Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Was this cheating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 07:05 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Was this cheating?

Just a question in the past Tour De France with Lance Armstrong.

It is the question of the one where Lance avoids crashing with another rider by cutting across a field to the road on other side? how come this was let go, did he get a time penalty for this? since he cut the course?

Here is the link to this

So tell me more about this. since he did take a lead over other riders on this stage?
Old 02-24-15, 07:08 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
As I remember it, he was forced off the road to avoid the crash. Therefore no penalty was assessed.
Old 02-24-15, 07:09 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
oh god
Old 02-24-15, 07:14 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No penalty because he didn't benefit from the shortcut (he ended up further back than he would have been otherwise).

Beloki on the other hand received a significant penalty. Part of his leg is still embedded in the tarmac, which is why that turn has henceforth been called the "Beloki femur."
Old 02-24-15, 09:35 PM
Christobevii3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on, of all things to judge lance on cheat is cutting out 100 yards for crash avoidance 12 years later?
Old 02-24-15, 10:32 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Christobevii3
Come on, of all things to judge lance on cheat is cutting out 100 yards for crash avoidance 12 years later?

Perhaps it was a legitimate question, given the fact that the rules do state one cannot shorten the course. Benefit of the doubt to the OP may apply here - the same benefit that Lance was given during this particular stage, for a 'shortening' that was outside his control and deemed to be fair play on his part....

cheers
Old 02-24-15, 10:42 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I believe... according to official records... Lance wasn't in that race.
Old 02-24-15, 11:39 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
oh god
indeed.

the answer is both no and 41/217.

my race videos
Old 02-24-15, 11:50 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I believe there were multiple cycling-cap DQs in that race. There's no rule that says you can't ride the fast way down the switchbacks.
Old 02-24-15, 11:54 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
In racing (on topic) anything done in front of and allowed by the officials - is not cheating (unless of course, they were paid off).
Old 02-25-15, 08:04 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
No penalty because he didn't benefit from the shortcut (he ended up further back than he would have been otherwise).
This sums it up.

I'm sure the commissaires spent time discussing it after the race. They may even have fined him 50 Euros.

I've sat in on those juries that take place immediately after the finish where they dissect every little thing that happened in the stage. Sometimes it becomes a competition among officials to show how much they know.

And this little run-off would give them tons of fodder. They'd call up every single rule that applies and then debate it for several minutes before declaring it a non-violation.
Old 02-25-15, 08:55 AM
Doge

Seem lately that these rules are frequently cited at the starting line, just before the race almost to get the rider nervous, then nothing done. It develops a big callous as to really listening to rules that will be enforced.
Racers learn what they are allowed to do and do that - not what the rules

Maybe in 12 years they will nullify his race wins when they see this on video, with an official allowing it - it can't be cheating.

Examples:
-Right before the TT start in VOS - referee to my son. "Is there any reason your bars are not round?, Rules state no clip on or aero bars." (they do state that). Same type of bars he used last year. He was allowed to use them last year, this year - so why ask.
-Big call out on the start line about crinkled number. So we always (400+ races) take the number and put it in a ball and then flatten it out. The primary SoCal promoter decided to call him out on the start line of the State Crit and everyone had to wait about 5 min to start. Then...nothing happened and we all started. And we/he still do the same thing with the numbers.
-"No tolerance on the centerline rule" - I see not being reasonable and allowing crosses on corners and when bumped.
Old 02-25-15, 09:00 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32

So tell me more about this. since he did take a lead over other riders on this stage?
since this is one of the most famous incidents in modern tour history the 'tell me about this' just strikes me as laziness.

