Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Article: Known doper stealing your KOM's

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Article: Known doper stealing your KOM's

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-16, 04:12 PM
TJKnight

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale SuperSix HiMod 2, 2006 Cannondale six13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I knew that guy had to be doping! So is everyone else who is faster than me going up the hillz! U R ALL CHEATERS 4 LIFE!
Old 03-29-16, 09:08 PM
Hot Potato

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my no social media policy really leaves me asking WTF on threads like these. Wait, Bike forums doesn't count as social media, does it?
Old 03-30-16, 12:27 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
That's why I do all Strava KOMs on electrical assit bicycle.
Old 03-30-16, 01:22 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
One of these days someone will commit suicide because they lost a kom thingy, like kids do over facebook posts. Very odd times we live in.
Something the 41 can only dream of.
Old 03-30-16, 09:58 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
What are KOMs?
I thought this was going to be about someone stealing Schwinn KOMs (they are pretty rare mountain bikes) by finding the route they normaly take on strava. But this stuff I didn't even know existed, and that was a few minutes of my life reading this I'll never get back. *sigh*. I use endomondo and keep all my workouts and tracks and whatever on private.
Old 03-30-16, 10:14 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
That's why I do all Strava KOMs on electrical assit bicycle.
That reminds me of a guy who I used to ride with. We lived in a college town and he would show up to the group ride on his wife's electric assist bent (bought so she could keep up with him). He wasn't a bad rider but not up to par with the college race team. Except when he was on that bike and he'd sit in with them and just chat it up going up hills. They'd get so frustrated and it was hilarious.
Old 03-30-16, 10:22 AM
OwenMeany

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only recently became aware of the Strava underworld...yikes.

As I return to cycling from a long lay-off, I find it fantastic to measure and document my improvement over time....When I left the sport, Strava had not been invented, I had all my stats in an excel spreadsheet as it was reflected in my Cateye. Which was the custom and practice of most riders at the time.

Keeping my Strava relationship at "arms length", may be the rite move...
Old 12-01-16, 08:05 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life.

Phil Gaimon, who just retired from professional cycling, is specifically targeting this Sassquatch guy's KOMs in the Los Angeles area-

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/gaim...s-strava-koms/

This is what he said when he realized a couple years ago that he hadn't beaten that guy's time-

“That really opened my eyes,” says Gaimon. “I was training for the Tour of Austria at the time and that was my best 15 minutes of power, ever. I realize that there are a bunch of guys who can out-climb me for 15 minutes, but the truth is I know them all and can name them. That’s when I realized just how lit up this guy was. His time on Mandeville was world class. There are maybe only 60 guys in the world who can ride that fast up that climb solo.”

Kudos, Phil.
Old 12-01-16, 09:32 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
"So over a 30-day span beginning on October 30, Gaimon has done something about it, grabbing 152 KOMs in the greater Los Angeles area, many of them held by Brandt-Sorenson."

It's kinda like Michael Phelps getting in the pool during kids swim though, innit? I'd be excited to log 152 PRs in a month.
Old 12-01-16, 09:41 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Bringing this thread back to life.

Phil Gaimon, who just retired from professional cycling, is specifically targeting this Sassquatch guy's KOMs in the Los Angeles area-

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/gaim...s-strava-koms/

This is what he said when he realized a couple years ago that he hadn't beaten that guy's time-

“That really opened my eyes,” says Gaimon. “I was training for the Tour of Austria at the time and that was my best 15 minutes of power, ever. I realize that there are a bunch of guys who can out-climb me for 15 minutes, but the truth is I know them all and can name them. That’s when I realized just how lit up this guy was. His time on Mandeville was world class. There are maybe only 60 guys in the world who can ride that fast up that climb solo.”

Kudos, Phil.
I saw this on FB. Phil Gaimon is my new hero. Just awesome, what a great smack-down project. He put together a local fondo this year and my basic response was <shrug>. Haha, next year I'm totally in if it doesn't conflict with my racing schedule. Gotta love this guy.
Old 12-01-16, 09:41 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
"So over a 30-day span beginning on October 30, Gaimon has done something about it, grabbing 152 KOMs in the greater Los Angeles area, many of them held by Brandt-Sorenson."

It's kinda like Michael Phelps getting in the pool during kids swim though, innit? I'd be excited to log 152 PRs in a month.
Not really, a lot of those climbs have top 10s that are almost entirely current or ex-pros. In the grand scheme of things it's meaningless, but it is still satisfying to see a convicted doper losing a little pride to someone who has done it clean.
Old 12-01-16, 09:45 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Not really, a lot of those climbs have top 10s that are almost entirely current or ex-pros.
I know that feel-- the Redlands Bicycle Classic runs on the roads I ride daily, so on many segments my best day efforts are good enough to just get me up past 200th place.

It must be nice to be fast.
Old 12-01-16, 09:47 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by Heathpack
I saw this on FB. Phil Gaimon is my new hero. Just awesome, what a great smack-down project. He put together a local fondo this year and my basic response was <shrug>. Haha, next year I'm totally in if it doesn't conflict with my racing schedule. Gotta love this guy.
A friend of mine is an ex-pro and raced with Phil as a development rider 10 years ago or so. Phil's book, which I think came out last year, made some reference to how my buddy went with their team to a stage race in Australia just to drop out after the first stage and then go boozing with Aussie ladies, as if he'd planned that from the start and didn't care about the team.

