Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

1 bike in your quiver

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

1 bike in your quiver

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 03:20 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I used to have only one bike. I'm much happier now.
Likes For mercator:
Old 02-04-20, 03:22 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
My understanding is that the difference between largest and smallest chainrings cannot exceed 22 teeth.
There's really no hard limit, it depends on a lot of factors. Plenty of FDs can handle total differences in the mid-20s when used with a typical multi-range triple, including a lot of "double" front derailleurs. In desperation, it's also often possible to extend a front derailleur's cage so that the chain can pass through from smaller rings, with the caveat that this tends to reduce the FD's stiffness.
Old 02-04-20, 03:47 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
This would be my one bike. The handle bars make it my road bike or my mountain bike depending on where I put my hands.
Old 02-04-20, 04:15 PM
radom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One is really totally reasonable... But only if you stick mainly to one discipline.. if you want to ride both mountain and road, get one for each.. But then if you really like them both and don't want to park them outside in the elements at work/bars/restaurants it's probably a good idea to grab a beater... So... 3 is the dream personally...

If I had to live with just one it's a hardtail 29er with narrower bars, hands down. Can rip singletrack, gravel, commutes, even keep up on a tame road ride in a pinch..
Old 02-04-20, 04:22 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
I was hoping to have a do-anything bicycle - a bicycle that would allow me to engage the 52+t chainring to blaze down the road but also have the facility to tow a trailer up a hill - but later discovered that gearing systems do not accommodate versatility such as this. The feeling of inspiration is gone so I settled for being able to tow trailer up hill. Oh well. With having to buy an additional bicycle for the "road" in order to get my other facilitation, now I can also buy some spandex to show how dedicated I am. Bicycle industry 1, Nyah 0.
The 52 tooth chainring is a left over from the old days. When the smallest cog on the freewheel...yes, freewheel, had 14 teeth, a 52/14 gave a 100 inch gear. If you happened to have a rare 13 tooth cog on your freewheel, you got a 109 inch high gear. If you went to a 53 tooth chainwheel and a 13 tooth cog, you could get to a whopping 111 inch gear.

But, since the advent of the 11 tooth cog that is ubiquitous on just about every cassette, you don't need that tall 50 tooth gear. A 52/11 combination is a 129" gear which is very, very high and almost useless...and that's coming from someone who loves speed. A 48/11 combination is still 8" taller than the tallest 53/13 combination and a 44/11 gives you the same gear as a 53/13. That's a pretty small from chainring. Here's a comparison of the different high gears that are currently possible. With 10 tooth cogs, you can get a knee busting 120" gear.

My bikes above, by the way, have 44 tooth outers. But the real gem is that they have 20 tooth inners and 11-36 cassettes (one 9 speed and one 10 speed). I also have a touring bike that has a 46 tooth outer, 20 toot inner and an 11-36 9 speed cassette. Doing the math, that's a high of 114"...which is still higher than the old 52 tooth system... and a low of 15" and a range of 750%. It shifts wonderfully and is a joy to ride both up and down hills. Shimano and SRAM both say you can't do what I have done, but what do they know?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-04-20, 05:08 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
IMO, one must have at least 3 bikes.

1) Roadie..........commuting, fun, recreation, road, trails, mountains, city, streets, fitness, race.

2) Mountain bike.......commute, fun, fitness, touring, paved and dirt trails, off road and mountains.

3) Tandem...........fast, recreation, touring, streets, paved trails, fitness, and ROMANCE!

Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 02-04-20, 07:10 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Three; three bikes is the proper number (for me).
.... I'm not sure. I think you have 3 of the same thing....
- I have a RockHopper that is quite similar to yours. Definitely a great all-rounder!
Likes For mrv:
Old 02-04-20, 07:21 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I have one in every color I like. So far that's eight colors.
Old 02-04-20, 07:24 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My all-rounder is best described as a "sporty looking hybrid" with a swept bar and 1x9 setup.

