Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Camel Promotional Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Camel Promotional Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 06:01 PM
Smokythecamel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camel Promotional Bike

Hi Comunity

I have an old bike that im trying to get some more information on. It's a camel themed cigarettes bike I've searched the forum but have found little to no information on it.

What i've noted
Steal and very heavy
Manufactured in Korea by Dea Yung
off-brand hardware
bright green

any information would be very helpful, id like to know more about this fun bike
Old 02-28-20, 06:31 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
Anything like this?
Most promotional bicycles are the cheapest thing they could put their name on.
Occasionally they will be a decent to mid level bike, for example I had a 42 below vodka fixed gear pass through my hands that was a decent bike and Leinenkugel's beer had a Gary Fisher.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-bicycle.html
Old 02-28-20, 10:32 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Definitely gonna need pictures. I know you only have 2 posts so far.
Old 02-28-20, 11:11 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Anything like this?
Most promotional bicycles are the cheapest thing they could put their name on.
Occasionally they will be a decent to mid level bike, for example I had a 42 below vodka fixed gear pass through my hands that was a decent bike and Leinenkugel's beer had a Gary Fisher.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-bicycle.html
Yup, just like those cheap pens and keychains you get from most conventions.
Nothing really good or worthwhile is free in this world these days, except for maybe a lotto win.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 02-29-20, 05:45 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The serial number might at least allow us to determine the year.
Old 02-29-20, 10:11 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
The target demographic of a Camel themed bike seems a little odd.
Old 02-29-20, 11:27 AM
T-Mar

It's definitely lower entry level based on the stamped dropouts, safety levers, stem shifters. steel cottered crankkset, steel rims, claw mount rear derailleur and spoke protector. The rear derailleur looks like a Shimano Eagle II clone, while the front looks like a Shimano Thunderbird II clone. The front derailleur has the nose guard between the two cage plates that Shimano introduced for 1977 as part of their CPSC compliance program. Based on that plus the serial number, I'd say the bicycle is circa 1977-1978. I'd appreciate close-up of the photos of the derailleurs. If not Shimano, what are they? DNB?

The saddle is a later addition. The rear derailleur has been re-mounted using a fender eyelet, presumably in an ill informed attempt to get a little more tension.

Selective photo assist:

Old 02-29-20, 11:33 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
That would have been before the Camel "miles" promotion.
Old 02-29-20, 11:41 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,684 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
That would have been before the Camel "miles" promotion.
Marlboro had miles. Camel had Camel Bucks.

As to the green bike in photos, the headbadge typeface seem doesn't match Camel cigarettes typeface. I'd have to look at some 70s Camel advertising/packaging to see if it matches at all.
Old 02-29-20, 12:10 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Ironic, yes, but they weren't the only ones. If you see a red '90s Fuji MTB with a folding frame, those were "Marlboro Miles" promotional bikes (see post 9). Cheap like this one ^^^^^, but with the folding frame, at least quirky enough that they might have some collector value. There was one locked up for months up the street from me, obviously abandoned, red finish fading by the day, finally cut off by the City, anybody's guess where it is now.

Last edited by madpogue; 02-29-20 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-29-20, 12:17 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I am no way familiar with the bike in question or possible promotion done by the cigarette company.
There is a Korean bicycle manufacturer called Camel that is in no way associated with the cigarette company. If the above bike is a picture of, or representative of the one in question by OP, what is leading to the suspicion that it is a promotional "vehicle"?

When I worked at the bike shop was during the big "microbrewery" push. We had a promotional bike for Fat Tire, later we got a Laughing Skull bike. They were both complete bits of trash. I recall that as a joke one of the guys rode the Fat Tire beer bike on a group ride with a six pack in the front basket (as designed). I am betting he was glad he brought it considering that the bike broke a chain about halfway and he had to sit and wait for someone to come get him.
Old 02-29-20, 12:25 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
any information would be very helpful, id like to know more about this fun bike
Though I have little information, pertaining to the bicycle itself, it has been my experience that such promotional bicycles are, basically entry level machines that have minimal value as a rider or as a collectible steed. Sorry to offer such a negative opinion. I have owned several promotional bicycles, and not one tended to impress me in any way. Again, sorry to be a bubble buster. That said...

