Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'73 Holdsworth

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'73 Holdsworth

Old 02-13-20, 09:00 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
'73 Holdsworth

The decals look worse, viewed in person...

Very cool bike, but it looks pretty rough, especially the big "HOLDSWORTH" decals on the top and down tubes. So I am soliciting opinions on what to do...
1) clean and prevent add'l damage, or:
2) full on restore (not happening), or:
3)(my inclination) to try restoring(?) or replacing just the main decals, perhaps with some minor paint touch-up. I am well aware that replacement decals will be much newer looking than the paint surrounding them. Perhaps then try to artfully distress the new decals? This is what scenic artists in the film business often do, but yikes... It's a bike for Pete's sake. An iconic bike. Originally I was going with option 1, but decals are worse than I thought. That's all.
Cheers, Eric
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 02-13-20, 09:06 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
The paint looks very decent. I'd replace the decals. It's too bad that you only have two Holdsworths to refurb,
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-13-20, 09:13 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
I really dig that combo of a TA and a campy RD. That opens up the door to some great gear combos.

What are the brakes? Are these the wheels you are going to use?
Old 02-13-20, 09:19 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Hello Eric,

Congratulations on this new arrival!

Definite "retain & ride" option #3 .

Silly question - "how did a Dia-Compe brake cable clip find its way onto a Holdsworth Professional cycle?"

Silly question II - In photos chainstays appear to be rapier pattern. Is that correct?

---

Transfer tip -

transfers are likely to be varnish fixing. if this is the case you might wish to read up a bit on this system before beginning replacement. alternately, you could have the local framebuilder do them for you to achieve the best result...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-13-20 at 09:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-13-20, 09:53 PM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by bikemig
I really dig that combo of a TA and a campy RD. That opens up the door to some great gear combos.

What are the brakes? Are these the wheels you are going to use?
Came with those wheels and modern stem adapter and stem. Brakes were rear modulo flash, front universal early side pull. It was used by the original owner's daughter as a commuter. Saddle big and soft. She's moving to a modern bike.
I have some flat skewer Campy record wheels, and Universal centerpulls w/ the levers, from '71 that I plan to use.
They were used a lot in New England (probably everwhere) back then, by tourers and folks just trying to save some cash.
The bars on it, were old engraved GB, with that modern stem. So I've got GB stem/ GB bars. Yahoo!
Old 02-13-20, 10:04 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I think the paint will clean up nicely and the bike would look great with new decals. I recently did a complete refinish of my '72 Holdsworth Professional that I purchased last summer. It had a rattle can paint job with no decals so I had to do a refinish. If I owned your bike I would just get new decals. Here is a link to the decals I purchased for my rebuild. They are pretty nice. https://www.ebay.com/itm/0648-Holdsw...IAAOSww9xZCPvH

BTW, mine had a TA crankset when I bought it that I replaced with Campy to match the rest of the components.
Old 02-14-20, 04:29 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I like the long chrome in back--I've repainted a Witcomb (of London) frame that had chrome socks front and back, and left lots of chrome exposed, figured why cover up good chrome with paint that will be chipped? Some felt that was not authentic, but I've seen numerous examples of UK bikes with long chrome, now including this one.

FWIW, I'd replace decals if the old decals can be removed without goofing up the paint!
Old 02-14-20, 08:53 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by KenNC
I like the long chrome in back--I've repainted a Witcomb (of London) frame that had chrome socks front and back, and left lots of chrome exposed, figured why cover up good chrome with paint that will be chipped? Some felt that was not authentic, but I've seen numerous examples of UK bikes with long chrome, now including this one.

FWIW, I'd replace decals if the old decals can be removed without goofing up the paint!

Glad to provide additional confirmation for you, regarding the long chrome socks.

The pinstriping and chrome are relatively intact, as is most of the paint. The bike looks almost as if it got leaned up in the same way or the same place year after year, and ended up scaping the top tube decals the most, especially on the NDS. The rest of the frame is in significantly better shape, and hopefully will clean up nicely.

Thanks to posters above for support and confirmation of my approach. And thank you for your source for the decals.

I'm kicking myself for NOT getting NOS Witcomb decals 5 years ago when HLloydCycles still had them (and roughly the same cost, IIRC). I have a Witcomb track bike (Bright red, no chrome) bought from the West Hill Shop in 1975 that needs new decals. (Looking for pics, it's packed away at my folks.)

Regarding NR components, I am trying broaden my component mix, with appropriate frames. I remember these bikes in particular sometimes not being full NR, just headset, hubs, and shifters (I have a set of bar end shifters to put on the Holdsworth, though I can't remember if I have the stainless cable housings ...

CHeers, Eric
Old 02-14-20, 09:07 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by KenNC

Glad to provide additional confirmation for you, regarding the long chrome socks.

The pinstriping and chrome are relatively intact, as is most of the paint. The bike looks almost as if it got leaned up in the same way or the same place year after year, and ended up scaping the top tube decals the most, especially on the NDS. The rest of the frame is in significantly better shape, and hopefully will clean up nicely.

I'm glad to get support and confirmation of my approach. And thanks for your source for the decals.

I'm kicking myself for NOT getting NOS Witcomb decals 5 years ago when HLloydCycles still had them (and roughly the same cost, IIRC). I have a Witcomb track bike (Bright red, no chrome) bought from the West Hill Shop in 1975 that needs new decals. (Looking for pics, it's packed away at my folks.)

Regarding NR components, I am trying broaden my component mix, with appropriate frames. I remember these bikes in particular sometimes not being full NR, just headset, hubs, and shifters (I have a set of bar end shifters to put on the Holdsworth, though I can't remember if I have the stainless cable housings ...

CHeers, Eric