Now, I own a few other bikes, largely because I enjoy tinkering. Also, it's nice having a dedicated winter bike to bear the brunt of road salt, and to avoid swapping tires every season.
Old 02-04-20, 08:15 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
If I had to go with one, it would be my gravel bike. It has wide enough clearance for...gravel tires (light off-road use), studded tires (winter use), and still works with road tires. It's nice but not that nice, so I'm okay with locking it outside for short stints.

In real life, I have a road bike (road, commutes with indoor parking), gravel bike (gravel, light winter ice/snow), single speed (bad weather road/training, commuting, bangin' around and parking outside), and old MTB (heavy winter ice/snow, low-gear stuff like trailer hauling). Most of my miles are on the road bike and single speed. The gravel bike is actually my least favorite for normal road/commuter biking; it's heavier and has a bit more of an upright position than I like for those tasks.
Old 02-05-20, 12:30 AM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Pretty good with my Cross Check. Ride trails. Ride road. Run around town. Explore back roads. Goes camping. Kinda fun, being a bike that goes anywhere. Just ride!

Likes For gorillimo:
Old 02-05-20, 03:23 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
My bikes above, by the way, have 44 tooth outers. But the real gem is that they have 20 tooth inners and 11-36 cassettes (one 9 speed and one 10 speed). I also have a touring bike that has a 46 tooth outer, 20 toot inner and an 11-36 9 speed cassette. Doing the math, that's a high of 114"...which is still higher than the old 52 tooth system... and a low of 15" and a range of 750%. It shifts wonderfully and is a joy to ride both up and down hills. Shimano and SRAM both say you can't do what I have done, but what do they know?
They probably say that because the max chain wrap capacity of Shimano made rear derailleurs is 47T (haven't looked into SRAM), while (46-20)+(36-11) makes 51T difference. That means small-small and/or big-big combos would be unusable, but who does that anyway?
Old 02-05-20, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
They probably say that because the max chain wrap capacity of Shimano made rear derailleurs is 47T (haven't looked into SRAM), while (46-20)+(36-11) makes 51T difference. That means small-small and/or big-big combos would be unusable, but who does that anyway?
Depends on how you define "unusable". I can shift into both and make the bike go in either. The chain is almost too slack in the little/little combination but still workable. But, as you said, who would use those gears anyway. The problem is that Shimano limits the usage of the drivetrain because they are CYAing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-05-20, 08:57 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
A ~$4K, good quality, lightweight 29er hardtail or short-travel FS XC bike is hard to argue with. Something like a Santa Cruz Highball or Blur, Giant XTC, Trek Procaliber or Supercalibur, Specialized Epic etc.

To be very specific, I'd go for:
​​​
Carbon frame
68-69 head angle, 71-72 seat angle. A bit modern but not floppy
1x 12sp drivetrain with a 32 front chainring SLX or GX level is probably all you need
Excellent hubs, especially the rear one
Tubeless XC 2.1-2.3 race tires
Shimano brakes, Deore level is fine
Lightweight 120-140 fork
Remote lockouts
125 dropper
Threaded BB
720-750 bar

This kind of bike is useful in almost all situations barring the fastest road rides. Trails, gravel, casual to fairly fast group rides, commuting etc, it could handle it all.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 02-05-20, 09:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw: I can't help the OP, currently using 3 bikes, road bike, hybrid & mountain bike (cheap front sus. fork only). feels like the right formula for me. keeping each running, tuned, clean w/ appropriate tires is enough for me. I can look out the window, check the forecast, reserach conditions, pick the bike & go

- road bike for clean roads, a little wet is OK
- hybrid for riding with Wifey & summer vacations, or mixed terrain solo, equipped with studs right now for the paved trails near me, some of which get plowed, but leave a thin layer of fun perfect for a studded hybrid
- mountain bike for real dirt trails (the easy ones). got the studs on now cuz even without snow there's some tricky ice in the woods
Old 02-05-20, 09:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
On pavement/commuter
attracted to those tires! what are they?
Old 02-05-20, 05:42 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I only had one bike until I joined this site. Y'all are a bunch of enablers!!

