Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will these parts work together?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 08:38 AM
dayco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

I have a very clean mid-90's Huffy 'box-store 10-speed' mountain bike with friction/thumb shifters I received for free. I want to install these parts:

Shimano 14-34T 7-speed Mega Range freewheel (Bikeparts).
Xundah 'long' rear derailleur (AvidMax).
Triple ashtabula chainwheel 28/38/48T, of which I'll remove the 48T wheel and only use the 28/38 wheels (AvidMax).
7/8 speed chain, kmc/NS-CN78 (Nashbar).
26"x1.75 Kenda tires on the original chrome steel rims.

The front derailleur will be the original Falcon friction derailleur. Does anyone see any problems with these parts working together?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by dayco; 11-27-16 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-27-16, 08:46 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Probably, but count on having to make some adjustments or modifications along the way. That's just part of the discovery and learning process that makes this project worth doing.
Old 11-27-16, 08:47 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I don't see any glaring problems, but that doesn't mean you won't run into some sort of glitch. Re: the Ashtabula triple. Many of these have a chainring assembly that attaches as a unit to the crank arm, meaning that you can't simply remove the largest ring without losing the ability to attach the rings to the arm. This may or may not apply to your crank, and even if it does, you could simply adjust the front derailleur to lock out the large ring if that's important to you.
Old 11-27-16, 09:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Also Is the possibility of converting , adaptors have long made, to replace One Piece with a 3 piece crank..
BMX converts ..

Saw no mention of a Front derailleur,

But that does not matter stopping a picking up the chain, 'greasy finger shifting', has a Long Tradition..
Old 11-27-16, 09:14 AM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 7-speed freewheel is not a drop in replacement for a 5-speed one. Your current shifters may not have enough range for 7 speeds. The Ashtabula crank might have all three rings riveted (or welded) together as a cluster.
Old 11-27-16, 10:24 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Personally, I'd skip the Xundah 'long' rear derailleur and spend a couple more dollars on a Shimano Tourney, alivio, or altus.
Old 11-27-16, 12:52 PM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
5-speed freewheels usually took a 122mm hub (space between locknuts). The 7-speed freewheels took a 126mm spacing. If this is your case, you will have to add spacers to the rear axle (possibly replacing the axle if not long enough), redish the rear wheel and widen the rear dropouts.

Try riding the bike as-is, before putting lipstick on a Huffy.
Old 11-27-16, 01:25 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
With the money you spend upgrading the existing bike you may be better off selling it as is and buying a higher quality bike.
Old 11-27-16, 01:53 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
With the money you spend upgrading the existing bike you may be better off selling it as is and buying a higher quality bike.
+1

Not to rain on your parade, but Huffy ranks at the bottom of the pile for cost benefit.
I'd rather pay $50-75 for an old Rockhopper or TREK etc. to fix up, than get a Huffy +$20.

The brakes tend to be total garbage, the bike is over weight and basically designed to accept the cheapest parts. It likely has steel rims instead of aluminum.
The Ashtabula crank adds to the problem.

I used to flip bikes on CL and learned early to stay away from Huffy. You can stick $100 into it and still have a $25 bike.

I guess the best analogy is if someone gave you a free YUGO.
Old 11-27-16, 04:25 PM
dayco

Thanks everyone for the heads-up and advice.
Old 12-25-16, 06:40 PM
dayco

This is an update to thread I posted a while back. Thanks to everyone who gave warning and said these parts would work together.

I'm not an avid bike rider. I'm just an old guy in street clothes getting a little excercise traveling 10 miles a day to run my errands. With the exception of a joy-riding 8 year old, I wanted a bike that could be secured with a light lock and would be worthless to everyone but me. I wanted it to be as comfortable and rideable as possible and yet when I checked out of a store, I wanted it to be there. And free made it even better. I rode my Huffy all summer long but I needed better gearing. Parts...

Nashbar, NS-CN78 chain, $12.99
Avidmax, Sunlite triple chainring 28/38/48, $13.98
Sunlite (Xundah) long-cage derailleur, $11.95
Bikeparts, Shimano 7spd Megarange freewheel 14-34, $14.39 (I had a used one)

I started by removing the rivots holding the chainrings together. I ground the teeth off the 48 tooth sprocket, took it over to my brother who has a small lathe and machined it smooth. I put the chainwheels back together with grade 5, 1/4-20 bolts cut to length. The large wheel now acts like a chain-stop/guard. I put thin plastic on the chainwheel and FD to protect my pants from chain/sprocket oil. It was fun.

The used freewheel, FD and the Xundah rear derailleur mounted and adjusted without any problems. I took a few links out of the chain and everything works fine. I now can climb steep hills easily at 3 mph and travel downhill, or with the wind to back, at 16+ mph. Easy and fast enough for me. Thanks again, I'm happy.

(I have a pic but can't figure out how to post it)
Old 12-25-16, 06:45 PM
dayco

This is an update to thread I posted a while back. Thanks to everyone who gave warning and said these parts would work together.

I'm not an avid bike rider. I'm just an old guy in street clothes getting a little excercise traveling 10 miles a day to run my errands. With the exception of a joy-riding 8 year old, I wanted a bike that could be secured with a light lock and would be worthless to everyone but me. I wanted it to be as comfortable and rideable as possible and yet when I checked out of a store, I wanted it to be there. And free made it even better. I rode my Huffy all summer long but I needed better gearing. Parts...

Nashbar, NS-CN78 chain, $12.99
Avidmax, Sunlite triple chainring 28/38/48, $13.98
Sunlite (Xundah) long-cage derailleur, $11.95
Bikeparts, Shimano 7spd Megarange freewheel 14-34, $14.39 (I had a used one)

I started by removing the rivots holding the chainrings together. I ground the teeth off the 48 tooth sprocket, took it over to my brother who has a small lathe and machined it smooth. I put the chainwheels back together with grade 5, 1/4-20 bolts cut to length. The large wheel now acts like a chain-stop/guard. I put thin plastic on the chainwheel and FD to protect my pants from chain/sprocket oil.

The used freewheel, FD and the Xundah rear derailleur mounted and adjusted without any problems. I took a few links out of the chain and everything works fine. I now can climb steep hills easily at 3-4 mph and travel downhill, or with the wind to back, at 16+ mph. Easy and fast enough for me. Thanks again, I'm happy.

(I have a pic but can't figure out how to post it)