and the first one who chimed in with 217 nailed it.
Old 02-25-15, 09:07 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
-Big call out on the start line about crinkled number. So we always (400+ races) take the number and put it in a ball and then flatten it out. The primary SoCal promoter decided to call him out on the start line of the State Crit and everyone had to wait about 5 min to start. Then...nothing happened and we all started. And we/he still do the same thing with the number
Well stop that, then. Crumpling a number is the wrong way to make it lie flat. Stop.
Old 02-25-15, 09:10 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

it makes it hard for the camera to pick up the numbers. learn to pin properly. if you can spend a whole day worrying about what your kid's VO2 max number means surely you can invest enough time to pin him properly.
Old 02-25-15, 09:20 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
There is an official at some of the races that I do that says he will pull people from the race if they crumple their numbers.
Old 02-25-15, 09:38 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I believe there were multiple cycling-cap DQs in that race. There's no rule that says you can't ride the fast way down the switchbacks.
Horner was in violation at Snelling, I should've reported him.

my race videos
Old 02-25-15, 10:07 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
it makes it hard for the camera to pick up the numbers. learn to pin properly. if you can spend a whole day worrying about what your kid's VO2 max number means surely you can invest enough time to pin him properly.
Pinning numbers properly is an advanced racing technique.
Old 02-25-15, 10:09 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by grolby
Well stop that, then. Crumpling a number is the wrong way to make it lie flat. Stop.
It doesn't matter. Things are stopped when they are BOTH rules and enforced.
It is cheating when it is against the rules, known about by the participant and ( hidden from an official OR penalized by the official).

Here are two...which if any are cheating?
1 Son does a TT. I think he has junior gears, he thinks he has junior gears. Officials don't do roll out. Two weeks later I am changing cassette and find its one that was used for training and was not legal.
2 Son does Brentwood crit. He wins. He does rollout. He does podium. He says to me it looked like he failed but the referee didn't say/do anything. I look at home - he does not have junior gears.
Old 02-25-15, 10:10 AM
Doge

We don't use pins only 3m 77.
Old 02-25-15, 10:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

It is cheating when it is against the rules, known about by the participant and ( hidden from an official OR penalized by the official).

1 Son does a TT. I think he has junior gears, he thinks he has junior gears. Officials don't do roll out. Two weeks later I am changing cassette and find its one that was used for training and was not legal.
2 Son does Brentwood crit. He wins. He does rollout. He does podium. He says to me it looked like he failed but the referee didn't say/do anything. I look at home - he does not have junior gears.
shrug. whether it's cheating or not is irrelevant. There's a lesson in here I'd convey to my kid though for sure. And it ain't wink wink nod nod. YMMV.
Old 02-25-15, 10:23 AM
Doge

shrug. whether it's cheating or not is irrelevant. There's a lesson in here I'd convey to my kid though for sure. And it ain't wink wink nod nod. YMMV.
I am curious what that lesson would be. There was no wink wink nod nod. The system is not setup to do anything about it. 15 min later decisions are final.

I taught both of my kids not to be covert and to respect the officials ruling. That goes both ways - when they judge for you and when they judge against you.
Old 02-25-15, 10:23 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
We don't use pins only 3m 77.
USAC

Rule 1J7. Racing numbers.

Hip numbers shall be attached securely at least at the four corners and no accessory or hair may obstruct a clear view of the number.

I use 3M 77 and 4 pins to comply with Rule 1J7. My goal when showing up at the line or technical inspection is to be totally complaint with all the USAC / UCI rules. That way there is no pressure on me at the starting line or during the race to have to debate, discuss or anything else with officials. Sometimes USAC / UCI officials get it wrong but it is up to the racers to be compliant.
Old 02-25-15, 10:30 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My 2 cents, check your bike before you race. Nothing worse than losing a race due to a simple fix. Luckily he's a 1/2, and may refs will "turn the other way" in p/1/2 races at local events. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's very common
Old 02-25-15, 10:31 AM
Doge

Ditto - except we don't follow rules that don't apply to the race - for example UCI rules at Chico SR are not applicable.

My son is compliant with 1J7 - all the rules.
The numbers are not folded - they are flat on his back and very readable. They are not defaced. All corners are firmly attached.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.