Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Beer and wine

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 02:22 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
When it comes to beer I can take it or leave it. For example, I can take a pull off one of the 4 kegs in our kegerator and leave our bottled beer for later...

(we don’t drink daily, frequently going several days between beers. Whisky is a once in a while dram, especially at the price for a bottle.)
Old 01-27-20, 08:51 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
I love single malts from Islam, so Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Caol Ila are at the top of my list. Ledaig 10 year old (from Tobermory distillery on Mull) is probably my favorite sub-hundred dollar bottle of whisky, depending in the day.
Johnnie Black, couple rocks, splash of water.
Been my drink since I was 28 years old and an older woman taught me what a proper drink was...along with some other things ; )

Ill enjoy single malt, especially after dinner, good scotch is good scotch. I just prefer a smooth blend with less idiosyncrasies that are typically native to a single malt.

Alas, rarely have the opportunity to really indulge much these days. Occasional “steak house” night with the boys here and there.. Otherwise, one before dinner when out is about it.

Last edited by CyclingBK; 01-27-20 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 05:27 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
JW Platinum. It is their only blend that can have an age on the label. All of their others mix years. That said, I prefer single malt myself, in particular Laphroaig. There is something about the super strong aroma of that one that I like and others just hate, the usual comment being "I don't want to be drinking railroad ties".
Old 02-01-20, 07:34 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by zacster
JW Platinum. It is their only blend that can have an age on the label. All of their others mix years. That said, I prefer single malt myself, in particular Laphroaig. There is something about the super strong aroma of that one that I like and others just hate, the usual comment being "I don't want to be drinking railroad ties".
My wife and I own a small plot of land next to the Laphroaig distillery. Love all of their expressions, although it makes me feel weird to call them "expressions." I like "offerings" or "bottlings" better. Anyway, I had some 10 year old Laphroaig last night, and I love the taste from first sniff to finish. It's smells like a small, quiet beach on a cool winter evening, with peat smoke from nearby fires intermingled with seaweed. Then the burning lump of charcoal lands squarely on your tongue, reminding you that medicine is good for you, even if it may kill you. As it melts its way down the back of your pallette the whisky still has enough potency remaining to make you ask if, perhaps, you somehow lit that on fire right before you took a sip. Close your mouth slightly (even though you're begging for clear air!) and exhale through your mouth and nose together: Heaven in a bottle of whisky! Makes cold rides that much better after you're home, in front of the fire, with a shower, a blanket and a good book.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 02-01-20, 08:21 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
I can acknowledge many things I do are not good for my long-term physical health. Randonneuring, beer, coffee, pastries, being an office worker. All of these can have severe consequences if not moderated. All are difficult to keep in moderation.

I think attempts to rationalize alcohol consumption as healthy are just that, rationalization. It's not healthy, but it's enjoyable.
Old 02-01-20, 10:36 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Had a very decent Medoc tonight. And a couple of Ouzo’s!

In my mind...I ride tomorrow. But let’s see what happens. Lol
Old 02-02-20, 04:37 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
The Greek poet Hesiod (c. 700 bc) said "....all things in moderation" or something to that effect. I'm with him.
Old 02-02-20, 05:57 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
guessing this thread is definitely not endorsing beer, wine or whisk(e)y rides...would riding a century (and imbibing enroute) be considered in excess? asking (as always) for a friend...
Old 02-02-20, 08:38 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
guessing this thread is definitely not endorsing beer, wine or whisk(e)y rides...would riding a century (and imbibing enroute) be considered in excess? asking (as always) for a friend...
I would think imbibing enroute would be in excess, but having beer as an incentive to finish a century definitely not in excess.

A wine tour OTOH, would definitely involve imbibing along the route. That's the whole point!

My last bottle of wine the other day was a really nice Taurasi. I much prefer the Italians these days, their varietals are much more distinct from each other, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Aglianico, Sagrantino, Montepulciano, Barbera, and many others.

Last edited by zacster; 02-02-20 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-03-20, 11:00 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

^the italian stuff has been hot the last 5 years or so. if the threatened french luxury goods-including wines-tariffs come to pass, italy will happily gobble up
more market share in america. read somewhere, the other day, that america now consumes more wine than any other country. dunno if it's true. i'll still
stick with france overall, as i feel the wines, as a whole, generally have better balance and gravity than elsewhere. italy has remarkable diversity, depth, quality
and value tho.
Old 02-04-20, 05:03 AM
bruce19

Recently there was a report that all the wines in CA had some amount of glyphosate in them. If I get into wine it will be local or something other than CA.
Old 02-04-20, 05:19 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

californian red wines generally have a fattiness/lushness to them. the whites? here and there. didn't always used to be that way. it's more of a since 1994 kinda thing.
things seem to be swinging back from flabby, smooth fruitbombs back to wines with balance and acidity/tannin levels tho. some (not all) wines, like clothing, are subject
to the whims/vagaries of the masses/trends.