I still have and ride my '75 Fuji (bought new) out of sentimental reasons. Yes, the others have better tubing, but other than that? I just dunno... The Uni Grand Tourismo is technically a 'better' bike than the Fuji as the Fuji was fitted out for sport-touring 30 years ago -- but that old Fuji and I have shared so many miles of smiles I could never get rid of it.

As for 'better', I had initially got the Univega Viva Sport and turned it into the 'better' road bike I thought I wanted -- and then the Miyata 710 fell into my lap... Pretty much the same. I couldn't sell the Viva for what I have into it in upgrades, so it stays out of stubbornness.

I have the MTBs as beater bikes - NOT as off-road machines. The Woodlands is my 'pit bike' for when I'm at the dragstrip, and the Huffy is for corner store trips. So they fit a purpose. All were garbage-picked finds so I'm not really out anything other than consumables on those... The MUTT is for a possible gravel-grinder for the GAP/C&O if I should ever actually do it...

If I were forced to chose ONE to keep and get rid of the rest, it would be the Fuji. Just because 45 years of memories. And it could be called upon to fill any of the other bikes' purposes.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 02-05-20, 05:56 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
.... I'm not sure. I think you have 3 of the same thing....
- I have a RockHopper that is quite similar to yours. Definitely a great all-rounder!
Nope. The Princess used to be a mtb., but she's been brought back to her roots as a cruiser, and the Multi-Track is a 520 tourer without the cachet (or the price tag).
Old 02-05-20, 06:02 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
attracted to those tires! what are they?
Rubena City Hoppers, 26" x 2". Running them at 35psi up front and 45 in back.
Likes For Korina:
Old 02-05-20, 07:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This has been good all-around with a couple of wheelset choices.

Struggle a bit to keep up on the road, and left in the dust by the mtn bikes, but goes everywhere

except severe single track. 18 lbs.

I could get by with this and the road bike if I had to.

Last edited by woodcraft; 02-05-20 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 09:55 PM
Lman
L-man

Bikes: Co Op cty 1.3 -light touring ~1972 Peugeot OU 8 / 1992? Specialized Allez Shimankestien

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Co op cty 1.3 cty ❤️😊

Co-op cty 1.3❤️
Likes For Lman:
Old 02-05-20, 09:57 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
At the moment, I have three bicycles. However, the newest is a replacement for the second-oldest, which will shortly be either sold on or donated to our local co-op. The third (from 2005) I keep for occasional use through the summer at our place 1800kms from home base. I can't be bothered with the hassle of transporting bike #1 back and forth.

So, in spirit I'm a 'one bike' person, and have been since I re-started cycling in '02. I dislike an excess of 'stuff'.

New bike covers everything I need it to do at home base -- long road/paved trail rides; fast 'city'/ride to work rides; gravel/dirt road rides; and a bit of non-technical hard-packed singletrack when the mood takes me -- with just a simple tire switch (Spec. Roubaix Pro 32s for paved; Spec. Pathfinder Pro 38s for unpaved).

Still figuring it out after the first season, but this spring I'll get a decent wheelset and crankset to get rid of the boat-anchor stock ones. That will get the all-up weight down to around 18 lbs or so -- right where I like it.

Works for me.

Old 02-05-20, 11:56 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Lman
Co op cty 1.3 cty ❤️😊

Co-op cty 1.3❤️
Is that a bell, or a hamburger case?
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-06-20, 10:29 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Is that a bell, or a hamburger case?
I'll bet even people with earbuds in can hear that hamburger case.
Old 02-06-20, 10:57 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
If I could only keep one it would be the 29er full-suspension, with a spare set of narrow width wheels w/slicks for more efficient road/MUP/commuting. Technical MTB is just too much fun to give up, and can't/shouldn't be done (by me) with anything less than full squish. The downside is that I'd have to give up group rides with the roadies, or find a much slower group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.