Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Toe Overlap

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 08:45 AM
NyoGoat

Bikes: CAAD10 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Toe Overlap

Is toe overlap worth trading the bike out for? I recently bought a Treck Chekpoint and it rides fine. I initially didn't think the small amount of overlap would be an issue. As i've ridden around town a bit more i've almost fallen over waiting at stop lights while trying to balance and then hitting the wheel with my foot. All of a sudden my love for this bike is gone.
Old 01-28-20, 08:49 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Wheelbase & geometry associated with frame size. Do you have a bike in the same size that does not have overlap? Overlap is not uncommon on smaller frames.
Old 01-28-20, 08:50 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
For me it's something I'm aware of on a couple of my bikes, but it's not a deal-breaker. That's a subjective question for you to answer, if you don't want to ride the bike because of it, then get rid of it.
Old 01-28-20, 08:58 AM
NyoGoat

Bikes: CAAD10 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a road bike that doesn't cause me any issues. I thought it might be an issue with gravel bikes using bigger tires and different geometry. I ride a 54 frame
Old 01-28-20, 09:00 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
The more times you fall, the closer you will get to getting rid of it. I still have a couple more falls to make the decision. Thankfully my toe overlap falls are always at less than walking speed, typically while doing a small radius U-turn.
Old 01-28-20, 09:01 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by NyoGoat
I have a road bike that doesn't cause me any issues. I thought it might be an issue with gravel bikes using bigger tires and different geometry. I ride a 54 frame
Depending on the amount, is your cleat position the same? I also have a 54 (road bike) and get some overlap. It's not an issue when you are riding. It's only something to be aware of when starting with your wheel turned.
Old 01-28-20, 09:24 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Thankfully my toe overlap falls are always at less than walking speed, typically while doing a small radius U-turn.
that's because touching the tire with your toe is almost impossible at high speed…
Old 01-28-20, 10:16 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
that's because touching the tire with your toe is almost impossible at high speed…
Yup, I was just pointing out (to those that may not know) that toe overlap is typically an ultra-low-speed incident, and sometimes no-speed. Learning to stall and fall gracefully is part of cycling, and in my case, even more-so on technical uphill mtb. So even if you know your bike has overlap there's no need to get rid of it, since the resulting fall will typically be less severe, because the speeds are low. Just make sure you fall where and how you want to (elbows in, and hands on the bars, IMHO)

Last edited by Riveting; 01-28-20 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-28-20, 10:18 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
The "cool kids" like to tell you that since toe overlap isn't a problem for them (usually when racing), that you should "get over it." I think that's making excuses for poor bike design. If your riding involves a lot of slow-speed maneuvering and starts/stops in crowds, toe overlap can become a problem.

Moving up a frame size can help a little, but most people don't have a lot of room to go in that direction. Looks like the Checkpoint comes with 700x40C tires, which is a pretty big wheel -- you might consider a bike with a smaller wheelsize. I'm a 650B guy now for the most part.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-28-20, 10:42 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 376 Posts
I have one bike with toe overlap and when I try to do my lousy trackstands at traffic lights I sometimes hit the front tire with my toe. Haven't gone down yet and have developed a reflex response. There's too much I like about the bike to consider replacing it though. And still can't do a trackstand worth sh*t.

Last edited by john m flores; 01-28-20 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-28-20, 04:07 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
yup, only bothers me doing track stands. If I'm at speed it just rubs a little on the shoe. You can make sure you have some snug fitting shoes (length wise) and to some degree tires will make a difference. I only have a problem on my gravel bike with 50mm+ tires (it was designed for 33mm, lol).
Old 01-29-20, 07:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Every properly fitting 700c road/gravel bike I have owned has toe overlap.

A total non-issue for me.

Only becomes a potential issue at very low speed, and even then, avoiding it has become completely automatic and unconscious. It is a muscle memory thing for me.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-29-20, 09:13 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
For me it is. I don't have it on my Revolt, got tired of it on my Tarmac, so I'm switching to a Defy for my road bike, feels just as fast/stiff as the Tarmac, but longer wheelbase & front center means no toe overlap (and it feels more stable). I don't race crits, so I don't need/want twitchy handling.
Old 01-29-20, 09:20 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
When I try steep and technical climbs, such as something a mountain bike is suited for. It happens and drives me nuts.