if you're not into wine already, i don't recommend it. it can get very very expensive and very very consuming. everything else, including single malts, is cheaper.
Old 02-05-20, 06:53 AM
Schwinneffect

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Kentucky

Beer and wine are very high carb content. Bourbon is health food? Brought to you by Wild Turkey and the Commonwealth of KY.
Likes For Schwinneffect:
Old 02-05-20, 12:25 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
californian red wines generally have a fattiness/lushness to them. the whites? here and there. didn't always used to be that way. it's more of a since 1994 kinda thing.
things seem to be swinging back from flabby, smooth fruitbombs back to wines with balance and acidity/tannin levels tho. some (not all) wines, like clothing, are subject
to the whims/vagaries of the masses/trends.

if you're not into wine already, i don't recommend it. it can get very very expensive and very very consuming. everything else, including single malts, is cheaper.
California wines are more expensive than single malt Scotch? Cali reds are going for a hundred bucks/750mL bottle these days? That’s some great marketing, great wine, or both. I had no idea. I don’t drink wine.
Old 02-05-20, 05:04 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
California wines are more expensive than single malt Scotch? Cali reds are going for a hundred bucks/750mL bottle these days? That’s some great marketing, great wine, or both. I had no idea. I don’t drink wine.
Not quite. While there are bottles in the high$ range, there are many that are more reasonably priced, and of course the range goes from two buck chuck and up. There is a huge spread. OTOH, you don't drink a bottle of single malt in one sitting either. My wife and I almost never leave anything over on any decent bottle of wine. That's probably not healthy but we enjoy it.
Likes For zacster:
Old 02-05-20, 06:15 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Hoppy IPA's are my reward for the 30 mile rides, and smoky scotch (Laphroaig) for the centuries.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 02-05-20, 11:05 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by Riveting
Hoppy IPA's are my reward for the 30 mile rides, and smoky scotch (Laphroaig) for the centuries.
Try Ardbeg 10 if you never have. Just a bit down the toad past Laphroaig and Lagavulin. Also quite good, very peaty, great on the evening of a long cold ride. (I only added that last part to keep it bike related.)
Old 02-05-20, 11:18 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Recently there was a report that all the wines in CA had some amount of glyphosate in them. If I get into wine it will be local or something other than CA.
Glyphosate is everywhere even human breast milk. It used to be thought of as perfectly safe now it is turning out to be one of the most toxic substances known to mankind. No wonder cancer rates are skyrocketing.

Stick to Euro wines or single malts.
Old 02-06-20, 06:59 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Glyphosate is everywhere even human breast milk. It used to be thought of as perfectly safe now it is turning out to be one of the most toxic substances known to mankind. No wonder cancer rates are skyrocketing.
Here's a blurb from a CBSNews.com piece regarding the concentrations of glyphosate found in common American beers and wines:
"Assuming the greatest value [of glyphosate] reported, 51.4 ppb, is correct, a 125-pound adult would have to consume 308 gallons of wine per day, every day for life to reach the US Environmental Protection Agency's glyphosate exposure limit for humans. To put 308 gallons into context, that would be more than a bottle of wine every minute, for life, without sleeping."
Old 02-06-20, 07:08 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by willibrord

Stick to Euro wines or single malts.
Dear God don't let it be in bourbon.
Old 02-06-20, 09:05 AM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Here's a blurb from a CBSNews.com piece regarding the concentrations of glyphosate found in common American beers and wines:
"Assuming the greatest value [of glyphosate] reported, 51.4 ppb, is correct, a 125-pound adult would have to consume 308 gallons of wine per day, every day for life to reach the US Environmental Protection Agency's glyphosate exposure limit for humans. To put 308 gallons into context, that would be more than a bottle of wine every minute, for life, without sleeping."
The EPA's analysis refers to acute toxicity, ie what will kill you instantly, rather than the long term cancer causing effects of constant low doses.
Old 02-09-20, 01:55 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I abstain the night before long road rides, but don't mind a glass or two of very good red wine or sip on a nice bourbon or scotch. Moderation being the key. Will I have a beer or two after the Solvang Century? Well the start/finish IS In the parking lot of a brewery so what do you think?
Old 02-09-20, 03:39 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by SCTinkering
I abstain the night before long road rides, but don't mind a glass or two of very good red wine or sip on a nice bourbon or scotch. Moderation being the key. Will I have a beer or two after the Solvang Century? Well the start/finish IS In the parking lot of a brewery so what do you think?
Finished up a windy 87 miler a little earlier today and just had some JW Blue Label. More than a "sip."