There is no reason to not refurbish it and ride it, for a while. You just might enjoy the experience.
Old 02-29-20, 01:43 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I thought it was going to be an 80’s kids bike.
Old 02-29-20, 02:05 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
I agree with all the previous posters that it isn't anything special.

Having said that, I do like the look of the frame. Geometry, cable guides and stops, eyelets for fenders and racks, chromed socks. I'll second randyjawa 's suggestion to go ride it, and see if you like how it feels. If you like it, paint it in your favorite color scheme, rebuild it with better parts and you'll have a very nice weekend tourer.

Just my two cents.

Old 03-02-20, 08:03 AM
Smokythecamel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honestly, thats why a bought the bike, very
Old 03-02-20, 08:19 AM
Smokythecamel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's definitely lower entry level based on the stamped dropouts, safety levers, stem shifters. steel cottered crankkset, steel rims, claw mount rear derailleur and spoke protector. The rear derailleur looks like a Shimano Eagle II clone, while the front looks like a Shimano Thunderbird II clone. The front derailleur has the nose guard between the two cage plates that Shimano introduced for 1977 as part of their CPSC compliance program. Based on that plus the serial number, I'd say the bicycle is circa 1977-1978. I'd appreciate close-up of the photos of the derailleurs. If not Shimano, what are they? DNB?

The saddle is a later addition. The rear derailleur has been re-mounted using a fender eyelet, presumably in an ill informed attempt to get a little more tension.

Selective photo assist
i tried to post more photos but I still don't have enough posts, maybe you can assist again?

Thanks for the info, I'm still pretty new to bike.

I love the wild background story of this bike
Old 03-02-20, 08:53 AM
T-Mar

I concur with Juan Foote. This does not appear to be a promotional bicycle for Camel cigarettes but simply a Camel brand bicycle. Typically, big companies, especially tobacco companies, are dependent on branding which is established through distinctive logos and images. In this case, the decals use two different fonts for the Camel brand and neither one matches the distinctive font of the cigarette brand. Had this been a promo bicycle for the cigarette they would certainly have employed the font which is instantly recognizeable and associated with their cigarettes.

As I suspected, the rear derailleur is a Shimano Eagle II and not an off-brand as stated in the OP's original post. Assuming it is OEM, this dates the bicycle no earlier than ther 1977 model year. Given the era, it should have a dual letter date code that can be used to narrow down the year of the bicycle.

More pics:

Old 03-02-20, 09:05 AM
Smokythecamel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I concur with Juan Foote. This does not appear to be a promotional bicycle for Camel cigarettes but simply a Camel brand bicycle. Typically, big companies, especially tobacco companies, are dependent on branding which is established through distinctive logos and images. In this case, the decals use two different fonts for the Camel brand and neither one matches the distinctive font of the cigarette brand. Had this been a promo bicycle for the cigarette they would certainly have employed the font which is instantly recognizeable and associated with their cigarettes.

As I suspected, the rear derailleur is a Shimano Eagle II and not an off-brand as stated in the OP's original post. Assuming it is OEM, this dates the bicycle no earlier than ther 1977 model year. Given the era, it should have a dual letter date code that can be used to narrow down the year of the bicycle.

More pics:
tried to upload photos of the serial # and what I thought was the manufacturer (Dea Yung).
Dea Yung might be the bikes maker but not the brand?
Old 03-02-20, 10:45 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-02-20, 12:50 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
I don't believe this is a promotional bike for Camel tobacco.

That said, Players Cigs had a series of collector cards of various sports, including cycling.