Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Powder Coater recommendations in Milwaukee area

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-03-20, 06:39 PM
morri869 

Bikes: 1984 Lotus Classique, 1996 Cannondale T700

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 67 Posts

When this stay at home thing ends, I am hoping to get an older Bianchi Special stripped and powdercoated. I'm still considering the color, but maybe a shade of Celeste perhaps?

​​​​​​From what I have seen and heard from the threads here, the outcome of powdercoating greatly depends on who does the work. Has anyone used a place in the Milwaukee area and have a good recommendation?
Old 04-03-20, 07:31 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
If you decide to ship the frame or if you ever get over to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area I would recommend Powder Coat Man. He has done a half dozen frames for me and does a great job. He is cheap too.
Old 04-03-20, 08:13 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,270 Posts
I've gone through 4 different powder coaters, one went out of business, one moved out of the area, one is in Kansas City, the other is local and still in business (I think, we'll see hopefully in a few months.

All of them did at least an acceptable job. If you find someone that does a reasonable amount of bicycles, they'll probably do a decent job. Two tone, masked jobs, decals and clear coat are a different level of skill.

You're best off finding someone reasonably local to you. I do know that there are a lot of areas that just don't have anybody to choose from. If you need to ship a frame, Groody Brothers in Kansas City isn't too far to ship to from Milwaukee. I'd recommend them.