It bothers me enough that I may replace the bike over it. Or if I got a mountain bike, the gravel bike would never be in toe rub situations anymore.
Old 01-29-20, 11:25 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Since I ride 48-50cm frames every bike I've had even slack tourers have toe overlap and its never been a problem even low speed technical cornering with pedalling and ratcheting. I guess if you had a mix of bikes with or without overlap it might be annoying but overlap in general is not really an issue once the muscle memory is ingrained
Old 01-29-20, 11:35 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Since I ride 48-50cm frames every bike I've had even slack tourers have toe overlap and its never been a problem even low speed technical cornering with pedalling and ratcheting. I guess if you had a mix of bikes with or without overlap it might be annoying but overlap in general is not really an issue once the muscle memory is ingrained
Fwiw, toe overlap seems to be less of an issue now than when I got the bike, 2ish years ago. So there is truth in the above comment.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-29-20, 12:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by NyoGoat
Is toe overlap worth trading the bike out for? I recently bought a Treck Chekpoint and it rides fine. I initially didn't think the small amount of overlap would be an issue. As i've ridden around town a bit more i've almost fallen over waiting at stop lights while trying to balance and then hitting the wheel with my foot. All of a sudden my love for this bike is gone.
Stop track standing at stop lights. Seems like a really simple solution since there is no real need to track stand in the first place. At best, you start riding when the light turns green, just as you would if you had one foot on the ground. At worst you fall over while trying to balance and make a fool of yourself or get hurt.
Seems like a really simple and obvious solution.
Old 01-29-20, 01:06 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
My 54cm CX bike has toe overlap. I've hit my toe against the tire a few times during slow u-turn movements during cross races, but it hasn't caused any problems other than some scuffs on my shoes. I definitely wouldn't want to ride a larger frame size just to avoid it.
Old 01-29-20, 03:14 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Stop track standing at stop lights. Seems like a really simple solution since there is no real need to track stand in the first place. At best, you start riding when the light turns green, just as you would if you had one foot on the ground. At worst you fall over while trying to balance and make a fool of yourself or get hurt.
True dat!

I generally only track stand my track bike because it is a lot easier than unclipping on that bike and then starting out with a 90" gear (and I think its silly to drive my bike to the track).

But if I know the light is about to turn green - I'll track stand anything for the duration of a yellow.

But yeah, I'm good at making a fool of myself, and doing a track stand for a couple of minutes only to hit my toe on the tire and fall when the light turns green is a pretty effective way to look foolish. Certainly feels foolish.
Old 01-29-20, 04:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I'm going to disagree with most of the posters here. Bikes are tools. If the tool doesn't do its job well, get a better one. For example, why saddle yourself with an axe that is to heavy and long handled for you to swing effectively when you can simply get a smaller, better fitting one? If your ride is better with toe clearance, go for it! It's your ride, not ours.

Ben
Old 01-29-20, 04:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm going to disagree with most of the posters here. Bikes are tools. If the tool doesn't do its job well, get a better one. For example, why saddle yourself with an axe that is to heavy and long handled for you to swing effectively when you can simply get a smaller, better fitting one? If your ride is better with toe clearance, go for it! It's your ride, not ours.

Ben
I don’t follow what it is you are disagreeing with.
Old 01-30-20, 11:16 AM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
56cm 2019 Niner RDO RLT gravel bike; size 12 feets, zero toe overlap. The frame is sized well for my frame, and I don't see how you could have overlap issues on this bike unless you're riding a really small frame.
Old 01-30-20, 12:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
From what has been said, the tool does its job well and fits properly. Your axe example doesnt really 'fit' here.
The OP is using the tool for something it isnt designed- to track stand at stoplights. I doubt track standing is considered when designing any road or gravel bike.

But sure- it makes sense to buy a bike for how you use it. If the geometry needs to take track standing into account, then perfect. I personally would rather the geometry match what I want for the other 99.83% of my time on the bike, but to each their own.
Old 01-30-20, 11:39 PM
Krenovian

Bikes: Hers: Volagi Liscio, Kestrel 200 SCI, Niner Jet9 RDO, Ellsworth Truth. His: Kestrel 200 EMS, Niner Jet9, Psyclewerks Wild Hare. Ours: Paketa V2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
56cm 2019 Niner RDO RLT gravel bike; size 12 feets, zero toe overlap. The frame is sized well for my frame, and I don't see how you could have overlap issues on this bike unless you're riding a really small frame.
​​​​​​
Interesting. 53cm Niner RLT RDO also 2019, size 9 1/2 feet. Definite toe overlap. Tires are 38. I'm going to look at the geometry chart and compare the 56 and 53 size frames.
​​​​​​
Old 01-31-20, 02:24 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have been a passenger in cars where we stopped behind someone doing a bit of a wobbly trackstand and their front wheel was moving left and right. The drivers asked me what direction they were going in and what they were doing. I think that people who do trackstands at intersections with lights often cause confusion to nearby drivers.

I have a Bianchi road bike that has toe overlap and at stops I just put a foot down. I then don't have to worry about hitting my foot against the tire/wheel when I start up again. YMMV

Cheers