Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM Red Yaw Throwing Chain off front help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-21-14, 03:41 PM
clones2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having an issue with my SRAM Red YAW Derailleur throwing the chain off over the front big chainring when shifting.

TWO THINGS

1) What limit screw do I turn to fix this?

2) If I re-click the left shifter - the front derailleur shifts about 1/2cm back to the left and settles right over the middle of the big chainring right where it should be.

I can then shift back to the small ring... What's going on here? Thanks.
Old 03-21-14, 04:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
3rd one of those posted as being difficult to figure out

you shouldn't have to touch the stroke limit screws, may be in over your head touching it

if you must ask
1) What limit screw do I turn to fix this?
If its near new drop back by the shop you bought it from.
Old 03-21-14, 04:30 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1 . You can try turning the (H) screw clockwise 1/8-1/4 turn at a time until the chain doesn't jump the chainring . 2. might be a trim function just to do that ,so there no chain rub on the cage as you switch gears in the back , it move the derailleur a little bit instead of full move which would drop the chain on the lower gear .
Old 03-21-14, 04:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,346 Posts
I adjust all front derailleurs the same basic way. I start by properly positioning. Then rough set limits, inner and outer, by manually shifting (push down on the cable arm. Then string the cable, and fine tune the limits by shifting using the cable like a bowstring (still not using the levers). Lastly, set the cable trim for proper shifting. The cable trim will vary according to the system, for instance whether the lever has a trim position or not.

In any case, once limits are properly set via the bow string method, I very rarely have need to revisit except sometimes for inner chainring trim.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-21-14, 06:05 PM
clones2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am an idiot I guess... I had to take it apart and re-install it. 3rd time was the charm! I can now get through every gear without any chain rub - and my front shift is fine for now. Better than before. Maybe there's hope for me yet... These limit screws are much more sensitive than I thought they would be

Last edited by clones2; 03-21-14 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-22-14, 06:31 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Just in case it isn't yet clear, pre Yaw SRAM shifters have a trim position for the big ring. You shift from the small to the big, and the first subsequent click of the shifter moves the FD inward a bit to eliminate rub in the bigger cogs. The next click shifts to the small ring. Or, after shifting to the big ring, you can push the shifter through the two clicks with one motion to shift directly to the small ring. The YAW FD is intended to eliminate the need for the trim position and so newer YAW specific shifters don't have it.