Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Cycling Events or Trips Do You Have Planned for 2020?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What Cycling Events or Trips Do You Have Planned for 2020?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 01:55 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My first tour was going to be Natchez Trace in April. It was solo with the wife sagging for me.....but I’m betting there will be travel restrictions and restaurants closed. We have a flight booked for May. That’s probably iffy at best.
Old 03-18-20, 04:24 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
My first trip was already a no-go a few weeks ago, to Seattle. The conference was cancelled and while we thought we may go anyway it was already getting ominous. The second part of the trip was Vancouver but we didn't want to find ourselves in Canada and quarantined there if they close the border.
Old 03-19-20, 03:04 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
OK, looks like a few modifications are needed to my schedule. I still hope to do Marinica, but our socializing before, during and after the ride will be substantially curtailed. We might have to carry our own food too since restaurants are unlikely to be open. There's still a chance that Cino could still be on. We'll have to see.

Originally Posted by davester
I've got a few rides lined up:

1. Marinica is a 70 mile ride that I lead each year just north of San Francisco. It's an unofficial precursor to Eroica California, held the week before (March 28).
2. Two days after Marinica a group of us are going to do a four day credit card tour from SF down to Cambria, where Eroica CA is held. We're calling this Touroica, or Tour d'Eroica, or various other silly names
3. I will of course be riding Eroica California. Almost certainly the 85 mile version, part pavement, part gravel, all vintage.
4. I just signed up to ride the Davis Double Century (aka the Heart of California Double Century). I DNFed last year due to major mechanical problems. My riding buddies also DNFed later on due to severe weather conditions. Hoping for better circumstances this year.

5. Cino! A vintage ride in Montana in mid-September. It's two days of gravel riding, something over 100 miles.
6. Post-Cino, hoping to ride the Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park.

That should do it!
Old 03-22-20, 03:35 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Update:
1. Still doing the DC to Mt. Vernon ride next month.
2. ADA Tour de Cure in Lake Nona at the end of March.
3. I decided on the Crater Lake Century. My flight, hotels and car rental are all booked. The time has been reserved at work for time off.
4. I just registered yesterday for the inaugural GFNY Sebring, Florida for October 25.
5. I still plan to do the Horrible Hundred in November. I missed it last year and really missed doing it.
1. My meeting in DC was cancelled so therefore my ride to Mt. Vernon was too.
2. ADA Tour de Cure has been postponed indefinitely.
3. I hope I'm able to do the Crater Lake Century in August.
4. GFNY Florida Sebring in October.
5. Horrible Hundred in November.

So three out of five... hopefully!
Old 03-22-20, 04:14 PM
LeoBoon

Bikes: RiH randonneur 1983 - RIH Sport 1977 - Marinoni 1986 - Rih special 1978 - Marin Verona carbon 2016 - Rocky Mountain Equippe - Trek 970 SingleTrack MTB - Kuwahara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Planning to ride the Gulf Island

I rode the Canadian Gulf Island in the early 80s. Now that I retired to Vancouver Island we have been riding some of the islands last summer. Now it is time for riding the hilly ones, such as Cortez, Salt Spring and we hope to do some of the American ones. Will see if the borders open in July or August. As we are flexible with our time we probably adjust our planned trips to later in the summer and cycle the roads and a lot of trails around Parksville, Qualicum, COmox Valley and Cowichan Valley. Cleaning up the mountainbikes right now and leaving the road bikes for a few weeks.
Old 03-22-20, 07:16 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
1. My meeting in DC was cancelled so therefore my ride to Mt. Vernon was too.
2. ADA Tour de Cure has been postponed indefinitely.
3. I hope I'm able to do the Crater Lake Century in August.
4. GFNY Florida Sebring in October.
5. Horrible Hundred in November.

So three out of five... hopefully!
I used to live in Oregon and loved Crater Lake. It's gotta be one of the most scenic rides. We were headed there in early June one year for a vacation and literally the night before, we checked the Forest Service website and the roads were still closed due to snow! We delayed to August and it was perfect.

Good luck and enjoy that ride. By then all the restrictions should be lifted...
Old 03-27-20, 03:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We are Ride Organisers for several events.
We were Ride Organisers for several events.
Old 03-27-20, 11:45 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
This thread started before the onset of the Apocalypse, so all bets are off. That being said, if we're all still alive in November then I intend to do the Tour de Tucson century ride. There's a Tour de Mesa that I'd like to do as well. If I can find a group that's interested I wouldn't mind driving down to Tucson again and climbing Mt. Lemmon. That's a pretty kick-butt ride that I've done once before and wouldn't mind doing again, though I'd rather do it with a group and not by myself.
Old 03-29-20, 09:10 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Had a couple of events in mind in Socal, but now everything is cancelled or on the edge of begin so. Oh well....
Old 04-01-20, 09:34 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Since everything else has been cancelled I think my first event will be the grand tour of Brooklyn. 50 miles of on street and off street riding. No doubling back except one dead-end on a strip of land that goes out into the harbor, which can be skipped but I think it comes up a bit short of 50 then. Just one big continuous loop. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31084584 This doesn't include to/from my house, which I'd rather not show, but that little extra take it to 51 miles. It also doesn't include some new short bike paths as they just aren't on the map and I couldn't force it to follow the route.