My buddy was offended because he'd actually been really sick that week and simply couldn't start the 2nd stage, so he called Phil out on Facebook. Phil publicly apologized and issued a correction to that little blurb in the book, which I thought was a fairly nice gesture for him to do when he was under no obligation to do so. Seems like a good guy, and I definitely approve of his Strava-questing.
Old 12-01-16, 09:48 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
But the coffee still costs $4.00.
Man, you spend too much money on that brown garbage water. (Well, I don't know you, so maybe not you personally, but in general people do.)
Old 12-01-16, 09:50 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It must be nice to be fast.
+Infinity
Old 12-01-16, 10:02 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

A friend of mine is an ex-pro and raced with Phil as a development rider 10 years ago or so. Phil's book, which I think came out last year, made some reference to how my buddy went with their team to a stage race in Australia just to drop out after the first stage and then go boozing with Aussie ladies, as if he'd planned that from the start and didn't care about the team.

My buddy was offended because he'd actually been really sick that week and simply couldn't start the 2nd stage, so he called Phil out on Facebook. Phil publicly apologized and issued a correction to that little blurb in the book, which I thought was a fairly nice gesture for him to do when he was under no obligation to do so. Seems like a good guy, and I definitely approve of his Strava-questing.
I've had a lot going on in my personal life of late, and as a consequence, it's easier for me to get frustrated by things that normally I'd find amusing. So I was venting recently to my coach that I was sick of group rides in which men ride like idiots all because the presence of a woman makes one insecure guy ride as hard as he can so as not to be riding at a woman's level and then everyone else ramps up the pace until the woman is dropped and they are no longer riding with a woman and then they constantly bug you to ride with them and wonder why you always have something else on the agenda.

Anyway, coaches response was how he hates that kind of crap too but at least he has the ability to make people pay when they do that stuff. Whereas I can't do squat about it or even bring it up lest I be labeled a complainer.

So Phil Gaimon resonates. He may not be doing what he's doing for people like me, I think he's making a statement on doping. But it's just awesome to give a smackdown to the a-holes of the sport and not just anyone can do that.

Great story too about your friend. You should come to LA next fall for his fondo. It's called the cookie ride and there's cookies at every stop. Apparently Phil loves cookies.
Old 12-01-16, 10:18 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
While I get a kick out of someone of Gaimon's caliber going after Strava KOM's (and I say more power to him) I have to ask this. Is using PED's really cheating on Strava? As long as it's legal, I don't see anything in the terms of service prohibiting it. Strava evidently does not disqualify rides based on doping. So why isn't it effectively just part of the game?
Old 12-01-16, 10:20 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Great story too about your friend. You should come to LA next fall for his fondo. It's called the cookie ride and there's cookies at every stop. Apparently Phil loves cookies.
I love cookies too. Soft-baked? I'll look for tickets and a bike rental
Old 12-01-16, 10:21 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by wphamilton
So why isn't it effectively just part of the game?
It is, and Strava acknowledges that. This is from the original article in the OP-

I reached out to Strava for comment, and this is the statement I received from the company’s co-founder and CEO Mark Gainey: “At Strava we strive to record accurate segment times and rely on our community to flag unsafe rides and mechanical cheating. We applaud those dedicated to fighting doping in sport. But we are not able to judge this very nuanced debate of who used PEDs, when and where they used them, and to fairly determine how that use improved times on one segment or another. Strava values sportsmanship and fair play, and we want members of our community to earn spots on the leaderboards through clean and safe competition.”
Old 12-01-16, 10:24 AM
himespau 

I liked this quote from Phil, (emphasis mine):
And what would Gaimon say to Brant Sorenson if he ran into him on the road?

“Oh boy, I don’t know” says Gaimon. “I kind of feel sorry for him — you’ve got to have some kind of a personality disorder to justify doping to get digital KOMs. But I guess I’d tell him, ‘You’re not special. And you had to cheat to rule this pathetic little kingdom.’”
Old 12-01-16, 11:02 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

I love cookies too. Soft-baked? I'll look for tickets and a bike rental

Phil Gaimon's Malibu Gran Cookie Dough

October 15, 2017. Bring your climb. Its hilly.
Old 12-01-16, 11:19 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
10) Slow riders that will sprint once in a while vs fast riders.
I resemble that comment in areas. There are points on my rides where there are rather short but steep climbs that I have been sprinting up for years before anyone ever heard of Strava and I do quite well on those climbs now. I often even win the day on the climb, only to be humbled the rest of the ride. I do it because it's fun and don't care about my place in the whole thing.

I like to use Strava to compare myself to myself, but I could care less about my place in the whole thing. I also can't imagine any team or sponsor giving a Strava rider anything without an in person showing of their power and skills. I could see it getting you noticed, but don't you still have to produce the results in person?
Old 12-01-16, 11:58 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
While I get a kick out of someone of Gaimon's caliber going after Strava KOM's (and I say more power to him) I have to ask this. Is using PED's really cheating on Strava? As long as it's legal, I don't see anything in the terms of service prohibiting it. Strava evidently does not disqualify rides based on doping. So why isn't it effectively just part of the game?
It's impossible for Strava to police, but it is certainly unethical, IMHO.

If you have to dope to win something as fake as strava where there isn't any money and there isn't next year's job on the line, then what exactly does that make you? What exactly would you be going for? It's just a really weird thing to do.
Old 12-01-16, 12:37 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by RJM
It's impossible for Strava to police, but it is certainly unethical, IMHO.

If you have to dope to win something as fake as strava where there isn't any money and there isn't next year's job on the line, then what exactly does that make you? What exactly would you be going for? It's just a really weird thing to do.
While I agree with you, I can see someone (say a certain Mellow Juan) who has been banned for life from all other competitions who needs to feel the thrill of competing trying his hand at Strava. Whether or not he's still doping might be an open question, just like I wasn't clear whether it was known that the person in the story is confirmed to be still doping or if his lifetime ban came from selling to others.
Old 12-01-16, 12:40 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Some people take Strava too serious. This doesn't affect me, so I don't care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.