Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sourcing an inexpensive 24" rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 02:37 PM
mc510

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've fixing up an old beater department store bike (mtn bike styled) for my kid to ride to school, and I need to get a new 24" 32H alloy rim for the front wheel. I don't need anything fancy or expensive, just a basic rim of the same basic mass-market quality that it came with. (Original rim, btw, was Weinmann TM19.) Shops around here don't stock 24" rims, and are mostly focused on high-end parts ... but if I know of a particular mass-market/low-cost rim to ask for, they might be able to order it for me. I haven't found much of anything online, either. Only thing I've found that's in the ballpark is this no-name direct from china rim, but that might be a little too junky. I'd consider buying a pre-built wheel, except that the hubs on the inexpensive ones are total crap, and the ones with decent hubs are much more expensive than this bike justifies. Thanks for any advice
Old 10-09-19, 02:57 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I'd probably do a Sun Ringle Rhyno lite, budget allowing.
https://www.amazon.com/SunRingle-Rhy.../dp/B001CK2IAW

They're genuinely nice--I've done 26" rims for touring builds.
Old 10-09-19, 03:34 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I'd check the thrift shops.
It'll probably have a BSO attached.
Old 10-09-19, 04:00 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
mc510,
You have one too many filters on your request! That inexpensive part is the one breaking me up laughing.
I can go into my co-op tonight and get a whole wheel set in 24" for you at no cost. But the last two rims I sent to Columbus, OH was close to $30 for shipping! So the in-expensive part goes out the window. If yer interested call me tonight and I'll get some wheels, but I leave tomorrow for a trip to the land of permanent insanity* for a week. MH 812-336-3283

*Washington, DC

Last edited by Mad Honk; 10-09-19 at 04:02 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-09-19, 04:38 PM
mc510

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I'd check the thrift shops. It'll probably have a BSO attached.
Yeah, been watching thrift stores for a while; surprisingly our local thrifts get very, very few bikes of any kind in them.

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
mc510,
I can go into my co-op tonight and get a whole wheel set in 24" for you at no cost. But the last two rims I sent to Columbus, OH was close to $30 for shipping!
Yeah, shipping has become crazy expensive for ordinary people; I notice this every time I sell something on eBay. Somehow, though, online merchants seem able to ship stuff much, much cheaper than us regular chumps.

Thanks for mentioning co-op; reminds me that I need to visit our local youth non-profit bike org, which stocks and sells old parts. Might find something there, though I'm getting th impression that 24" is a pretty unusual size.
Old 10-09-19, 06:21 PM
mc510

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
So would you like for me to go get the wheel/wheels or not? Smiles, MH
Oh, I think you're right about the shipping cost being prohibitive, but thanks for the offer!
Old 10-10-19, 02:27 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Local co-op or even check the junk/scrap yards, may have a wheel for you there that is not in too bad shape.

Where are you, no location in your profile.

Old 10-10-19, 07:21 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
People seldom buy a rim and lace it in to existing hubs for kids bikes - generally we buy (or find) a ready-built 24" wheel. A bike shop will be able to order you a whole wheel for ~$40...

Here is a link to a wheel from a large Canadian distributor
https://www.hlc.bike/ca/Catalog/Prod...vid=5637263243

Similar wheels should be available at any bike shop. Or, as suggested above, find an old kids bike and scavenge the front wheel. You can likely pick up a whole 24" wheel kids bike for ~20 at a yard sale.