starting over .
Old 12-15-19, 11:09 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Another thing to consider is braking on the crank forward bikes. I fo...und it to cause considerable strain on my damaged knees and more of a reason to upgrade to the D7 with good hand brakes than the gearing....but I wanted the gears as well/
Old 12-15-19, 11:28 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by JehD
Another thing to consider is braking on the crank forward bikes. I fo...und it to cause considerable strain on my damaged knees and more of a reason to upgrade to the D7 with good hand brakes than the gearing....but I wanted the gears as well/
I rarely use the coaster brake on my C1’s . I’ve installed front caliper brakes on both of them . I use the coaster as an emergency brake if I need to stop in a hurry , I’ll lock both wheels down . Extends the life of the rear hub .
Old 12-16-19, 07:31 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by kirby999
I feel your pain . I’m still aching in places leftover from crash on Halloween. Especially the wrists .
Don't know how old you are but , in my case if I don’t ride at least every other day , it’s almost like starting over .
I'll be 55 in a couple months. My user name happens to be my birth year with the numbers flipped.

I need to ride at least 3 times per week to be able to ride well. My workload has increased due to end of year equipment sales. A banner November and December this year, that's for sure!
Old 12-16-19, 11:37 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by FiftySix
I'll be 55 in a couple months. My user name happens to be my birth year with the numbers flipped.

I need to ride at least 3 times per week to be able to ride well. My workload has increased due to end of year equipment sales. A banner November and December this year, that's for sure!
I’m 68 1/2 . At 55 I could do just about anything I wanted to do and if I over did it , it only took one recovery day and I was back at it .
Not so now days . It’s been six weeks since my little crash and I’m still feeling the effects of it .
BTW , I talked to my doctor today about switching between bike designs and once I explained to her the difference, she agreed switching from crank forward to standard design could have an effect on my knees . Using different muscles .
Old 12-16-19, 07:23 PM
Nighttrain

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I’ve had a lot of knee surgeries. Spin an easy gear and keep your seat adjusted correctly.
Likes For Nighttrain:
Old 12-16-19, 09:50 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Yeeouch!
Old 12-17-19, 09:50 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
Holy sh*t Nighttrain!! Get your surgeon to install a zipper or velcro flap or something that gives him easier access.
Old 12-17-19, 10:02 AM
Nighttrain

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Holy sh*t Nighttrain!! Get your surgeon to install a zipper or velcro flap or something that gives him easier access.
That was the 7th and hopefully final knee surgery last November....Total Knee Replacement.
Likes For Nighttrain:
Old 12-17-19, 10:15 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
Is that 7 on one knee or total on both knees?
Old 12-17-19, 01:40 PM
Nighttrain

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Is that 7 on one knee or total on both knees?
7 surgeries on the left knee, none on right knee. Left hip replaced 3-July’18. The right hip will be replaced on New Years Eve in two weeks. I’ve more carbon and titanium in my legs than on my bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.