Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Enforcement - How to deal with harassment from people driving cars?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Enforcement - How to deal with harassment from people driving cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 08:18 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Perfect example of my previous response, happened today. I'm cresting a blind hill that I know well (especially for car shenanigans). Making speed in the big ring and mid cassette. Taking the lane to prevent close passes. Topping the hill, coming the opposite way, are a couple on beach cruisers, leading a pack of cars. BUT, they take a far right orientation. Woman motorist, looked in 50's, straddles the dammed double yellow and squeezes her pickup between the two lines of cyclists. Not only passing blindly, coming way too close BY LAW, but nearly clipping the female rider AND vehicle behind me!

Wish the other cyclists had held their lane... then the mad bovine pickup driver couldn't pull that dumb bass maneuver
Why the lives of at least four people were held less dear than her hurry, is beyond me....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 01-05-20, 02:48 PM
whitecat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I had an interesting interaction today. Last week, a motorist inadvertently put me a little danger...I caught up and had a friendly chat with him about how to safely pass a cyclist. Today the same guy passed me - very broadly, and with a friendly wave. Now I've got one more friend out there.

'Course, if I were whitecat , I would've beaten him senseless during our first interaction, and now I'd be in jail and hence unable to make new friends.
Thank you for the kind mention, but you really shouldnt. Since you cant distinquish between an bad but not deliberate action of the driver or the driver that is hell bent on hitting you on purpose, I would advise you staying aways from driving on the roads because you might indeed be beating down an innocent person.

If you cannot differentiate an situation that is benign from the situation that requires force, better stay away from driving.
Old 01-05-20, 02:54 PM
whitecat

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
OK, Superman. You're actually proposing punching cars?

If someone is actually trying to kill me with their car, I fail to see how my fists are going to be useful. Self-defense in that context can only mean either deadly force or evasion. I'm not carrying the means to defend violently against the driver of a moving vehicle, so evasion is my only rational defense.

Pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about. These may be the stupidest posts I've ever seen.
I am no superman, I dont know where you got that. But if someone is out of nowhere aiming at me with their car, screaming insults for no reason and not letting up, yes, then were talking justified self defense by any means.

Yeah, you are very sure I do not know what Im talking about, hehe. You seem to know it all. So be it.

However, I was in a similar situation twice over some 15 yrs of riding, and every time I prevailed. Hint: get them out of their veichle. Then the playing field is leveled.
Old 01-05-20, 03:01 PM
whitecat

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I pretty much ignore it now days because this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=road...hrome&ie=UTF-8
So if someone says "Ill shoot you", you keep standing there, there is a high probability of it happening. If she however, charged him the instant he said that, she might have some chance. Not important with what, keys, bare hands, whatever, but jump for his throat as your life depends on it. Because it does. When someone threatens your life you do not sit there and wait, you react, now.

On the other hand, for a few other posters that seems to fail basic reading comprehension, you DO NOT do that is somebdy is honking or flipoing you off or some stupidity like that. Just to be clear, that would be just insane to act like that.
Old 01-05-20, 04:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecat
I am no superman, I dont know where you got that. But if someone is out of nowhere aiming at me with their car, screaming insults for no reason and not letting up, yes, then were talking justified self defense by any means.

Yeah, you are very sure I do not know what Im talking about, hehe. You seem to know it all. So be it.

However, I was in a similar situation twice over some 15 yrs of riding, and every time I prevailed. Hint: get them out of their veichle. Then the playing field is leveled.

Yeah, I am sure that totally happened.
Old 01-05-20, 05:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
I had an interesting interaction today. Last week, a motorist inadvertently put me a little danger...I caught up and had a friendly chat with him about how to safely pass a cyclist. Today the same guy passed me - very broadly, and with a friendly wave. Now I've got one more friend out there.

'Course, if I were whitecat , I would've beaten him senseless during our first interaction, and now I'd be in jail and hence unable to make new friends.
Thank you for the kind mention, but you really shouldnt. Since you cant distinquish between an bad but not deliberate action of the driver or the driver that is hell bent on hitting you on purpose, I would advise you staying aways from driving on the roads because you might indeed be beating down an innocent person.

If you cannot differentiate an situation that is benign from the situation that requires force, better stay away from driving.
Actually, my post made it quite clear that I am able to distinguish (note the correct spelling of this word) between a motorist who accidentally endangers me and a motorist who is "hell bent" on hitting me on purpose. I was able to have a productive conversation with this motorist precisely because I identified him as the former.

In fact, in about 17 years and about 70,000 miles of serious riding, I don't think I have ever encountered a motorist who has been "hell bent" on running me over. The fact that you think some motorists are this motivated to kill you is evidence of your self-absorption and paranoia.

'Course, you are probably just a typical internet blowhard who shrinks from confrontations...So it's pretty hard to take your comments seriously. If you were really as aggressive as you claim, you would be in a prison that doesn't allow internet privileges.

Last edited by Koyote; 01-05-20 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-05-20, 06:00 PM
Koyote

So if someone says "Ill shoot you", you keep standing there, there is a high probability of it happening. If she however, charged him the instant he said that, she might have some chance. Not important with what, keys, bare hands, whatever, but jump for his throat as your life depends on it. Because it does. When someone threatens your life you do not sit there and wait, you react, now.

On the other hand, for a few other posters that seems to fail basic reading comprehension, you DO NOT do that is somebdy is honking or flipoing you off or some stupidity like that. Just to be clear, that would be just insane to act like that.
Pretty funny assertion, coming from a poster who wasn't able to put together a single sentence without a spelling or grammatical error.
Old 01-11-20, 06:38 PM
whitecat

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I am sure that totally happened.
Yeah, I really give a rats ass as to what you are sure of.
Old 01-11-20, 06:41 PM
whitecat

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Actually, my post made it quite clear that I am able to distinguish (note the correct spelling of this word) between a motorist who accidentally endangers me and a motorist who is "hell bent" on hitting me on purpose. I was able to have a productive conversation with this motorist precisely because I identified him as the former.

In fact, in about 17 years and about 70,000 miles of serious riding, I don't think I have ever encountered a motorist who has been "hell bent" on running me over. The fact that you think some motorists are this motivated to kill you is evidence of your self-absorption and paranoia.

'Course, you are probably just a typical internet blowhard who shrinks from confrontations...So it's pretty hard to take your comments seriously. If you were really as aggressive as you claim, you would be in a prison that doesn't allow internet privileges.
Ofc, you are probably just a typical internet shrimp who shrinks from punching someone when they deserve it... but dont judge others by your fears and shortcomings.

FYI, who gives a f about spelling, the meaning is obvious and you FAILED to comprehend...
Old 01-11-20, 06:43 PM
whitecat

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Pretty funny assertion, coming from a poster who wasn't able to put together a single sentence without a spelling or grammatical error.
Yeah, its pretty funny when you CANNOT COMPREHEND so you nitpick on spelling. HAHA
Old 01-11-20, 07:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Anyone else's ignore list just go up one more name?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-11-20, 08:17 PM
Koyote

Anyone else's ignore list just go up one more name?
Yup.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-11-20, 08:55 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Too much arguing. Adios!