Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sunrace/Suntour/Shimano compatability question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 12:58 PM
dishesisdone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a Trek 750 Multitrack that I'm changing up most parts on. I've got a mixed bag of parts to work with and wanted to double check the compatibility. Here's what I've got...

-Sunrace SLR96 bar end shifters. Right is 9 speed (index) and left is 3 speed (friction).
-Suntour XCE front and rear derailleurs (came stock on the bike).
-Shimano HG31 8 speed cassette 11/34
-Suntour XCE 48/38/28 chainrings (came stock on the bike).

My questions...
-It is my understanding from things I found online that this combination will most likely not work out? If not, is it just one of the derailleurs or both that would not shift properly?
-I have a Shimano Altus M310 rear derailleur and a Shimano Tourney front derailleur that I can pull off of a broken, partially stripped bike that I don't know anything about. Point being, I'm not sure what style shifters they used to be connected to. Would 1 or both of these derailleurs definitely work with my Sunrace shifters (friction in front, index in rear)?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dishesisdone; 01-26-20 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-26-20, 01:18 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
I’m assuming you are planning on pairing the Sunrace 9 speed shifter with a (Shimano compatible) 9 speed cassette?

The SunTour XCE rear derailleur is not likely to index correctly across all 9 cogs. The Altus M310 might - hopefully someone familiar with this RD can speak to this.
Old 01-26-20, 01:42 PM
dishesisdone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I’m assuming you are planning on pairing the Sunrace 9 speed shifter with a (Shimano compatible) 9 speed cassette?

The SunTour XCE rear derailleur is not likely to index correctly across all 9 cogs. The Altus M310 might - hopefully someone familiar with this RD can speak to this.
I have a Shimano HG31 8 speed I was planning to use.
Old 01-26-20, 01:56 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
The index function of the 9 speed shifter wants to match up with a 9 speed cassette. The HG31 is not likely to index perfectly unfortunately.

Can the Sunrace rear shifter run in friction mode?
Old 01-26-20, 03:46 PM
dishesisdone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
The index function of the 9 speed shifter wants to match up with a 9 speed cassette. The HG31 is not likely to index perfectly unfortunately.

Can the Sunrace rear shifter run in friction mode?
Ahh, damn. I was told it would probably be fine with the right calibration but right after I posted that reply I did more reading and can't find anything supporting that it would work out. Sunrace rear is index only.

So with the Sunrace shifters off the table, I can assume that any Shimano compatible shifters I get probably won't work with my Suntour derailleurs? I'm thinking I should swap in those Shimano derailleurs and get new shifters.
Old 01-26-20, 06:05 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
A Suntour rear derailleur with shimano compatible indexed shifters is a crap shoot according to many. I don't pretend to know what combinations work. Your XCE derailleur is listed on VeloBase as accushift. I combined a 7 speed shimano indexed downtube shifter with an accushift Alpha 3000 derailleur and it works great. Whether you go with a new 9 speed cassette or an 8 speed shimano compatible shifter you could try the suntour derailleur. You have nothing to lose. As to the front derailleur, there's really no reason to change it out as long as the shifter you use is friction, except for aesthetics of course..
Old 01-28-20, 08:14 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by dishesisdone
-I have a Shimano Altus M310 rear derailleur and a Shimano Tourney front derailleur that I can pull off of a broken, partially stripped bike that I don't know anything about. Point being, I'm not sure what style shifters they used to be connected to. Would 1 or both of these derailleurs definitely work with my Sunrace shifters (friction in front, index in rear)?
The RD-M310 derailleur will index correctly with Shimano 7/8/9-speed shifters. If you put an 8-speed shifter for Shimano systems with that RD-M310 derailleur, it should index on that 8-speed cassette correctly. This derailleur (the M310) should work correctly with your Sunrace SLR96 shifter in terms of correct cable pull ratio, but you'd want to use a 9-speed cassette to match the 9-speed shifter.
Old 01-28-20, 01:06 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by dishesisdone
Ahh, damn. I was told it would probably be fine with the right calibration but right after I posted that reply I did more reading and can't find anything supporting that it would work out. Sunrace rear is index only.

So with the Sunrace shifters off the table, I can assume that any Shimano compatible shifters I get probably won't work with my Suntour derailleurs? I'm thinking I should swap in those Shimano derailleurs and get new shifters.
If you have a wheel that an 8 speed cassette would fit, a nine speed cassette would also fit. Then you just need a 9sp chain, and the Shimano derailleur should index perfectly with the Sunrace shifters.

If the shifters are index only I can't think of any combination of the parts you listed that would work. You'll need to buy at least a cassette and chain. Or find a set of 8 speed shifters.
Old 01-28-20, 02:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check to be sure that SunRace SLR96 right/rear shifter is index only or has micro-click detents that hold more securely than friction. If it's just click-detents, it'll work the same as friction. (Rivendell used to sell those singly and says it's micro-click detents, not true indexed.)

Cheapest solutions to making those components as compatible as possible:
  • Get a right-hand/rear derailleur bar-end shifter only (if the SunRace SLR96 really is index only).
  • For now, swap out both bar-end shifters and try the cheap but effective SunRace SLM10 thumb shifters. Friction only but with those micro-click detents. They look and feel cheap but they're durable and work really well. You can buy 'em for only $10-$15, which includes cheap but functional galvanized cable and low end but functional cable housing (usually Shimano brand). I used 'em on a hybrid after the original index-only Shimano early 1990s thumb shifters broke (yup, even the left/front thumbie was index only, no friction alternative). With riser bars I mounted the SLM10 as thumb shifters near the grips. With an albatross bar I mounted them closer to the stem. Worked fine while I was deciding whether to keep the albatross bar -- which I did. Then I installed Shimano bar-end shifters, a good ergonomic match for swept bars.
  • Try a SunRace cassette, the 8-speed CSR86. I've used various nickel or chromed SunRace freewheels and cassettes with Shimano and Suntour derailleurs and shifters. The tooth design and polished cogs ensure the SunRace freewheels and cassettes shift crispy and run quietly, even when the spacing between cogs isn't perfect for my Suntour rear derailleurs. I tweak the barrel adjuster to favor quietest operation in the cogs I use most often. This tends to result in slight drivetrain noise in the smallest cog, but I'm seldom in the big chainring and smallest cog unless I'm pedaling down hill rather than coasting.
Old 01-28-20, 10:46 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Front should work in friction mode. No problem. It will actually save you lots of pain related to adjusting it.

As people said, the rear will not work.
  • SL-BS64 Shimano (probably discontinued, you still may be able to source them somewhere) or 8s Microshift https://www.microshift.com/en/product/bs-a08-bs-t08/ should work with Shimano RD. You only need the right one if you can tolerate mismatched shifters.
  • A more exotic solution: your shifters will allegedly work with an 8 speed cassette with a pre-1997 Dura-Ace RD: https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-l...imergo#Shimano This is not ideal, and it will probably lack the needed chain wrap capacity (Dura-Ace is "road", it has shorter cage).
  • As people said, get a 9 speed chain and cassette. Your M310 RD may or may not work well.
  • Or run 8s in friction mode.
  • Or employ some other solution people suggested.
Having said that, why not give Suntour RD a shot? It may have a different cable pull ratio, and who knows if it coincides with old Dura-Ace?
Old 01-30-20, 06:05 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
750 came in an all Suntour version in a few models. If you have a Suntour hub, you cannot put a Shimano cassette on it.

FWIW, I've had luck running Suntour shifters with Shimano derailleurs, so the opposite might work also. Shimano rears have floating pulleys though, and that might make the difference.