Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Clipless pedals

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 06:52 PM
auslo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evilpacket
Hello, I'm new to this forum (and forums in general) so please don't hate if I do something wrong and correct my mistakes.
I own a fixed gear with flat pedals and straps.
I am looking to upgrade to clipless, but I'm reconsidering that now because many people say that mtb pedals (which are the ones I'm looking towards, due to the fact that mtb shoes are easier to walk in.) unclip whenever people skid on their fixed gears.
I tend to skid a lot, since I ride brakeless. So if clipless is unreliable then I wouldn't change to them.
Also, I would like to know if road pedals are more reliable than mtb pedals. (I was looking to get the entry level SPDs', because I don't have tons of money to spend)
Thanks in advance.
Shimano A530 is great for my SS. You can clip in on one side or use the flat opposite side with any normal shoes. I love em. $50 at chainreactioncycles.
Old 02-28-15, 03:18 AM
evilpacket

Bikes: Devgru Fixed gear bike, Stacato road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so I did get exactly what I said earlier I would get, and even in the lowest pedal tension skidding is absolutely effortless, and I highly doubt it would ever unclip while I'm riding. Though road shoes are definately not convenient for clip/unclipping often, when I'm stuck in crowded streets. But that's not something I do often, and for my purposes I think it was an excellent buy, with amazing pedaling efficiency boost and effortless skidding. (Tbh, the click when I clip in every time is very satisfying to hear and feel)
Old 02-28-15, 10:14 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by evilpacket
Okay, so I did get exactly what I said earlier I would get, and even in the lowest pedal tension skidding is absolutely effortless, and I highly doubt it would ever unclip while I'm riding. Though road shoes are definately not convenient for clip/unclipping often, when I'm stuck in crowded streets. But that's not something I do often, and for my purposes I think it was an excellent buy, with amazing pedaling efficiency boost and effortless skidding. (Tbh, the click when I clip in every time is very satisfying to hear and feel)
That click is extremely satisfying. When I hear that, I know that I am good to go, foot is in the absolute proper place, everything is locked down, and I am ready to roll. I have never owned road shoes, so I cannot comment on those. I still use a more urban/mountain bike shoe for comfort and maneuverability off the bike like walking into work, etc.
Old 03-03-15, 11:02 PM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
That click is extremely satisfying. When I hear that, I know that I am good to go, foot is in the absolute proper place, everything is locked down, and I am ready to roll. I have never owned road shoes, so I cannot comment on those. I still use a more urban/mountain bike shoe for comfort and maneuverability off the bike like walking into work, etc.

I have SPD mtn bike pedals too. I also have a more urban looking show with shoelaces. The problem is that most urban looking mtn bike shoes don't have a very tall sole, and so the cleat isn't as recessed into the sole as a more racy mtn bike shoe. This is a problem because you get off the bike and walk into a store, or wherever and the SPD cleats start scraping the floor.
Old 03-03-15, 11:43 PM
Surly2698

Bikes: Surly steam roller, bear knukle,big block, fbm sword, litespeed swobo sanches

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have not gotten road shoes yet get mountain bike shoes for sure
You can walk much safely if you have to
I have had both and will not go back to road shoes for my fixed gear riding
Old 03-28-15, 01:11 PM
tuxxdk

Bikes: MTB & Road

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tuxxdk
I've never tried walking in roadshoes, but the Specialized MTB SPD shoes I had was a PAIN to walk in. Very hard sole, so no flex and very high profile around the cleats, so I walked like someone who recently shat his pants...

I'm going for straps now. I'd very much like to ride with my normal footwear.
Let me eat every word of that with gravy on it. Just got a pair of Shimano Click'r SPD shoes and I can walk comfortable like if it was any other similar looking shoe.

I never knew such existed, like DZR, Chrome, Five Ten, Shimano Click'r and the likes... if only I knew sooner I could have spared the expensive pedal straps that I started out hating after the first ride :-(
Old 03-28-15, 01:41 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I use my spd sl pedals as flat pedals with normal shoes when I'm really lazy sometimes.
Old 03-28-15, 02:35 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@tuxxdkThat's how shoes are supposed, high profile around the cleat so you can even walk in it in the first place, stiff for power transfer. You must be doing something wrong because I've actually spent a day this week walking around in my cycling shoes because I got to school late and wasn't able to go to my locker and change shoes. I was perfectly fine all day long and had no complaints
Old 03-28-15, 03:35 PM
tuxxdk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thedapperest
@tuxxdkThat's how shoes are supposed, high profile around the cleat so you can even walk in it in the first place, stiff for power transfer. You must be doing something wrong because I've actually spent a day this week walking around in my cycling shoes because I got to school late and wasn't able to go to my locker and change shoes. I was perfectly fine all day long and had no complaints
Nope, nothing wrong, just an experience with the wrong type of shoes as first stated. As written above, the ones I have now feels just like a pair of trainers/sneakers.

With the ones I have now, I don't change shoes at all. No need. The feel and look like normal shoes. The cleat are not raised, instead it's recessed into the sole, so you don't need that high profile around the cleat. 10 million times better than "regular" SPD shoes for everyday life.

When I wrote my first statement, I didn't think such ones existed, because those I had at first felt so stiff and high at the front I felt I walked on reversed high heels that sounded with every step I took and made me walk like I had just shat my pants.
Old 03-28-15, 05:38 PM
SGMongoose

Bikes: Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a pair of those Shimano Click'r shoes as well. they're great. look unassuming and almost as comfortable as a running shoe. Just need to make sure to switch out the cleats cause they come with the multi release sh-56 cleats.

I also use the Shimano T780 pedals which has a platform on one side
Old 03-28-15, 06:12 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tuxxdk
Nope, nothing wrong, just an experience with the wrong type of shoes as first stated. As written above, the ones I have now feels just like a pair of trainers/sneakers.

With the ones I have now, I don't change shoes at all. No need. The feel and look like normal shoes. The cleat are not raised, instead it's recessed into the sole, so you don't need that high profile around the cleat. 10 million times better than "regular" SPD shoes for everyday life.

When I wrote my first statement, I didn't think such ones existed, because those I had at first felt so stiff and high at the front I felt I walked on reversed high heels that sounded with every step I took and made me walk like I had just shat my pants.
I have somewhat been considering getting shoes like those but from what I've heard if you do a lot of heavy riding like I do you'll tear through them in no time
Old 03-28-15, 06:35 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I sometimes ride Slow Roll in Detroit and Critical mass detroit, 90 percent of the time when somebody falls, its Clipless Pedal Syndrome (-:
Old 03-29-15, 07:43 AM
tuxxdk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I have the 51's on my shoes. I have both the 51 and 56. They came with my T400 and M520 pedals.

I haven't tried the 56 but don't like the idea that they can unclip in any direction.
Old 03-29-15, 04:17 PM
dookie44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There sure is a lot of walking going on for a bicycle forum
Old 03-30-15, 07:23 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffin Man
I use my spd sl pedals as flat pedals with normal shoes when I'm really lazy sometimes.
Same here.

I run SPD SL on my main fixed gear (Wabi) and my geared road bike. Most of my other bikes have MTB style pedals (Crank Brothers).

I used on Crank Bros for years and then once I tried road pedals realized it wasn't that hard to walk in bike shoes with SPD SL. It's certainly easier walking in MTB/commuter shoes but road shoes aren't that bad unless you're on a really well polished smooth surface.